Pages:
Author

Topic: scenarios if US Govt tried to take down bitcoin? - page 4. (Read 11904 times)

legendary
Activity: 4690
Merit: 1276
it will take some time to change that, most nodes wont be able to broadcast/listen other nodes, and changing the port can create two different forks old nodes cant listen new nodes.

Edit: and this can buy them some time....

True - I was only meaning that changing the port is technically dead easy (i.e. they would be playing "whack-a-mole").

The general solution to that would probably to to whack the mole so hard that the other moles don't want to play.

I cannot judge the conditions under which such a strategy might be employed and thus the effectiveness of the strategy.  There are way to many potential factors and scenarios.  It is certainly worth tossing into the mix as a potential threat when it comes to long term planning though.  IMHO anyway.

legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
A couple of thoughts:

- The cryptography could be broken. Nobody would know about it.
- The block chain gets too big to maintain for the average bitcoin user. We would know about it and possibly be able to fix it in time.

Terrible, terrible thoughts.

Really fighting the urge to rant here about how dumb this is.
It gets broken? Change algorithm.
Block chain gets too big? Only make users download the newest part of it (up to a year?), or mini blockchain.
Activity: 370
Merit: 250
A couple of thoughts:

- The cryptography could be broken. Nobody would know about it.
- The block chain gets too big to maintain for the average bitcoin user. We would know about it and possibly be able to fix it in time.

Terrible, terrible thoughts.

Really fighting the urge to rant here about how dumb this is.
legendary
Terminated.
Its easy, they just need to force microsoft to put in some kind of program that stop bitcoin wallet and miners...
Microsoft can't do that.
Also this is why there are other OS's.
Activity: 437
Merit: 255
Shutdown of the Bitcoin network is not possible. Apart all the arguments brought here it has simply a geopolitical reason - read this:  http://tinyurl.com/oq8lhme  Point (1)
Activity: 27
Merit: 0
Its easy, they just need to force microsoft to put in some kind of program that stop bitcoin wallet and miners...

This could be done however Microsoft couldn't ban all the different software and then the ones that popped up after the fact.  If this was possible then uTorrent wouldn't exist.
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
things you own end up owning you
it will take some time to change that, most nodes wont be able to broadcast/listen other nodes, and changing the port can create two different forks old nodes cant listen new nodes.

True - I was only meaning that changing the port is technically dead easy (i.e. they would be playing "whack-a-mole").

sorry I now got what you meant.
legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1086
Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

legendary
what if they force ISPs to block 8333 port, it seems stupid but it is a possibility.

Dead easy to change the port - and as Bitcoin traffic is small compared to things like Bittorrent it could also be hidden within other protocols if push came to shove.

legendary
what if they force ISPs to block 8333 port, it seems stupid but it is a possibility.

Dead easy to change the port - and as Bitcoin traffic is small compared to things like Bittorrent it could also be hidden within other protocols if push came to shove.
legendary
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
Let us not forget as long as one copy of the latest blockchain is kept, the entire network is rebootable. Also governments maybe able to shutdown big mining farms, but we could just get it going with the graphics cards and CPUs(they can't just forbid people buying computers, can they?), it may even be beneficial as nobody dares to setup big ASIC farms again, decentralization achieved! About 51% attack, it's entirely preventable, Gavin has posted an idea which seems to work, it's just that it's not an urgent task.

Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Surely if they tried, the mining community and current users would just switch to another crypto or quickly create a SHA256 bitcoin 2.0, as mentioned short of switching off the internet (impossible) they cant stop it.
Activity: 826
Merit: 501
in defi we trust
They can not take it down as they cant take Torrents down because they are peer to peer and no CEO to arrest  Smiley

Usual misconception , only the traffic is peer to peer
In order to get either the torrent file or the magnet link you have to go to a website (like piratebay to get it) which can be taken down and that's all folks.
Without the torrent hash you won't be able to download anything.
And don't come back with the childish argument...they are unable to bring tpb down... they can and they will if it would be really threatening.

If they keep low and just sprout non sense about the pirateparty and so , they are left alone , if they start doing things like Kimdotcom , they might end in a car crash.
legendary
Could an attack such as a 51% attack succeed in eradicating bitcoin (erasing all or "recent" transactions)?  Could it be done anonymously?  And again, most importantly, is there any solution to this within the bitcoin framework or in a proposed cryptocurrency.  For example what if the blockchain of a new cryptocurrency were hosted only through servers in safe countries run by vetted individuals?  What if the coins were not mined but donated at a given rate to a basket of legal protection & PR entities while the trusted servers ran off transaction fees?  Is anything being considered or constructed as a backup in case bitcoin is taken down by a 51% attack - is there a consensus solution?  Because if there is no backup or solution it makes such an attack far more likely.

Yes a >50% (it isn't 51% btw) can erase all transactions since it forks (the miner can just mine empty blocks) and if that miner keeps winning then the blockchain could be rendered effectively useless as no tx would ever confirm (whilst it is still building the longest chain).

This problem has been discussed before but no solution has yet been proposed other than some sort of manual control (i.e. centralised decision) to be made by the devs.

I would certainly like to see a better method to prevent "unwinding back to the last check point" but seemingly no good (or agreed) method has been proposed.
Activity: 29
Merit: 0
Why all this talk about taking it down.  The reality is that it's already been shown not to be so good at covert drug dealing and the only thing left is speculation.  As long as governments get their tax cut they just don't care.  They got the printing press and taxes.  They will gladly support 100 winkelvoss / bitcoin trust etfs and as many exchanges as want to register and track users.  Sure there will be wealth made but real change takes time and mass populace discontent and we just aren't anywhere near that.  Enjoy the riches and be quick on the sell trigger if and when your stash becomes fuck you money.

I'll try once again to answer this and then go back to the original question.  Bitcoin was set up specifically because the govt took down earlier models which were more vulnerable.  Again, research EGold, Liberty Dollar, etc.  To say the banks/govt will just stand around while they lose control over currency (power) is unrealistic imo, but nonetheless that discussion needs a different thread. 

Could an attack such as a 51% attack succeed in eradicating bitcoin (erasing all or "recent" transactions)?  Could it be done anonymously?  And again, most importantly, is there any solution to this within the bitcoin framework or in a proposed cryptocurrency.  For example what if the blockchain of a new cryptocurrency were hosted only through servers in safe countries run by vetted individuals?  What if the coins were not mined but donated at a given rate to a basket of legal protection & PR entities while the trusted servers ran off transaction fees?  Is anything being considered or constructed as a backup in case bitcoin is taken down by a 51% attack - is there a consensus solution?  Because if there is no backup or solution it makes such an attack far more likely.
legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1006
First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold
Why all this talk about taking it down.  The reality is that it's already been shown not to be so good at covert drug dealing and the only thing left is speculation.  As long as governments get their tax cut they just don't care.  They got the printing press and taxes.  They will gladly support 100 winkelvoss / bitcoin trust etfs and as many exchanges as want to register and track users.  Sure there will be wealth made but real change takes time and mass populace discontent and we just aren't anywhere near that.  Enjoy the riches and be quick on the sell trigger if and when your stash becomes fuck you money.
legendary
Terminated.
You want to focus on technical attacks to bitcoin. I don't think it will be that kind of attack.

Nobody said that I know my own password.  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1470
Use Coinbase Account almosanywhere with Shift card
You want to focus on technical attacks to bitcoin. I don't think it will be that kind of attack.

Pages:
Jump to: