Author

Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer - page 178. (Read 387493 times)

Activity: 826
Merit: 500
July 12, 2014, 06:53:27 PM
Anonymint has spent the past two days tearing apart Monero. Check out his posts on their thread.
Activity: 770
July 12, 2014, 06:47:54 PM
Mining is completely useless for the 99% of normal people (with only a computer) don't care after the first days of the coin because returns are pathetic.

I also thought its not worth it to mine  3 btc per day anymore with my rigs years back.
A few years later it was a pretty big mistake Wink

Miners in general are only thinking shortterm it seems, but i at least have learned from my mistakes Smiley

Honestly what are the chances Monero can give similar returns as Bitcoin? lets be real. Of course big gains will happen with Monero, but to get any relevant gains mining with my shitty rig (Q6600 CPU and r7850 GPU) Im not sure about it, specially considering I can fry the thing in the summer. With my computer i would be aiming at like 0.2 MRO now..

I remember a thread about the same thing with Litecoin. How people were complaining that it wouldnt go over $2, then it went to $50 3 months later. Same with Bitcoin, complaining it was stuck at $60, then it went to $1200 6 months later.

People really do Never learn...

But you are talking about the original crypto and the original altcoin, can't really compare. Not saying Monero hasn't got potential to reach like 100$ eventually if it gets the "anon coin throne" that it deserves, im just saying mining is so fucking slow that unless the coin skyrockets real high, it's just useless considering you can damage your computer.

Namecoin was the first alt-coin, even iXcoin came out before Litecoin. Litecoin is far from being the first altcoin...It was just the first fairly released altcoin released that didnt have a premine..

Coming to the mining part, I'm not sure, I've tried doing it on my Dell and only got around 0.1 monero per day. Tongue
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
July 12, 2014, 06:45:53 PM
Mining is completely useless for the 99% of normal people (with only a computer) don't care after the first days of the coin because returns are pathetic.

I also thought its not worth it to mine  3 btc per day anymore with my rigs years back.

Miners in general are only thinking shortterm it seems, but i at least have learned from my mistakes Smiley

Honestly what are the chances Monero can give similar returns as Bitcoin? lets be real. Of course big gains will happen with Monero, but to get any relevant gains mining with my shitty rig (Q6600 CPU and r7850 GPU) Im not sure about it, specially considering I can fry the thing in the summer. With my computer i would be aiming at like 0.2 MRO now..

I remember a thread about the same thing with Litecoin. How people were complaining that it wouldnt go over $2, then it went to $50 3 months later. Same with Bitcoin, complaining it was stuck at $60, then it went to $1200 6 months later.

But you are talking about the original crypto and the original altcoin, can't really compare. Not saying Monero hasn't got potential to reach like 100$ eventually if it gets the "anon coin throne" that it deserves, im just saying mining is so fucking slow that unless the coin skyrockets real high, it's just useless considering you can damage your computer.
Activity: 770
July 12, 2014, 06:42:55 PM

July 12, 2014, 06:40:23 PM

donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
July 12, 2014, 06:30:15 PM
Since the limitation of the discussion to just 10 coins is problematic, let's continue the quality discussion without the limitation.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
July 12, 2014, 06:21:23 PM
I am disappointed with the "poll", both the method and the result.  Risto, you don't seem to want to let the thread run amok, but neither do you want to expend the energy to moderate it properly.  Maybe it has outlived its useful life.

There are coins, whether they are useful, interesting, flawed, scam, innovative or whatever, such that their removal from discussion robs the thread of utility.  Then there are coins on the list which add no value to the discussion - that I can see, at least.

A proper moderating job would expunge trolling.  The dictat as it stands might (or might not) do that as well, but at an uncomfortable cost.
July 12, 2014, 11:06:35 AM
I already said botnet is exaggerated by DRK liars. My laptop Windows 64-bit 2 core i5 delivers 45-50 H/s when idle and 30 h/s if I am working on it.

My core i7 Linux PC 4 cores delivers 200 H/s using Wolf miner

It is just a simple example to see how slow a botnet-controlled computer is.

Wonder when the DRK bubble will poop while Monero naturally taking its spot .

Please don't mention other coins than those allowed, thanks.
Wouldn't want to mention something that will be functional in a few months rather than a few years (or more).
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants
July 12, 2014, 11:06:19 AM
I already said botnet is exaggerated by DRK liars. My laptop Windows 64-bit 2 core i5 delivers 45-50 H/s when idle and 30 h/s if I am working on it.

It's kinda funny.  I think it's more about what is NOT on the list than what is on it.Wink
Activity: 966
Merit: 1003
July 12, 2014, 10:29:42 AM

Activity: 336
Merit: 260
July 12, 2014, 10:26:47 AM
Just using the money that you would have used mining to simply purchase the BTC would have been a better investment, no?

Well, if he was mining with his GPU in between game sessions or even CPU in early days, he obviously didn't have to invest anything extra. Most people didn't do that, that's why for most people all this talk whether it's PoW or PoS doesn't matter, it all comes down to what useful features the coin can offer. And it's safe to say that the race to useful features has just begun this year and we haven't seen nothing yet. In 12 months the crypto landscape will change a lot.
legendary
Merit: 1002
amarha
July 12, 2014, 09:48:58 AM

I also thought its not worth it to mine  3 btc per day anymore with my rigs years back.

Just using the money that you would have used mining to simply purchase the BTC would have been a better investment, no?
Activity: 532
July 12, 2014, 09:42:24 AM

I also thought its not worth it to mine  3 btc per day anymore with my rigs years back.

legendary
amarha
July 12, 2014, 09:40:07 AM
From now on, only the following coins may be mentioned in the thread:

BTC
XMR
NXT
FLT
BBR
NEM
XCurrency
Maidsafe
Skycoin
Siacoin

Discussion of the other coins belongs to other threads.

No etherium?

It was voted a few pages ago. Just to remind that shitcoins should not be advertised. Only intention is to safeguard the quality discussion on the thread.
I had the impression, though I did not study it in depth, that Blackcoin might have made sense, i.e. it didn't look like it was a shitcoin clone.
Did I miss something?

Yeah, you missed the ten posts where we arbitrarily decided what we were and were not going to talk about. Tongue

Skycoin and Siacoin? What are those anyway? Might as well talk about them since they're on the list. Tongue
Activity: 630
Bitgoblin
July 12, 2014, 09:22:39 AM
From now on, only the following coins may be mentioned in the thread:

BTC
XMR
NXT
FLT
BBR
NEM
XCurrency
Maidsafe
Skycoin
Siacoin

Discussion of the other coins belongs to other threads.

No etherium?

It was voted a few pages ago. Just to remind that shitcoins should not be advertised. Only intention is to safeguard the quality discussion on the thread.
I had the impression, though I did not study it in depth, that Blackcoin might have made sense, i.e. it didn't look like it was a shitcoin clone.
Did I miss something?
July 12, 2014, 09:03:58 AM
July 12, 2014, 09:01:17 AM
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
July 12, 2014, 07:33:58 AM
All cryptos have botnet, XMR is no exeption but it is wrong to think most of the hashrate is from botnets.

Botnets are a limited resource, and their owner tries to make the best use of it, just like the owner of any other resource.

(Otherwise you would say schools are evil, because they are often funded by governments that utilize stolen resources.)

Now that the price is low, they are probably on an other crypto anyway.

What matters is of course not the price, but the price/difficulty ratio, but you knew it.
dga
Activity: 737
Merit: 511
July 12, 2014, 07:27:23 AM

On the other hand that makes the above claim of 574 kilohashes all the more impressive and indicative of a large network mining operation.

It's probably 5000 computers.
legendary
amarha
July 12, 2014, 07:18:06 AM

On the other hand that makes the above claim of 574 kilohashes all the more impressive and indicative of a large network mining operation.
Jump to: