Author

Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer - page 166. (Read 387493 times)

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015
July 15, 2014, 12:42:42 PM

Brilliantrocket , you're now calling all CryptoNote holders "bagholders"?
Are you offended? I'll change it to something less likely to offend your sensibilities.

Offended? Haha, dude you follow one person's word as absolute gospel (Anonymint) and will not even listen to anyone else, when I said why don't you read the paper that Anonymint was basing his latest ideas off of you said it would take too long, you're not even willing to put in any effort but would rather just listen to one person.

The paper wasn't that amazing, the majority of it's concerns do not even apply to CryptoNote based coins.
legendary
July 15, 2014, 12:39:52 PM
Interesting how all the Darkcoin flaws are either losers whining about the instamine (You'd NEVER buy a POS coin, right?). Or a criticism of coinjoin. Anonymint himself has stated that Darkcoin has solved Coinjoin's biggest problem, the potential for jamming transactions. Yes, he has also criticized the anonymity, but there have been some big changes since he reviewed Darkcoin. It seems like none of the things mentioned in that list are fundamentally unsolvable. Others will only be valid until a few months from now, like the closed source criticism.

Come on this is rubbish!

By "solving" coinjoin's biggest problem Darkcoin has introduced more problems. The nodes can track their own operation, if you own enough nodes you can easily graph the transaction path. If you have enough DDOS power you can also attack honest nodes driving more traffic to dishonest nodes.

I'm really not sure that the Masternode idea is helping here. Also it doesn't take much to see problems with Darkcoin, almost every part of Darkcoin is problematic.

The Masternodes are weak and easy to attack, the distribution is a premine, the developer is careless and willing to risk the entire network to look like he's keeping busy.
Activity: 826
Merit: 500
July 15, 2014, 12:39:14 PM

Are you offended? I'll change it to something less likely to offend your sensibilities.
July 15, 2014, 12:34:57 PM
Interesting how all the Darkcoin flaws are either losers whining about the instamine (You'd NEVER buy a POS coin, right?). Or a criticism of coinjoin. Anonymint himself has stated that Darkcoin has solved Coinjoin's biggest problem, the potential for jamming transactions. Yes, he has also criticized the anonymity, but there have been some big changes since he reviewed Darkcoin. It seems like none of the things mentioned in that list are fundamentally unsolvable. Others will only be valid until a few months from now, like the closed source criticism.
Activity: 658
July 15, 2014, 12:33:46 PM
i'm sorry - but this is the greatest thread of all time. 
Activity: 133
Merit: 100
July 15, 2014, 12:32:40 PM

This is very preliminary, but it appears to me that all anonymous coins based on unlinkability will not be able to solve the very serious double-spend threat.

If am correct, this is both a major and fundamental solution for longest chain rule of proof-of-work, but it also eliminates unlinkability as a anonymity solution.

Sorry to say. Again this is preliminary, and needs more peer review.

Anonymint commentary on a flaw he found with Cryptonote. Yet another problem to add to the list.

More good commentary :  https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.7857659

Nice troll attempt.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.7857659 - if you read this thread, you might notice comments from deathandtaxes, gmaxwell and others that Anonymints proposal is simply bad (like the whole paper linked in the first post).

Not to mention hes wrong again on cryptonote, he simply doesnt understand the technical background it seems.
CN bagholders always seem to think that anyone who criticizes their precious just doesn't understand.  Roll Eyes  

I suggest you read the CryptoNote whitepaper. It's quite mind-blowing stuff. It is quite technical so you might not get it at first.
legendary
July 15, 2014, 12:28:54 PM

This is very preliminary, but it appears to me that all anonymous coins based on unlinkability will not be able to solve the very serious double-spend threat.

If am correct, this is both a major and fundamental solution for longest chain rule of proof-of-work, but it also eliminates unlinkability as a anonymity solution.

Anonymint commentary on a flaw he found with Cryptonote. Yet another problem to add to the list.

Nice troll attempt.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.7857659 - if you read this thread, you might notice comments from deathandtaxes, gmaxwell and others that Anonymints proposal is simply bad (like the whole paper linked in the first post).

Not to mention hes wrong again on cryptonote, he simply doesnt understand the technical background it seems.
CN bagholders always seem to think that anyone who criticizes their precious just doesn't understand.  Roll Eyes  

legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000
Antifragile
July 15, 2014, 12:27:21 PM
I've listed the Flaws of Darkcoin and Monero.

Darkcoin's Flaws:

1) Darkcoin has a 50% instamine by it's own developers during launch, as the block reward was set to 500, and there was no windows wallets/miners. Evan, the developer, and Internetape, the other developer, instamined over 1million Darkcoin's within 24 hours.

2) Darkcoin's name itself, Darkcoin, will always be affiliated with illegal activity like the Darkweb, Drugs, etc, and the name itself ensures that Darkcoin will never reach anything close to mainstream acceptance.

3) Darkcoin's "anonymity" is based on coinjoin, it simply mixes users coins around, making it harder to track it. However, if even the slightest taint if found when mixing the coins, an investigator will be able to deduce who sent what and who received what. The maker of coinjoin, Gmaxwell, deeply criticized Darkcoin since it's coinjoin based "anonymity" is basically a joke.

4) Darkcoin's mixing system/coinjoin relies on something called Masternodes, Masternodes are nodes that are set up by people, anyone can set one up, and Masternodes are the things that mix the coin around. Masternodes also present many risks besides giving trivial "anonymity", if all masternodes are owned by one individual, he will be able to "de-anonymize" Darkcoin and see all transactions clearly.

5) Darkcoin's Masternode Payment system has forked the network many times, and has failed Twice in the effort to pay the owners of Masternodes.

6) Darkcoin's Masternode/Darksend system is closed source, so that means the developers could be stealing coins, or doing any other malicious things, and it will remain unnoticed

7) The Masternodes can always be DDOSed, effectively shutting them down, if the majority of Masternodes were taken offline(they are mostly hosted on Amazon servers), then Darkcoin's trivial anonymity will completely shut off

Cool There are many many other flaws, it will take up too much space to list, so I've listed the main ones.

Monero's Flaws:

1) Monero's bloating/scaling is an issue, where the blockchain itself takes up a lot of space on someone's computer, however, there have solutions to this, as shown by Crypto_Zoidberg, after he fixed this issue with his own coin. The issue has pretty much been fixed anyway, since bloating was caused by dust payments from pools, and with a recent update, those dust payments have been taken off. But because I think it will look to unfair compared to Darkcoin's 101 flaws, I had to list a "flaw" for Monero Tongue

2) That's it.

Worth repeating, thanks Darkota...
July 15, 2014, 12:26:10 PM

Nice troll attempt.

CN proponents always seem to think that anyone who criticizes their precious just doesn't understand.  Roll Eyes  
Activity: 420
Merit: 251
Moon?
July 15, 2014, 12:24:37 PM
Possible cooperation between ANC devs and XMR devs.

"Meeh: I would also like to add this; fluffypon(the dev) and the Monero coin is someone we might co-work with to increase anonymity, but again, we haven't decided much else than that we don't shittalk eachother. So not you fans too."

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.7854613
July 15, 2014, 12:22:47 PM

It's not a flaw. He was proposing an idea against double spend attack on Bitcoin in the case attacker has < 50% hash rate. He found that his idea doesn't apply to CryptoNote and other coin differ from Bitcoin protocol.
Ok, it isn't something with immediate implications, but it will be acknowledged as a security flaw if Anonymint's proposal becomes a standard.
Activity: 300
Merit: 250
July 15, 2014, 12:20:13 PM

It's not a flaw. He was proposing an idea against double spend attack on Bitcoin in the case attacker has < 50% hash rate. He found that his idea doesn't apply to CryptoNote and other coins differ from Bitcoin protocol.
Activity: 532
July 15, 2014, 12:18:52 PM

Nice troll attempt.

July 15, 2014, 12:06:42 PM

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
July 15, 2014, 12:05:48 PM
The volume on BBR is increasing and XMR is starting to up again. This is reminding me of the last XMR run up.

Anyone expecting(or not) XMR to have another run up soon? Or are we going to be waiting a while for a news hit or some other catalyst?

I think a slightly slower run up will ensue absent some serious news. Its just finding its fair value which is always a volatile excercise. The volume boost as well as the buying back thats occuring are text book after a new coins run up, though I will admit they normally flatten out for longer. Im back in with what I sold between 0.009 and 0.01 (just my trading stash not my main) and will be increasing my investment as the technicals get confirmed.
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
July 15, 2014, 12:01:47 PM
The volume on BBR is increasing and XMR is starting to up again. This is reminding me of the last XMR run up.

Anyone expecting(or not) XMR to have another run up soon? Or are we going to be waiting a while for a news hit or some other catalyst?

News are trickling.. of course it's going up now!

More interesting is, whether it makes a higher high (>0.010) indicating a rising trend, or just a higher low (which it did), indicating a stabilization somewhere between 0.004-0.008 below the ATH of yore.

Anyone knows the number of XMR holders?? Could be interesting..
legendary
Merit: 1002
amarha
July 15, 2014, 11:56:55 AM

legendary
amarha
July 15, 2014, 11:52:16 AM
https://github.com/cryptcointeam/cryptcoin/commits/master

Their github has not a single update since launch, if thats what you call real development i cant help you.

From reading the thread before I got the impression that Mindfox was being paid by Moosa and others to develop their anonymity system. I know they released a new GUI wallet too.

Could be all bs, I don't know really. I don't own any or support the coin. But apparently Mindfox has some development experience in the altcoin world. Maybe I assumed too much, who knows.
Activity: 532
July 15, 2014, 11:48:28 AM
https://github.com/cryptcointeam/cryptcoin/commits/master

Their github has not a single update since launch, if thats what you call real development i cant help you.
legendary
amarha
July 15, 2014, 11:32:39 AM
i don't see any unique in this CRYPTCOIN, just a random POW/POS clone

For now sure, but looking at the charts we have an obvious breakout after a steep selloff. We can either ignore or accept the technical signals that are pointing to the upside.

We mainly do not care about that kind of things in this thread.

Pumping is just a matter of having adequate capital and willing to expend energy. No pump advertisements here, thank you! Smiley

I dont see CRYPT as a shit pump n dump clone Tongue (I believe we are seeing movement here because of fundamental reasons). This is a 2.0 gen x11 pow/pos anon coin trying to compete with DRK. I really think it has long term potential in terms of having a unique mixing algo - http://cryptco.org/Cryptcoin-CryptCast-Anonymous-Whitepaper.pdf.

cheers everybody  Cool

Yeah, I wouldn't dismiss CRYPT either. It has real development going on. Who knows if it can compete at the highest level with XMR ect. But it's legitimately trying to.

I haven't been following it recently though, has Mindfox come close to fully implementing anon yet?
Jump to: