Author

Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;) - page 136. (Read 907212 times)

Activity: 471
Merit: 250
It saves my day that someone might get a job thought that thread. Congratulations to Serje and kudos to Risto.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
hmmm, interesting!
looking for (automation) industrial engineers?

Looking for people who can obey orders, smile, clean rooms, serve tables, cook, know wines, stand long hours in scorching sun, nitpick about petty amounts, do gardening, smile, drive cars, furnish rooms, clean toilets, empty trashbins, greet guests, empty ashtrays, water lawns, sell wines, do the laundry, smile, answer repetitious questions, clean floors, obey orders and smile.

Oh yes, and the starting pay is bad but the range goes up to 4000€/month.

As we are an equal opportunity employer, being an industrial engineer is not a disqualifier.

You ask for
people who can obey orders - 5/5
smile - 4/5
clean rooms   - 5/5
serve tables  - 4/5
cook  - 2/5 basic cooking ... mostly breakfast and some pastas
know wines  - I don't know wines
stand long hours in scorching sun - 5/5
nitpick about petty amounts - 4/5
do gardening - 4/5
smile - 4/5
drive cars - 5/5
furnish rooms - don't know exactly what you mean with this ... but if you want to let me decorate a room I can do that
clean toilets - 5/5
empty trash-bins - 5/5
greet guests - 5/5
empty ashtrays - 5/5
water lawns - 5/5
sell wines - I could sell them but I don't know all the details ... if the buyer knows what he wants i can sell him wine ... but I don't know what to recommend him
do the laundry - I'm not good at doing laundry ... one time I tried it and made my pants unwearable! But if someone can teach me I can learn!
smile - 4/5
answer repetitious questions - 5/5
clean floors - 5/5
obey orders and smile - 5/5

what I can offer extra ....
I'm a vodka passionate ... mostly for premium vodka
Organize parties for our guests
Offer VIP service to our guests (I've been in the best clubs in the world and I learned what VIP is about)
I can fix computers and stuff .... but I think everyone here knows that so I don't really consider this as a skill

Will come back with other skills if I remember them

P.S. I'm a morning person, I love to get up early!

Okay. Your work starts Thursday, next week. We can pay the taxi from Tallinn! Smiley If that is too early, any later day is also possible.

I really enjoyed these posts. Get your job on a forum !!! That is so untraditionnal, i like it.
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
hmmm, interesting!

Looking for people who can obey orders, smile, clean rooms, serve tables, cook, know wines, stand long hours in scorching sun, nitpick about petty amounts, do gardening, smile, drive cars, furnish rooms, clean toilets, empty trashbins, greet guests, empty ashtrays, water lawns, sell wines, do the laundry, smile, answer repetitious questions, clean floors, obey orders and smile.

As we are an equal opportunity employer, being an industrial engineer is not a disqualifier.

You ask for
smile - 4/5
clean rooms   - 5/5
serve tables  - 4/5
do gardening - 4/5
smile - 4/5
drive cars - 5/5
furnish rooms - don't know exactly what you mean with this ... but if you want to let me decorate a room I can do that
clean toilets - 5/5
empty trash-bins - 5/5
greet guests - 5/5
empty ashtrays - 5/5
water lawns - 5/5
sell wines - I could sell them but I don't know all the details ... if the buyer knows what he wants i can sell him wine ... but I don't know what to recommend him
do the laundry - I'm not good at doing laundry ... one time I tried it and made my pants unwearable! But if someone can teach me I can learn!
smile - 4/5
clean floors - 5/5

Offer VIP service to our guests (I've been in the best clubs in the world and I learned what VIP is about)
I can fix computers and stuff .... but I think everyone here knows that so I don't really consider this as a skill

Okay. Your work starts Thursday, next week. We can pay the taxi from Tallinn! Smiley If that is too early, any later day is also possible.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1002
hmmm, interesting!

You ask for
smile - 4/5
clean rooms   - 5/5
serve tables  - 4/5
do gardening - 4/5
smile - 4/5
drive cars - 5/5
clean toilets - 5/5
empty trash-bins - 5/5
greet guests - 5/5
empty ashtrays - 5/5
water lawns - 5/5
smile - 4/5
clean floors - 5/5

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000
Thanks ErisDiscordia for your excellent post and especially for quoting from R. A. Wilsons "Prometheus Rising", a book that has greatly influenced me when I first read it a good 20 years back.

I think you have correctly identified a large part of humanities current problem as a resource distribution problem.
(btw: when I say "resource" I mean natural resources, like fossil fuel, fertile soil, water, metals, etc.... I specifically exempt human labour, I don't view that as a resource... in fact I think we should largely do away with the whole concept)

There are many suggestions how to solve this problem (how can we all live happily without destroying earth), some of which I like, some of which I don't like. I don't want to go into them but try to take kind of a broader view. Let's start with some facts:

If one accepts these facts, one can derive that in order to organize efficient resource use one needs to utilitze a decentralized sound money (can't be centralized, can't have elastic supply, must be money).

I know I'm mostly preaching to the choir and/or sounding like a broken record, but I must say: I truly think the single most effective measure we can take for more prosperous conditions for humanity is the widespread use of sound money on a global scale (like Bitcoin, you guessed it). This has the potential to solve many problems in one fell swoop without having to administer more specific measures in a top-down coercive manner. With sound money things like price signals and saving actually work. Bad actions are punished and good ones rewarded. The way it should be.

We already started our first steps on this path. Let me lay out in rough terms how it could go down:

• liquid global sound money is invented (crypto)
  • people use it as a speculative commodity and increasingly as store of wealth (good money drives out bad)
  • people increasingly value bitcoin as the best way to save their wealth and since it's also easily transactable globally, it gains traction for payments, in turn increasing its value for store-of-wealth (positive feedback loop)
  • the fiat currencies continue their race to the bottom. Wealth is increasingly being stored in hard assets (land, art, companies, crypto,...). Not sure wether the banking system will collapse or adapt, but the economy will survive (not without a good cleanup, though). There will be much debate (and fighting) about who owns what (except with crypto, on that front it's quite clear: whoever has access to the private keys can spend)
  • with fiat growing increasingly irrelevant, governments crumble or downsize considerably becoming fiscally prudent or non-existant in the process. Maybe different organizational structures (rules?) of differing sizes and shapes might evolve.
  • same goes for big corporations: they'll either fail or adapt (regulatory capture and corruption don't work well any more)
  • things like global surveillance of the population, wars, etc will become much less common because noone wants to pay for that stuff
  • we have a largely level playing field, honest work and good innovation is being rewarded while bad action is being punished (failures allowed to happen, no lender of last resort, incentive to not fuck up). This should lead to more efficient use of resources.
  • existental fears are much less widespread
  • Largely in control of our own well-being, we all lead a mostly happy and prosperous life.

Now maybe it's naive to believe things can evolve like that and actually lead to later points (I also omitted some important things, like who controls public opinion), but I'm willing to try to take the chance and continue spreading the use of crypto.

;tldr: the use of sound money is the single most effective measure we can take to improve (or prolong) our collective well-being (on a side-note: I also think the use of crypto (mainly Bitcoin) as a store of wealth is the single most effective measure one can take to improve and prolong his personal well-being)

An excellent thought provoking post. I myself see bitcoin as new sound money for the digital world. Youth will rediscover the principles of commodity money as previous generations understood implicitely.

I think history will judge the boomer generation very badly, that 1971 to 2009 will be seen as a terrible aberration of monetary policy.

I would add that in today's crony capitalist Orwellian nightmare the West is becoming , that private banks own the state and by extension the media. It seems incredulous to me that the most powerful entities in the world will not fight to retain power, so things could get very bumpy!

Hopefully democracy and true honest capitalism will drive out the bad money in place of the good (crypto).
Activity: 271
Merit: 101
The last few posts remind me of that Captain America quote

"To build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down"
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005
Thanks ErisDiscordia for your excellent post and especially for quoting from R. A. Wilsons "Prometheus Rising", a book that has greatly influenced me when I first read it a good 20 years back.

I think you have correctly identified a large part of humanities current problem as a resource distribution problem.
(btw: when I say "resource" I mean natural resources, like fossil fuel, fertile soil, water, metals, etc.... I specifically exempt human labour, I don't view that as a resource... in fact I think we should largely do away with the whole concept)

There are many suggestions how to solve this problem (how can we all live happily without destroying earth), some of which I like, some of which I don't like. I don't want to go into them but try to take kind of a broader view. Let's start with some facts:

If one accepts these facts, one can derive that in order to organize efficient resource use one needs to utilitze a decentralized sound money (can't be centralized, can't have elastic supply, must be money).

I know I'm mostly preaching to the choir and/or sounding like a broken record, but I must say: I truly think the single most effective measure we can take for more prosperous conditions for humanity is the widespread use of sound money on a global scale (like Bitcoin, you guessed it). This has the potential to solve many problems in one fell swoop without having to administer more specific measures in a top-down coercive manner. With sound money things like price signals and saving actually work. Bad actions are punished and good ones rewarded. The way it should be.

We already started our first steps on this path. Let me lay out in rough terms how it could go down:

• people use it as a speculative commodity and increasingly as store of wealth (good money drives out bad)
  • people increasingly value bitcoin as the best way to save their wealth and since it's also easily transactable globally, it gains traction for payments, in turn increasing its value for store-of-wealth (positive feedback loop)
  • the fiat currencies continue their race to the bottom. Wealth is increasingly being stored in hard assets (land, art, companies, crypto,...). Not sure wether the banking system will collapse or adapt, but the economy will survive (not without a good cleanup, though). There will be much debate (and fighting) about who owns what (except with crypto, on that front it's quite clear: whoever has access to the private keys can spend)
  • with fiat growing increasingly irrelevant, governments crumble or downsize considerably becoming fiscally prudent or non-existant in the process. Maybe different organizational structures (rules?) of differing sizes and shapes might evolve.
  • same goes for big corporations: they'll either fail or adapt (regulatory capture and corruption don't work well any more)
  • things like global surveillance of the population, wars, etc will become much less common because noone wants to pay for that stuff
  • we have a largely level playing field, honest work and good innovation is being rewarded while bad action is being punished (failures allowed to happen, no lender of last resort, incentive to not fuck up). This should lead to more efficient use of resources.
  • Largely in control of our own well-being, we all lead a mostly happy and prosperous life.

Now maybe it's naive to believe things can evolve like that and actually lead to later points (I also omitted some important things, like who controls public opinion), but I'm willing to try to take the chance and continue spreading the use of crypto.

;tldr: the use of sound money is the single most effective measure we can take to improve (or prolong) our collective well-being (on a side-note: I also think the use of crypto (mainly Bitcoin) as a store of wealth is the single most effective measure one can take to improve and prolong his personal well-being)

You nailed it.
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

Activity: 208
Merit: 100
August will be a pretty exciting month, some altcoins would launch major upgrades to their grids, some major funds will open and hopefully, major dollar will enter the bitcoinland.

See ya fellas! Let it be the day we are waiting for so long!
Activity: 232
Merit: 100
Well now.

I have to check my calculations over as I do my math with legos, but I think we may be at the moment we have all been waiting for.  Well at least since last Christmas or so.

The log trend line and the actual price look like they are about to meet up in a significant way. 

Any actual techie gurus out there want to confirm?  But I think the next big move is a major trendsetter.  Or breaker...

+1, for the last few years, each downswing has touched a lower bound (a long-term MA) twice, then off we go to the next plateau.

for ex:
early 2012 bounced twice of the 80 day MA,
late 2012- 170 day MA,
early 2013 - 240 day MA
late 2013/2014 - 365 day MA

its coming up again... from ~500-530 depending on time frame, exchange, etc... i hope we touch it.
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants
Well now.

I have to check my calculations over as I do my math with legos, but I think we may be at the moment we have all been waiting for.  Well at least since last Christmas or so.

The log trend line and the actual price look like they are about to meet up in a significant way. 

Any actual techie gurus out there want to confirm?  But I think the next big move is a major trendsetter.  Or breaker...
legendary
Activity: 1133
Merit: 1163
Imposition of ORder = Escalation of Chaos
I'd like to join the technological unemployment discussion.

As to technological unemployment, it is indeed a good thing. Nay, a fantastic thing. A world without a demand for anyone to work except those who are highly technically skilled would clearly be a world of plenty. Just think about it: no one needs anything non-technical done; that means no non-technical need is going unfulfilled: no one is hungry, because if there were any shortage of food there would be demand for farmers. No one is unclothed, because if there were any shortage of clothes there would be demand for weavers, etc.

And if you'll say that any shortage of clothing will just be met by more machines, YES, that's the whole point and it's great! It means, again, there is no shortage of clothing. Clothing is not in demand. But still more miraculously, no people (or very few people) are required to devote their labor to achieve this state of affairs. It's the whole reason you buy a dishwasher, for example, freeing you up to do something you think is more fun or valuable than washing dishes by hand. You're not working anymore because you don't need to do the work. You're either doing some other work that needed doing, or - if there is no other work at all that needs doing - you're living in a paradise, since all your needs that could be met by any kind of human labor are already met. You don't even need a shoulder massage, because if you did you could hire someone to do that and that would be a non-technical job created, contradicting the initial assumption.

This would be paradise, a situation where you don't need to work at all and you can still experience a higher standard of living than you do now. On the way there, we'll have intermediate situations where you can work only part time with no reduction in life quality, then only 5 hours a week, then a few minutes a week will do it. Finally most people won't work at all unless they want to enjoy an even higher standard of living or if they just want to occupy themselves with something for the fun or psychic reward of it. There is absolutely nothing to be afraid of about this scenario. And keep in mind at no time is the unemployment involuntary in such a future. It's people working less because they care little to better their already quite nice situation by toiling for hours a day; instead they will work only a few hours a week, or eventually not at all - all the while enjoying an increasing standard of living.

Many people when confronted with the (rather probable) scenario of unemployment due to technological progress are apprehensive about such a scenario. Losing employment is by definition negative. Yet most people when queried respond that they don't enjoy their jobs very much or at all and they'd rather be doing something else. This peculiar situation tells us something about the state of our culture. I can't hope to try to describe what has happened as eloquently as Robert Anton Wilson in his book Prometheus Rising (1983) so I'll quote him:

Needs would still go unfilled, because people without jobs would not have the money to pay for them.

Yes indeed! And that would be a bad thing, right? It doesn't tell us anything about our available resources for fulfilling those needs, though. What it tells us instead is that our system of managing and distributing those resources is sub-optimal. Now what can we do about that? A resource based economy has been proposed by the Zeitgeist movement. I am skeptical about it because of its rather centralized nature but I support the testing of such an idea on a voluntary basis. This solution aims to eliminate the problem of unequal distribution of the bio-survival tickets (money) by eliminating the need for them in an economy. The problem with this is that money fulfills an important role today: it helps us with attributing prices to resources and so managing their distribution. This would have to be replaced by some other means of determining where resources should flow in society and central planning just doesn't cut it for me.

Other than this suggestion we are left with trying to work within the confines of a system based on bio-survival tickets but perhaps we can change the way we use them (our culture) and/or the attributes of the tickets (Bitcoin anyone?). I feel like a broken record lately, but I want to emphasize the need for a culture of tipping and micropayments to emerge so we can foster the kinds of economic relationships Zanglebert Dingleback was talking about. This might be a stepping stone in the right direction. Think bloggers, coaches, consultants, IT people, artists, receiving direct transactions from their customers or their audience and thus supplementing or even supplanting their employment income.

Lets look at this another way:

My fear is that this world will result in a massive increase in inequality.  Essentially, there will be two classes of people.  Those who contribute to creating and operating the automated systems, and those that don't.  The economic value of the latter class will be negligible compared to the economic value of the former.  EDIT: And in the long term the latter class is invevitably the majority.  And in my dystopian future (not the only future, but I fear the most likely) the majority are living in poverty.

roy

This scenario has been explored as early as 1895 by H.G. Wells in his book The Time Machine. In this futuristic dystopia the human race has evolved into two species - the ruling class of Eloi who reap all the benefits of a fully industrialized society and the working class of Morlocks, who run all the machinery, but get close to none of the benefits. This might indeed be a possible endgame for our current system. That's why I advocate changing, nay, abolishing the system. What we need are systems and protocols Wink
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 10832
Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

For the last 200 years it is a correct assessment, but if you are old enough, comparing 2014 with 1999 in almost every aspect (except, bitcoin  Wink): living conditions, income and work load in US for a majority of the population are much worse in 2014, no question about it. Creeping unrecognized inflation; long term unemployment; higher premium, but worse medical plans-we have it all. Because of high unemployment, people have difficulty changing jobs and/or moving, etc., etc.
I am trying the Piketty book-it seems that he got something right there regarding the cause of this situation, but I am not sure what solutions (if any) are possible.
Maybe if people stopped consuming 105% of their salaries "because I deserve this treat". Their deficit is the businesses' earnings, which goes to stockholders, people who saved so they could invest.

I have heard of many bad things the government does, but never found an explanation for people digging themselves into debt and acccelerating the treadmill of hedonic adaptation on which they are barely keeping up. I have to think that's their own doing.

Systems are set up to create incentives, including whether to save or to spend... whether to invest or NOT too... and where and how to invest.
donator
Activity: 496
Merit: 500
Spanish Bitcoin trader

For the last 200 years it is a correct assessment, but if you are old enough, comparing 2014 with 1999 in almost every aspect (except, bitcoin  Wink): living conditions, income and work load in US for a majority of the population are much worse in 2014, no question about it. Creeping unrecognized inflation; long term unemployment; higher premium, but worse medical plans-we have it all. Because of high unemployment, people have difficulty changing jobs and/or moving, etc., etc.
I am trying the Piketty book-it seems that he got something right there regarding the cause of this situation, but I am not sure what solutions (if any) are possible.
Maybe if people stopped consuming 105% of their salaries "because I deserve this treat". Their deficit is the businesses' earnings, which goes to stockholders, people who saved so they could invest.

I have heard of many bad things the government does, but never found an explanation for people digging themselves into debt and acccelerating the treadmill of hedonic adaptation on which they are barely keeping up. I have to think that's their own doing.
donator
Activity: 5
Merit: 0
Any interest in Bitcoin gentlemen and gentleladies? Seems to not be of interest for 100 pages or so.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team

The trend is so blindingly obvious that it scarcely warrants mention: unskilled labor gets easier and easier (hard/dangerous/dirty labor gets paid more), and the wages received buy a dramatically greater standard of living. When we add in technological innovations that further save on the labor that is otherwise necessary for basic living - such as washing dishes, bailing water from a well (to say nothing of digging and maintaining the well) - the argument becomes several times more striking.

How does this apply to real estate? In the US a lot of people living in crack addled trailer parks who have iPhones and Netflix, but they still have drug addicts for neighbors. We need to broaden what is included in our "quality of life" stats to capture this; it's presently invisible.

I would argue that they are living in in crack addled trailer parks because they have iPhones and Netflix.
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 10832
Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"
hmmm, interesting!

I don't want anyone to stand long hours in me!  Angry

Cheesy

I was trying to figure that out ...... NOW,  I see...  Shocked
Jump to: