Pages:
Author

Topic: Status of WEX (World Exchange Services) - page 3. (Read 26206 times)

legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721
August 11, 2019, 10:47:27 PM
Wex.nz closed down not due to some countries' authorities but due to internal disputes/thievery. It probably wasn't easy to run the business when they had to shut down btc-e and pretend there's no connection between btc-e and wex.
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217
August 11, 2019, 10:24:56 PM
45% haircut was only if you wanted to get your money right away, if you waited a couple weeks longer the haircut was 38%, and it was converted into tokens which could be sold for about half of their nominal value, effectively lowering the haircut to ~19%

When Wex came back online and reimbursed the users, I thought that they'll be online for a while. I didn't withdrew my coins and in the end I lost all of the funds that I had there. But still, I don't blame them. The funds were stolen by the feds, who are saying that Alexander Vinnik used BTC-e to launder stolen coins from Mt Gox. In the end, these coins will be eaten by the FBI, and none of the parties involved (BTC-e users, Mt Gox users.etc) will get any share from that.

Although I don't want to blame them, I thought that the BTC-e owners were a bit arrogant. The feds initially asked for user information of the American clients. BTC-e refused and told them GTFO. This enraged the feds, who managed to seize 45% of the funds and the BTC-e domain. But the exchange owners were adamant and in just a few months they reappeared as Wex.nz. The feds became even more enraged and unfortunately for the owners, the FBI had the last laugh.
legendary
August 11, 2019, 08:29:25 PM
45% haircut was only if you wanted to get your money right away, if you waited a couple weeks longer the haircut was 38%, and it was converted into tokens which could be sold for about half of their nominal value, effectively lowering the haircut to ~19%
Activity: 12
Merit: 1
August 11, 2019, 08:04:44 PM
When wex started up after the BTC-e shut down, the same user names and passwords got you right in and there your balances were. Less the 45% the feds stole. I was hoping something could be salvaged. I don't recognize any names in trollbox. And the page only show 25 total users. I have no intention of opening a new account.
Activity: 112
Merit: 2
August 11, 2019, 04:50:01 PM
So, does it mean that it is not a scam?
People talk there, trade there. Where can I get an invite code?

We don't know that the site is scam or not.
You don't need a invite link. You can sign up with this link (https://viva-e.com).
But, my advice is don't sign up there unless it is confirmed that the site reliable.
Because, I read in troll box there that the withdrawal fee of fiat is 10%.
Activity: 11
Merit: 0
August 11, 2019, 04:29:41 PM
I just tried to log onto viva-e using my old wex account, but could not. It said my username didn't exist. I was hoping to grab my coins and gtfo

So, does it mean that it is not a scam?
People talk there, trade there. Where can I get an invite code?
Activity: 12
Merit: 1
August 11, 2019, 10:25:04 AM
I just tried to log onto viva-e using my old wex account, but could not. It said my username didn't exist. I was hoping to grab my coins and gtfo
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217
August 11, 2019, 03:17:22 AM

The last tweet from these accounts were made in 2018. I don't think that the BTC-e team controls these Twitter accounts anymore. But at the same time, I would be cautious about the new site (https://viva-e.com). It may be a trap to get details of the former users of Wex.nz / BTC-e.com. I am not going to give them my email, until someone confirms that this exchange is a successor to Wex.nz.

I had some $1,000 worth of my funds in Wex.nz, when the feds seized the domain and the wallets (mostly Litecoin, but some BTC as well). I am willing to bear those losses rather than trying my luck with the new exchange. The chances are quite low that Wex.nz will be resurrected ever again. Alexander Vinnik is never going to come out of the prison alive, and the other owners (Alexander Buyanov, Andrii Shvets.etc) have gone AWOL.
August 09, 2019, 10:47:52 AM
give invite https://viva-e.com

why would anyone have any reason to believe this is real?  Has there been an announcement?  Strange.

Suspicious site. Copy of former BTC-e.com (WEX.nz)   Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 3696
Merit: 10155
Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"
August 09, 2019, 03:54:49 AM
give invite https://viva-e.com

why would anyone have any reason to believe this is real?  Has there been an announcement?  Strange.
Activity: 432
Merit: 250
Is there any new information , even just a liquidation statement for tax purposes?
Activity: 364
Merit: 252
We should have withdrawn our coins when they set up Wex.nz. Can't blame these guys too much. After the feds seized BTC-e, they showed outstanding courage to set up Wex. They could have easily vanished, but they still reimbursed most of the funds and activated trading in Wex. I don't know what happened in the end, but I guess the feds won the game.

I still have some hope somewhere, I know its bleak - but hope the funds are still in their possession and they use some decentralized means to distribute it to us. Wish the Feds were more sensible - they are actually hurting people who are caught in the crossfire here.
Activity: 1974
Merit: 453
yea I'm hoping against hope too - if anybody from the original btc-e team was involved I'd expect them to have a strong moral compass - those guys went against the Feds to at least try and bring back wex.nz. Hoping someone with a conscience from the team comes across these posts !

We should have withdrawn our coins when they set up Wex.nz. Can't blame these guys too much. After the feds seized BTC-e, they showed outstanding courage to set up Wex. They could have easily vanished, but they still reimbursed most of the funds and activated trading in Wex. I don't know what happened in the end, but I guess the feds won the game.
yea I'm hoping against hope too - if anybody from the original btc-e team was involved I'd expect them to have a strong moral compass - those guys went against the Feds to at least try and bring back wex.nz. Hoping someone with a conscience from the team comes across these posts !
legendary
Activity: 3696
Merit: 10155
Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"
^ Has anyone tried to contact this new exchange ? Maybe they do have some information to share with us ? Or maybe funds Cheesy

Wishful thinking.

Currently, I am placing odds of Wex recovery at less than 1%...... still a non-zero, but odds that are low as fuck.

On the other hand, if everybody does nothing, then the odds of recovery are worse than if at least some inquiries are made in order to attempt to appeal to ethics/morality of anyone who might have our money.
^ Has anyone tried to contact this new exchange ? Maybe they do have some information to share with us ? Or maybe funds Cheesy
legendary
Now let's examine what are the options that we have. BTC-e was originally based in Kiev (Ukraine) and they later moved to Bulgaria. I don't have the information for Wex.
In case we want to file a lawsuit, should we do that in Russia, the United States, Ukraine, or Bulgaria?

Didn't they also do business out of Cyprus and the UK? Eventually settling in Singapore (wex). And they're Russian nationals Wink edit: at least one of them has a Byelorussian passport though

BTW, they're running a new exchange now, velvet.exchange.

https://bitsonline.com/velvet-new-wex/
Activity: 1974
Merit: 453
The BTC-e exchange was set up by two IT engineers (Alexander and Alexei), who previously worked at the Skolkovo Technopark (Moscow, Russia). One of them (Alexander Vinnik) is currently under arrest and will be deported to the United States very soon. I don't know the details of the other guy. But he was probably the one who set up Wex.nz.

Now let's examine what are the options that we have. BTC-e was originally based in Kiev (Ukraine) and they later moved to Bulgaria. I don't have the information for Wex.

In case we want to file a lawsuit, should we do that in Russia, the United States, Ukraine, or Bulgaria?
OMG!!! Total of $12,605. That is almost 10 years salary in a country like Pakistan. Feels really bad for you. I also lost some of my coins after trusting this damn exchange (although my losses were much lower than yours). Well... all of us ignored the basic warning.. i.e not to keep our coins in the exchange wallets. I just hope that you will have the courage to move on with your life.

Yep, the lesson Never leave your coins in exchange cost me a lot.
By the way, I made more than this amount in 2017. So, I'm moving on.  Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: