Pages:
Author

Topic: Ripple or Bitcoin - page 49. (Read 34110 times)

Activity: 756
Merit: 522
May 25, 2013, 03:05:11 PM
Isn't Joel Katz the retard of cherry truck fame? Oh yes he is. Heh.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
May 25, 2013, 11:49:46 AM
Dear JoelKatz,
I'm happily outing myself as a fan of yours. My English is by far not as good as yours, but your work is admirable. Keep up the good work. THANK YOU!

My feelings exactly... Thank you JoelKatz!
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
May 25, 2013, 10:30:30 AM

"I am an employee of OpenCoin"

At least you are honest about that. Everyone has to earn a living, but man, I dont know how you sleep at night.

Says a poker hustler whoring a sleazy gambling site on a cryptocurrency forum...
To an elite software engineer making an honest living.

Building >>> Exploiting

I wanna wear a vial of JoelKatz blood around my neck.
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1002
amarha
May 25, 2013, 08:23:11 AM
At least you are honest about that. Everyone has to earn a living, but man, I dont know how you sleep at night.
The secret is to never make an argument you don't believe or can't rationally defend and to concede when you are wrong as quickly as possible rather than digging yourself in further. I have also learned that extending people an almost unreasonably strong presumption that they are arguing in good faith goes a long way as well. The range of honest disagreement is much broader than generally appreciated and as long as you're not talking about religion, most people can be reached by reason eventually. You just have to keep trying.

Were you well versed in amature internet arguing before becoming a professional? Have you lost your love for the game now that you do it for a living?

I know you're Chief Cryptographer for Open Coin, but I can only assume they pay you a second salary for your work online as Vice President of Retard Management.
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
Martijn Meijering
May 25, 2013, 05:57:34 AM
However, it would seems it would make it easier to trade bitcoins as well.

For me that is the killer application for Ripple.
Activity: 756
Merit: 522
May 25, 2013, 05:56:38 AM
I'm not sure what you mean. I think you're viewing Ripple and Bitcoin through an unreasonably competitive lens. Ripple and Bitcoin are not going to be like Coke and Pepsi any time soon,
If Coke is USD, and Pepsi is EUR, then Bitcoin is New Coke and Ripple is a system of tubes that sprays any liquid you want to deliver into your friends' mouths. XRP would be the pressurized air that runs this system of tubes; you can trade bottles of this pressurized air but you can't drink it, only use it to send liquids throught the tubes. And you'd only let those you trust pour things into your mouth over the internet, so if you want give some raw milk to a friend of a friend in Japan, you pour the raw milk into the mouth of a mutual friend that you both trust, and he'll forward the raw milk to the guy in Japan. Excelsior!

You sir are too cool for this place and thus hereby cordially invited to #bitcoin-assets.

Ripple is an innovative banking system made by people who don't understand the most basic facts about banking or finance. As such, even if it worked technically (which it probably won't, seeing how the geniuses behind MtGox came up with the world's most victim of its own success trade engine already) it is still guaranteed to drown us in lol.

FTFY.
Activity: 188
Merit: 102
May 16, 2013, 10:23:16 PM
The secret is to never make an argument you don't believe or can't rationally defend and to concede when you are wrong as quickly as possible rather than digging yourself in further. I have also learned that extending people an almost unreasonably strong presumption that they are arguing in good faith goes a long way as well. The range of honest disagreement is much broader than generally appreciated and as long as you're not talking about religion, most people can be reached by reason eventually. You just have to keep trying.

The way that some people are reacting to Ripple you might as well be talking about religion. 
Activity: 188
Merit: 102
May 16, 2013, 10:07:18 PM

I misunderstood.

I'm sorry I'm taking your quote out of context, but it really defines the main problem that besets Ripple at the moment. 
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007
May 15, 2013, 03:38:47 AM
ripple.com will be a fine service, it will be technologically disruptive, but not so much politically.

I said already that its biggest problem (for bitcoiners anyway) is privacy, as you'd mostly use only one address or account for anything.

And guess what: http://gigaom.com/2013/05/14/google-ventures-invests-in-opencoin-the-firm-behind-bitcoin-exchange-ripple/
Activity: 10
Merit: 0
May 14, 2013, 08:59:48 PM
Dear JoelKatz,
I'm happily outing myself as a fan of yours. My English is by far not as good as yours, but your work is admirable. Keep up the good work. THANK YOU!
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012
Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.
May 14, 2013, 08:01:52 PM
Activity: 1036
May 14, 2013, 04:39:11 PM

"I am an employee of OpenCoin"

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012
Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.
May 14, 2013, 12:25:04 PM
or you issue an iou and the debtor refuses to pay or cannot pay back
If you're talking about the personal/community credit model, there's no reason you should mind. In this model, you would extend me $50 credit for only two reasons:

1) You are willing to lose up to $50 to help me out. This is not that unreasonable. If a friend called you up and asked you to come over and help them move some things, you probably would, giving them $50 worth of labor. So lending them $50 when they need it is not out of the range of what friends do. (Especially since Ripple "makes" them automatically return the favor if they are able to.)

2) You want to hold my IOUs because you can use them to trade with others in my network.

In either case, you should be perfectly happy for me to have a negative balance. In the first case, you are helping them out, the very thing you were trying to do. In the second case, you've acquired IOUs you can spend, the very thing you were trying to do.

You will also make be able to make a circular payment to settle inside the system directly, assuming they hold any asset of value denominated in the same currency. This isn't implemented in a way that makes it easy to do yet, but it is planned.

This will require some social changes to work. People will have to be willing to be a little bit more open about their finances. These changes may not happen, but if you look at things like Facebook and texting, they also required social changes and they caught on. So who knows. I hope Ripple gets adopted as a payment system and gradually changes into something more like this.
Activity: 714
Martijn Meijering
May 14, 2013, 07:00:24 AM
Gateways don't hold XRP, and you get to set your trust limits for every user, including gateways. By default, you don't trust anyone.
legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1022
May 14, 2013, 06:36:04 AM
I don't necessarily believe Ripple's unit (XRP) is not meant to be a currency. They even say that plan on funding their operations with it. And if it gained widespread acceptance then why use any other currency within their framework at all? In addition, A VC like Andreesen Horowitz would not be involved unless their was some serious bank to be made if things went well. I say that as a former senior associate at a VC fund.

I just don't appreciate the shadiness of the operation. It's clearly a competitor. They need to release the source code and show us the pitch deck (business model) they showed Andreesen. Otherwise why should I promote a cryptocurrency framework with 100% of the money supply in the hands of the founder with their discretion on how they will distribute. No thanks.

Yeah that's the biggest thing.  Once they're out of beta and they release the source, I pray the first thing a developer does is fork it to remove any trace of XRP from the whole thing.  I like a lot about this system, I just don't like them keeping millions (billions?) for themselves, or using XRP to do anything within the Ripple system at all.

I just don see how ripple is enforceable when a trusted gate way just decided to take all the ripple it has

or you issue an iou and the debtor refuses to pay or cannot pay back
Activity: 524
Merit: 502
May 14, 2013, 04:53:55 AM
They're about to release a whole lot more ripple to people who submitted their email addresses and that is when this bubble will pop, depending on how much they release exactly.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)
May 14, 2013, 02:13:20 AM
Well if you get them for free you can sell them to the naive ones  Grin and run away before a collapse xd
Activity: 7
Merit: 0
May 11, 2013, 02:10:28 PM
Can I buy 1 ripple and save it for later if takes off, will the value increase like the bitcoin?
Activity: 546
May 11, 2013, 11:50:00 AM
Could Ripple XRP replace bitcoin before it is widely accepted?
If ripple allows users to send money instantly and almost fee free, with a pretty and easy to use UI.
Plenty of money to burn on advertising and reputation building.
Business and Financial connections likely to get them accepted on large merchant sites.
Why would the average person have any interest in Bitcoin?

More important could Ripple become controlled by business or government?

I'm not suggesting any of this is fact.
Just wanna hear the opinions of people that actually know stuff.

Bitcoin is decentralized. Just think; "decentralized". How many people control Ripple?

We also have another thread about this here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=201794.0;all
staff
Activity: 3290
Merit: 4114
May 11, 2013, 09:37:35 AM
AGAIN, another one of these posts, these are proving popular today.

Look in my sig, the ripple scam.
Pages:
Jump to: