Author

Topic: Starting a new FPGA mining farm/contract! Cognitive Resurrected on[Havelock] - page 145. (Read 300616 times)

legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
What's a GPU?
Someone just bought out the rest of the offering.

Dividends this week will be a little low as well, because eligius isn't keeping up with payouts properly: http://eligius.st/~artefact2/7/1DfGiAHbW1jV8i4ZRcFpR6CGRkWnmdYdFb
Rest assured next week's dividends will compensate for this.

Motions will be raised soon regarding what to do with these funds before we are allowed to purchase the new boards.
Activity: 109
Merit: 10
I'm suprised the rest of the shares haven't sold, I know shares were diluted by another 1400 but it's twice the hash power.  If everyone was willing to purchase at .5, purchasing at .6 for double the hash with 1400 more diluted shares seems much more attractive.

Everyone must be investing in PPT.
legendary
What's a GPU?
1174 shares to go?

Yup, between your and BeesBros' preorders it got down to that.
Activity: 109
Merit: 10
legendary
What's a GPU?
GPUs aren't an option, because when the reward halves I'd be operating at a loss.

I will raise motions for all the other options.
legendary
Activity: 1162
DiabloMiner author
[...] Investing (I wrote "Incesting" at first - Idunno if that was really unintentional) in other mining companies seems a little cannibalistic and unconfident.

I own nearly 2/5 of Cognitive

Investing the funds back in your CD is a bit incestuous too!  Grin Kluge invests in Cognitive. Cognitive invests in Kluge.

In case anyone misunderstands, I'm just stirring.  Wink A lot of big listed companies have cross holdings. I'm not currently a Cognitive investor, but I think BDK is as good a place as any for funds not immediately required.

Clearly Kluge and Cognitive both should invest in DMC Wink

For what it's worth -- when I look at a mining company to invest in one of the big things is how they use the capital they already have and the capital they have raised. Of course a startup like DMC is different, but if a mining company with existing hashpower issues funds and ends up buying and holding assets of another miner over a long term basis, while this does in fact reduce risk it lowers the return on capital because the miner is paying another miner to mine and that second miner has to be profitable before paying out.

So what I like to see in a miner is that they use the capital they are given to do what they said they would do. Now, if someone has 100 bitcoins left over from buying a single, no one said they have to let the shares sit there. But it's a little alarming to see mining companies buying up shares of each other and then using that income to pay dividends on existing shares. In that case, what about buying back the shares so the existing shares are backed entirely by the GHash of the farm?

Doing that is what I would consider as the natural course of operation for any miner issuing shares for expansion.

Not trying to tell anyone what to do just giving a suggestion.

Well, thats the thing. DMC is different, and I'm just holding the bonds as a way to make money not sit. Buying small scale hardware just isn't worth it, and buying hardware now that 28nm could be here in 6 months isn't worth it either. Paying the premium isn't so bad: small scale purchases plus the wait of shipping plus the cost of residential electricity, I'm going to be in the lower 0.50s of mh/$, and the bonds in the long term are going to be putting me in the upper 0.40s. Its not that big of a difference.
Activity: 465
Merit: 254
4. Pay it as a dividend

100% fair and very simple. Just do this.
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
FPGA Mining LLC
Actually, the first thing I considered was buying back shares with extra capital, but I thought it would be better for the GLBSE economy to reinvest into others. I will raise a few motions soon regarding the extra funds, the one with the best yes/no ratio will be put in to effect.

Are there any other suggestions?

I think I'm fine with four options:
1. Just make it fit by buying more hardware
2. Invest in something like Kluge's deal above until you can make use of the coins
3. Buy back some shares with these funds (might complicate matters)
4. Pay it as a dividend
donator
Activity: 848
Merit: 1005
Actually, the first thing I considered was buying back shares with extra capital, but I thought it would be better for the GLBSE economy to reinvest into others. I will raise a few motions soon regarding the extra funds, the one with the best yes/no ratio will be put in to effect.

I would suggest 1-2 additional GPUs, or collect a little more BTC to buy another FPGA board.
legendary
What's a GPU?

Activity: 222
Merit: 100
Exactly! It's counter-intuitive to invest in another mining operation unless they are doing something vastly different (think what's the differentiation or competitive advantage). You'd be better off investing in the race horse to avoid a conflict of interest. Buying more hardware (or saving for it) or buying back shares might make more sense then. Definitely needs some more discussion.
legendary
Activity: 1162
DiabloMiner author
[...] Investing (I wrote "Incesting" at first - Idunno if that was really unintentional) in other mining companies seems a little cannibalistic and unconfident.

Investing the funds back in your CD is a bit incestuous too!  Grin Kluge invests in Cognitive. Cognitive invests in Kluge.

In case anyone misunderstands, I'm just stirring.  Wink A lot of big listed companies have cross holdings. I'm not currently a Cognitive investor, but I think BDK is as good a place as any for funds not immediately required.

Clearly Kluge and Cognitive both should invest in DMC Wink
Activity: 518
Merit: 500

legendary
What's a GPU?
I also thing we should put the funds in the Kluge CD until Yohan and crew lets up pay.
Activity: 457
Merit: 291
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I added that bit to the motion just because we might have 100 or less BTC left over and remaining dormant, and I'd hate to see it simply sit.

I do plan to ask before purchasing shares for the company, and I will make majority shareholders' opinions have a significant impact on what is done with the funds. Although, if everyone feels safer, I'd be happy to put all the coins in Kluge's CD.

Any proposals for fund placement?

I'm not a major share holder, but I think Kluge's offer sounds good and think he is a safe and profitable place to park funds for a while.
legendary
What's a GPU?
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I added that bit to the motion just because we might have 100 or less BTC left over and remaining dormant, and I'd hate to see it simply sit.

I do plan to ask before purchasing shares for the company, and I will make majority shareholders' opinions have a significant impact on what is done with the funds. Although, if everyone feels safer, I'd be happy to put all the coins in Kluge's CD.

Any proposals for fund placement?
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015
I have an issue with this motion if you'll hear me out. I'm ok with expanding to purchase more hardware, but what I'm not ok with is "Remaining funds from this capital will be invested in other GLBSE companies/bonds, which will ultimately increase Cognitive's earnings". This is vague and incorrect in stating that earnings will ultimately increase. Other companies can fail and lose money, which is why I'm not investing in those companies. Also, nothing specific is given as to what companies Cognitive would invest in, how much would be invested, or on what quantitative or qualitative basis Cognitive would make to invest in companies. In my opinion, there should have been two separate motions, and I'm sorry I didn't come across this sooner.

Another point worth making is that as the sole operator of Cognitive, you have proven yourself to be a great technical operator, manager, communicator, and what have you for running your machines. But what makes you a good investor? I'm not sure that I trust someone else to make investments for me. I'm honestly surprised no one else has brought anything like this up, as I would want to know exactly where the money is going, how it is being spent, and based on what assessment. As I currently hold about 1% of Cognitive I feel that this is something worth bringing up and I'm curious to hear other people's perspectives.

I noticed that too.

I figured that after buying new hardware, there would only be a small amount of funds left over, and was curious as to where and what Garr would invest in.   
Same here. I'm assuming we're talking about "leftover funds" which'd be used, not thousands of coins. May's well do something with them, and given how stupid-easy it is to grow something in the Bitcoin economy, you'd be hard-pressed to end up with a loss. Investing (I wrote "Incesting" at first - Idunno if that was really unintentional) in other mining companies seems a little cannibalistic and unconfident.

I own nearly 2/5 of Cognitive, now (ETA: this is false now there's 6.4k shares instead of 5k). I'd definitely prefer funds stay in something relatively liquid (I don't think you're providing seed money for any private manufacturers or investing in boats, so you should be good on that), and something with stable returns (low-risk). Blurring conflict-of-interest lines, but I'd be happy to give Cognitive a preferable CD rate of 6%/32D with the option to take out the entirety of funds on demand, but with interest-nulling penalty should it be exercised prior to date of maturity (which'd be every 32 days, assuming auto-renewal). No Pirate exposure, decent diversification, and relatively enormous % ownership equity compared to typical banks.
Activity: 457
Merit: 291
I have an issue with this motion if you'll hear me out. I'm ok with expanding to purchase more hardware, but what I'm not ok with is "Remaining funds from this capital will be invested in other GLBSE companies/bonds, which will ultimately increase Cognitive's earnings". This is vague and incorrect in stating that earnings will ultimately increase. Other companies can fail and lose money, which is why I'm not investing in those companies. Also, nothing specific is given as to what companies Cognitive would invest in, how much would be invested, or on what quantitative or qualitative basis Cognitive would make to invest in companies. In my opinion, there should have been two separate motions, and I'm sorry I didn't come across this sooner.

Another point worth making is that as the sole operator of Cognitive, you have proven yourself to be a great technical operator, manager, communicator, and what have you for running your machines. But what makes you a good investor? I'm not sure that I trust someone else to make investments for me. I'm honestly surprised no one else has brought anything like this up, as I would want to know exactly where the money is going, how it is being spent, and based on what assessment. As I currently hold about 1% of Cognitive I feel that this is something worth bringing up and I'm curious to hear other people's perspectives.

I noticed that too.

I figured that after buying new hardware, there would only be a small amount of funds left over, and was curious as to where and what Garr would invest in.   
Activity: 222
Merit: 100

legendary
What's a GPU?
The motion passed with 99.97% of voters for it. https://glbse.com/asset/old_motions/COGNITIVE

3780 for and one against.

As stated above, shares will be issued now and available for current stock owners to purchase, then will be put up for public sale at 8:00pm PST tomorrow.

I've been going back and fourth with the makers of the board we plan to invest in, and we're working out a way to get them their money, because they don't accept Bitcoin Shocked

So you don't have to read the last page:
Do current shareholders get first dibs on the new shares?

I'd like to do something like that, it seems very fair.

All who are interested:
Send me a PM with proof of ownership, GLBSE account name, and how many shares you want. I'll give you an address to send the coins to, and they will be sent back if the motion does not pass.

If the motion passes, shares will be issued tonight and put up for sale tomorrow at 8:00pm PST.

Preorders can be placed and will be fulfilled in the time between the issuance of the shares and when shares are released for public sale.

Jump to: