Pages:
Author

Topic: [SDC] ShadowCash | Welcome to the UMBRA - page 84. (Read 1289635 times)

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
Now it's stuck at 801127... and I did follow the instructions here https://blog.shadowproject.io/2016/03/18/stuck-on-block-783001-783007-or-783015/
Im currently stuck on 801127 as well on a fresh compile on linux. Did you fix it by chance?

*edit* looks like i got stuck because i was not using the right blockchain bootstrap. waiting for download now.
Downloaded from dasource and I am back on track Cheesy I'll figure out a good host for the pi blockchain bootstrap tomorrow and post when I am less sleepy.
legendary
Activity: 1133
Merit: 1050
Does shadowsend hide all the three: sender, sending amount and receiver?

Sender and sent amount is visible, but you can't tell who received those coins. You could have just converted it to SDT and sent it to yourself. When someone converts that SDT back to SDC, that amount may differ from sent amount. For example Bob can send 100 SDC as SDT to Alice. Then Alice can converts 50 SDT to SDC and still have some SDT left.

Are there any conversion fees from SDC to SDT and vice versa?

I think SDT transaction fee is 100x more.

0.0001 SDC
0.01 SDT
Activity: 744
Merit: 500

Sender and sent amount is visible, but you can't tell who received those coins. You could have just converted it to SDT and sent it to yourself. When someone converts that SDT back to SDC, that amount may differ from sent amount. For example Bob can send 100 SDC as SDT to Alice. Then Alice can converts 50 SDT to SDC and still have some SDT left.

Are there any conversion fees from SDC to SDT and vice versa?
Activity: 686

Activity: 744
Activity: 390
Merit: 250

----

* EDIT: My bad, I meant "every time you convert the anonymous SDT tokens back to SDC, it creates new addresses". In short: as you're in charge of the security of your funds, you should backup quite frequently AND of course encrypting your wallet with a strong password.

It might be a good idea to add a command to delete SDC addresses from the wallet. They will become unmanageable after a while if you get a new one every time you convert SDC, and having them remain in there creates a possible breach of secrecy should anyone ever get into your wallet.

I was apparently wrong even this second time. This all was an issue before our HD wallet release, so nevermind.

But still, backing up pays.
Activity: 503

----

* EDIT: My bad, I meant "every time you convert the anonymous SDT tokens back to SDC, it creates new addresses". In short: as you're in charge of the security of your funds, you should backup quite frequently AND of course encrypting your wallet with a strong password.

It might be a good idea to add a command to delete SDC addresses from the wallet. They will become unmanageable after a while if you get a new one every time you convert SDC, and having them remain in there creates a possible breach of secrecy should anyone ever get into your wallet.
Activity: 390
Now it's stuck at 801127... and I did follow the instructions here https://blog.shadowproject.io/2016/03/18/stuck-on-block-783001-783007-or-783015/

Hi,

I think you'll need to update your Shadow client. Check the left bottom corner, I'm presuming you're on version 1.4.0 and you're supposed to be on 1.4.0.3.
Thanks, I'm on 1.4.0.1 which files will I need to copy when updating?

edit: wallet.dat?

Exactly the opposite. You have to update all, except wallet.dat! That wallet.dat file contains keys to your coins, IOW you lose your wallet.dat file = you lose all the coins you had there.
It's a good practise to make backups of wallet.dat regularly, especially every time you receive the anonymous Shadow tokens* (= that creates a new address with every transaction, so you need to backup, otherwise you couldn't access the funds that the transaction contained).

Hope I explained it clearly; someone more knowledgable might object on the technical part, but in layman's terms, that's what's happening Smiley

----

Activity: 13
Merit: 0
?chooseusername>

You have an old version of the shadowcash client so you need to upgrade to fix your problem

You can get the latest version from the official shadowcash website https://shadowproject.io/ under /getting started/

(Do not trust quoted download links on this forum)

If you want to sync up quickly use the bootstrap here:  https://github.com/shadowproject/bootstrap

Edit: And yes, make multiple copies of your wallet.dat and store them offline safely.
Activity: 109
Merit: 10

Hi,

I think you'll need to update your Shadow client. Check the left bottom corner, I'm presuming you're on version 1.4.0 and you're supposed to be on 1.4.0.3.
Thanks, I'm on 1.4.0.1 which files will I need to copy when updating?

edit: wallet.dat?
Activity: 111
Merit: 15
Eat, sleep, code, repeat.

Hi,

code: Could you tell is at what block you got stuck? Hover over the syncing icon right bottom
96.19% its extremely slow  Huh
BTW still at the same % block#  783001, I could say this is the slowest chain download together with jumbucks... any idea how I can improve it? 16 active connections it says... very slow tho

Rather strange  Grin

hahaha thanks mate!
code: Could you tell is at what block you got stuck? Hover over the syncing icon right bottom
BTW still at the same % block#  783001, I could say this is the slowest chain download together with jumbucks... any idea how I can improve it? 16 active connections it says... very slow tho

Rather strange  Grin

hahaha thanks mate!

Hi there, thanks for your response!

Well, instead of pushing all the Shadow traffic through Tor, I'd rather use I2P for that matter. Also Shadow -> Tor -> I2P isn't a very good idea, simply because you'd be leeching without any contribution to either one of them, according to Whonix's documentation:

That's some nice piece of information you've found there. It does offer greater anonymity, but at a cost of not contributing.

Could you please be so kind and point me to the Tails script? Checked Github and I'm not able to find it Sad Would I have to reinstall Shadow every time I fire up Tails? Although that wouldn't be a problem as long as it's pretty straightforward to backup the vital data, especially the wallets. Do you have any best pratices advice?

https://github.com/shadowproject/tails-scripts

It's not the best solution we've had, but we're working towards a better one before the public market release.

At the moment you have to re-install the Qt dependencies after a reboot, but not the bockchain or binary. You'll have to manually run a command after reboot which is in the README.md

The best practices come down to good passwords, use sentences modified with numbers and other characters.

Also another question: Does one have to buy SDC before being able to get SDT? Or is it also possible to directly buy SDT? From an anonymity / privacy point of view what would the devs recommend?

You first buy SDC and then turn it into SDT. An exchange that also does SDT is a bit pointless but it's certainly possible.

I2P has a tunnal wizard, what tunnel should one create for Shadow? Setting those up is really easy. Will Shadow have an option which allows to choose between I2P or Tor?

To the devs: Are you planning to have I2P support built-in before the market gets released? In my opinion any anonymity / privacy feature should be viable, otherwise our asses would be at stake. Also please don't go the OpenBazaar route, by releasing the software without giving a few thoughts to OpSec. The OB people chose to butt rape anonymity a la "Hey OB uses UDP, Tor doesn't support it, but hey you could use a VPN..." lol.

You can't use I2P just yet because there is no dual stacked node. When we do release I2P support it will be a one-click setup process, it is already finished and when you click a button it does everything you want it to do for you  Grin

Choose Tor/I2P: Yes.

I2P support: Yes before public release.

Rather strange  Grin

Activity: 8
Merit: 0
I2P: Not merged, but there is a repo available with I2P support. You can send me a message, and I'l gladly help.

You'd need to setup your box to do the following, (Shadow -> I2P) -> Tor. It's not an easy setup to do, you can however do it with Whonix. On a VPS? I don't think so, unless I2P supports proxies.

We have support of Tails, with persistence to an USB. We haven't tested Qubes OS or Subgraph OS but we will explore that in the future.
^Check our github repo for the tails script.

Hi there, thanks for your response!

Well, instead of pushing all the Shadow traffic through Tor, I'd rather use I2P for that matter. Also Shadow -> I2P -> Tor isn't a very good idea, simply because you'd be leeching without any contribution to either one of them, according to Whonix's documentation:

Installing I2P inside Whonix-Workstation (I2P over Tor)

It is possible to run I2P inside the Whonix-Workstation.
user -> Tor -> I2P

Advantages:

Anonymity is provided by Tor.
    I2P router console works normal inside Tor Browser. No need to install a graphical user interface on the Whonix-Gateway.
    Eepsites (.i2p) can be reached directly from Tor Browser.
    I2P's end-to-end encryption will be used like usual.

Disadvantages:

Adds load to Tor.
    Adds load to I2P.
    It's slower than I2P directly on Whonix-Gateway or the ordinary usage.
    No contribution to the I2P network (leeching).

Source: https://www.whonix.org/wiki/I2P

Could you please be so kind and point me to the Tails script? Checked Github and I'm not able to find it Sad Would I have to reinstall Shadow every time I fire up Tails? Although that wouldn't be a problem as long as it's pretty straightforward to backup the vital data, especially the wallets. Do you have any best pratices advice?

Also another question: Does one have to buy SDC before being able to get SDT? Or is it also possible to directly buy SDT? From an anonymity / privacy point of view what would the devs recommend?

Since DeepDotWeb and other media outlets have written nice articles about the Shadow Project, and the ongoing blockchain analysis by the federal cunstables, being able to run Shadow on Tails would be huge! If there's any documentation available on how to install it on Tails or any other anonymity / privacy oriented distribution please make them more accessible, this project really deserves more attention, so please don't bury yourselves in all those Slack holes Smiley

I2P has a tunnal wizard, what tunnel should one create for Shadow? Setting those up is really easy. Will Shadow have an option which allows to choose between I2P or Tor?

If by any chance you happen to have instructions on how to get it done, I'd gladly try it out and post my experiences on setting up Shadow in Tails, also sending thinking about sending a little guide to DeepDotWeb and spreading the word.

To the devs: Are you planning to have I2P support built-in before the market gets released? In my opinion any anonymity / privacy feature should be viable, otherwise our asses would be at stake. Also please don't go the OpenBazaar route, by releasing the software without giving a few thoughts to OpSec. The OB people chose to butt rape anonymity a la "Hey OB uses UDP, Tor doesn't support it, but hey you could use a VPN..." lol.

Cheers!
Activity: 624
@code, is there any reason why the bc sync got stuck at 96.21%? it's been there for many hours. Thanks
Pages:
Jump to: