Pages:
Author

Topic: So, you want to get sued by a scammer? - page 3. (Read 1153 times)

legendary
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1786
In order to dump coins one must have coins
January 25, 2021, 04:10:57 AM
Ha just saw this

https://www.fidelitydigitalassets.com/blog/download/bitcoin-whitepaper.pdf

That's a nice 1 ton gorilla in our corner, i can imagine ontier's lawyers having a heart attack when seeing this

Edit: Oh you claim to have $5 billion, that's cute, see this guerilla right there it actually has much much more  Grin
legendary
January 25, 2021, 03:57:00 AM
If i was asked to say the most anti Satoshi thing i could think of i'd be hard pressed to think of something better that this
...I will burn Cryptocurrency to non existence and have the US government collect the ashes...

In any case, expecting mass carpet lawsuits against every dev next, hope they're ready and coordination is being prepped. Short term contingency plans for anonymous contributions behind tor, etc would also be nice. Bastards can easily finance it by Ayre shorting the market by front running  the "announcement" too.

for sure this guy have serious mental problems. I cant explain why someone whiling to burn his money so easy. There is not a single court in this world that can win a case like this.
Maybe he gambling that ppl will step down after the threats and the cases will never get to the court but if i was a dev and get a threat like this i will never have step down.
This guy not only will loose every trial but he had in the end to pay and the trial fees.

The point of these lawsuits is not to win but cause as much financial and personal losses as possible. Easy to say that you'd never step down when you're behind a keyboard, but when you're served, fighting it means you're guaranteed huge financial and personal losses which can drag out for years (look at Kleiman), and your best case outcome is you're back to where you were before the lawsuit started. Devs should be left to code and not litigate. Since foundation is no more, hoping something is being organized to coordinate/fund raise once every contribute to git is served, at this point i'd be disappointed in faketoshi if this DIDN'T happen.
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1142
Ιntergalactic Conciliator
January 24, 2021, 09:59:29 PM
If i was asked to say the most anti Satoshi thing i could think of i'd be hard pressed to think of something better that this
...I will burn Cryptocurrency to non existence and have the US government collect the ashes...

In any case, expecting mass carpet lawsuits against every dev next, hope they're ready and coordination is being prepped. Short term contingency plans for anonymous contributions behind tor, etc would also be nice. Bastards can easily finance it by Ayre shorting the market by front running  the "announcement" too.

for sure this guy have serious mental problems. I cant explain why someone whiling to burn his money so easy. There is not a single court in this world that can win a case like this.
Maybe he gambling that ppl will step down after the threats and the cases will never get to the court but if i was a dev and get a threat like this i will never have step down.
This guy not only will loose every trial but he had in the end to pay and the trial fees.
Activity: 2128
Merit: 524
January 24, 2021, 04:03:51 PM
Poor delusional Craig thinks he has 5 billion dollars Cheesy If he had that much he'd be able to finance a 51% attack or mine bitcoin himself.  He'd be able to set up his own exchange for shitcoins, but what coins would he include there if he'd exclude Bitcoin and his sister coin (BCH)? Cheesy

Craig is debating the destruction of Bitcoin and in the meantime his coin gradually loses value.
Price in 2020 according to CMC:
February $360
March $246
April $213
May $206
June $197

And so on...

With some brief jumps along the way, in October it was worth only $180 and now is at 173.
Anybody can guess how many millions in USD is Craig losing every month if he continues to hold BSV, because I'm pretty sure he doesn't have any real bitcoins Grin
legendary
January 24, 2021, 02:39:18 PM

legendary
Activity: 1819
Merit: 5547
Neighborhood Shenanigans Dispenser
January 23, 2021, 05:23:41 PM
Selling literally self-hosted copies here:
http://teespring.com/white-paper

No white text on black shirt option.

This is a tremendous oversight, not to mention a terrible crime against basic fashion-sense.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1924
฿ear ride on the rainbow slide
January 23, 2021, 02:01:41 AM
A free opinion piece is never the same as a detailed legal opinion.

I've since asked a business associate that specializes in copyright law to have a look at the different opinions.

Wow no, that analysis is just top to bottom full of errors.

"Papers by themselves aren’t licensed".  Not true.  Post Berne convention, any copyrightable work is copyrighted by default, and you cannot reproduce it without a license of some kind. (excepting some special cases like works of the US Federal government)  Papers often do specify licensing (unless they're all-rights-reserved: in which case you're just getting no license), specifying licensing is a universal requirement in academic publication (though sometimes you're not given a choice, you're just forced to assign copyright to the publisher or likewise).

"Open source documentation is also not copyrighted if it is given away in an open source license."  All licensed open source works are copyrighted.  The license permits you to do all sorts of stuff (if its an open source license), but it's still copyrighted and some rights are usually reserved (for example, even the most permissive licenses don't generally allow you to falsify attribution or strip licensing info).

"If the author or other owner claims ownership and registers it or uses (c), date and the copyright holder’s name at publication then it’s usually considered copyrighted."  post berne convention no copyright notice or registration is required for a work to be copyrighted. It's considered a polite practice, but is legally unimportant now.

In the US you need to register to sue in court, but that doesn't need to be done proactively in advance.

"the gift can’t be taken back and claimed as a copyright." The work is still copyrighted, so this sentence is just incoherent.  The licenses isn't revocable.

"If a copyright holder allows publication of a work by other sources and does not challenge this, the holder weakens its claim.", unlike trademark there is no duty to enforce in copyright.  Though there may be equitable defences in some situations (see mention in the letter) they are generally fairly narrow, and don't implicitly create a duty to enforce.

Providing actually false information doesn't help anyone, even if it's falsehoods used to cheer along a good cause.

Edit: After writing this, I found out that my partner, who is an attorney on the board of the Free Software foundation and is one of the authors of the CC-4.0 licenses independantly attempted to correct many of these and other errors earlier today and was just blown off.

Activity: 756
Merit: 112
January 22, 2021, 10:52:23 PM
What? HAHA! so he was trying to control the distribution of the white paper? So what, he can release it on Amazon Kindle? He would do this, all of this, for money?

I'm not that familiar with him, is he somehow related to Craig's List?
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1142
Ιntergalactic Conciliator
January 22, 2021, 10:47:46 PM
Craig Wright transform to a patent troll.
legendary
January 22, 2021, 08:05:48 PM
*thanks g for the warning and thanks also for this great topic...
taking care of that scammer would only be a drain on energy. he will not recover from his ambition to become the richest man in the world with the Bitcoin whitepaper in under his bed. C.W is a jerk as well as bsv.

Questions is whether this would be setting a precedent, and would be harder to challenge later on. Clearly the goal here is not to hide the whitepaper but rather spook investors and once again remind of yourself as an ongoing risk to be considered.
Activity: 2044
Merit: 329
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
January 22, 2021, 07:13:42 PM
*thanks g for the warning and thanks also for this great topic...
taking care of that scammer would only be a drain on energy. he will not recover from his ambition to become the richest man in the world with the Bitcoin whitepaper in under his bed. C.W is a jerk as well as bsv.
Activity: 74
Merit: 10
January 22, 2021, 01:32:59 PM
Well, I hope I get a letter back so I can hang it on my wall.

Selling literally self-hosted copies here:
http://teespring.com/white-paper
copper member
Activity: 238
Merit: 1
Buy Bitcoin in Dubai | Buy Bitcoin in Istanbul
January 22, 2021, 07:50:25 AM
The man has appeared again and claims the copyright of #Bitcoin #whitepaper. Unbelievable.
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1720
https://youtu.be/DsAVx0u9Cw4 ... Dr. WHO < KLF
January 22, 2021, 07:32:05 AM
I've updated this with a new most excellent section that was substantially contributed by Arthur Van Pelt using supporting documentation provided by xtraelv.

h/t xtraelv, @MyLegacyKit (twitter), nutildah (for the forum topic https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/scam-bitcoin-sv-bsv-fake-team-member-and-plagiarized-white-paper-5149062 ) and to all who continually refute and debunk CSW's claim to be satoshi, as he has not provided any valid cryptographically assured proof, to date, whatsoever, whilst remaining abhorrent towards original Bitcoin (BTC), the developers and the entire cryptocurrency community.

We were ready for this. Truth and justice must prevail.

I'm guessing around a 0.00000001% chance that Craig Wright will actually waltz off with any Bitcoin related Intellectual Property in this case.

Craig Wright is not satoshi and he had nothing whatsoever to do with the creation of Bitcoin.

Dave Kleiman is not satoshi either and he had nothing to do with the creation of Bitcoin.

One of Dave's hard drives contained a text note which stated "Is this a Satoshi address ..." (in a recent court doc.) ... he was a digital forensic investigator ...

Which is why I recall this ...

- https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.42180805

Craig Wright attempting to obtain Bitcoin related Intellectual Property through this court case (now a total farce) is quite clearly the 'end game' to justify his means. He has tried to 'hijack' the Bitcoin project, although he has only provided proven fabrications and circumstantial evidence to date, and therefore he will fail.

The only winners in this case are already the lawyers, which is usually the case!

The patents that both Craig and nChain 'hold' are completely worthless i.e. Prior Art ...

- https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.53820493

Highlights ...

"Worthless and unenforceable patents !?

- https://opensource.stackexchange.com/questions/5960/can-i-patent-open-source-project

"You can not patent code. You can only patent an invention which is implemented in your code. An invention is a new and unique way of doing something..."

"... Most of all, it must be something nobody did before. If anyone used the same technique which you describe in your patent, that's called prior art and invalidates your patent..."

- https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.52932888

Quote: "The bitcoin whitepaper was first distributed by Satoshi Nakamoto on the Cypherpunks mailing list. The mailing list has a Cypherpunks anti-License. http://cypherspace.org/CPL/ ... "

"Background ...

The CPL is written from a mindset which derides the very concept of Intellectual Property restrictions as being incompatible with a free society ..."

"... Cryptographically assured anonymity and anonymous use of Internet resources mean that denizens of cypherspace can ignore copyright, licenses attempting to control use and distribution of works, and patents on ideas..."

"... It is not possible to enforce IP laws by calls to government legal systems when the flaunter is strongly anonymous. ..."

"CSW's and nChain's patents are likely Prior Art i.e. worthless and unenforceable without said cryptographically assured proof."

Returning to the OP ...

- https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/craig-steven-wright-is-a-liar-and-a-fraud-tulip-trust-addresses-signed-message-5250960

CSW has provided zero cryptographically assured proof, to date, whilst others have cryptographically proven him to be a liar and a fraud.

satoshi, in many respects, was Hal Finney.

Nakamoto, the originator, was/is someone else entirely ... N+1

- https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/whois-satoshi-known-satoshi-ip-addresses-5155191

For Whom The Bell Tolls ...
- https://youtu.be/eeqGuaAl6Ic

Good work gmaxwell! (and of course to the the real Satoshi Nakamoto for being so prescient in this regard!)
Activity: 243
Merit: 232
Digital scarcity is a one-time discovery.
January 22, 2021, 07:19:17 AM
Does the CPL-license also apply to the Cryptography mailing list, since that is where Satoshi spread the whitepaper?
Activity: 787
Merit: 501
January 22, 2021, 07:05:19 AM
Great thread Greg!

Why would the previously confirmed plagiarist decide to do this now? January 2021. Other than simply trying to attract more attention and stay “relevant“.
staff
Activity: 4172
Merit: 8419
January 22, 2021, 05:14:07 AM
Wow no, that analysis is just top to bottom full of errors.

"Papers by themselves aren’t licensed".  Not true.  Post Berne convention, any copyrightable work is copyrighted by default, and you cannot reproduce it without a license of some kind. (excepting some special cases like works of the US Federal government)  Papers often do specify licensing (unless they're all-rights-reserved: in which case you're just getting no license), specifying licensing is a universal requirement in academic publication (though sometimes you're not given a choice, you're just forced to assign copyright to the publisher or likewise).

"Open source documentation is also not copyrighted if it is given away in an open source license."  All licensed open source works are copyrighted.  The license permits you to do all sorts of stuff (if its an open source license), but it's still copyrighted and some rights are usually reserved (for example, even the most permissive licenses don't generally allow you to falsify attribution or strip licensing info).

"If the author or other owner claims ownership and registers it or uses (c), date and the copyright holder’s name at publication then it’s usually considered copyrighted."  post berne convention no copyright notice or registration is required for a work to be copyrighted. It's considered a polite practice, but is legally unimportant now.

In the US you need to register to sue in court, but that doesn't need to be done proactively in advance.

"the gift can’t be taken back and claimed as a copyright." The work is still copyrighted, so this sentence is just incoherent.  The licenses isn't revocable.

"If a copyright holder allows publication of a work by other sources and does not challenge this, the holder weakens its claim.", unlike trademark there is no duty to enforce in copyright.  Though there may be equitable defences in some situations (see mention in the letter) they are generally fairly narrow, and don't implicitly create a duty to enforce.

Providing actually false information doesn't help anyone, even if it's falsehoods used to cheer along a good cause.

Edit: After writing this, I found out that my partner, who is an attorney on the board of the Free Software foundation and is one of the authors of the CC-4.0 licenses independantly attempted to correct many of these and other errors earlier today and was just blown off.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1924
฿ear ride on the rainbow slide
January 22, 2021, 04:52:33 AM
Bruce Fenton also wrote a great analysis. http://brucefenton.com/blog/copyright-and-the-bitcoin-white-paper/
legendary
January 22, 2021, 04:06:09 AM
I'm surprised to see that one man (even backed by a billionaire) is able to terrorize everyone. I'm guessing this is not challenged in court due to limited financial resources? Is crowdfunding an option?
staff
Activity: 4172
Merit: 8419
January 22, 2021, 03:25:37 AM
I've updated this with a new most excellent section that was substantially contributed by Arthur Van Pelt using supporting documentation provided by xtraelv.
Pages:
Jump to: