Author

Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer - page 173. (Read 387493 times)

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
July 13, 2014, 06:20:53 PM
I've also looked at Zerocoin, it looked promising Until I saw that you have to place your trust in a entity to destroy a key, or theyll otherwise be able to see every transaction as clear as day. It frankly goes against everything Satoshi wanted, to have a trustless application.

This is not my understanding. They can't see the transactions but they can create fake transactions (i.e. create coins out of thin air) in a way that can't ever be detected.

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
July 13, 2014, 06:13:49 PM

If I (or any one of us) had control of a botnet we would not be involved with Monero. Trust me. We would have much more profitable fish to fry (ransomware, for instance).

Uh, wow. lol.

I hope you forgot the quote the /s in that post or something.

Ilodin proved that he is a slandering troll with that post.  I think he should be banned. 

I just quoted what he said. Stop trolling.

You intentionally, with knowing deception and malice aforethought, created an inference that fluffypony has criminal intentions.

This doesn't surprise me. It seems characteristic of drk advocates.  It does give me certainty that you are a liability to honest discourse.  Please feel free to prove me wrong by your behaviour.
Activity: 966
Merit: 1003
July 13, 2014, 06:08:52 PM
I came to the conclusion that: Cryptonote coins simply are way superior.

premine scam
superior cryptography

And back to square one. Do you really need another round? I don't. Maybe next week.
July 13, 2014, 06:05:06 PM

If I (or any one of us) had control of a botnet we would not be involved with Monero. Trust me. We would have much more profitable fish to fry (ransomware, for instance).

Uh, wow. lol.

Ilodin proved that he is a slandering troll with that post.  I think he should be banned. 

I just quoted what he said. Stop trolling.
legendary
July 13, 2014, 06:00:02 PM
The conception of DRK was illegitimate, I will not buy it for this reason alone.

It is very unfortunate the launch happened as it happened. I was pissed off at the start too. The market has probably priced it in by now however.

The market will continue to discount drk as a premine scam until it ceases to be a premine scam, forever.

If there were not the alternative of superior cryptography with a fair launch and open development, drk might have surpassed ltc by now.  That ship has sailed, however, and nothing will bring it back.
Activity: 770
Merit: 500
July 13, 2014, 05:48:00 PM

I don't know what else to tell you, you're misunderstanding either intentionally or not, forgetting what you yourself have just previously said, tell people to read previous posts and fail to do it yourself, and call people liars without any evidence. I'm sure rpietila is happy to have you in his thread.

I explained everything to you...It seems like you're just saying anything you can to try and dispel what I've said, literally confusing yourself in the process...You're frankly not making any sense with your arguments, and you have yet to try and disprove mine....It's simply impossible to argue with the points I've made..I'm responding to you because while I may not have much $ in Cryptonote coins atm, I will Admit that they are way superior to coinjoin/masternode coins.

To Compare, how "Unbias" I'm trying to be with my points on Darkcoin and Cryptonotes.

I currently have 210 Darkcoin which is the most of any alt-coin I have, which I bought about a month ago. I used to be an avid Darkcoin supporter.

Then after a while, I actually looked into Cryptonote coins like Monero, instead of trying to slander them because they are a huge threat to Darkcoin..

I came to the conclusion that: Cryptonote coins simply are way superior. They do not have the flaws and bad past Darkcoin has concerning it's Masternode/coinjoin anonymity being compromised and unfair distribution etc. There Ring Signature anonymity is also truly superior and way beyond than what Darkcoin's/coinjoin could ever be..

I've also looked at Zerocoin, it looked promising Until I saw that you have to place your trust in a entity to destroy a key, or theyll otherwise be able to see every transaction as clear as day. It frankly goes against everything Satoshi wanted, to have a trustless application.
-"doublespend" without anyone ever knowing
legendary
July 13, 2014, 05:47:03 PM

Uh, wow. lol.

legendary
July 13, 2014, 05:43:54 PM
I was never offered a satisfactory response to the following question I asked a couple of days ago: If Cryptonote is not NSA proof, what does it offer over coins like Darkcoin that also give non-NSA proof anonymity ?

NSA-proof is not well defined.  If you establish a goal which is undefined you establish one which is unattainable.  Since you appear to consider xmr an insurmountable competitive threat I can see why you would employ such a 'disingenuous' sophistry, but i cannot see why i should take your bait.

The current plan being implemented in xmr takes it one step closer to practical immunity from a large class of attacks on aspects of transactional privacy. It is already relatively easy to use xmr in a way which makes it practically immune to some classes of attack on transactional privacy which are of interest to me and to which darkcoin is now and likely will always remain susceptible:

Darkcoin is vulnerable to fungibility crisis, just like bitcoin.

Darkcoin will likely be ready about a year sooner than any CN coin.

It's done already.  Evan proved this: he stuck a fork in it - twice, so far.  There is no plan in evidence to transition drk to a technology which provides competitive privacy assurrances.  It seems clear that Evan is not competent to execute such a plan were it dropped in his lap.

You seem to think that by the sheer number of your words you can delude the markets into thinking drk is still a serious coin.  It isn't working.
July 13, 2014, 05:43:34 PM

I don't know what else to tell you, you're misunderstanding either intentionally or not, forgetting what you yourself have just previously said, tell people to read previous posts and fail to do it yourself, and call people liars without any evidence. I'm sure rpietila is happy to have you in his thread.
July 13, 2014, 05:38:14 PM
Huh? In those two quotes you showed, I was talking about Cryptonote Coins, not Darkcoin.

Yes, exactly! And now the same thing is somehow worse if it's Darkcoin whose network is stalled?

If all Darkcoin masternodes were taken offline/DDOSed, it will destroy it's anonymity for the duration of the time the nodes are down.The masternodes are also extremely easy targets, since theres a list of all Masternodes that are offline and online along with their Ip addresses lol.  No such thing will happen with cryptonote coins.

And one last time, it will NOT destroy the anonymity, the sends would just not go through if the nodes are DOS'ed. And do you think Cryptonote's nodes are somehow hidden? How do you think clients will find them if they are lol.

Yes, exactly! And now the same thing is somehow worse if it's Darkcoin whose network is stalled?  Huh, Darkcoin Needs the Masternodes for it's anonymity...

Maybe I said it wrong...If a Cryptonote coin magically looses all or most it's nodes(over 4,000), it's network will be stalled or slowed down, but it's anonymity through Ring Signatures will/can never be comprosmied.

However, if Darkcoin looses all or most of it's nodes(around 500) through DDOS, taken offline by Amazon etc, it's network will be stalled or slowed down, and it's anonymity will be destroyed(if it looses most but not all of its nodes), since there wont be enough masternodes to do the mixing service(coinjoin).
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
July 13, 2014, 05:37:54 PM
Recovery of monero starting. Rock bottom and (in relative terms) massive wall at 0.002.

How high is it going to go this time? Last top was 0.01, and the last bottom (assuming we are heading up) was higher than the previous bottom.
July 13, 2014, 05:30:38 PM
Huh? In those two quotes you showed, I was talking about Cryptonote Coins, not Darkcoin.

Yes, exactly! And now the same thing is somehow worse if it's Darkcoin whose network is stalled?

If all Darkcoin masternodes were taken offline/DDOSed, it will destroy it's anonymity for the duration of the time the nodes are down.The masternodes are also extremely easy targets, since theres a list of all Masternodes that are offline and online along with their Ip addresses lol.  No such thing will happen with cryptonote coins.

And one last time, it will NOT destroy the anonymity, the sends would just not go through if the nodes are DOS'ed. And do you think Cryptonote's nodes are somehow hidden? How do you think clients will find them if they are lol.
Activity: 574
Merit: 506
July 13, 2014, 05:24:36 PM
Recovery of monero starting. Rock bottom and (in relative terms) massive wall at 0.002.
July 13, 2014, 05:23:57 PM
Given how on the ball this guy seems to be I wonder why BBR isn't doing a bit better than it is.

bbr is doing quite well.

If one of the major turnoffs of bbr is its name, may I suggest you change it to iCoin. iCoin has the best name in the business, and its dev has left for good, so it's open for "community takeover". Destroy old iCoins for new iCoins with 10:1 ratio or something. Smiley
July 13, 2014, 05:23:08 PM
We're talking about what's in the present. As you can see, DRK already failed and forked twice in just getting masternode payments alone...we can't debate based on "promises". Darksend +( plus) does not exist, therefore it can't be used as a argument.

Ok, presently the network would just seem stalled. Anonymity would NOT be destroyed. Happy?

Anonymity would be destroyed since Darkcoin NEEDS the Masternodes for it's coinjoin anonymity....

Just read what you wrote an hour ago (as you apparently already forgot):

No such thing like that^^^, can happen to Cryptonote coins. If one were to DDOS a node(they cant buy it), it would only be temporary as you cant DDOS forever, Plus it will not affect Cryptonote coins anonymity in any way.

If someone were to DDOS all the nodes for a Cryptonote coin, it would simply stall the network temporarily and it will have No affect on the Cryptonote coin's anonymity

So, the effect would be exactly the same.

If all Darkcoin masternodes were taken offline/DDOSed, it will destroy it's anonymity for the duration of the time the nodes are down.The masternodes are also extremely easy targets, since theres a list of all Masternodes that are offline and online along with their Ip addresses lol.  No such thing will happen with cryptonote coins.
July 13, 2014, 05:19:00 PM
We're talking about what's in the present. As you can see, DRK already failed and forked twice in just getting masternode payments alone...we can't debate based on "promises". Darksend +( plus) does not exist, therefore it can't be used as a argument.

Ok, presently the network would just seem stalled. Anonymity would NOT be destroyed. Happy?

Anonymity would be destroyed since Darkcoin NEEDS the Masternodes for it's coinjoin anonymity....

Just read what you wrote an hour ago (as you apparently already forgot):

No such thing like that^^^, can happen to Cryptonote coins. If one were to DDOS a node(they cant buy it), it would only be temporary as you cant DDOS forever, Plus it will not affect Cryptonote coins anonymity in any way.

If someone were to DDOS all the nodes for a Cryptonote coin, it would simply stall the network temporarily and it will have No affect on the Cryptonote coin's anonymity

So, the effect would be exactly the same.
legendary
July 13, 2014, 05:18:09 PM
Given how on the ball this guy seems to be I wonder why BBR isn't doing a bit better than it is.

bbr is doing quite well.  cz set out to try some ideas.  bbr is the vehicle for those ideas.  By his choices he has made it clear that he is not seeking to dominate the dark liquidity market, and the market seems to believe this.  So far xmr is the only crypto which has made the choices which qualify it as a candidate for the dark liquidity monopoly leadership.  I expect bbr to continue to do well, and I don't expect it to enter the contest which interests me, because to my knowledge cz has never expressed an interest in reforming his project in the manner required.
July 13, 2014, 05:14:33 PM

But yea, topic change to Ethereum now?
July 13, 2014, 05:12:43 PM

July 13, 2014, 05:10:54 PM
any millionaire can take down Darkcoin's "anonymity" at any point in time.

lol

That means it would cost $3,100,000 for a person/company to buy up All of Darkcoins masternodes and be able to see every transaction for themselves, destroying darkcoin's "anonymity".

LOL

If someone were to buy up(centralize), DDOS, hack, or take offline(Amazon servers) All the nodes for Darkcoin, the network will stall and it's "anonymity" would be destroyed.

False. If you'd DOS or take down every masternode in "Darksend+" (implementation should be ready in couple of weeks), that would NOT destroy DRK's anonymity, because all coins in peoples' wallets would already be anonymized. Only those coins (= inputs) that have not been anonymized, will go through masternode's anonymization process. And, for those clients, the network would just seem stalled. The anonymity would NOT be destroyed.

Jump to: