Pages:
Author

Topic: Ripple: The Best Way To Legitimize Bitcoin - page 7. (Read 13027 times)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0
December 11, 2013, 01:17:31 PM
I recently realized that Bitcoin is actually quite similar to Ripple in the sense that in both cases there are 2 elements: a currency and a network/protocol.

In Ripple the currency is used as a kind of reserve currency to facilitate exchanges between two other currencies and as a way to avoid spam (because you have to send a small amount in XRP to send money). And in Bitcoin to be able to use the network/protocol function (even if the application or protocol you are using concerns 'non-bitcoin functions such as notary services or exchanges between different currencies or transferring ownership titles to stocks or other goods) you have to secure spots in the ledger, and these spots are bitcoins.

So both in Ripple and in Bitcoin the demand for their respective currencies springs in part from the fact that you need them in order to be able to use the network function. 
Activity: 61
Merit: 10
December 11, 2013, 12:45:40 PM
Google Ventures kicked in maybe $200K from all of the research I've done, which, while no means is chump change, is chump change for Google.

I wouldn't follow that as any source for a trustworthy platform.

My research from Venture Capital Post, CNN Money, et al sources indicates that the 3.5 million came from Core Innovations, Venture 51, Camp One Ventures and IDG Partners.

Additionally, an undisclosed amount of seed money came from Google Ventures, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Andreessen Horowitz, FF Angel, Vast Ventures, and The Bitcoin Opportunity Fund.

Yes, the Bitcoin Opportunity Fund also.

All of these organizations vetted and scrutinized Ripple to the nth degree before they just handed over their money. THAT makes it about the most trustworthy investment going in terms of potential for growth.
December 11, 2013, 12:32:05 PM
Google Ventures kicked in maybe $200K from all of the research I've done, which, while no means is chump change, is chump change for Google.

The thing about all of the coins, not just ripple is that the creators mine enough coins for thenselves. By enough, I mean a lot. How much is one ripple worth? Also now that its "open source" are you able to mine it?

Ripple or XRP? an XRP is worth approximately .04 cents. Ripple, the protocol and currency exchange, doesn't have a measurable 'value'. It is open source.

You cannot mine XRP. An XRP is required to conduct a transaction on the Ripple payment system/currency exchange. By charging a fraction of an XRP for each transaction it prevents denial of service attacks from spamming. That's why they made a ridiculous number of them .... 100 Billion. The greater the quantity of transactions in a short period of time, the increased cost to the sender. Thus, the system can't be crippled like other internet protocols HTTPS or FTP.

XRP are like ball bearing to the Ripple system. They are not the center of it. Dollars, Bitcoins, Euros, Litecoin, Yen, Sterling....those are the currencies.

December 11, 2013, 12:15:22 PM
Ripple is dead and has never lived. Just look at what TF could do with it. It's unreliable and not trustworthy.

Jeeze, dude...Ripple just went Open Source a little over a month ago....and has since gotten millions in venture capital backing from Google Venture, Andreessen Horowitz, et al. Ripple is adding hundreds of new accounts a day, have more than doubled the number of gateways, and volume has been steadily rising in every currency.

Perhaps you prefer being slave to bank fees and slow transaction times....I don't.
I prefer security and if slow transactions (10 minutes ain't slow) and fee's (which is only 13 euro cents at the current market price) are required for that, I will take it with both hands. TradeFortress scammed a shitload of people with fake Ripple shit. Have fun with your insecure network.

What did tf do exactly with ripple? Also ya ripple is a mixture of paypal and bitcoin. If this were math, this would be the equation: 0 (paypal) * 10 (bitcoin) = 0 (ripple)! Cheesy

I'm sorry, I've read your post several times and it simply doesn't make any sense to me. Why are you multiplying 0 times 10 exactly? What does the 0 represent? Why are you multiplying...in lieu of squaring, subtracting, dividing, etc.? Are you talking about XRP or the Ripple system? Again....perhaps I'm a bit daft, but I'm not getting the meaning of your post at all.

0 is what its ranked. IMO paypal sucks. 10 = bitcoin = AWESOME. I multiplied so I can get 0 which is what I think that ripple is. Its a mix between paypal and BTC and thats just not right.

So, since

0 = the number of facts you present about paypal

0 = the relevance of paypal to this topic thread

0 = the number of facts used to quality your position about BTC

0 = is the amount of logic behind your choice to multiply

Then….

0 = is the amount that I care.

If you cannot support your position with one shred of empirical evidence, then please don’t waste my time nor that of the reader’s of this forum with your inane babble.
copper member
Activity: 3948
Merit: 2201
Verified awesomeness ✔
December 11, 2013, 12:05:15 PM
Ripple is dead and has never lived. Just look at what TF could do with it. It's unreliable and not trustworthy.

Jeeze, dude...Ripple just went Open Source a little over a month ago....and has since gotten millions in venture capital backing from Google Venture, Andreessen Horowitz, et al. Ripple is adding hundreds of new accounts a day, have more than doubled the number of gateways, and volume has been steadily rising in every currency.

Perhaps you prefer being slave to bank fees and slow transaction times....I don't.
I prefer security and if slow transactions (10 minutes ain't slow) and fee's (which is only 13 euro cents at the current market price) are required for that, I will take it with both hands. TradeFortress scammed a shitload of people with fake Ripple shit. Have fun with your insecure network.

What did tf do exactly with ripple? Also ya ripple is a mixture of paypal and bitcoin. If this were math, this would be the equation: 0 (paypal) * 10 (bitcoin) = 0 (ripple)! Cheesy
I don't know the whole story, nor did I care, so I might be wrong. But as far as I know he had to pay people BTC and convicend them to accept Ripple's IUO (or whatever it's called). Those IUO's were worthless, so a shitload of people lost a shitload of money.
It was either that or that he tricked the system to gave him 100000+ BTC. Can't remember correctly.

And he can't pay 4100 btc to people who lost on inputs?
He didn't get it out / didn't want to get it out, dunno anymore. Would have to read up about it.
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000
nahtnam.com
December 11, 2013, 12:00:37 PM

The thing about all of the coins, not just ripple is that the creators mine enough coins for thenselves. By enough, I mean a lot. How much is one ripple worth? Also now that its "open source" are you able to mine it?
legendary
nahtnam.com
December 11, 2013, 11:57:59 AM

I don't know the whole story, nor did I care, so I might be wrong. But as far as I know he had to pay people BTC and convicend them to accept Ripple's IUO (or whatever it's called). Those IUO's were worthless, so a shitload of people lost a shitload of money.
It was either that or that he tricked the system to gave him 100000+ BTC. Can't remember correctly.

And he can't pay 4100 btc to people who lost on inputs?
Activity: 14
December 11, 2013, 03:41:46 AM

copper member
Activity: 3948
Merit: 2201
Verified awesomeness ✔
December 11, 2013, 03:35:26 AM

legendary
nahtnam.com
December 10, 2013, 09:44:53 PM

I'm sorry, I've read your post several times and it simply doesn't make any sense to me. Why are you multiplying 0 times 10 exactly? What does the 0 represent? Why are you multiplying...in lieu of squaring, subtracting, dividing, etc.? Are you talking about XRP or the Ripple system? Again....perhaps I'm a bit daft, but I'm not getting the meaning of your post at all.

0 is what its ranked. IMO paypal sucks. 10 = bitcoin = AWESOME. I multiplied so I can get 0 which is what I think that ripple is. Its a mix between paypal and BTC and thats just not right.
December 10, 2013, 02:34:35 AM

December 10, 2013, 02:27:37 AM
I like the idea in ripple but how do you use it exactly with bitcoin? Do you have some real life examples where you have used it and it was easier to use than via 'normal' banks?

Well…I’m an American, but I work in Saudi Arabia.

I can now send money home to my family in Kentucky as quickly as I can reach in my wallet and hand cash to the guy next to me.

So, a specific example: My friend wanted to get into Ripple. He opened an account. I had a Bitcoin in Ripple that I deposited at Bitstamp several weeks ago. (Bitstamp is Ripple gateway that I have vetted thoroughly) I sent the BTC to my friend (instantly). He wanted it quickly because he thinks that XRP are cheap and will go up in value. I don’t disagree, but Ripple is a payment system first and foremost….and a currency exchange secondly. It’s not really an investment vehicle like stock, CDs, Bitcoin, gold, etc.

So, anyhow, I sent him the coin instantly. In terms of him paying me?…well, he’s using the traditional bank to bank transfer. We’re in the middle of day 2 now. It should take him 3 ‘business days’….which is a polite way of saying ‘a long-ass time’ given weekends and holidays that get in the way (both here in Saudi and in America).

Cheers!
legendary
nahtnam.com
December 09, 2013, 08:18:54 PM

Activity: 262
Merit: 250
December 09, 2013, 07:53:59 PM
I like the idea in ripple but how do you use it exactly with bitcoin? Do you have some real life examples where you have used it and it was easier to use than via 'normal' banks?
Activity: 14
December 09, 2013, 07:21:32 PM

I'm with ya'!! Normal people don't wanna check stuff. With brick and mortar banks and physical stock certificates, it was much easier. Unfortunately, in a blossoming new sector like this, you can't accept just anyone as being a Ripple gateway.

I've heard many comparisons of Bitcoin to gold....and that's exactly how I view it. I LIKE the fact that it takes 10 minutes. It gives Bitcoin gravitas.

I hope Ripple Labs uses the moola that they just got in a vetted competition for venture capital to narrow the learning curve of Ripple for people....because, you're right, it is a bit daunting. Hell, it took me a over a week and a group of 4 friends to conceptualize it.

The easiest way to understand the Ripple system is to think of it as a checking account. You deposit money in a bank (Gateway)...they give you a bunch of IOUs (checks). You can have a check made out in advance for a friend at $10 (create a 'trustline' of $10)....and he can pass it along to whoever he wants (Fill in the Pay To The Order Of). When it gets back to the bank (Gateway) it is redeemed for currency. ....

Unlike banks though, it can be done instantly, to anyone, anywhere, at anytime, in any currency without those DAMN fees that the bank keeps charging me!! XRP is merely the container/envelope/postage stamp for that service. It's function is to prevent morons from overwhelming the system with b.s. transactions. XRP is not an investment. It's a tool.

THAT is cool! :-)

Very good explanation Smiley It definitely does take time for people to fully conceptualise it, I think ripple labs are on the right track
with their  Ripple Primer white paper but a variety of resources is required as people
have differing learning techniques.
Activity: 6
December 09, 2013, 12:35:05 PM
As for me, ripple is the most interesting CC at the moment. They pay XRP for good things like BOINC contribution at worldcommunitygrid.org (not just for wasting electric energy), so I will support them as long as I can.
Currency shouldn't have any purpose except to be currency. Bitcoin is the best because it spend more electricity purposelessly Smiley

Activity: 11
December 09, 2013, 12:17:47 PM
As for me, ripple is the most interesting CC at the moment. They pay XRP for good things like BOINC contribution at worldcommunitygrid.org (not just for wasting electric energy), so I will support them as long as I can.
December 09, 2013, 11:48:48 AM
You can always accept 0 confirmation transaction. Anyway, Bitcoin hasn't been created for small transaction, but that doesn't mean that it can't be used for it. You just have to wait a bit. Also, the dev's could make changes to the protocol to improve it.

You can't exploit the Bitcoin protocol like you can with Ripple. Normal people don't want to check stuff, it's way to complicated for them. They trust big networks (like TradeFortress had) and lose their money, because the stuff they got was worthless. (Thanks Aahzman, for proving my point).

A normal person can barely grasp Bitcoin and Ripple is even harder then that.

I'm with ya'!! Normal people don't wanna check stuff. With brick and mortar banks and physical stock certificates, it was much easier. Unfortunately, in a blossoming new sector like this, you can't accept just anyone as being a Ripple gateway.

I've heard many comparisons of Bitcoin to gold....and that's exactly how I view it. I LIKE the fact that it takes 10 minutes. It gives Bitcoin gravitas.

I hope Ripple Labs uses the moola that they just got in a vetted competition for venture capital to narrow the learning curve of Ripple for people....because, you're right, it is a bit daunting. Hell, it took me a over a week and a group of 4 friends to conceptualize it.

The easiest way to understand the Ripple system is to think of it as a checking account. You deposit money in a bank (Gateway)...they give you a bunch of IOUs (checks). You can have a check made out in advance for a friend at $10 (create a 'trustline' of $10)....and he can pass it along to whoever he wants (Fill in the Pay To The Order Of). When it gets back to the bank (Gateway) it is redeemed for currency. ....

Unlike banks though, it can be done instantly, to anyone, anywhere, at anytime, in any currency without those DAMN fees that the bank keeps charging me!! XRP is merely the container/envelope/postage stamp for that service. It's function is to prevent morons from overwhelming the system with b.s. transactions. XRP is not an investment. It's a tool.

THAT is cool! :-)

December 09, 2013, 10:53:45 AM
I had 40K ripple. I tried to move it to my WeExchange account. It "got lost", and was never seen again, despite transaction confirmations and info.

Obviously, I'm a noob on this forum. I'm not trying an ad hominem attack, but....why do they have SCAMMER written under your username?
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032
December 09, 2013, 07:40:49 AM
The only people talking about Ripple are people from ripplecorp public relations and legal obfuscation offshore holding incorporated, and those who's support was bought with a few million of the 100% premined ponzi coins. Yes, I said it, this really is a cryptocurrency Ponzi. They are not above slandering Bitcoin in front of congress worse than FinCEN themselves did for their own benefit.
Pages:
Jump to: