Pages:
Author

Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer - page 47. (Read 387491 times)

legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1002
amarha
September 04, 2014, 02:37:22 PM
Can we get back to talking about AnonyMint's idea of government backed digital currencies? It's something that seems inevitable but everyone seems to conveniently ignore.

Imagine the efficiency of tax collecting through a database of currency you control. It's the government's ultimate weapon.
Seriously please don't.
I advise rpietila to moderate post about this. This such a boring old subject that has been discussed all over Bitcointalk "What if government blabla"
Truth is government will not succeed because no one will support it this is the whole idea behind Bitcoin, that Bitcoin is unstoppable, and anyone who thinks otherwise is just a complete tin foil hat that can go back to the conspiracy forum.

Can we go back to technical discussions about altcoins and not some conspiracy nut job theories from AnonyMint.

I'm not the type that people would consider a 'nut job' I don't think and I don't agree with many of AnonyMint's theories on what's going to happen with the world, but do people really think that in 20-50 years the world will still be passing around pieces of paper? It's not even a question of if, it's a question of when.

What sort of government wouldn't love to eliminate cash and control their currency through a centralised database? They have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

To dismiss this as some kind of crackpot theory seems very odd to me.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
September 04, 2014, 02:36:02 PM
You are such an idiot.

Whereas, Armstrong made specific predictions of specific events at specific times, that could not match any other events. And he was never wrong. Never.

If Armstrong is prescient as well as infallible, why didn't he know ahead of time that he would be sent to jail for bilking investors, not get a fair trial, and so on?

Since he couldn't avoid being thrown in a hole for 7 years, he's not exactly the sharpest shooter in Texas.   Roll Eyes

ES, govt backed digi-fiat isn't a new idea.  The Canadian mint floated, then abandoned the idea already.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
September 04, 2014, 02:32:50 PM
what's a jackbook?

New Apple laptop, I think.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
September 04, 2014, 02:31:54 PM
You might do better to using timing to separate your rhetoric from your reason.

You are such an idiot.
Rhetoric.

You have massive category errors.
Fact.

See, easy to bucket.  Now just separate them instead of mixing them, and your audience goes way up.

To be truly elite, separate them, and then refrain from posting the rhetoric.  I haven't reached that level myself.

Activity: 336
Merit: 260
September 04, 2014, 02:25:13 PM
I am still waiting to hear how digital or digitized is different from fiat in electronic form. Fiat is fiat, no matter how you slice it. Fiat is 'by decree'.

Crypto currencies function by no decree. They are decentrally produced.

And it's not even by decree that matters, although that is important too. What matters is predictability of supply, which never works for fiat, because governments always tend to overspend and overproduce fiat. Fiat has been around for ages and we all know how it ends every time. So what does Ecuador change here?
Activity: 660
Merit: 101
Colletrix - Bridging the Physical and Virtual Worl
September 04, 2014, 02:22:28 PM
Can we get back to ... government backed digital currencies? It's something that seems inevitable but everyone seems to conveniently ignore.

Yes, the problem is that when the Ecuadorian (or any other) economy faces some serious problem, as it sooner or later will, the Central Bank/ digital mint will be able to distort the money supply, and the Economic Ministry will probably take measures to rescue the economy that are based on exerting control over the currency. These measures may or may not work for overcoming the short or mid terms problems of the economy. But the exchange value of the currency will certainly be affected, and possibly not in your favor. So you better trust those in charge, permanently. Or be on their side.

It reminds me of a recent announcement by the Argentinian Central Bank (I think they took it down but you can look for it http://www.bcra.gov.ar) where they warned citizens against Bitcoin, because its value is known to fluctuate, and could go down. The Argentinian Central Bank, which has presided over the wiping out the value of the peso at least three times in recent memory!
Activity: 469
Merit: 250
English Motherfucker do you speak it ?
September 04, 2014, 02:18:50 PM

You will eat those words you fool, rammed through your arsehole by a jackbook.

Your pride in Bitcoin is not factually justified.

And it is very relevant to altcoins.
Do you think you are the only one on this forum with conspiracy theories? This has been discussed 1000 times already, just take a look at post from 2011 and 2012. It's not even relevant anymore and if something like this were to threaten bitcoin there are other subforums here on Bitcointalk for it.

This thread should be about technical discussions for altcoins and not some boring old conspiracy theory.

I see three categories right now as an altcoin investor:
PoS coins
Anonymous coins
2.0 coins

Would you categorize it further down?
Activity: 196
Merit: 12
September 04, 2014, 02:16:40 PM
what's a jackbook?

Edit:  Just figured out it was jackBOOT  Grin
Activity: 518
Merit: 521
September 04, 2014, 02:07:17 PM
Can we get back to talking about AnonyMint's idea of government backed digital currencies? It's something that seems inevitable but everyone seems to conveniently ignore.

Imagine the efficiency of tax collecting through a database of currency you control. It's the government's ultimate weapon.
Seriously please don't.
I advise rpietila to moderate post about this. This such a boring old subject that has been discussed all over Bitcointalk "What if government blabla"
Truth is government will not succeed because no one will support it this is the whole idea behind Bitcoin, that Bitcoin is unstoppable, and anyone who thinks otherwise is just a complete tin foil hat that can go back to the conspiracy forum.

Can we go back to technical discussions about altcoins and not some conspiracy nut job theories from AnonyMint.

You will eat those words you fool, rammed through your arsehole by a jackbookjackboot.

Your pride in Bitcoin is not factually justified.

And it is very relevant to altcoins.
Activity: 469
Merit: 250
English Motherfucker do you speak it ?
September 04, 2014, 02:06:16 PM

Seriously please don't.

September 04, 2014, 02:05:14 PM

Quote from: bytemaste
1) 51 delegates or more must publish a price feed at least once per day
     - if they do not publish the feed, then the market reverts to a 1hr moving average.
     - if a feed is published, the 1hr moving average is set to the feed.

James (with his multi-gateway exchange) and bytemaster (with this BitUSD peg) continue with the delusion of "multiple top-down controlled servers" means we are decentralized.

I don't have time to follow their work. I had enough detailed discussions with bytemaster last year to determine:

1. He is reasonably smart (sometimes very innovative and clever) and knows how to code.

2. His conceptualization is always flawed at some level (may not bite him immediately but eventually will).
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1002
amarha
September 04, 2014, 01:55:58 PM

September 04, 2014, 01:52:06 PM
only one talks about psychic computer models and fails to see why others find that lulzy.

As with the Climate Change Cult, such a modeling fetish emulates traditional numerology.

Logic: your foot hurts and you have to pee. Thus hurt feet causes peeing.

I told you upthread it is a model that has been trained on $100 million of data. It has identified all the repeating cycles in the history of man. It has been backtested and now also extensively predictively tested.

It has nothing in common with the nonsense climate models, which Armstrong explicits criticizes because those climate models use only near-term data and totally ignore historical cycles that have a longer period than the short-term data they employed.

If you are not even going to take the time to investigate, then shut up because you are making a fool of yourself.

Wow, 100 million is a very big, powerful number of dollars.   Shocked  How could it possibly fail to predict at least a few things, once in a while?  Maybe I should "take the time to investigate" Nostradamus as well, after all he predicted WW2, the JFK assassination, and 9/11.

/numerology
/sharpshooter fallacy

You are such an idiot.

You have massive category errors.

Nostradamus did not specifically predict those events. You can take some vague pronouncements or numerology and fit it to numerous possible events.

Whereas, Armstrong made specific predictions of specific events at specific times, that could not match any other events. And he was never wrong about long-term predictions. Never. In fact, he has made the point that the longer-term the prediction, the more certain it is.

You are going to need to recalibrate your mind to the reality of what is possible.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic-- Arthur C. Clarke.
legendary
September 04, 2014, 01:47:47 PM
only one talks about psychic computer models and fails to see why others find that lulzy.

As with the Climate Change Cult, such a modeling fetish emulates traditional numerology.

Logic: your foot hurts and you have to pee. Thus hurt feet causes peeing.

I told you upthread it is a model that has been trained on $100 million of data. It has identified all the repeating cycles in the history of man. It has been backtested and now also extensively predictively tested.

It has nothing in common with the nonsense climate models, which Armstrong explicits criticizes because those climate models use only near-term data and totally ignore historical cycles that have a longer period than the short-term data they employed.

If you are not even going to take the time to investigate, then shut up because you are making a fool of yourself.

Wow, 100 million is a very big, powerful number of dollars.   Shocked  How could it possibly fail to predict at least a few things, once in a while?  Maybe I should "take the time to investigate" Nostradamus as well, after all he predicted WW2, the JFK assassination, and 9/11.

/numerology
/sharpshooter fallacy
September 04, 2014, 01:38:01 PM

Your illogic (associating AGW fraud with Armstrong's model): your foot hurts and you have to pee. Thus hurt feet causes peeing.

It has nothing in common with the nonsense climate models, which Armstrong explicitly criticizes because those climate models use only near-term data and totally ignore historical cycles that have a longer period than the short-term data they employed.

I watched him predict the decline in gold to $1150, the Ukraine hotspot, and the rise of the USA stock markets (to double at least from 2012), which he publicly revealed as predictions back in 2011 (and his computer model was predicting these events long before he revealed them to us). I have also gone back into the archives and verified that his model predicted every major economic event since the 1980s and did it years in advance. And often the event was predicted to the day.

The universe is composed of cycles. The sun rises and it sets. Humans are born, make children, get old, die. I have also explored the physics and math for why the universe MUST be composed of cycles:

http://unheresy.com/The%20Universe.html#Matter_as_a_continuum

Armstrong has gone beyond that theoretical abstraction and invested the money and effort that no one else in the world did to collect the data of the history of the world. He even for example was one of the top collectors of ancient coins and artifacts so he could for example build an accurate silver chart for the Roman empire (apparently something no one else had ever done).
September 04, 2014, 01:25:11 PM
The problem is not economy, it is the perpetrators of injustice.

That's what the Jacobins, the Bolsheviks, the Nazis, the Khmer Rouge, the People's Liberation Army, and ISIL said.
Even winning the revolution does not constitute winning simpliciter.

Exactly. For this reason it is not a proper course of action to hunt down every goon and let their corpses lay unburied.

It is a proper course of action to speak out in the forums, and appear blameless in your own deeds so that they don't harass you, but even if they do, your conscience is pure.

There is currently a disparity of power in that goons can rob me of my property, liberty, and life (and 2 first ones have been tried), whereas I renounce my power to do likewise to them. By so doing I give them time to repent.

Those righteous actions are mostly useless and orthogonal to developing technology frontiers. Without such frontiers, the cancer will drag us back into another 600 year Dark Age.

I understand your view as a Christian not to fret, etc., but I am talking about the non-spirtual reality. To become lazy and non-productive and to waste the massive capital that has been entrusted to you in non-productive Bitcoin vaults is the crime of the Parable of the Talents.

In your defense, I don't think you are capable of doing more, as you aren't a programmer and you rely on the "gentleman's club" approach to evaluating what to support. And you expect everything to come to you on your terms (even refusing to run Bitmessage so that you could be privy to everything). You are really a trader and not a venture capitalist. You are out of your element as a venture capitalist.

But it is okay, because you aren't the only whale. And you have helped me with 2 BTC. Thank you. I hope I prove to be worthy.
Activity: 547
Merit: 502
September 04, 2014, 01:22:09 PM

The escrow would auto-close the positions, and could hold some of the aggregate escrowed BTC in the exchange. (Auto-closing would happen in exchange, not OTC). If the auto-close does not happen as expected, the loss would be on the escrow who failed it. They are naturally getting compensated for their service, so it is not an all-lose proposition.

I believe it can be done with mature and liquid coins such as XMR and LTC, quite easily. With volatile coins, the BTC guarantee just needs to be that much higher.

The escrowed XBT are kept in the exchange where a market order to buy XMR is triggered when 115% is reached. If the slippage plus commission is less than 15% then it would work. This also assumes the exchange does not temporarily stop trading as a "circuit breaker" on the market.

Black Monday in stocks, October 19, 1987,  comes to mind here. A sharp fall or rise triggered by a cascade of margin calls. More recently this type of spike has been seen with XBT on BTC-E for the same reason. Some risk to the lender still remains. This risk can be mitigated, but not eliminated entirely.

Yes, you are right. A short (theoretically) has unlimited downside, and it is of course not possible to have unlimited guarantees. This can be mitigated with higher guarantees when the coin has a history or anticipated future of quick upside moves. Also it is possible to just vest some of the risk to the lender, such as a stipulation that if the coin moves up more than 50% in 24 hours, then the excess gains are kept by the service.

It also explains why you are interested in shorting BTSX. After spending time studying the BTSX wiki http://bitshares-x.info/ it becomes clear to me that a sharp drop in the price of BTSX relative to the price weighted average of the secured assets bitUSD, bitXBT. bitEUR, bitXAU, etc. can cause a cascade of margin calls leading to a complete loss of confidence in the BTSX system. Depending on the overall percentage of BTSX that are securing other assets something in the order of a 50% drop could be enough to set off a cascading panic starting like the October 19, 1987 stock market crash only to become far worse. 

There are safety nets in place for prevent this.

Start here:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=7103.0

There is more however finding all this info is difficult as not all wiki pages etc seem to be updated as the pace this project has progressed.  It's almost necessary to read their forum daily to keep up!
I am not smart enough to understand how that link provides any safety net. To a simple guy like me, a safety net means some sort of insurance or price support,but that page talks about: "The purpose of this guide is to explain how the market peg should behave assuming rational market players looking to earn a profit."

In theory and calm markets, a holographic peg should stay close to where it was seeded, especially if there are financial incentives that maximize the probability of the price trading near the peg.

Now, what I have been asking is what happens in an "irrational" market? When the panic selling sets in? It is called panic selling, not "rational selling". With stock market crash what changed was the market's valuation of the estimated future cashflows discounted to present values,right? So changes in interest rates, outlook of economy, etc. play a factor, but ultimately the shares represented a future dividend flow (or at least compounded equity value from (presumably) profitable companies.

This I believe sets a floor for stock market equities. At some point the price becomes lower than the likely future cashflows and value investor move in.

Since btsx has no such future cash flows, there is no floor.
Since the holographic peg is only as good as the belief in it, as soon as we get close to 50% loss from ATH a cascade of selling will happen and once the volume of selling is bigger than what btsx corp can prop up, what will stop this cascade from going all the way down to where the btsx company is willing to just buy it up?

The more btsx succeeds, it seems the more likely it is to fail and at a larger and larger scale and will be big black mark for crypto overall. That is my concern

James

James

See if this explanation helps at all posted today from Bytemaster.

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=8358.msg108937#msg108937
legendary
September 04, 2014, 01:20:54 PM
He thinks some lulzy computer model, which has achieved self-awareness and gained the gift of prophecy, is foretelling the End Times.

You are fucking trolling, because I've already explained to you that the model predicted everything exactly 10 years in advance, even to the day.

And the model doesn't predict the end of the world.

And you have a vendetta against me because I criticized the name of your beloved boolberries.

And I don't have time to waste arguing with an idiot who doesn't even bother to check the facts on this matter.

And I told you upthread that it has nothing to do with numerology. So you are just trolling because I already refuted you, then you repeat the same trolling tactic again.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/the-texas-sharpshooter

Many people criticize the name Boolberry; only one talks about psychic computer models and fails to see why others find that lulzy.

As with the Climate Change Cult, such a modeling fetish emulates traditional numerology.  And just by coincidence, both models predict DOOMtm Soontm.

I'm just discussing the zany but aggressive parasitic memes you brought to the thread.  Were I trolling, I'd point out that you mention Armstrong more than cedivad mentions his lawyer.   Grin
Activity: 33
Merit: 0
September 04, 2014, 01:03:41 PM
Someone who has looked into Vericoin (VRC), does it classify as an appcoin or that's not the case? Thanks.
September 04, 2014, 12:47:47 PM
He thinks some lulzy computer model, which has achieved self-awareness and gained the gift of prophecy, is foretelling the End Times.

You are fucking trolling, because I've already explained to you that the model predicted everything exactly 10 years in advance, even to the day.

And the model doesn't predict the end of the world.

And you have a vendetta against me because I criticized the name of your beloved boolberries.

And I don't have time to waste arguing with an idiot who doesn't even bother to check the facts on this matter.

And I told you upthread that it has nothing to do with numerology. So you are just trolling because I already refuted you, then you repeat the same trolling tactic again.
Pages:
Jump to: