Pages:
Author

Topic: Some basic advice for newbies in crypto - Please read. - page 2. (Read 498 times)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0
Thanks.
What wallets you recommend?
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 3858
Farewell o_e_l_e_o
Everyone has to start as a newbie, and along the journey, there are always lots of challenges and traps, that can steal your money. After reading this thread: Advice for newbies (on hardware wallets), I have idea to write my thread
in order to share some of my advice, based on my experience, for crypto newbies.

• Having healthy behaviours when using Internet
  • Using bookmarks for your favorite sites
  • Narrowing down sites that you have plan to visit
  • Backing up your wallet regularly, and storing your private keys/ seeds / paraphrases careful and safely
  • Don't tell / give anyone private keys/ seeds/ paraphrases
  • Trying to spend a litle money to use hardware wallets
  • Staying away from downloading and installing wallets from newborn projects
  • Staying away from cloud mining (most of them are scam)

[1] Having healthy behaviours when using Internet
The healthier behaviours on Internet space you have, the safer your devices, your identities, and your funds are.
You can spend funds to buy whatever antivirus or Internet security softwares for your devices, but their database have to upgrade regularly to keep your devices safely. Sometimes, database of software providers are not relevantly updated to newest harmful threats and your devices will be under risks of attacks if you have unhealthy habits. Basically, such softwares are unable to completely to secure your devices for sure.

[2] Using bookmarks for your favorite sites
This one will save your time and help you safer a litle bit from phishing sites. Because you don't have to type in website addresses everytime you want to visit them. You don't have to search those websites when you don't remember their sites' URLs.

[3] Narrowing down sites that you have plan to visit
I meant, you should not over use different sites that give you nearly the same thing. Personally, coinmarketcap.com is my favorite site, and I don't have intention to use other sites, like coingecko, and so on. It is obviously a personal favorite, but the more sites you visit, the higher risks you can fall into phishing sites.

[4] Backing up your wallet regularly, and storing your private keys/ seeds / paraphrases careful and safely
I have to do it, definitely. In worst cases, you can recover wallets and funds inside.

[5] Don't tell / give anyone private keys/ seeds/ paraphrases
Don't tell untrusted people those very important information because they can steal your funds. Even with trusted people, you should also narrow down list of people you give them such important details. Personally, I think I will tell it with my wife, in worst case when I pass away, she can recover my funds and use it to grow my children.

[6] Trying to spend a litle money to use hardware wallets
Please read more in recommend threads.

[7] Staying away from downloading and installing wallets from newborn projects
You can apply tips below (in recommend threads) to check before downloading and installing wallets. However, basically if you are newbies and don't have enough knowledge and skills to check potential threats, you should not download and install unknow wallets.

Recommended threads:
Advice for newbies (on hardware wallets)
[General] Bitcoin Wallets - Which, what, why?
[Guide] Hardware wallets - which one is a good choice?
[Guide] Virustotal scan guideline to detect viruses, trojans, malwares, worms
[GUIDES] on Bitcointalk. Index thread (until there is a dedicated subforum?)
Pages:
Jump to: