Pages:
Author

Topic: Steam bans blockchain games - page 5. (Read 549 times)

Activity: 2996
Merit: 609
October 15, 2021, 07:16:32 PM
https://twitter.com/SpacePirate_io/status/1448713803680473089

Steam decided to kick all blockchain games because they tend to feature real money trading for in-game items.

IMO this is a good decision, at the current state blockchain games are just another vehicle for speculative investments and even scams, and unsuspecting people shouldn't be lured into them.

And I can't agree that blockchain is the future for gaming, I'm a gamer myself and I never thought "Oh how I fish this game was running on blockchain". I never had any problems with centralized game servers, so why fix what is not broken? Especially since it's the blockchain that has problem like high fees, bugs in smart contracts, confirmation times. Not to mention that introducing real money into games tends to leading into very poor ecosystem.
One of the reasons on why some people do really wish off for some blockchain based games is the ability for them to make money aside on having fun and this is the sole reason on why there's so much interest in regards

on this one and basing off with this news then it turns out that Mir4 would be delisted or removed? since this one is in related with blockchain for you to able to farm some coins.I havent test out the game though

but its widely advertised thats why im bit aware of its existence and if Steam do make out such decision theres nothing we could do.
Activity: 2212
Merit: 786
October 15, 2021, 07:12:41 PM

Steam decided to kick all blockchain games because they tend to feature real money trading for in-game items.

IMO this is a good decision, at the current state blockchain games are just another vehicle for speculative investments and even scams, and unsuspecting people shouldn't be lured into them.

This is interesting news. Here I thought that I was going to experience playing blockchain games in Steam but this move is going to be healthier in Steam's ecosystem in the long-run given the current state of cryptocurrencies in different countries.

Assuming that Steam remained those games in their platform, this would eventually lead to their downfall once a cryptocurrency is declared prohibited or banned. Another thing, some of these blockchain games also avoid taxes on some countries- that is why having to prohibit such games will benefit Steam's reputation and image in the future.
legendary
Activity: 3542
Merit: 1352
Cashback 15%
October 15, 2021, 06:46:34 PM
This is a good move, although not really a surprise anymore since we all know Steam is not really welcoming when it comes to games that has an outside economy wherein they could not benefit anymore. A good preventive measure as well, since of course, a gaming platform such as Steam wouldn't want to be involved in some NFT games fiasco should it happen along the way since a lot of these games are just there for a few months before disappearing into obscurity. And because Steam offered the game on their platform, they are somewhat part of the blame.

I wonder how long before they remove these games completely?
legendary
Activity: 3024
Merit: 2148
October 15, 2021, 06:28:18 PM
If at least they would be real games, in fact, they are just demanding you money in order to buy some worthless tokens that you can "invest" in stuff
Nothing different from any pay-to-win game where they give a few free actions a day and that's it, for the rest you need tokens, most of them are below zoo tycoon or quake when it comes to the actual gaming experience, every single of those games has a free-to-play counterpart that is at least 100 times more fun to play.
Once the hype dies down and nobody is able to sell his game assets with a  profit the games go down, with all the billions in the market cap the token has.

Even if someone managed to create a blockchain game with fun gameplay, having real money involved would only hurt it. It would attract countless botters and hackers, and pay-to-win mechanics are generally very frowned upon among gamers. It's a really good example of how blockchain peddlers have zero understanding of the industries they are trying to improve with their wonderwful technology.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 6403
Blackjack.fun
October 15, 2021, 02:57:51 PM
Steam decided to kick all blockchain games

If at least they would be real games, in fact, they are just demanding you money in order to buy some worthless tokens that you can "invest" in stuff
Nothing different from any pay-to-win game where they give a few free actions a day and that's it, for the rest you need tokens, most of them are below zoo tycoon or quake when it comes to the actual gaming experience, every single of those games has a free-to-play counterpart that is at least 100 times more fun to play.
Once the hype dies down and nobody is able to sell his game assets with a  profit the games go down, with all the billions in the market cap the token has.

The game is being sold on steam, you will be able to purchase the game there.
The beta will be free, but you will need an Age of Rust token in order to play.

Yeah, lol.

legendary
Activity: 3024
Merit: 2148
October 15, 2021, 02:32:31 PM

And I can't agree that blockchain is the future for gaming, I'm a gamer myself and I never thought "Oh how I fish this game was running on blockchain". I never had any problems with centralized game servers, so why fix what is not broken? Especially since it's the blockchain that has problem like high fees, bugs in smart contracts, confirmation times. Not to mention that introducing real money into games tends to leading into very poor ecosystem.
Pages:
Jump to: