Pages:
Author

Topic: SCAM EXCHANGE MONITOR: BestChange - page 4. (Read 1337 times)

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 5874
light_warrior ... 🕯️
July 01, 2022, 10:32:52 AM
\When funds are frozen on an AML basis, the jurisdiction of the exchanger itself rarely plays a role, because they often follow instructions from the custodial service that they use to receive and store cryptocurrency. Such services are subject to all international AML legislation of the countries in which they operate (in fact, all world). Therefore, your references and hints are inappropriate.\
The jurisdiction to which the exchanger is subject is currently completely independent of the international legal AML rules (due to sanctions).
legendary
Activity: 1122
Merit: 2039
Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange
July 01, 2022, 10:06:09 AM

If you take a look at exchangers list, most of them are with 0 (ZERO!) negative reviews, because if you post negative review they invite the exchanger to comment and all that exchanger have to to is to click "cancel claim" and your negative review becomes a comment.

We don’t have a notion of a “negative review” on our website, the red marks unsolved financial claims to the service. Maybe it’s not the most obvious UX-design, but our service is over 15 years old, out of which for 13 years it has been exactly in this design and loyal users know about this feature.

Some exchangers, like Changelly, next to it's name have icon which shows:"This exchanger can require verification of client's documents", meaning that they might ask for KYC.

But when other exchangers who does not have this icon ask for KYC, freeze the money, like in MY CASE, they won't do anything and they will take exchangers side because they are the ones who are paying them.

The icon is obligatory only if KYC is obligatory for every (or for the absolute majority) of transactions. It there are random KYC-check for transactions with high level of AML-risk, we don’t make exchangers set this icon. However, we always urge users to get acquainted with the exchange rules before the operation, after coming to the exchanger’s website.

Unfortunately, BestChange supports the anti-Bitcoin idea of "taint", and like most (or all) companies that do so, they don't state that on their website.

BestChange supports the (crazy) idea that 1BTC≠1BTC, which is a huge threat to Bitcoin and it's users.

Please understand that AML does not threaten the integrity of bitcoin ecosystem as such, but it only limits the work with gateways between the traditional financial system and the crypto world. Whether you want it or not, but if you wish to exchanger bitcoin to dollars or rubles, you have to be so kind as to comply with the rules for handling fiat currencies, and they imply a tough policy of AML legislation in many countries of the world. With that, if you make deals within the crypto community nobody and never will censor your operations, this is the essence of decentralization.

Meanwhile, you want to shift the principles of decentralization to centralized services, such as exchanges, exchangers and simple shops operating in KYC-enabled jurisdictions. This position is quite popular and understandable, but it is fundamentally wrong and contrary to the laws of many countries.
Use bitcoin within cryptocurrency ecosystem, and don’t try to exchange it to fiat currency, then you won’t have to complaint at “AML-discrimination”.

Knowing the mentality of the country in whose jurisdiction such a legal exchanger is opened, I can say with 100% probability that not a single confiscated amount will be transferred to the authorities under any circumstances. Those legal legal clippings they refer to are a formality, as the letter of the law requires them to do so. Not to mention the nominee directors of this exchanger (as is often the case).

When funds are frozen on an AML basis, the jurisdiction of the exchanger itself rarely plays a role, because they often follow instructions from the custodial service that they use to receive and store cryptocurrency. Such services are subject to all international AML legislation of the countries in which they operate (in fact, all world). Therefore, your references and hints are inappropriate.

Note that the feedback has been bumped 48 times: BestChange allows the exchanger to cancel the claim (this happened 20 times). Then, Janyiah can renew the claim (which happened 19 times). That alone is very shady: imagine if any user on Bitcointalk could turn their negative feedback into neutral just by clicking it.

This is indeed a system that can be abused by the exchanges. Not good.

Thank you for having paid attention to this problem. But we would like to remind you that we don’t have “negative reviews”, we only have “financial claims”. This is why we have an automatic system that switches the exchanger off when it has several active claims. We understand that this is a somewhat old-fashioned scheme of work with financial claims, but it was implemented for the sake of protection from "consumer terrorism" in the absence of our moderators.

Currently, our staff number has increased sufficiently to process the majority of these cases manually, that’s why we are already working on changing this system — soon exchangers will have a very limited number of attempts to lift a claim on their own, without our interference. Please wait for this update, we are already thinking about all the details.
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
July 01, 2022, 07:22:48 AM
Those legal legal clippings they refer to are a formality, as the letter of the law requires them to do so.

Yep, this is most probably correct.

Therefore, if the funds are not returned to the user at the address from which they came, I will consider this precedent as a fraud.

Indeed, let's see what happens in the next few days. If they still keep the funds, the situation becomes clear.

Note that the feedback has been bumped 48 times: BestChange allows the exchanger to cancel the claim (this happened 20 times). Then, Janyiah can renew the claim (which happened 19 times). That alone is very shady: imagine if any user on Bitcointalk could turn their negative feedback into neutral just by clicking it.

This is indeed a system that can be abused by the exchanges. Not good.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 5874
light_warrior ... 🕯️
July 01, 2022, 06:49:25 AM
Since the service OP was using has stated that it uses KYC/AML, it's somewhat at the limit between scam/stealing and not (although I guess that there's a bigger chance they keep those funds instead of sending them to the authorities). I would certainly avoid them, but I'm hesitant in calling them scammers.
OP should have been taking more precautions and avoid them earlier.
Knowing the mentality of the country in whose jurisdiction such a legal exchanger is opened, I can say with 100% probability that not a single confiscated amount will be transferred to the authorities under any circumstances. Those legal legal clippings they refer to are a formality, as the letter of the law requires them to do so. Not to mention the nominee directors of this exchanger (as is often the case).

Therefore, if the funds are not returned to the user at the address from which they came, I will consider this precedent as a fraud. This is even quite ironic and somewhat similar to the fact that a gray office confiscates the user's supposedly gray money, referring to the law.

Well said

legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
July 01, 2022, 04:24:18 AM
Unfortunately Bitcoin is not fungible. Unfortunately, since the history of each and every input is viewable by anybody, various businesses can easily become picky in where your coins are coming from or what you are doing with them.

BestChange's case is not unique. Afaik some bigger exchanges may be doing the same. BestChange could mark these exchanges they redirect to, in a way or another, but... there will still be some who fail to read the signs and such classification may also not be great for the business.
What has happened to OP is pretty much not unique also.

I don't understand why people don't read everything thoroughly before sending their money here and there.
I don't understand why people don't test new services with smaller amounts of money, which don't have the potential to "hurt the budget" much in case things go wrong.

Since the service OP was using has stated that it uses KYC/AML, it's somewhat at the limit between scam/stealing and not (although I guess that there's a bigger chance they keep those funds instead of sending them to the authorities). I would certainly avoid them, but I'm hesitant in calling them scammers.
OP should have been taking more precautions and avoid them earlier.
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1643
Verified Bitcoin Hodler
July 01, 2022, 04:11:12 AM
Bad business practices and horrible morals is not what constitutes a scam, although we sometimes wish it did. So basically there is no ground for a scam accusation nor will anyone do anything about this. Sorry to have to tell you that.

The best thing you can do is spread your message about their bad practices and hope that people stop using their services. They have social media channels, I presume? Thats where you can show their userbase what they really are.

But be careful not to go too far and give them an excuse to accuse you of something like libel....
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 2017
July 01, 2022, 04:04:43 AM
I don't see much future for this scam accusation from what the OP says, You can question the way they operate, but they are not a scam.

Looking at the other thread, I see that what happens is that the exchange freezed the funds that passed via Chip Mixer, which brings us to the central issue that is being discussed lately in the forum:

Unfortunately, BestChange supports the anti-Bitcoin idea of "taint", and like most (or all) companies that do so, they don't state that on their website.

Leaving aside the unfairness of this, do you see much future for a business model that is dedicated to obscure the origin of funds for "privacy"? I see it as having the same future as crypto ATMs that let you withdraw tens of thousands of non-kyc Euros in a relatively short time "for privacy".

Comprare/Vendere Bitcoin senza KYC: Bancomat Bitcoin rispettosi della Privacy

Translated: Buying/Selling Bitcoin without KYC: Privacy-Friendly Bitcoin ATMs.

As of today they require KYC for any transaction, any amount.

I believe that politicians are not aware of what mixers are, otherwise they would be banned or forced to operate differently, like ATMs.
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
July 01, 2022, 03:31:36 AM
It was brought up here:
Don’t you think exchangers that do not follow AML should be excluded from your site? Or at least marked as untrustworthy.
Today netex24 exchanger sent me tainted btc. And obviously service which i wanted to top up blocked my account.
I checked transaction via AML bot:

Risk Score: 50% Medium risk transaction
Medium risk
Exchange ML Risk Veryhigh - 100%

My stance:
tainted btc
What's that? Are you saying Bitcoin isn't fungible?

service which i wanted to top up blocked my account.
The solution is simple: don't use services that tell you your Bitcoin is different than another Bitcoin.
tainted btc
What's that? Are you saying Bitcoin isn't fungible?
I mean they sent dirty btc which involved in money laundering.
What I meant is: there is no "dirty" Bitcoin. A Bitcoin is a Bitcoin. You shouldn't let anyone tell you some Bitcoins have lower value than other Bitcoins.

BestChange's stance:
@rokuen
Thank you for the signal, we will certainly investigate the matter to find out all the details and if necessary, will take measures to prevent this in the future. The exchanger you named is one of the largest on over-the-counter and such appeals are the matter of exception.

In any case, your situation requires our involvement. We will certainly get in touch with the service representatives to find out the technical details of your transaction and offer them to change the counterparty, if necessary, if they use some compromised custodial service to store bitcoin.

Please send us the transaction address and, if possible, the order number in this service, so that we could check the information in blockchain and request the details from netex24.

BestChange supports the (crazy) idea that 1BTC≠1BTC, which is a huge threat to Bitcoin and it's users.
Activity: 7
Merit: 49
June 30, 2022, 07:44:21 PM
They promote themselves as:

BestChange.com is a free online service that helps to find exchangers with the best currency rates.

And they state this:

Every exchanger presented on our website has been thoroughly checked before listing, and the BestChange team constantly monitors exchangers' services quality. This minimizes risks when making financial transactions in exchangers listed on our website. Should an exchanger fail to properly fulfill its obligations, a number of measures would be taken against it which stimulate the exchanger to solve the issue as fast as possible.

Actually, they list only exchangers with referral program and all they care are their referral earnings. If you take a look at exchangers list, most of them are with 0 (ZERO!) negative reviews, because if you post negative review they invite the exchanger to comment and all that exchanger have to to is to click "cancel claim" and your negative review becomes a comment.

Today I have found that there are many exchangers listed there with more "comments" then positive reviews, but they are still listed.

Some exchangers, like Changelly, next to it's name have icon which shows:"This exchanger can require verification of client's documents", meaning that they might ask for KYC.

But when other exchangers who does not have this icon ask for KYC, freeze the money, like in MY CASE, they won't do anything and they will take exchangers side because they are the ones who are paying them.

They have multiple domains:
bestchange.com
bestchange.ru and mirror bestchange.net

Profile links:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/bestchange-1073450
https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/bestchange-1978649

Threads on Bitcointalk:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/forget-about-exchanger-search-use-bestchange-3309245
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bestchangeru-5179115

Signature campaign:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/cfnp-bestchange-signature-campaign-sr-member-5217201
Pages:
Jump to: