Pages:
Author

Topic: Sia - Siafund Redemption Deadline: June 1st, 2015 - page 5. (Read 68743 times)

Activity: 543
Merit: 501

The current target date for the open beta is Jan 16th. We've actually open sourced the new set of code already, you can see it on github.

Any update on this ?

Yes. Jan 17th

Tongue

In all seriousness we're pretty close to ready. We've got a nice interface this time too, thanks to our new intern Seve. We've committed to not sleeping until we're ready to go but midnight seems a bit optimistic.
Activity: 313
Merit: 250
How is the testnet working, can you give us a little update of progress,
can we expect the start of open beta for the beginnning of the new year?

The current target date for the open beta is Jan 16th. We've actually open sourced the new set of code already, you can see it on github.

Any update on this ?
Activity: 221
Merit: 100
It seems that there is a progress on quorum based crypto mechanism - https://nxtforum.org/news-and-announcements/(ann)-jinn/msg147031/#msg147031

Maybe you guys are interested in it.
legendary
Activity: 1094
Merit: 1006
Anyone want to sell OTC?
Activity: 437

Good news will try to participate in the open beta.
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
Anywhere I can buy Sianotes OTC?

Nxt AE
legendary
Activity: 1094
Merit: 1006
Anywhere I can buy Sianotes OTC?
legendary
Activity: 1131
Merit: 1007
very interesting.  I will try to participate in your beta if I have an opportunity.

Activity: 437

smaragda was asking about VPN hosting.

Right now, and for the near future, you're going to need port forwarding to be a host, and really you should have port forwarding if you're going to be a miner (otherwise you'll be mining at somewhere around a 20% reduced effectiveness).

But we've figured out a way to make port forwarding unneeded. It's a bit complicated and more than we can do for the immediate future - there are other things we want working first, but eventually we'll be able to have mining and hosting while behind VPNs. The cost to our current solution though is that it's easier for you to be censored (as a host, but not really as a miner. Worst case you'll reduce back to 20% reduced effectiveness).

Maybe as we keep thinking about it and reading about it we'll get better solutions. And again, the stuff we've got right now isn't going to be ready in the next few months, just wanted to let you know that there's at least 1 existing solution for people to host without using port forwarding.
sia is now on coinmarketcap.com    Shocked Cheesy

Now that the Sia network is up and running even though it's a closed beta you could narrow down some specs for future Sia mining rigs.
There should be a whole section about sia storage rigs.

I think our POW algorithm is going to be blake2, but I wouldn't buy any asics/gpus yet. As for storage rigs, we should probably create a forum that we open alongside the open beta. I've seen on the storj irc that you can get large rigs for around $46/TB, but I think that those rigs are actually designed to be much higher tolerance than you need on Sia. You might be able to push the price closer to $35 or $40 per TB.

Now that the Sia network is up and running even though it's a closed beta you could narrow down some specs for future Sia mining rigs.
There should be a whole section about sia storage rigs.
Testnet is live. There's a web UI, which is much nicer than a command line although it's still pretty bare and you can't do a whole lot. But you can:

+ send money
+ become a host
+ upload & download files
+ mine

Cheesy

If you would like to join the minimal-and-buggy testnet, send me a pm.

Over the next 2-4 weeks we'll be adding a few features to the UI, but mostly increasing our testing and security.
We were trying to test the file stuff on the cli and it wasn't working so well - a cli just isn't expressive enough and it's a pain to try and the more complicated actions.

So, we're in the middle of building a web frontend. It uses bootstrap and talks to the main program through golang's http server. It's actually pretty cool and has been mostly painless to create. Javascript is a bit of a nightmare to work with but has the huge advantage of running on pretty much everything.
Sia IRC Channel: #siacoin on freenode. The irc channel is not very populated right now, if you've got questions or just want to hang, it's best to idle in the channel for a while.

Just finished writing the code for the project. We'll be testing it tomorrow to get out any major and obvious kinks, and then we'll start distributing the binaries.
We're close to being able to get closed-beta users online. We need to know how you'd like to communicate. I was thinking we could have an irc channel or a mailing list, or you could just pm me when there are problems. As is the spirit of closed-betas, there are probably going to be a fair number of problems. Anyone is welcome to participate but we're only giving the binaries to people who ask for them (as opposed to letting anyone download them). This is because we're pretty sure there will be frustrating bugs at first.

The code is largely untested, hot of the presses. You can mine, send money to others, there's a simple friends list, you can save your private keys, you can upload and download files on the network, you can contribute storage in return for compensation. Everyone will be on the same global network.

There's no encryption, there's no erasure coding. So it's a pretty inefficient system but all of the major components should be finished by the end of tonight, tomorrow at the latest. Then we'll spend a day or two compiling for Windows and making guides on how to use our system. And then it'll be ready to be shared with anyone willing to put up with mostly-untested software.

Long range: we've hired a guy to work for us this winter to create a javascript front end. We're not exactly sure what shape that's going to take, but the javascript will just be the GUI. If you've used software like i2p, it'll probably be a lot like that. (you run a server component in the background, and then you go to a specific url to interface with it). At the moment we have no plans to make a client in something like qt, but that may change based on feedback. Javascript is nice because it's automatically cross-platform, and with proper configuration you can run Sia on a headless system (like a NAS) but still connect to it from your main computer or phone.

We'll probably shift to open beta by Jan 1st, which means we'll put the binaries out for anyone to download and try, and it'll also mean that things are more thoroughly tested and that there aren't so many bugs. Hopefully by Feb 1st there will be a pretty front-end that you can use as a wallet and file manager.
Activity: 316
Simcoin Puny Humans Communicator
Well that was fun. Sia guys made a mistake but for honest reasons. Anybody calling them greedy can't read people well. There is a difference between trying to pull a fast one and
doing what they thought was best for Sia to succeed. Sometimes it takes others to make you see that what you did is more unfair than you thought. Thanks to sianote holders' recent comments this happened. Now that we all love each other again, lets make sure the world wants to use a decentralized storage solution and that Sia can hire the people it needs to gain and hold the lead.
Pages:
Jump to: