Pages:
Author

Topic: Selfless love... - page 2. (Read 4036 times)

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020
March 26, 2012, 06:50:55 PM
So is returning selfish love selfless and thus a virtue?

Again, this is retarded. Love involves yourself no matter what.

The only reason love would have to involve yourself is if it were perception based--- which it is-- proving that love doesn't exist.

It depends on the frame of reference.

In normal experience, we are subjects surrounded in a world of objects.  We view these objects as conditional and we identify with certain conditions.  This is selfish experience as the self (subject) is separated from everything else (object).

In a meditative state, subject and object become one.  This is verifiable.   There is a region of the brain that allows an individual to distinguish between their self and their environment;  in meditation, activity in this region of the brain ceases such that from the meditator's perspective, he literally becomes one with his environment.  It's also subjectively testable.  "I've" had this experience on several occasions.  I put "I've" in quotes because "I" takes on an entirely different meaning in a meditative state.  It is not a human experience in any way, shape, or form. There is also no way to accurately describe it in words.

The whole matter becomes confusing to understand because there are multiple frames of reference operating simultaneously.  Love can be selfish when it is experienced in the unified frame of reference (where subject and object are the same).  Love is selfless when the subject/object dichotomy is erected.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
March 26, 2012, 06:44:54 PM
Love is a longing for, no?

No, that's obsession, lust, loneliness, etc.
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004
March 26, 2012, 06:44:20 PM
Love is a longing for, no?
March 26, 2012, 06:41:07 PM

The only reason love would have to involve yourself is if it were perception based--- which it is-- proving that love doesn't exist.
Jon
donator
Activity: 98
Merit: 12
No Gods; No Masters; Only You
March 26, 2012, 06:40:14 PM

legendary
March 26, 2012, 06:39:59 PM
Love = wanting someone/some thing to be happy.  This is selfless because your focus is not on what it does for you, but rather it is determined as a result of who you already are.

Love sounds robotic.

Selfless, unconditional love is love that is free.

Selfish, conditional love is love that is bound.

I don't understand. If love is determined as a result of who you already are, then it is bound. Is it not?

Focus is determined, not love. 
March 26, 2012, 06:36:57 PM
Oh shut up. Love doesn't exist.
Activity: 728
March 26, 2012, 06:36:38 PM
Love = wanting someone/some thing to be happy.  This is selfless because your focus is not on what it does for you, but rather it is determined as a result of who you already are.

Love sounds robotic.

I don't understand. If love is determined as a result of who you already are, then it is bound. Is it not?
legendary
March 26, 2012, 06:33:49 PM

Love sounds robotic.

legendary
March 26, 2012, 06:32:14 PM
All we are arguing is about the word selfless. I think it's retarded.

True selflessness is death; you don't exist. Yes, I love seeing people happy but that's not selfless. I selfishly enjoy bringing joy to people's faces. It includes ME. I am not out of the equation.

That's all I am saying.

I'll try to make this short because what you just said requires a lengthy response if it is to be comprehensive.

It's not so much an argument about the word 'selfless' as it is an argument about conditional vs. unconditional states.

My guess is that you define yourself, as you do love, in conditional terms (e.g. I am Jon, I am Atlas, I am a solopsist, etc.).

All 11 definitions of 'identity' in Webster's Dictionary imply stability over time.  True identity is unconditional (e.g. a towel is both wet and dry otherwise how could a wet towel be the same as the dry towel it was before?).

I'm betting you're having a hard time with the word "selfless" because you haven't experienced moments of your unconditional identity with full awareness.  Similarly, I'm betting you haven't experienced moments of unconditional love with full awareness.  FYI, if you have experienced your unconditional identity with full awareness (for example, in a meditative state), only then will the words "selfish love" make sense.

March 26, 2012, 06:30:45 PM
Love = wanting someone/some thing to be happy.  This is selfless because your focus is not on what it does for you, but rather it is determined as a result of who you already are.

Love sounds robotic.

Atlas's love is robotic because it involves lots of animatronics moving their hands up and down his rectum.

I love being a "douchebag" because it gets what I put my mind to.

You put your mind to douches?
Activity: 728
March 26, 2012, 06:21:38 PM

Love sounds robotic.
Jon
donator
March 26, 2012, 06:19:22 PM
I love being a "douchebag" because it gets what I put my mind to.

Everyone else is just jelly because I don't act like a weakling and let them stomp all over me. That's what we call selflessness.
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1010
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
March 26, 2012, 06:16:48 PM
I don't really blame Atlas personally for being a douschebag. I see a lot of this beatnik type lost generation that endured a decade of senseless war, recession, and raised by the "Me" generation ex-hippie hypocrites. The best advice I can give anyone that has been a survivor is "fuck-it, it ain't worth worrying about." Make a plan and stick to it. Ignore the fucktards, and drive it like you stole it.
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004
March 26, 2012, 06:16:32 PM
Who loves bitcoin?

Jon
donator
March 26, 2012, 06:14:50 PM
All we are arguing is about the word selfless. I think it's retarded.

True selflessness is death; you don't exist. Yes, I love seeing people happy but that's not selfless. I selfishly enjoy bringing joy to people's faces. It includes ME. I am not out of the equation.

That's all I am saying.
legendary
March 26, 2012, 06:11:57 PM
"Selfless love would have to mean that you derive no personal pleasure or happiness from the company and the existence of the person you love, and that you are motivated only by self-sacrificial pity for that person’s need of you. I don’t have to point out to you that no one would be flattered by, nor would accept, a concept of that kind. Love is not self-sacrifice, but the most profound assertion of your own needs and values. It is for your own happiness that you need the person you love, and that is the greatest compliment, the greatest tribute you can pay to that person."

No.

Why?

Because you, and/or whomever it is you are quoting, are confusing love with the byproducts of love which arise when the ego (hence, selfish) gets involved.

Something similar would be like saying "love hurts."  No, it doesn't.  Jealousy, anger, frustration, etc. are some of these hurtful byproducts.

Another similar example is like saying "I'm worried about you because I care about you," but worrying about someone and giving care to someone are two completely different things.

All of these negative byproducts (jealousy, anger, frustration, worry, etc.) and even the positive ones (lust, pleasure, etc.) are not love.   If you experience these and think it's love, you are wrong.  These byproducts are intense but shallow; love is subtle but deep.  Because  the byproducts (the derivations) are intense, they are what are often noticed; because love is subtle, it is not often noticed in it's purest form and rather it is confused like in your quote.

What is love then? Unicorn dust? Absolute self-sacrifice?

You do it because you value the person, period. It's selfish.

Caring for someone is a selfish act: You want to maintain the person's existent for your satisfaction. You will be upset otherwise.

Love = wanting someone/some thing to be happy.  This is selfless because your focus is not on what it does for you, but rather it is determined as a result of who you already are.  The more a person loves himself, the more content they are and they will shift their focus naturally from wanting to make themselves happy to wanting to make others happy.  People who love themselves more are happier and act less selfishly -- people who do not love themselves are not as happy and act more selfishly.

Remember when I said projection is not only a defense mechanism, but also a truism?  This is a perfect example of that.  When you are less and less happy, the "love" you show will be more and more selfish.  When you are more and more happy, the love you show will be more and more selfless.  This is because your attitude inside is projected outward.

March 26, 2012, 06:02:39 PM

Caring for someone is a selfish act: You want to maintain the person's existent for your satisfaction. You will be upset otherwise.

You can't have it both ways.

You: I don't need anyone.

2 minutes later

You: Can you guys please explain life to me? Pweeeaze?
Jon
donator
March 26, 2012, 05:57:39 PM
"Selfless love would have to mean that you derive no personal pleasure or happiness from the company and the existence of the person you love, and that you are motivated only by self-sacrificial pity for that person’s need of you. I don’t have to point out to you that no one would be flattered by, nor would accept, a concept of that kind. Love is not self-sacrifice, but the most profound assertion of your own needs and values. It is for your own happiness that you need the person you love, and that is the greatest compliment, the greatest tribute you can pay to that person."

No.

Why?

Because you, and/or whomever it is you are quoting, are confusing love with the byproducts of love which arise when the ego (hence, selfish) gets involved.

Something similar would be like saying "love hurts."  No, it doesn't.  Jealousy, anger, frustration, etc. are some of these hurtful byproducts.

Another similar example is like saying "I'm worried about you because I care about you," but worrying about someone and giving care to someone are two completely different things.

All of these negative byproducts (jealousy, anger, frustration, worry, etc.) and even the positive ones (lust, pleasure, etc.) are not love.   If you experience these and think it's love, you are wrong.  These byproducts are intense but shallow; love is subtle but deep.  Because  the byproducts (the derivations) are intense, they are what are often noticed; because love is subtle, it is not often noticed in it's purest form and rather it is confused like in your quote.

March 26, 2012, 05:54:32 PM

He's only built for pointless endless loops.

He should be your new avatar, then.

Touché, sir. Touché.
Pages:
Jump to: