Pages:
Author

Topic: Should Satoshi's coins be deleted? - page 5. (Read 5152 times)

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
April 22, 2015, 11:24:32 PM
No. Just my 2 cents

Firstly, it can't be deleted. The answer of your question is definitely NO.

Secondly, Satoshi never cashed out 1 btc or 0.01btc, he is a super sage.

Thirdly, almost every public company founder has large share of the company, you can't ask them delete their shares.

Finally, he deserves those coins, but he never sold one. If he sells some coins, how can we blame him?
Activity: 742
Merit: 502
Circa 2010
April 22, 2015, 11:06:54 PM
No. For the reason that if you did you'd set a precedent that people with power could choose to delete someone's coins meaning that as a store of value Bitcoin would be worthless. Nobody would be willing to keep and buy Bitcoins if they knew that one day someone could just remove/delete them all.
legendary
Activity: 1120
April 22, 2015, 10:57:41 PM
I would say that depending on the amount,but I guess he has a huge amount of thousands,and in that case I think that it is really dangerous that one person holds that high percentage of bitcoins
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217
April 22, 2015, 10:47:09 PM
I think yes, a 21% instamine is ridiculous. It gives a bad name to BTC.

Explain from where did you got that 21% figure? 21% means a total of BTC4,410,000. According to most analysts, Satoshi is in the possession of a total of BTC980,000, which accounts for just 4.67% of all coins. And a majority of his coins were mined after other individuals started mining.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
April 22, 2015, 10:41:09 PM
I vote.. NO.   No way they could know it would have any value at all. 
Activity: 518
Merit: 250
April 22, 2015, 10:31:17 PM
Bitcoin is a real cryptocurrency, it doesn't get deleted or just disappear one day.  Unlike Gridcoin, which just swapped to a new blockchain and screwed everyone who didn't hear about the swap in time.  If you own bitcoins, you can keep them for years and not worry about them going anywhere.
Activity: 462
Merit: 251
April 22, 2015, 09:02:48 PM
If so, we should first delete central bank's fiat money, currently they are holding more than 80% of USD in existence. If they dump all those USDs then USD's value will crash to single satoshi  Shocked
so imposibble to make like that, otherwise if all bitcoin adopter sell all the coin, the value of BTC will be crash to USD
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
April 22, 2015, 08:43:11 PM
If so, we should first delete central bank's fiat money, currently they are holding more than 80% of USD in existence. If they dump all those USDs then USD's value will crash to single satoshi  Shocked
Activity: 644
Merit: 500
April 22, 2015, 07:35:57 PM
A) there isn't
B) why should that even be contemplated?
c) if it were possible, then shouldn't we delete yours as well?

Really, what is the point of such a question???
Activity: 215
Merit: 101
April 22, 2015, 07:33:59 PM
I think it is clear from the poll that only a small number of loosers would go with the fork with the deleted coins.
legendary
Activity: 3178
Merit: 1128
April 22, 2015, 06:34:30 PM
My vote is no for this, let Satoshi have his Bitcoins which he deserves every bit of it, maybe he will be back later and use his coins, and on a realistic point of view it is not possible for you to get 51% miners throughout the world to your side and hardfork it.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
April 22, 2015, 06:13:35 PM
Why do you want to do this? seriously, what vendetta do you have against Satoshi, let him have his Bitcoins, how will it be if i just deleted your Bitcoins lol, let Satoshi have what is his.
Activity: 210
April 22, 2015, 05:57:08 PM
That's just a bunch of FUD.

There was NO "instamine" in bitcoin.  Saying so is simply a fear tactic from those that want to convince others not to trust bitcoin.

There is no clear answer as to exactly how many bitcoins Satoshi has mined.  Any number you've heard is nothing more than an educated guess.  The most likely estimates I've seen are somewhere around 1 million.  Even if he actually has control over 1 million bitcoins, that's only 7.1% of the bitcoins that have been mined so far (and only 4.8% of all the bitcoins that will ever be mined).  In order to have 21% "instamine", he'd have to have control over nearly 4.5 million bitcoins.  I haven't seen any analysis that would lead to such a ridiculous claim.

Yeah, there's no such thing as an "insta-mine". Every bitcoin was minted with an algorithm, that's what "proof of work" is all about. I think people get really riled up that Satoshi could "make magic money out of thin air" but they don't realize it's their own greed doing the talking for them, that Satoshi didn't sprinkle-dust some money for them, too.
This is wrong. You need to look up what "instamine" means, but in any case this is not what happened. One can't blame Satoshi because you didn't find his work in time and even if you did you didn't start mining.
If we were to delete his coins that would look bad because it would show that the developers could effectively make someone go from rich to broke.
Satoshi's coins shouldn't be touched and this discussion should be ended forever.

LOL. I know what I'm talking about. Trust me.
legendary
Activity: 1512
April 22, 2015, 05:54:17 PM
Babling about instamine is quite stupid thing as in that time there were very few ppl to mine and keep the blockchain running.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
April 22, 2015, 05:51:18 PM

There was NO "instamine" in bitcoin.  Saying so is simply a fear tactic from those that want to convince others not to trust bitcoin.

There is no clear answer as to exactly how many bitcoins Satoshi has mined.  Any number you've heard is nothing more than an educated guess.  The most likely estimates I've seen are somewhere around 1 million.  Even if he actually has control over 1 million bitcoins, that's only 7.1% of the bitcoins that have been mined so far (and only 4.8% of all the bitcoins that will ever be mined).  In order to have 21% "instamine", he'd have to have control over nearly 4.5 million bitcoins.  I haven't seen any analysis that would lead to such a ridiculous claim.

Yeah, there's no such thing as an "insta-mine". Every bitcoin was minted with an algorithm, that's what "proof of work" is all about. I think people get really riled up that Satoshi could "make magic money out of thin air" but they don't realize it's their own greed doing the talking for them, that Satoshi didn't sprinkle-dust some money for them, too.
This is wrong. You need to look up what "instamine" means, but in any case this is not what happened. One can't blame Satoshi because you didn't find his work in time and even if you did you didn't start mining.
If we were to delete his coins that would look bad because it would show that the developers could effectively make someone go from rich to broke.
Satoshi's coins shouldn't be touched and this discussion should be ended forever.
Activity: 210
April 22, 2015, 05:48:02 PM
- snip -

Activity: 254
Merit: 1258
April 22, 2015, 05:41:16 PM

I would want to give them to Mark Zuckerberg and have him distribute them on facebook.

Oh yes, lets take the million bitcoins that Satoshi hasn't touched and trust them with Zuckerberg because he has so much influence to Bitcoin and been a part of the community for him to hand out to grandmothers and people who don't know how to use cable Bitcoin.

/s
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 4658
April 22, 2015, 05:44:37 PM
- snip -

legendary
Activity: 868
Merit: 1004
April 22, 2015, 05:37:44 PM

I would want to give them to Mark Zuckerberg and have him distribute them on facebook.

No, we can't "delete" the coins, how are you supossed to do that? plus that would fuck up the history of the blockchain. And why would you want togive them to Zuckerberg? he would probably dump them for USD lol.
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
April 22, 2015, 05:32:23 PM
I thought "Satoshi's coins" were unspendable even if he A) was still alive B) had the original wallet.

Only the 50 BTC from the genesis block are unspendable. Considering that Satoshi mined several blocks there should be plenty more available.
there where 70+ blocks mined before Hal mined any (from my knowledge) plus there are plenty more blocks after that which are thought to be his aswell (I think)
Pages:
Jump to: