Pages:
Author

Topic: Satoshi might be mentally derranged - page 3. (Read 7857 times)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0
April 17, 2013, 08:27:13 AM
DPR = Dread Pirate Roberts = founder and main operator of Silk Road drug trafficking site that buys/sells things with BTC.

Nice article in Forbes about him.
Activity: 56
April 17, 2013, 08:26:23 AM
I want to point out something that doesn't seem to be occurring to anyone:

Not all profits are financial in nature. I've done random anonymous things which benefited people and had no expectation of being paid--I've even created a millionaire and live a very humble life. It's why I became a priest. But not all selfless people become priests, and not all priests are selfless people.... the point (before I digress too far) is that we all have our motivations for doing what we do, and starting a currency system which benefits the world is right up the alley of several people I know.

If Satoshi is an individual, I think he/she has earned privacy. Knowing who he/she is will not change Bitcoin, will not alter one bit what has happened so far, and will not create any new and wonderful system.

If Satoshi is a group, I think they are smart to avoid publicity.

In both cases, everyone expects there to be someone with a big ego, a major player, someone who has a lot to gain or lose with the publicity. And in truth, the best cryptographers in the world are people nobody knows the names of. So if this person is simply some highly-talented cryptographer who had never actually put anything together publicly, but in fact had the world's benefit at heart, I wholeheartedly wish him/her the best and reiterate that knowing this person's identity is not likely to be resolved any time soon.

Satoshi very likely crafted the identity to avoid the very kinds of attention that Gaven Andresen is having to deal with, but would have the added pressure of being "the guy who invented it all" and likely would have to take the brunt of a lot of verbal abuse from people who believed him to be the next incarnation of Satan or something. And so out of respect for the obvious talent of this individual to let go of any need to be a central figure, I offer heartfelt thanks for being strong enough to step out of the limelight and just allow Bitcoin to grow "in the wild" as it were, without having to be the one pumping it up into something it's not, or whatever.

Privacy should be observed.

And yes, we're kinda curious, but if we can't handle our curiosity, how can we possibly handle the anxiety of working with a new currency that every financial magazine is cursing out right now? Governments are trying to figure out ways to control it behind the scenes, since they really can't justify regulating something that has no controls on it. And that, perhaps is the biggest favor that Satoshi did to the world: robbing authorities of the ability to place controls, because the originator is simply anonymous in nature.

I believe that this is the very reason that I will never pry into Satoshi's identity. Not that I expect everyone to fall in line behind me, but I do hope that nobody ever finds out the real identity or identities.
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
April 17, 2013, 08:11:22 AM
Are you aware that DPR owns 600,000 coins (and that's a very conservative estimate)?

I don't know who is DPR?
Activity: 209
Merit: 148
April 17, 2013, 08:00:28 AM
It is not inconceivable that the original computer that Satoshi used as the 24/7 backbone of the Bitcoin network in 2009 and early 2010, also happened to mine 1 million coins. Sergio is talking about this.

Now, we know that the genesis block cannot be spent, because Satoshi thought it would be "unfair". Perhaps he thinks the same about these coins. Perhaps not.

Probably he is at this very moment thinking, which would be better for the universe:

- Send a message using those private keys, telling that he is about to never spend them. Possibly the coins would even be collectively banned after such a message. (Some communists have suggested this solution as a forced group decision without asking the owner of the coins.)
- Start spending them, essentially forming the largest bitcoin wealth & power center, far above the Winklevoss and the smaller fish. This comes with both privileges and responsibilities.
- Leave us in the state of confusion for some more time.

At the point when you possess the capability of generating something as valuable as this, you have a very different mindset towards money than that of the ones who want to have more of it, for the reason of getting a better life.

Are you aware that DPR owns 600,000 coins (and that's a very conservative estimate)?
donator
Merit: 1036
April 17, 2013, 07:09:20 AM
It is not inconceivable that the original computer that Satoshi used as the 24/7 backbone of the Bitcoin network in 2009 and early 2010, also happened to mine 1 million coins. Sergio is talking about this.

Now, we know that the genesis block cannot be spent, because Satoshi thought it would be "unfair". Perhaps he thinks the same about these coins. Perhaps not.

Probably he is at this very moment thinking, which would be better for the universe:

- Send a message using those private keys, telling that he is about to never spend them. Possibly the coins would even be collectively banned after such a message. (Some communists have suggested this solution as a forced group decision without asking the owner of the coins.)
- Start spending them, essentially forming the largest bitcoin wealth & power center, far above the Winklevoss and the smaller fish. This comes with both privileges and responsibilities.
- Leave us in the state of confusion for some more time.

At the point when you possess the capability of generating something as valuable as this, you have a very different mindset towards money than that of the ones who want to have more of it, for the reason of getting a better life.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Wat
April 17, 2013, 06:44:30 AM
Maybe satoshi is just a brilliant mind like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Forbes_Nash,_Jr

Activity: 728
Merit: 500
April 17, 2013, 05:14:10 AM
Or maybe it was just a thought experiment for him? A nice toy project?
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000
Antifragile
April 17, 2013, 04:52:30 AM
If Satoshi(s) were publicly around right now, you all realize they would be considered enemies of the State, much like Assange?

Though governments (or rather banks) are not publicly attacking bitcoin right now, if the person or persons behind Bitcoin were public, they wouldn't be safe and for many reasons. And you can all be certain Bitcoin is high on the watch list.

When Bitcoin starts to gain more acceptance they (Satoshi's) would well become public figures with power, sort of how like John Lennon of the Beatles did. And then when he started going against government/wars he was suddenly assassinated by a "crazy fan".

The best thing for Satoshi, is to remain silent. As another poster said, we are all basically Satoshi...

IMS
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1016
April 17, 2013, 03:28:20 AM
He even knows Satoshi's e-mail

Well anyone can see Satoshi's e-mail.  It used to be located at the bottom of the bitcoin.org page in 2009 and can be viewed with the webarchive tool here http://web.archive.org/web/20090303195936/http://bitcoin.org/

Now, whether or not he'll respond is another question  Roll Eyes
Speaking of that e-mail, I also found an old binary of bitcoin 1.3.0 which is from Jan 9 2009, I tried strings to see if I could extract some leftover data from his build environment, but the only thing that came up was MinGW 3.4.5.

Really, the only way to find his true identity, is if someone who has had replies via his e-mail to view the raw headers and his IP should be there, unless he used Tor.

He did use Tor. IMHO the only people who might be able to help crack this nut are GMX admins (German company I believe - no time to check this now).
Activity: 531
Merit: 505
April 17, 2013, 02:56:54 AM
Satoshi is a NSA group codename for a plot to explore the space of SHA2 partial collisions.
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011
Reverse engineer from time to time
April 17, 2013, 02:06:54 AM

Well anyone can see Satoshi's e-mail.  It used to be located at the bottom of the bitcoin.org page in 2009 and can be viewed with the webarchive tool here http://web.archive.org/web/20090303195936/http://bitcoin.org/

Speaking of that e-mail, I also found an old binary of bitcoin 1.3.0 which is from Jan 9 2009, I tried strings to see if I could extract some leftover data from his build environment, but the only thing that came up was MinGW 3.4.5.

Really, the only way to find his true identity, is if someone who has had replies via his e-mail to view the raw headers and his IP should be there, unless he used Tor.
Activity: 60
Merit: 10
April 17, 2013, 02:05:54 AM
I think he intended to become rich. I think he intended to remain anonymous to make it easier for people to forget that advancing Bitcoin makes him richer. In fact, all future Bitcoin users are what speculators are banking on for profit. It's not that different from a Ponzi scheme...but it's not technically a Ponzi scheme (Or, it's no more a Ponzi scheme than fiat).

Well, there's a big difference: Fiat currency has governments with big militaries to back it up. They decide who owns what physical property, and they decide what currency you owe your property taxes in. Therefore, there will be a huge demand (by the government) for fiat currency, and that demand is driven by an entity that has a crapload of guns to force you to pay it in its fiat currency. BTC has no such benefactor.
Activity: 367
Merit: 250
Find me at Bitrated
April 17, 2013, 01:54:38 AM

Activity: 28
April 16, 2013, 11:31:27 PM
He read this post and would like to inform you he is watching you.
legendary
Merit: 1217
April 16, 2013, 10:41:06 PM
Satoshi actually deserves the Nobel Price of Economics since Bitcoin could potentially lead to a more efficient market economy.

Or make us all slaves. We still don't know what is going on with BTC.

+1 for satoshi as emperor of space time
Activity: 364
April 16, 2013, 10:36:19 PM
Maybe he felt the community had forsaken him when they betrayed Bitcoin by putting on the map too soon.  It was like when Jesus walked in the Temple and saw all the gambling and swindling.  He blew his lid, and killed off the Satoshi identity.  Its like as if we crucified him.  He died for our crypto-sins.  He really is the Crypto-Jesus!
Activity: 280
April 16, 2013, 10:30:22 PM
Another piece of evidence for his abnormal state of mind is his failure to patent his invention. Actually we don't know that, he may have filed a stealth patent and be waiting for Bitcoin to get really big before claiming license fees.
Activity: 899
Merit: 1002
April 16, 2013, 10:23:11 PM
Given that he's a master of subterfuge how do you know he's not currently working on the source code now just under a different identity ٩๏̯͡๏)۶
Activity: 364
April 16, 2013, 10:21:32 PM
Gavin picking up the torch is actually just as bold a move. The fact that he is one of the early core developers, though not the inventor, makes little difference if there ever is crackdown on Bitcoin itself.
Gavin will not get into any legal trouble at all for being the lead dev.  All he's doing is publishing software.  Now if he's mining too and they somehow single him out for that, diff story.
So If Satoshi had the intent of gaining personally from Bitcoin big time, the whole motivation for creating Bitcoin in the first place, was a lie and he is nothing more than a con artist. If he ever spends them, history will question his original motives. His only option is to give them away as a gift!

Why not, why shouldn't he get stinking rich if this really takes off and betters humanity.  He created wealth and opportunity and deserves to share in it.

Why don't you consider him trying to do both in one stroke.  This is Satoshi we're talking about!  He saw a way to greatly better man, and in doing so created a huge fortune for himself.  Its not stinking rich when you've earned.  He'll be the richest man in the world, and honestly so!
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000
April 16, 2013, 10:12:44 PM
(Satoshi) might have just deleted all those early coins he mined in a fit of rage

What would be wrong with that?
Pages:
Jump to: