Pages:
Author

Topic: Sia - Siafund Redemption Deadline: June 1st, 2015 - page 3. (Read 68743 times)

Activity: 43
Merit: 30
I use the Windows Sia Generator. I did the address okay. But "siag keyinfomyKeyFile.siakey" for me doesn't print the info.
It says

Error: unknown command "keyinfomyKeyFile.siakey"
Run 'siag help' for usage.

try `siag keyinfo myKeyFile.siakey`, you need a space between 'keyinfo' and the keyfile.

Now I get this is response "open myKeyFile.siakey: The system cannot find the file specified."
I am using the one for Windows and have tried it after creating a multi sig and a regular address.
Activity: 543
Merit: 501
I received a few encrypted messages. I was able to decrypt some of them, but not all of them. I've sent messages in both cases to tell you that either things worked or that they didn't.

Please check your messages, and if I was unable to decrypt the message you sent me please try again with another message. Make sure that your software is up to date and that you type in your password correctly when sending the message.

If it keeps failing we'll have to figure something else out. Feel free to pm me.
I use the Windows Sia Generator. I did the address okay. But "siag keyinfomyKeyFile.siakey" for me doesn't print the info.
It says

try `siag keyinfo myKeyFile.siakey`, you need a space between 'keyinfo' and the keyfile.
Activity: 43
Merit: 30
It says

I am having a little bit of trouble understanding the status of this project at this point.

Would it be possible to get a summary of where you are at or possibly update the OP to reflect whatever is currently happening?

I'd like to get involved but I am finding it difficult to follow this thread.

I will try to provide a more detailed answer soon.

In brief:

Lots has changed since this thread's creation. The original design for Sia was fundamentally broken in several severe ways and many things had to be reconstructed. Original estimates had Sia being released something like June or August of 2014. As Sia is not released and it's almost a year later, those estimates were clearly mistaken.

Today we have a beta that (sorta) works, and a blockchain that's (sorta) tested. All of the features have been nailed down and finalized, and 95% of them have been implemented. All that remains is to remove the (sorta), which I expect will take about 6 weeks. We're planning on releasing another version of the beta in about 2 weeks that has a bunch of bugfixes. I'd still say that it works (sorta) well, there are a handful of problems that remain. We know how to fix most/all of them, we just need to put in the hours.

At release, you'll be able to mine for coins, rent out your hard drive, and upload files to the network. Files will be encrypted client-side. You will be able to share files using a '.sia', which is the decentralized version of a '.torrent'. It tells your program how to download a larger file from the Sia network.

For developers: there will be a documented API on how to use Sia. It's entirely possible to build separate applications such as a 'decentralized YouTube' on top of Sia. At release, we will have very little information on how to build applications that use Sia, but the API should help. We do intend to focus more on developers once the currency has launched.
legendary
Activity: 1131
Merit: 1007
I am having a little bit of trouble understanding the status of this project at this point.

Would it be possible to get a summary of where you are at or possibly update the OP to reflect whatever is currently happening?

I'd like to get involved but I am finding it difficult to follow this thread.

How will siafunds be traded after redemption?

They'll be locked down until the currency launches. After the currency launches you'll have to do otc and in-thread trading until an exchange pops up. If you strike a deal with someone to trade early, pm me and we can work something out. It's possible but a pain, and probably better to wait until the currency launches.

We're looking into the legal requirements for running an exchange. It's not looking good, but there's a small chance that we'll be able to run a btc<->siax exchange. There's a much better chance that we'll be able to do low risk escrow. There's a 0% chance of us running a USD<->siax exchange.

The escrow part is actually pretty cool. You can do trading between yourself and someone you've never met in just a few seconds, and the most you ever have to trust an escrow with is a few cents. If the escrow runs away with your money, they'll get a few cents but but the rest of your multi-million dollar transaction is unavailable to them. Then you just find a new escrow until someone doesn't steal your few cents. From what I understand, the legal requirements for being escrow are much lower than the legal requirements for being an exchange. It's especially nice because we don't ever hold more than a few pennies for a few seconds and there's no blockchain bloat.
Activity: 767
Merit: 500
Never back down !!!

How will siafunds be traded after redemption?
Activity: 316
Merit: 250
Simcoin Puny Humans Communicator
The time has come for people to start redeeming their sianotes.

You guys have been working tirelessly. I am glad I have stuck with it as a sianote owner.

Its a long road but soon we can finally begin and see where in the decentralized storage world this takes us.

Just wanted to say I appreciate the work so far. As long as you stay ambitious we have

a great chance at success.
The time has come for people to start redeeming their sianotes. Information can be found at siacoin.com/sianotes.html. You will need to download a program to generate a Sia address. (Multisig is supported). Then you need to send us your Sianotes along with a message containing the address you would like your siafunds sent to. We're going to be accepting messages for at least 6 weeks.

We hope to officially launch the currency on June 1st. Real mining will start, and siafunds will be active and earning money from storage contracts. Anybody who redeems their sianotes before the currency launch will receive their siafunds in the genesis block.

We're about 2 weeks away from releasing the final beta version (v0.3.1). When that is out, we'll make a new announcement thread and put forth substantial marketing effort.
Activity: 763
The IPFS looks pretty interesting. Maybe Sia can utilize this technology in some level -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CMxDNuuAiQ

Edit - and an interested research paper by V Buterin on blockchian scalability - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/vbuterin/scalability_paper/master/scalability.pdf
so officially each sianote still entitles the holder to 0.00039% of the total host incomes right?

Yes. But not on the beta network, which we're currently on the beta network.

===

As an additional announcement, the new UI releases seem to work on linux and mac most of the time, but not at all on Windows. I'm sorry for being sloppy, we'll try to have an update in the next week.
Activity: 173
Merit: 100
so officially each sianote still entitles the holder to 0.00039% of the total host incomes right?
Okay, fixed. UI is also ready, the downloads are at siacoin.com.
made the initial difficulty too high, we can't mine any blocks. I miscalculated, sorry. We'll have replacement binaries up shortly.
https://github.com/NebulousLabs/Sia/releases/tag/v0.3.0

The UI isn't done yet, but if you don't mind getting your hands dirty, you can build it yourself: https://github.com/NebulousLabs/Sia-UI

You'll want to download Sia for your OS from the first link, and then run the "siad" program. After that you can run the UI and everything should work alright. We still don't have an installer. We'll hopefully have a download link for the UI by the end of the week.

====

Most of the changes have been to make everything work better. We added a few smaller features, but mostly we improved testing and made things run better. Sia now recognizes 0-confirmation transactions, which should speed up things like uploading significantly. Small files should upload in a minute or two, and download in a few seconds. Large files will probably take a lot longer. Siacoins are still betacoins, which means all balances will be reset when we launch the currency (so don't be sad if you lose them).

Until you are used to using Sia, some things might be confusing. Please feel free to ask questions and point out the confusing parts.

Given the speed that things have been moving, I'm going to say May 15th-ish for the next release. We're planning on launching the currency for the next release (including siafunds), so there will be a lot of buzz and forewarning.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004
Great, looking forward to testing next version.
We're hoping to have the next release out before March 9th.

We missed this by a few days. But I'm really happy with how it's coming along. It's become a lot easier to use.

New expected date is the 15th. It's mostly done, but I'm not sure how long it's going to take us to get executables. I think by the end of the day today we can have something ready if you're willing to follow some instructions to build it yourself.

Looks like it is progressing quite well. Shoot me PM and let figure out how we can work together.

Totally will. We're not quite ready for a lot of attention but we should be soon.
Activity: 556
Sorry, the message boards have been slow so I haven't been checking often. Easiest way to reach me is email (it's on the github page).

We're hoping to have the next release out before March 9th. And we're hoping to launch the currency on April 10th. That's not a hard date, but it's the target we're aiming at. It won't be perfect at launch but the coins you earn from mining and hosting files (after launch) will be permanent.

Some time around launch we'll also hand out the siafunds, which I'm sure a lot of you are eager to claim. They'll start accumulating coins immediately.

*fingers crossed*

no problem therefore i'm asking and it sounds like good news, will test the new release if it is available.

legendary
Activity: 1094
Merit: 1006
Will you plan some kind of marketing campaign?

I am not sure the best way to approach marketing. Making a post on HN and the various altcoin subreddits seems like a good place to start. I'm somewhat worried about getting too much attention too fast, though at this point I think we're ready for 100+ machines on the network. If we get more attention than that, we're in a good place anyway. I do plan on PMing and emailing everyone who has expressed interest over the past 9 months. It'd also be interesting to let the storj community know that we've appeared as a ready-to-go competitor, but I wouldn't want to be rude about it.

I'm not sure what else we would want to be doing.
Looks like it is progressing quite well. Shoot me PM and let figure out how we can work together.
Pages:
Jump to: