Pages:
Author

Topic: Spain confiscates 0.03% of all bank deposits. - page 5. (Read 5483 times)

legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040
A Great Time to Start Something!
Cyprus took 47.5% on all deposits above 100k €

It may be small but its just the start, wait and watch

It really went that high in Cyprus? ...wow!
I remember lower numbers at first, and then they dramatically raised the "take".
Activity: 19
Merit: 0
Lets see this for what it actually is. Theft. Pure and simple.

The sole purpose of a bank (in my mind at least) is to provide security for your deposit. I don't care if it is 0.03%, 10% or .00001% the fact that they are retrospectively taxing is theft. Don't expect citizens to play by the rules when you change them 6 months down the road.
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1010
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
they're so knee-deep in shit that there's not really much else they can do.

It's really time that people see the benefit of Bitcoin.

it's not like bitcoin is the only other alternative option though.
What are alternatives besides Bitcoin?
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
Price stability, merchant adoption and core development funding should be at the top of our priority list.
How do you propose to make price stability a priority? What kinds of actions does that actually involve?

I could be wrong, so bear with me...

If the price doesnt fluctuate by as much as it did in the past 3-4 months, we would be a viable escape route for people getting fleeced by their nation's draconic policies (or in my country's case, uncontrollable inflation).

Encouraging more people to spend their bitcoins for actual goods and services, and not just speculative trading, would be one of the best ways we could help stabilize the price. That, and merchant acceptance.

Activity: 490
Merit: 500
Cyprus took 47.5% on all deposits above 100k €

It may be small but its just the start, wait and watch
Activity: 907
Merit: 1003
Wow, amazing. Taking money just for holding it in the bank. It's punishment!
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1013
Price stability, merchant adoption and core development funding should be at the top of our priority list.
How do you propose to make price stability a priority? What kinds of actions does that actually involve?
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
0.03% is such a small amount for all the bad publicity that comes
That is just the foot in the door.

Give them an inch, they'll choke you for the mile.

This leaves us with the responsibility of making Bitcoin a good place to move their assets to once the banks come down on their necks like a pack of hungry wolves. Price stability, merchant adoption and core development funding should be at the top of our priority list.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
.03% is innocuous, so who knows.. the people there might be just fine with paying such a small percentage.
legendary
Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031
0.03% is such a small amount for all the bad publicity that comes. Didn't Cyprus take 10% or more?

True, that's 0.03 cents on the Euro, so in a 1000 euros deposit the tax is 30 cents.

Actually this law is mostly for cutting bank's profits, as banks will also pay this tax, and they loan a lot of money to each other without any interest, now they'll pay at least 0.03% on that.
donator
Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012
0.03% is such a small amount for all the bad publicity that comes
That is just the foot in the door.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040
A Great Time to Start Something!
0.03% is such a small amount for all the bad publicity that comes. Didn't Cyprus take 10% or more?
Activity: 434
they're so knee-deep in shit that there's not really much else they can do.

it's not like bitcoin is the only other alternative option though.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
legendary
Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031
Plus it also limits how much banks can charge businesses for accepting debit and credit card payments.
Activity: 359
Pages:
Jump to: