Pages:
Author

Topic: Ripple: The Best Way To Legitimize Bitcoin - page 3. (Read 13027 times)

Activity: 714
Merit: 500
Martijn Meijering
December 13, 2013, 09:06:19 PM
Sure are. I was just going to suggest that since Ripple is open source, we should create a Ripple with BTC (or NMC) as the native currency (instead of XRP), and thus resolve the issue that the initial creators controlled 100% of the XRP.

So you admit it's actually a very good system?
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000
nahtnam.com
December 13, 2013, 09:04:12 PM
So the full source code of ripple.com is available? If so, great! I will try to copy and rename it and host it myself.

What would you accomplish with this? I don't think they make any money on Ripple.com, other than as a way of promoting the Ripple network, which they will hope will eventually lead to substantial appreciation of XRP. Running a gateway (which means holding fiat currencies and cryptocurrencies other than XRP for safekeeping) or acting as a market maker is how you make money with Ripple, and you don't need Ripple.com for it.

For fun. Also it would be if I could mess with it and port it to BTC. Then I have my own little online wallet running!
Martijn Meijering
December 13, 2013, 09:02:36 PM
So the full source code of ripple.com is available? If so, great! I will try to copy and rename it and host it myself.

What would you accomplish with this? I don't think they make any money on Ripple.com, other than as a way of promoting the Ripple network, which they will hope will eventually lead to substantial appreciation of XRP. Running a gateway (which means holding fiat currencies and cryptocurrencies other than XRP for safekeeping) or acting as a market maker is how you make money with Ripple, and you don't need Ripple.com for it.
legendary
nahtnam.com
December 13, 2013, 09:02:03 PM
That would be an online wallet. As I said before, Ripple isnt fully open source.

You've said it before, and you're wrong. Ripple is now fully open source.

So you are saying that in a few minutes, I can clone Ripple (XRP + Site) EXACTLY how it is?

Just for you (it was already posted in this thread):

To build your own working Ripple network, you need at least 1 rippled server, code at:
https://github.com/ripple/rippled

That's it already, but I guess you want some infrastructure with it?

Then you likely want to have a client instead of writing your own, you can use the one at:
https://github.com/ripple/ripple-client (written in JavaScript)
or you can write your own either using the API or one of these 2 libraries:
https://github.com/ripple/ripple-lib-java (Java)
https://github.com/ripple/ripple-lib (JavaScript)

If you want to store the encrypted blobs for your customers (so they can switch computers and still access their wallets in a secure way) you can set up this server too:
https://github.com/ripple/ripple-blobvault

Afterwards you might want to publish your trades to bitcoincharts.com? There's some code for that!
https://github.com/ripple/ripple-chart

Bitcoincharts is operated by MtGox and closed source though... you'd rather have your own charting website, fully Open source, right?
https://github.com/ripple/ripplecharts

Oh, by the way I operate my own rippled server already for quite some time now, after you know how to compile it (...it is a single command) and where to find the binary then it's smooth sailing from there.

So this is the code of Ripple.com:
https://github.com/ripple/ripple-client
legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006
December 13, 2013, 08:59:47 PM
That would be an online wallet. As I said before, Ripple isnt fully open source.

So you are saying that in a few minutes, I can clone Ripple (XRP + Site) EXACTLY how it is?

Just for you (it was already posted in this thread):

To build your own working Ripple network, you need at least 1 rippled server, code at:
https://github.com/ripple/rippled

That's it already, but I guess you want some infrastructure with it?

Then you likely want to have a client instead of writing your own, you can use the one at:
https://github.com/ripple/ripple-client (written in JavaScript)
or you can write your own either using the API or one of these 2 libraries:
https://github.com/ripple/ripple-lib-java (Java)
https://github.com/ripple/ripple-lib (JavaScript)

If you want to store the encrypted blobs for your customers (so they can switch computers and still access their wallets in a secure way) you can set up this server too:
https://github.com/ripple/ripple-blobvault

Afterwards you might want to publish your trades to bitcoincharts.com? There's some code for that!
https://github.com/ripple/ripple-chart

Bitcoincharts is operated by MtGox and closed source though... you'd rather have your own charting website, fully Open source, right?
https://github.com/ripple/ripplecharts

Oh, by the way I operate my own rippled server already for quite some time now, after you know how to compile it (...it is a single command) and where to find the binary then it's smooth sailing from there.

Edit:
I am talking about Ripple.com not XPM
ripple.com as in the HTML code for the website?! Or do you actually mean ripple.com/client - the code for that is linked above.
Martijn Meijering
December 13, 2013, 08:59:00 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by the online wallet thing. If I understand Ripple correctly, it'd be more like a decentralized network of online wallets/exchanges which all federated with one another to allow very quick transaction confirmations.

As far as Ripple not being fully open source, yeah, I even quoted you saying that!

Wallets aren't stored on gateways, only currencies (except XRP) are. It's the gateways that are federated, not the wallets themselves. Of course, gateways can offer wallet hosting services if they want to, but it isn't required for being (or using) a gateway.
legendary
nahtnam.com
December 13, 2013, 08:57:17 PM
Whats funny is that Ripple inst (fully) open source. They are like twitter, claiming to be open source because a tiny part of their script is online.

Your right, Ripple is affraid their brand is not recognized enough to allow publish full open source, and they are right

Sure are. I was just going to suggest that since Ripple is open source, we should create a Ripple with BTC (or NMC) as the native currency (instead of XRP), and thus resolve the issue that the initial creators controlled 100% of the XRP.

Still, if the underlying idea isn't patented, isn't this something we could do?

I'm not sure what you mean by the online wallet thing. If I understand Ripple correctly, it'd be more like a decentralized network of online wallets/exchanges which all federated with one another to allow very quick transaction confirmations.

As far as Ripple not being fully open source, yeah, I even quoted you saying that!

I am talking about Ripple.com not XPM
legendary
nahtnam.com
December 13, 2013, 08:56:48 PM
EDIT: Of course this is essential to the business because if they release the FULL source code and steps to reproduce it, people could start their own site and probably overtake Ripple. Unlike this bitcoin is fully open.

Ripple isn't a site, it's a network. The Ripple.com website is just a convenience, and just like blockchain.info, you don't need it to use Ripple. In addition, and unlike blockchain.info, your wallet isn't actually hosted there. People can already start their own sites if they want to.

Martijn Meijering
December 13, 2013, 08:55:31 PM
EDIT: Of course this is essential to the business because if they release the FULL source code and steps to reproduce it, people could start their own site and probably overtake Ripple. Unlike this bitcoin is fully open.

Ripple isn't a site, it's a network. The Ripple.com website is just a convenience, and just like blockchain.info, you don't need it to use Ripple. In addition, and unlike blockchain.info, your wallet isn't actually hosted there. People can already start their own sites if they want to.
legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006
December 13, 2013, 08:49:20 PM
Whats funny is that Ripple inst (fully) open source. They are like twitter, claiming to be open source because a tiny part of their script is online.

Your right, Ripple is affraid their brand is not recognized enough to allow publish full open source, and they are right

Sure are. I was just going to suggest that since Ripple is open source, we should create a Ripple with BTC (or NMC) as the native currency, and thus resolve the issue that the initial creators controlled 100% of the XRP.

It's of course something you could do, however with native BTC underneath, you'd have quite long confirmation times (0 conf transactions likely will not cut it...).

Check out their Open Source release statement, the nearly only thing that they request is that you don't call your fork Ripple or use their logos, to avoid confusion - the code itself is MIT licensed, just like bitcoin-qt.

Their code is at github, have fun hacking away!

Also now that its "open source" are you able to mine it?

Being Open Source has nothing to do with mining, but if you want to use your computer to crunch numbers and get XRP, you can do that.

Go to www.ComputingForGood.org and get started. One big difference is that when you trade computation for XRP, you aren't just generating heat like with Bitcoin mining. Instead, you are crunching results for scientific research (mostly AIDS and research).

I know that open source has nothing to do wit mining, I just forgot a ".". Do they have a GUI or is it just a pool sort of thing?

Computingforgood piggybacks on the World Community Grid, a bunch of projects that use BOINC to do distributed computing and verification of the results generated. BOINC itself does have GUIs for various operating systems and can also run from the command line.

At this point I don't know enough about Ripple to comment, except to say that so far it seems to be much harder to get started with Ripple than it was to get started with Bitcoin.
Well, you can use the JavaScript client on Ripple.com, I consider that to be easier to get started than downloading a couple GB of blockchain data. If you want to run your own full node, you might have to do some more heavy lifting of course - if you are not able to compile it according to the instructions given though, you likely also are not really going to be able to administer the server it'll run on.
legendary
nahtnam.com
December 13, 2013, 08:48:34 PM

I haven't done it myself, but I understand it's a couple of hours work if you've never done it before. Probably minutes to an hour if you've done it before, and less if you have it scripted, but I don't thing many people do. Note that I'm not saying that Ripple Labs doesn't have closed source code, but that's just like Bitstamp or Mt Gox or blockchain.info having closed source too. The essentials like client and server and lots of supporting stuff as well are open source.

Yes, but they still are running things that we dont know of, just like Twitter.

Martijn Meijering
December 13, 2013, 08:46:25 PM

I haven't done it myself, but I understand it's a couple of hours work if you've never done it before. Probably minutes to an hour if you've done it before, and less if you have it scripted, but I don't think many people do. Note that I'm not saying that Ripple Labs doesn't have closed source code, but that's just like Bitstamp or Mt Gox or blockchain.info having closed source too. The essentials like client and server and lots of supporting stuff as well are open source.
legendary
nahtnam.com
December 13, 2013, 08:42:31 PM

Martijn Meijering
December 13, 2013, 08:41:38 PM

legendary
nahtnam.com
December 13, 2013, 08:39:37 PM

legendary
nahtnam.com
December 13, 2013, 08:09:24 PM
Also now that its "open source" are you able to mine it?

Being Open Source has nothing to do with mining, but if you want to use your computer to crunch numbers and get XRP, you can do that.

Go to www.ComputingForGood.org and get started. One big difference is that when you trade computation for XRP, you aren't just generating heat like with Bitcoin mining. Instead, you are crunching results for scientific research (mostly AIDS and research).

I know that open source has nothing to do wit mining, I just forgot a ".". Do they have a GUI or is it just a pool sort of thing?
Activity: 30
Merit: 0
December 13, 2013, 08:08:42 PM
So, what's your role with Ripple? Obviously not just a patron.

A straight answer, you will not get.  It's obvious this person is a part of Ripple-affiliated organization but can't say so for whatever reason.

Geeze...I think I've answered this twice now, haven't I?

My question is ... Why are do people intentionally slag off something they don't understand?

Or, why be willfully ignorant?

Study a concept THEN falsify it.

Support your arguments with evidence...statistics, quotes and examples..... not opinions, heresay or conjecture.....

....and now that I've written that, it's painfully evident to me that I teach English.....

Actually, you answered it once prior.  And it's extremely suspicious when someone is so GLOWINGLY enthusiastic about Ripple, a gateway/payment system that is not only confusing (on purpose) but quite obfuscated.  But yet, Ripple has been out for quite some time and pretty much no one else on this board is this enthusiastic about it, so this makes this look like some serious astroturfing job.  I have not, at all, tried in any way to falsify anything about Ripple, its network, or anything about it at all, I haven't tried to falsify anything.

But like I said, some quick Google-fu reveals interesting things.  Such as, this is the only place you've used the handle PirateButtercup to discuss Ripple.  In fact, it's only in the Newbies section of the forum as well and not in any other sub-forums.  So while you are obviously over-the-moon about Ripple and its concept, if you're talking about it elsewhere, you're using another handle to do so.  That in and of itself is revelatory.  And like I said, other people propping up Ripple are from other forums that are Ripple/XRP-centric, so this all comes across as a giant promotion (like I said originally).  This is why many people are so skeptical, it's not because of Ripple or any misunderstanding of it, it's because this looks like astroturfing.
Activity: 61
Merit: 10
December 13, 2013, 07:27:19 PM

OK...I have said about ALL that I can say on this. I have spent enough time. I'm gonna get back to trying to set up my own RippleD server.

I'm not gonna post anymore on this topic as there are other things that I need to learn about (Like this Digital Asset Transfer Authority that's been established!)

In addition to the numerous links I've posted, here is a great article I just found a few hours ago called

Ripple: Bitcoin in Business Attire

It says what I've been saying.....Ripple is a great middle ground between the crypto currencies and the fiat currencies.....plus a bunch more

http://web.appstorm.net/reviews/finances-reviews/ripple-bitcoin-in-business-atire/

December 13, 2013, 07:18:31 PM
Well...it's not illegal for you to write a check for a million dollars if you don't have it in your account.

Is this some play on words where if you write the check but don't actually give it to anyone then you're in the clear? If not:

My use of 'IOU' and 'checks' and 'credit' is merely meant to help people conceptualize what Trustlines.

For those of us who know what terms like "IOU" and "check" and "credit" actually mean, this may be counter-productive.

I wouldn't call that a play on words. I would call it a tidy summation of the exact quote you just posted. I felt that you were intentionally ignoring the forest for the trees....that is an analogy, by the way (in the event you're a forest ranger), meaning that you were getting so obsessed with the specifics that you were missing the big picture....that is another analogy, by the way (in the event that you're a painter or photographer) meaning that you'd lost the plot ... which is indeed another analogy, in case you are a writer....etc.,

Perhaps in your excitement to read my response you overlooked the word 'conceptualize'. Perhaps I was wrong to think that you understood that I was speaking analogously.

To return to the topic, if you have a legitimate, reasoned and supportable objection to any of the facts that I have laid out about how important and valuable I deem Bitcoin or how it can be better mainstreamed through the use of the Ripple system....by all means, let me know...

December 13, 2013, 06:36:28 PM
So, what's your role with Ripple? Obviously not just a patron.

A straight answer, you will not get.  It's obvious this person is a part of Ripple-affiliated organization but can't say so for whatever reason.

Geeze...I think I've answered this twice now, haven't I?

You must be one of those Birthers still who think Obama is from Kenya. I mean, seriously....you want a urine test or what?

My question is ... Why are do people intentionally slag off something they don't understand?

Or, why be willfully ignorant?

Study a concept THEN falsify it.

Support your arguments with evidence...statistics, quotes and examples..... not opinions, heresay or conjecture.....

....and now that I've written that, it's painfully evident to me that I teach English.....

Pages:
Jump to: