Author

Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;) - page 139. (Read 907212 times)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100
Have a look at the 12h/1d chart, from June's runup ($680 top) to now.

It resembles a smaller version of bitcoin's larger "bubble" cycle, which is repeated all over in digital currency land and in varying sizes if you look, and of course represents repeated actions of market participants in response to external events and their own psychology. It's really more of a drawn-out correction cycle as the value is always overshot by excited buyers, then corrects in waves as the market seeks a fair price.

With that in mind there is definitely room for more downside (550-560) as we are in final capitulation of this cycle, a heavy distribution (selling) phase where morale is lowest. Then the cycle repeats again with a large accumulation (buying) phase. When that will happen I'm not sure, early/mid August is a pretty good guess.

Ah, finally some quality analysis around here again, in between castle and cigar talk Smiley (Not that I don't like a good castle talk)
I think you may be correct. Although I'm having difficulties to see a clear structure of the small bubble you're talking about. I think the pattern isn't that clear.

I see it, although I've been intrigued with this particular pattern for a long time.  A simpler way to look at it is a pennant continuation with a dip at the end. There's usually a 50-60% initial correction from the top, a final bull run that ultimately fails, then a long drawn out bear market with final capitulation. And of course the longer the timescale the more volume involved and the more weight the analysis carries. I mean we could rocket up tomorrow but I'd watch for a bottom to form in the 6h/4h charts first. At this time I'm not convinced.

I also think this is interesting! Keep us posted when you think the time has come!
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

It resembles a smaller version of bitcoin's larger "bubble" cycle, which is repeated all over in digital currency land and in varying sizes if you look, and of course represents repeated actions of market participants in response to external events and their own psychology. It's really more of a drawn-out correction cycle as the value is always overshot by excited buyers, then corrects in waves as the market seeks a fair price.

With that in mind there is definitely room for more downside (550-560) as we are in final capitulation of this cycle, a heavy distribution (selling) phase where morale is lowest. Then the cycle repeats again with a large accumulation (buying) phase. When that will happen I'm not sure, early/mid August is a pretty good guess.

Ah, finally some quality analysis around here again, in between castle and cigar talk Smiley (Not that I don't like a good castle talk)
I think you may be correct. Although I'm having difficulties to see a clear structure of the small bubble you're talking about. I think the pattern isn't that clear.

I see it, although I've been intrigued with this particular pattern for a long time.  A simpler way to look at it is a pennant continuation with a dip at the end. There's usually a 50-60% initial correction from the top, a final bull run that ultimately fails, then a long drawn out bear market with final capitulation. And of course the longer the timescale the more volume involved and the more weight the analysis carries. I mean we could rocket up tomorrow but I'd watch for a bottom to form in the 6h/4h charts first. At this time I'm not convinced.
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
Trust me!

legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
I try to have long term goals but it's very discouraging when you can't have any savings since it goes to pay basic needs, so you cannot start any sort of meaningful life proyect. I've already given up on owning my own place and bringing girls there and generally living like a normal healthy human being. Im stuck in my parents house for life until I inherit it or some shit.

When I was 12 I realized I need to get to Helsinki or I would be stuck in a village where the distance to the nearest elementary school is 25 km and employment was about 30%. (My brother currently runs the farm and both parents are working outside in addition, to make the ends meet.) So I needed to undergo the following, among others:

- Working on farms (several employers), potatoes, picking strawberries, manufacturing & selling products, general farmwork, to raise money
- Buying and playing every title of the Sid Meier's Civilization series to enhance strategic thinking
- Saving money whenever possible, especially never buying a drink (even at my own sophomore party), always drinking from the toilet tap, going a whole day without drinking if tap water wasn't available, walking up to 8 km habitually just to save money, never buying clothes or food until 18
- Investing in stocks in the age of 16, in Russian market when 18, it went down 75% in 2 weeks since I bought
- Biking 22 km/day instead of taking a subsidized bus, to save money; hopping off bus 1 km early because the fare was cheaper
- Delivering spam to ppl's mailbox, twice per week, up to 830 mailboxes at a time, while trying to study
- Scavenging the trashbins for food, living up to 6 weeks without even once buying groceries, during uni
- Falling victim to multiple scams and money-making schemes
- First company went bankrupt and due to good luck, I did not end up losing all
- Second company was still making loss after 5 years, so essentially I subsidized it with my time and lived off wife's salary
- An arm of the government of Finland confiscated all my assets once for 7 months, no charges, no compensation
- Only occasionally had a car or two (or up to 8 when we had a car rental agency)
- Never owned real estate before buying the castle
- Making my first million at the age of 29, a mere 17 years after making the commitment to do so.

=> Make a target and stick to it. The unalterable laws of statistics favor the determined, if you just roll the ball enough many times Smiley

17 years sounds like much, but really if you are now 23, you'll then be 40. Not everyone who is 40 has a million euros! Also you are older in the beginning, so it's possible you can do it ~4 years sooner just for that reason. Then the general speed of things has increased a lot, shave off an additional 2 years. So at 34, you'll be a millionaire!

What people need to see is that most millionaires make their money by NOT SPENDING.  Risto demonstrates this mentality throughout his post.  Saving all your money gives you money to invest when opportunities come around.

Interest in bitcoin almost forces you to become a "crazy" saver. Apart from regular spending and regular retirement account, I started to save almost 100% "savable" extra in bitcoin because between RE, fiat retirement funds and soc security, i figured that I am OK with non-bitcoin savings, but need to increase bitcoin holdings as fast as I can, so a relatively large proportion of my earnings is currently going to btc in one way or another. I decided not to sell fiat stock holdings for bitcoin so far.
Activity: 924

Activity: 248
Merit: 250

It comes basically down to the question if they're only selling Bitcoin they actually do have. Is that even allowed to sell more Bitcoin than they actually own in this case?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I beleive that they are only able to offer as much as they own. This is why I made the point about how they aren't going to be putting up their own coins so all etf coins will have to be bought from the general market.

The trust is going to hold bitcoin equal to the value of the ETF securities it issues, less expenses.  

The way the trust will do this is there will be "Authorized Participants" who will interact with the trust.  The trust will offer ETF securities to the Authorized participants in exchange for bitcoin.  The minimum transaction is a "basket" equal to 10,000 bitcoin and 50,000 ETF shares.  So each ETF share will be worth .2 bitcoin.

There will be "Seed Baskets" whereby one or more Authorized Participants will commit to exchanging bitcoin for ETF shares at a certain amount.  This is essentially the "IPO" of the ETF.  The Authorized Participants will then make those ETF shares available for trading on the Nasdaq.  

Pursuant to the Agreement, the bitcoin the trust receives may only be: "(1) held by the Trust, (2) transferred to Authorized Participants in connection with the redemption of Baskets; (3) transferred to pay the Sponsor’s Fee; or (4) transferred as needed to pay the Trust’s expenses not assumed by the Sponsor."  http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1579346/000119312514257706/d721187ds1a.htm

So other than expenses, and (2) above, the trust will hold the bitcoin.

What is (2) above?  (2) is a reference to another way the Authorized Participants are different than retail investors in the ETF.  In addition to "creating" new ETF shares by tendering bitcoin, they may tender ETF shares (again, with same minimum basket size) to the fund in exchange for bitcoin.  

The ability of Authorized Participants to create and redeem ETF shares, in exchange for bitcoin is what manages the supply and demand of shares after the initial transaction.  The goal is that the ETF share price is relatively close to the Net Asset Value ("NAV") per share of ETF (equal to the the value of bitcoin held less expenses).  If the ETF price is above the NAV, then Authorized Participants will sell more bitcoin to the trust, and more ETF shares will be issued, which will increase the supply and push the price back close to the NAV.  And vice versa if NAV is above the ETF.  Or at least that is the goal.

This is the same process for many ETFs that are backed by an asset, including gold.  However, not all asset-based ETFs are backed by the asset, others may be based on derivatives designed to track gold prices.  And then, of course, there are many other derivative transactions related to gold or other assets that may or may not be backed by gold.  This is why the total notional value of gold ETFs and other securities may exceed the total value of gold in existence.

TLDR: Winklevoss fund will be backed by bitcoin.  Many asset based ETF, including gold ones, are also back by the asset.  Others aren't, which is why the total notional "paper" amount of gold that is traded may exceed the amount of physical gold in existence.
Activity: 378
Merit: 255
I try to have long term goals but it's very discouraging when you can't have any savings since it goes to pay basic needs, so you cannot start any sort of meaningful life proyect. I've already given up on owning my own place and bringing girls there and generally living like a normal healthy human being. Im stuck in my parents house for life until I inherit it or some shit.

When I was 12 I realized I need to get to Helsinki or I would be stuck in a village where the distance to the nearest elementary school is 25 km and employment was about 30%. (My brother currently runs the farm and both parents are working outside in addition, to make the ends meet.) So I needed to undergo the following, among others:

- Working on farms (several employers), potatoes, picking strawberries, manufacturing & selling products, general farmwork, to raise money
- Buying and playing every title of the Sid Meier's Civilization series to enhance strategic thinking
- Saving money whenever possible, especially never buying a drink (even at my own sophomore party), always drinking from the toilet tap, going a whole day without drinking if tap water wasn't available, walking up to 8 km habitually just to save money, never buying clothes or food until 18
- Investing in stocks in the age of 16, in Russian market when 18, it went down 75% in 2 weeks since I bought
- Biking 22 km/day instead of taking a subsidized bus, to save money; hopping off bus 1 km early because the fare was cheaper
- Delivering spam to ppl's mailbox, twice per week, up to 830 mailboxes at a time, while trying to study
- Scavenging the trashbins for food, living up to 6 weeks without even once buying groceries, during uni
- Falling victim to multiple scams and money-making schemes
- First company went bankrupt and due to good luck, I did not end up losing all
- Second company was still making loss after 5 years, so essentially I subsidized it with my time and lived off wife's salary
- An arm of the government of Finland confiscated all my assets once for 7 months, no charges, no compensation
- Only occasionally had a car or two (or up to 8 when we had a car rental agency)
- Never owned real estate before buying the castle
- Making my first million at the age of 29, a mere 17 years after making the commitment to do so.

=> Make a target and stick to it. The unalterable laws of statistics favor the determined, if you just roll the ball enough many times Smiley

17 years sounds like much, but really if you are now 23, you'll then be 40. Not everyone who is 40 has a million euros! Also you are older in the beginning, so it's possible you can do it ~4 years sooner just for that reason. Then the general speed of things has increased a lot, shave off an additional 2 years. So at 34, you'll be a millionaire!

What people need to see is that most millionaires make their money by NOT SPENDING.  Risto demonstrates this mentality throughout his post.  Saving all your money gives you money to invest when opportunities come around.
Activity: 563

Risto, would you be willing to say whether this was related to Bitcoin transactions?

I'm sure we all fear the possibility of taking profits from our Bitcoin (or Monero) investments, only to trigger a SAR and have our fiat accounts frozen while the authorities investigate the transaction...

I'm scrupulous about record keeping so that I can prove that everything is above board should the need arise, but that doesn't stop the huge inconvenience that results from investigations like this....

roy
Activity: 624
Merit: 502
Thanks for the advice, she hates the smell, but doesn't mind the taste on my lips. What cigars would you recommend I smoke and give to close friends and relatives?

Country: cigars are either Cuban or non-Cuban. Cuban largest brands are Cohiba (best), Montecristo, Partagas, Romeo & Juliet, plus many others.

Thickness: 50-60 gauge is the most enjoyable, about 40 is the daytime cigar, 30 is a small one and 20 is cigarette thickness.

Length: does not matter as much as thickness, so Robusto (short but thick) is generally good.

For a special occasion, Cohiba Robustos/Siglo VI or even Cohiba Behike works perfectly. For guests, you can give cheaper R&J Wide Churchills that really pack a punch Smiley

Thank you, I have been smoking Montecristo's lately, they are my favourite!
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
Thanks for the advice, she hates the smell, but doesn't mind the taste on my lips. What cigars would you recommend I smoke and give to close friends and relatives?

Country: cigars are either Cuban or non-Cuban. Cuban largest brands are Cohiba (best), Montecristo, Partagas, Romeo & Juliet, plus many others.

Thickness: 50-60 gauge is the most enjoyable, about 40 is the daytime cigar, 30 is a small one and 20 is cigarette thickness.

Length: does not matter as much as thickness, so Robusto (short but thick) is generally good.

For a special occasion, Cohiba Robustos/Siglo VI or even Cohiba Behike works perfectly. For guests, you can give cheaper R&J Wide Churchills that really pack a punch Smiley
Activity: 798

It comes basically down to the question if they're only selling Bitcoin they actually do have. Is that even allowed to sell more Bitcoin than they actually own in this case?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I beleive that they are only able to offer as much as they own. This is why I made the point about how they aren't going to be putting up their own coins so all etf coins will have to be bought from the general market.
Rpietila, you have not posted any cigar suggestions in a while. I am getting married next year, what would you recommend for the occasion?

You wife will probably not like the smell of cigar in your mouth, so I recommend wiping your tongue with toothpaste several times before the night.

donator
Rpietila, you have not posted any cigar suggestions in a while. I am getting married next year, what would you recommend for the occasion?

You wife will probably not like the smell of cigar in your mouth, so I recommend wiping your tongue with toothpaste several times before the night.
For example, they re paying 40€/month for their smartphone contracts, and then they are surprised, that they have no money.

If you are paying more than 10€ per month for your phone, well then you are one of them.
Phone contract expenses are not the worst, there are people who complains about not having money while spending 200€/month on cigarettes...

Never smoked before I was a millionaire, not even once (except in the army when I once got two free cigs).

...but NOW my phone contract is 50€+ and 500-1000€/month go to cigars, plus the car is 1000€+ and then the castle expenses Smiley

I think it all boils down to the understanding of cash flow and exponential function.

donator
For example, they re paying 40€/month for their smartphone contracts, and then they are surprised, that they have no money.

If you are paying more than 10€ per month for your phone, well then you are one of them.
Phone contract expenses are not the worst, there are people who complains about not having money while spending 200€/month on cigarettes...

Never smoked before I was a millionaire, not even once (except in the army when I once got two free cigs).

...but NOW my phone contract is 50€+ and 500-1000€/month go to cigars, plus the car is 1000€+ and then the castle expenses Smiley

I think it all boils down to the understanding of cash flow and exponential function.
Activity: 812

A crucial part to success, which part is your favorite?
legendary
Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064
Bitcoin is antisemitic
Ah really? Well that's a bummer then. But do they really are 2 orders of magnitude above the actual reserves of gold?Huh?
Basically, they're running a fractional reserve then??!

yes you can find thousands of articles on the subject published in the latest years. But it's actually a tricky subject because the *actual* world's gold stock is supposedly greater of order of magnitudes than the *official* world's gold stock. This is because in every war since the beginning of history gold tends to magically disappear, often forever (cfr. 'Yamashita's gold')
Activity: 83
Merit: 10
what happens if there is no interest for the etf shares?

i hope so, since i expect that the most likely effect will be like the gold and silver ETFs on pm price.
if they will sell multiples in btc-promises of what they own it could drain lots of liquidity from the market

Could you elaborate, what happened there? Wouldn't a drained liquidity simply push the price up? Isn't that good?

It seems that gold paper promises amount to 100X+ the physical gold stock. You get that if you sell pieces of paper as gold-substitutes you push the price of the real thing lower, since you subtract demand from the real-thing's market.

I expect that the BTC ETFs will work exactly in the same way.

Will it work with BTC? You can easily take BTC out and put it in your pocket so to speak, but it's quite complicated with gold/etc.
Activity: 686
A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

i hope so, since i expect that the most likely effect will be like the gold and silver ETFs on pm price.
if they will sell multiples in btc-promises of what they own it could drain lots of liquidity from the market

Could you elaborate, what happened there? Wouldn't a drained liquidity simply push the price up? Isn't that good?

It seems that gold paper promises amount to 100X+ the physical gold stock. You get that if you sell pieces of paper as gold-substitutes you push the price of the real thing lower, since you subtract demand from the real-thing's market.

The thing to remember about the Winkl ETF is they own a lot of the underlying asset. They aren't going to sell their btc as part of the etf they will simply be buying more. Now if they hold a significant amount of BTC why would they want to keep the price of their investment down? Lets not forget gold vs btc we're talking about trillions vs a few billion.

Activity: 518
Trust me!

Ah really? Well that's a bummer then. But do they really are 2 orders of magnitude above the actual reserves of gold?Huh?
Basically, they're running a fractional reserve then??!
Jump to: