Pages:
Author

Topic: Selling 17500 shares of GLBSE (actual shares) - page 3. (Read 14967 times)

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
September 26, 2012, 05:17:32 AM
As stated elsewhere, GLBSE is not located in the U.S. The SEC can not shut down GLBSE any more than they can shut down the London Stock Exchange.

This guy probably thought the same: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/13/us-filesharing-extradition-idUSTRE80C15C20120113

I personally feel the choice of UK as a place to register GLBSE was maybe not the best. UK is known to be very subordinate to the US government. I'd feel more comfortable if they had chosen a country like Switzerland, Iceland, or even a micro-country like Liechtenstein or Singapore. But well, what do I know, IANAL.

GLBSE just needs to be structured differently and hire an accredited share broker. The SEC doesnt like you selling shares direct to the public they require some kind of stock broker.

The FSA does not allow anyone to sell shares to retail investors (i.e. non accredited investors) without a license. They also do not allow an 'exchange' to facilitate said share offerings/sales

Which means the SEC will not come to shut down GLBSE but they can simply ask the FSA to  look into it.

Regulation in this area is almost the same in the USA as it is in Europe.

As Nefario is already in the process of getting GLBSE FSA regulated they presumably already know about GLBSE. The downside of trying to get regulated is of course that when they say NO... they will shut you down. And if Nefario transfers GLBSE to another jurisdiction they can still go after him as they explicitly told him he's not allowed to do it.

If they say yes... then it opens up a lot of possibilities to bring Bitcoin into the mainstream, but it will mean KYC/AML etc...so it certainly won't be anonymous, not for the issuers and not for the investors
Activity: 222
Merit: 100
September 26, 2012, 05:07:22 AM
As stated elsewhere, GLBSE is not located in the U.S. The SEC can not shut down GLBSE any more than they can shut down the London Stock Exchange.

This guy probably thought the same: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/13/us-filesharing-extradition-idUSTRE80C15C20120113

I personally feel the choice of UK as a place to register GLBSE was maybe not the best. UK is known to be very subordinate to the US government. I'd feel more comfortable if they had chosen a country like Switzerland, Iceland, or even a micro-country like Liechtenstein or Singapore. But well, what do I know, IANAL.

GLBSE just needs to be structured differently and hire an accredited share broker. The SEC doesnt like you selling shares direct to the public they require some kind of stock broker.
The church also doesn't like you praying directly to your god. The pope wants to tell you first, what is best for you. Just like almost any monopoly, having a monopoly on interpretation is a dangerous thing. The most stupid thing: claiming ownership on ideas (hello apple).
 Maybe the US world domination plan just needs to be structured differently more toward cooperation Tongue
To some extend, regulation can be a good thing. Since the conditions of a free market, that all participants are informed equally, are almost never existing, a balancing set of rules is better than nothing. But acting like an arrogant bumpkin around the world, is only killing people and innovation.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Wat
September 26, 2012, 04:15:31 AM

legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004
September 26, 2012, 04:07:41 AM

Wat
September 26, 2012, 02:20:35 AM
The thing people dont realise is if GLBSE gets taken down by the SEC then all the other bitcoin stock exchanges will follow shortly afterwards because they all sell shares direct to the public. If GLBSE is registered and has qualified financial brokers then selling bitcoin denominated securities is perfectly legal. Someone needs to take this step to bridge bitcoin to the greater economy.

The pink sheets otc market is run exactly like this.
As stated elsewhere, GLBSE is not located in the U.S. The SEC can not shut down GLBSE any more than they can shut down the London Stock Exchange. They cannot also shut down MtGox as others have suggested.

if you sell securities to US citizens the SEC can in fact investigate and issue a bench warrant if need be. In that case they could extradite you from any country that has extradition treaties with the US. It's the same reason Julian Assange didnt want to go to Sweden.
legendary
Activity: 4438
Merit: 3387
September 26, 2012, 01:47:16 AM
The thing people dont realise is if GLBSE gets taken down by the SEC then all the other bitcoin stock exchanges will follow shortly afterwards because they all sell shares direct to the public. If GLBSE is registered and has qualified financial brokers then selling bitcoin denominated securities is perfectly legal. Someone needs to take this step to bridge bitcoin to the greater economy.

As stated elsewhere, GLBSE is not located in the U.S. The SEC can not shut down GLBSE any more than they can shut down the London Stock Exchange. They cannot also shut down MtGox as others have suggested.
Wat
September 25, 2012, 10:26:18 PM
Are you selling because the SEC is doing an investigation on GLBSE?

No. As far as I know, the SEC is not investigating GLBSE.

I talked to the SEC lawyer.  He asked me about my GLBSE account.  So they are investigating GLBSE.

Activity: 222
Merit: 100
September 25, 2012, 06:57:10 PM
Theymos, did you have previous knowledge of the action taken against Goat's assets (being kicked off the exchange) when you decided to sell?

I did not. I am very irritated about it.

Good to hear. Death to GLBSE!

Put your digital pitchfork and torches away and stay calm please. Smiley
Activity: 103
Merit: 10
September 25, 2012, 06:48:33 PM
Theymos, did you have previous knowledge of the action taken against Goat's assets (being kicked off the exchange) when you decided to sell?

Good to hear. Death to GLBSE!
Activity: 532
September 25, 2012, 04:15:51 PM

It's good to see there's a voice of sanity, even if it is the one looking to sell.
Activity: 451
Merit: 250
September 25, 2012, 02:45:36 PM
Are you selling because the SEC is doing an investigation on GLBSE?

No. As far as I know, the SEC is not investigating GLBSE.

I talked to the SEC lawyer.  He asked me about my GLBSE account.  So they are investigating GLBSE.
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032
September 25, 2012, 11:53:31 AM

Activity: 518
September 25, 2012, 10:30:27 AM
Wat
September 25, 2012, 09:18:07 AM
And how are the latest shenanigans helping you to sell your slice of this pie?
Few more fuck ups and this overpriced pie starts to look like a pavement pizza.
A Slice? Anyone?

The rats are jumping off the ship

MPEX is renowned for its sock puppets Tongue
Activity: 103
September 25, 2012, 08:56:43 AM
A Slice? Anyone?

The rats are jumping off the ship
legendary
Activity: 910
Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank
September 25, 2012, 08:51:53 AM
A Slice? Anyone?
Activity: 70
September 25, 2012, 01:01:52 AM
Headwind is the currency risk. If you expect bitcoin to rise to $100/coin over the next few years, it will be difficult to justify a purchase of 5000 btc today.

This. 5000btc is waaay over priced IMO.

Agreed.
donator
Activity: 994
September 24, 2012, 09:24:40 PM
Headwind is the currency risk. If you expect bitcoin to rise to $100/coin over the next few years, it will be difficult to justify a purchase of 5000 btc today.

That's also called opportunity cost. And here we go again with one of the major critic points about bitcoin: it's deflationary characteristics make investors reluctant to spend their BTC on investments. Even promising ones.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
September 24, 2012, 08:59:51 PM

donator
Activity: 994
September 24, 2012, 08:53:22 PM
Shit, if you don't want to buy the shares, don't make an offer.  Why does everyone feel the need to run their mouth all the time?

With all the scams recently, legitimate questions do the community a service by helping the readers to activate the other side of their brain and look beyond the money figure.
Pages:
Jump to: