Pages:
Author

Topic: Sold 0.008 btc for over 11,000 USD at mtgox [Updated] - page 2. (Read 10824 times)

Activity: 463
Merit: 252

so to understand this correctly.

mt. gox performs a major upgrade live, and rather than bringing the exchange down for maintenance relies simply on mysql table locks to prevent the processing of live activity.

even though this was a major update, and the date was known for weeks, the exchange didn't put even the basic protection of halting dwolla withdrawals for a few hours so that if anything went haywire (which it did, of course), all of the funds held by the exchange would still be under the control of the exchange?

does this accurately describe the situation?

yes
legendary
Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

so to understand this correctly.

mt. gox performs a major upgrade live, and rather than bringing the exchange down for maintenance relies simply on mysql table locks to prevent the processing of live activity.

even though this was a major update, and the date was known for weeks, the exchange didn't put even the basic protection of halting dwolla withdrawals for a few hours so that if anything went haywire (which it did, of course), all of the funds held by the exchange would still be under the control of the exchange?

does this accurately describe the situation?
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
Reminds me of the time my bank credited my account with $150,000. If MTGox is anything like my bank, they will charge your for every penny withdrawn.
legendary
Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001
Nice price!
I completely fail to see why anyone is still using Gox when there are other exchanges that seem to do a much better job at less cost for the customers..
Activity: 40
Merit: 0
So if someone pays for a BigMac with a 100 bill without the person nor the cashier noticing McDonald's must hold the extra change waiting to return it whenever the person presents themself?

I think they would give it back up until the register was counted down. After that your SOL.
Activity: 210
Lets be realistic here.
McDonalds would fire the checker for screwing up, and then demand concrete proof from the customer that the customer doesn't have, and then keep the change.

If you-an-individual screwed up like that bank did you wouldn't find the police or the DA very useful at all.

Gox will get Gox's money back, because Gox is bigger than you.
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)
What if they had an automated vending machine like cashier and the person didn't noticed a hundred bill fell into the slot folded in such a way that it skipped the bill reader?
Activity: 75
Merit: 10
So if someone pays for a BigMac with a 100 bill without the person nor the cashier noticing McDonald's must hold the extra change waiting to return it whenever the person presents themself?

I'm sure McDonald's would give the person their change if the cashier made a mistake.
Activity: 28
Merit: 0

I know this is how it worked when I was in retail.
Activity: 102
I will wait mtgox to post there announcement about the glitch.
Activity: 168
Brad Willman, SSCP, LTCP, MCTS,SCE,BCE
i believe that legally he should be able to keep the money

he sold bitcoins and got the money

you cant "legally" sell on a glitch.
Had an individual been a fool and accidently bought for that much.. he might have a case but not on a glitch, the money isnt his and he can be prosecuted.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 100% Correct. Glitches don't mean you can get rich legally. I work for a large financial institution and recently one of our ATM's had a 20 dollar bill cassette in the 5's slot and 5's in the 20. The customer hit the machine for an hour and took out THOUSANDS. Police were sent to his house, DA's office threatened prosecution and money was instantly returned. I think the same would apply here.
Wow!!! If only you had a whole bitcoin to sell at that moment instead of just 8 millies 0.0

Why did your balance go negative though?
Activity: 784
I have never got it, are you guys using Dwolla for the fear of disclosing your bank details to Mt.Gox? I am in UK and Gox would process my bank wire transfer(they have a domestic bank account) within 1-2 days.

I don't think there's a bank transfer option on MtGox, and SEPA transfers are 2% fees. Depending on what you transfer, 25c might be less than 2%.

Hmmm.....GBP deposits are free in UK.
Activity: 84
As far as I can tell no one has anything to be concerned about with dwolla and mtgox unless they go do some silly shit like what OP is stating having done.  Lips sealed
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
moOo
i believe that legally he should be able to keep the money

he sold bitcoins and got the money

you cant "legally" sell on a glitch.
Had an individual been a fool and accidently bought for that much.. he might have a case but not on a glitch, the money isnt his and he can be prosecuted.
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
I have never got it, are you guys using Dwolla for the fear of disclosing your bank details to Mt.Gox? I am in UK and Gox would process my bank wire transfer(they have a domestic bank account) within 1-2 days.

I don't think there's a bank transfer option on MtGox, and SEPA transfers are 2% fees. Depending on what you transfer, 25c might be less than 2%.
Activity: 784
Activity: 70
why dont you setup a transfer from dwolla to your bank and hope it clears tomorrow
Pages:
Jump to: