Pages:
Author

Topic: Ripple or Bitcoin - page 50. (Read 34110 times)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0
May 11, 2013, 09:36:56 AM
Bitcoin forever  Grin
Activity: 31
May 11, 2013, 09:21:04 AM
since the opencoins business model is to hold XRP, give some for free, work hard on Ripple and hope it will succeed so XRP will appreciate, then i would say that investing in this company is basically the same like buying XRP
XRP are basically "glue" to prevent transaction spam. If XRP appreciates enough such that transactions are prohibitively expensive they will just release more into the system (for example by giving more away, or selling cheaply) to damp the price. So the upside is limited.

i dont think they are going to give XRPs for free after they are out of beta. Also i have read somewhere that transaction fees are dynamic, if it becomes expensive to make transaction they will decrease the cost of it.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1022
No Maps for These Territories
May 11, 2013, 09:09:02 AM
since the opencoins business model is to hold XRP, give some for free, work hard on Ripple and hope it will succeed so XRP will appreciate, then i would say that investing in this company is basically the same like buying XRP
XRP are basically "glue" to prevent transaction spam. If XRP appreciates enough such that transactions are prohibitively expensive they will just release more into the system (for example by giving more away, or selling cheaply) to damp the price. So the upside is limited.
Activity: 31
May 11, 2013, 08:46:39 AM
You guys want a reason to invest in Ripple -> http://a16z.com/ Boom. You think these billionaires didn't comb through OpenCoin's 5-yr plan with a magnifying glass the size of Texas? They see a money maker and honestly so do I. At the very least it's a worthy way to diversify.
They invest in the company. That makes much more sense than buying XRP as an investment.

Activity: 14
May 11, 2013, 06:07:22 AM

I think it will come to collaborate  Roll Eyes BTC
Activity: 14
May 11, 2013, 05:34:55 AM
are different, because the ripple is controlled, bt is free from control and does not have a "boss", and this is a project that is so revolutionary
Activity: 812
Merit: 1022
No Maps for These Territories
May 11, 2013, 05:16:50 AM
You guys want a reason to invest in Ripple -> http://a16z.com/ Boom. You think these billionaires didn't comb through OpenCoin's 5-yr plan with a magnifying glass the size of Texas? They see a money maker and honestly so do I. At the very least it's a worthy way to diversify.
They invest in the company. That makes much more sense than buying XRP as an investment.
Activity: 115
Merit: 10
May 11, 2013, 12:35:20 AM
If PayPal got their hands on Ripple, (or Bitcoin) I'd be worried...

"Your Ripple/Bitcoins have been frozen due to unauthorized or suspicious activity. In the interests of the security of our users we are unable to divulge details about this activity. Your account has been suspended. This decision is final. There is no appeal. This email address is not monitored. Do not reply to this email. Thanks for your understanding. Have a nice day."

No thanks.

Activity: 36
May 10, 2013, 10:16:00 PM
Activity: 1036
Merit: 500
May 10, 2013, 09:50:38 PM
I cant believe people find value in Ripple, at all. See my sig.

Activity: 700
May 10, 2013, 04:26:40 PM
I sold all my ripples recently, the way it's going is unsustainable and i hate to call it but it's an obvious bubble.
Right now 8000 XRP is worth 1 Bitcoin or 120 USD. Now consider the fact that XRP at this point is completely useless, you can't do anything with it but hold, nowhere to spend. Not more then couple of weeks ago the going rate was 150K per 1 Bitcoin.

I might buy some back when this bubble pops, but right now the price is completely insane.

And given the fact that they give away 20,000 in the Giveaway thread. That means each bittalk forum account is worth $300. I'm with you on this one. Who did you sell to btw? Thinking of getting rid of mine too.
Activity: 626
https://satoshibet.com
May 10, 2013, 03:40:50 PM
I sold all my ripples recently, the way it's going is unsustainable and i hate to call it but it's an obvious bubble.
Right now 8000 XRP is worth 1 Bitcoin or 120 USD. Now consider the fact that XRP at this point is completely useless, you can't do anything with it but hold, nowhere to spend. Not more then couple of weeks ago the going rate was 150K per 1 Bitcoin.

I might buy some back when this bubble pops, but right now the price is completely insane.
Activity: 102
May 10, 2013, 02:49:54 PM
I meant "everything in my ripple wallet"
Activity: 102
May 10, 2013, 02:48:25 PM
About the gateways specifically, I have this thought:

If I have a profitable business in country "A", and convert my dollars into ripple dollars and send it to a gateway in another country. I will depend on someone to buy my ripple dollars. If it is the gateway itself they would depend on their capacity of selling my ripple dollars to someone else later. If its is someone biding for ripple dollars I will depend on someone willing to buy them. So, to withdrawal real money in the end of the line, I will depend on someone to buy my ripple dollars.

This means that ripple dollars, or euros, or whatever is in my ripple client is virtual money, and my ripple dollar could be worth a half fiat dollar, or the double.

So, they should just use XRP as a currency, because anything in my ripple wallet is a virtual thing that I will have to sell someone else for a real thing.

Am I nuts? or this makes sense?
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007
Activity: 663
Merit: 501
quarkchain.io
April 23, 2013, 08:27:14 PM
If Coke is USD, and Pepsi is EUR, then Bitcoin is New Coke and Ripple is a system of tubes that sprays any liquid you want to deliver into your friends' mouths. XRP would be the pressurized air that runs this system of tubes; you can trade bottles of this pressurized air but you can't drink it, only use it to send liquids throught the tubes. And you'd only let those you trust pour things into your mouth over the internet, so if you want give some raw milk to a friend of a friend in Japan, you pour the raw milk into the mouth of a mutual friend that you both trust, and he'll forward the raw milk to the guy in Japan. Excelsior!

Someone really needs to put this quote on a t-shirt and sell them at the bitcoin conference in May.
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
April 23, 2013, 04:14:31 PM
Could Ripple XRP replace Becton

No, it couldn't.
legendary
Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008
April 23, 2013, 03:35:30 PM

The XRP production schedule could be set to create 100 billion XRP over the course of 10 years at either a fixed or a decelerating rate, with the target difficulty adjusted to maintain the rate of production.

XRP is a premined altcoin tacked onto the ripple project only to pay the developers, er, board of directors.     

Plus, Ripple gets guidance via CEO and a board of directors who are doing the legwork to make the system successful, instead of a bunch of neckbeards whose idea of satisfying customers is implementing "M of N signature transactions".

We're working hard to make the board of directors and CEO a lot of coins.  We are not really interested in helping people secure financial transactions. 
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012
Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.
April 23, 2013, 01:13:04 PM
Basically Ripple has an army of their own investors stalking everything from coinbase to reddit to ensure that their system of currency exchange doesnt fail. They must have huge chunks invested in it already and for that very reason, you should stay far away.
Are you trying to leave more for everyone else or do you just prefer to wait for something more likely to fail?
Activity: 42
April 23, 2013, 01:08:20 PM
Basically Ripple has an army of their own investors stalking everything from coinbase to reddit to ensure that their system of currency exchange doesnt fail. They must have huge chunks invested in it already and for that very reason, you should stay far away.
Pages:
Jump to: