Pages:
Author

Topic: Stolen bitcoins, help! - page 4. (Read 4566 times)

legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 4794
May 09, 2014, 03:17:38 PM
I'm offering a 0.5 BTC reward for anyone that can get me a legal name and valid home address on hackforums.net user "themad2403".

I will work the the best of my ability to get theft charges filed against him.  I realize it's a longshot, and even if I get the DOX, any attempt to file legal charges will likely fail, but I'll make every attempt I can.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
May 09, 2014, 03:12:55 PM
Money is gone, especially with the thief being at hackforums.net.

Probably, but there are white-hat hackers in the world, and there are dumb hakers that make mistakes that allow them to be identified.  I doubt that's true here, but can't be sure until an effort is made.

Whatever you do, don't return the cash you received.

It's possible your recipient could be in on the caper.

He's not.

And he understands that returning the cash just means that I'm the victim instead of him.  He doesn't want to do that to me any more than I want this to happen to him.

I guess it's a $1k Tuition, for his education in securing his cryptocoin.

Have your buddy get a Mac OS or cheap $200 chrome book.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
May 09, 2014, 03:10:56 PM
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:XKHJiHUW2iYJ:www.hackforums.net/showthread.php%3Ftid%3D4114375%26page%3D2+&cd=13&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

03-14-2014, 10:35 AM Post: #12
themad2403  Offline
Bazzinga!
HF l33t    Prestige: 2
(03-14-2014 10:23 AM)Munch- Wrote: ►
I honestly don't think Bull's scamming. He's been a legitimate seller to me for months. You are lucky enough to get a partial refund - I don't know if anyone else would do that.

100% agree with u bro, and yes ure very lucky to get a refund

bull is a 200% legit seller
legendary
May 09, 2014, 03:09:39 PM
This is sad to hear and shows once again how poor the average person's computer security is.  Multisig and hardware wallets are really needed. 

If you are accepting donations on behalf of your customer, post an address and I'll donate a small amount (I feel I "owe" something to the karma gods as I've never lost a single satoshi knock on wood).

I don't want to set a precedent of making it seem like anytime someone loses their bitcoins, they can just come here and tell a sob story to get more bitcoins.

The idea of donations is certainly appreciated, and if anyone wants to send me a PM and make a private donation I'll put it all on a paper wallet and give it to the guy the next time we get together (since I no longer trust his ability to secure his bitcoin wallet).

Public panhandling for donations will just encourage scammers and con artists to try the same.  If we can get this guys bitcoins back, or can ID the thief that would be preferred.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
May 09, 2014, 03:06:53 PM
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:yj1iwewfkYgJ:www.hackforums.net/showthread.php%3Ftid%3D3973147%26page%3D18+&cd=27&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

01-12-2014, 02:44 AM Post: #178

themad2403 

Bazzinga!
HF l33t    Prestige: 2
btc: 13CChHmYHDMCfFpVDjnpEPfsijUUjjcccc

thanks bro
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007
May 09, 2014, 03:03:09 PM
This is sad to hear and shows once again how poor the average person's computer security is.  Multisig and hardware wallets are really needed. 

If you are accepting donations on behalf of your customer, post an address and I'll donate a small amount (I feel I "owe" something to the karma gods as I've never lost a single satoshi knock on wood).

legendary
May 09, 2014, 02:58:07 PM
Tale the $1000 loss as a learning experience. Or pretend you went out and had fun last night.

I'd feel a bit sick to my stomach, but I could probably manage that if something like this happened to me.

Unfortunately, this guy was messing around with money that he clearly can't afford to lose.  Telling him to "take it as a learning experience" isn't going to put his mind at ease at all.

I realize he's probably going to have to come to grips with the loss, but I'm not ready to give up yet.  Escrow.ms has already identified an email address, a skype, and an account at hackforums.  There is still a glimmer of hope that someone can dox this guy.
legendary
May 09, 2014, 02:55:14 PM

Probably, but there are white-hat hackers in the world, and there are dumb hakers that make mistakes that allow them to be identified.  I doubt that's true here, but can't be sure until an effort is made.

He's not.

And he understands that returning the cash just means that I'm the victim instead of him.  He doesn't want to do that to me any more than I want this to happen to him.
legendary
May 09, 2014, 02:52:57 PM
I tried to talk but he blocked me on skype. I'll try to contact him on hackforums.

Thanks for the effort.  I doubt it will get anywhere, but it's worth a try.  Anything I can do to help this guy is appreciated.
Activity: 854
Merit: 1000
Bitcoin: The People's Bailout
May 09, 2014, 02:52:21 PM
Yes.  This was the first time he used IE to access his blockchain.info wallet.  In the past he has always used Chrome.

Could it be this issue?
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
May 09, 2014, 02:52:14 PM

legendary
May 09, 2014, 02:51:39 PM
This sucks. As great as Bitcoin is if people feel it's too complex to use securely they'll shy away from it.

I was contemplating starting a blog to help people secure their coins, answer questions etc. but haven't had the time. Multisignature wallet solutions should help this security problem tremendously. I feel like we're right in the transition from crazy wild west to more predictable, controllable user experience. People say this will be the year of multisig wallets and I expect that's true.

The closest we could find was an IE addon called WebCake that neither of us knew what it was.

It appears WebCake is malware: http://malwaretips.com/blogs/webcake-virus-removal/

Often people trying to gain access to some facet of a system can piggyback on some existing vulnerability, just as real world viruses can open up the immune system to other bugs. Either way if this person isn't savvy enough to keep his machine free from basic viruses then that explains why he is likely easy picking.

Yes, we all understand that this happened because he was unable to secure his computer against bitcoin threats.  He is VERY PAINFULLY aware of that himself right now.

I didn't open this thread to point out what he did wrong.  I was just hoping that the owner of 13CChHmYHDMCfFpVDjnpEPfsijUUjjcccc might *just maybe* be a white-hat hacker, or that the hacker was dumb enough to already be identified (like that Marcus guy on localbitcoins).
Activity: 403
Merit: 250
May 09, 2014, 02:50:32 PM
Tale the $1000 loss as a learning experience. Or pretend you went out and had fun last night.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
May 09, 2014, 02:50:15 PM
I tried to talk but he blocked me on skype. I'll try to contact him on hackforums.

Ps: i forgot to tell you that since he's from hf he might be using FUD rat/trojan so it will not get detected by av easily and he might be using betabot which have rootkit etc.

Please ask your client to take help from malware removal experts.
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/forum/37-virus-spyware-malware-removal/
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002
May 09, 2014, 02:48:28 PM
This sucks. As great as Bitcoin is if people feel it's too complex to use securely they'll shy away from it.

I was contemplating starting a blog to help people secure their coins, answer questions etc. but haven't had the time. Multisignature wallet solutions should help this security problem tremendously. I feel like we're right in the transition from crazy wild west to more predictable, controllable user experience. People say this will be the year of multisig wallets and I expect that's true.

The closest we could find was an IE addon called WebCake that neither of us knew what it was.

It appears WebCake is malware: http://malwaretips.com/blogs/webcake-virus-removal/

Often people trying to gain access to some facet of a system can piggyback on some existing vulnerability, just as real world viruses can open up the immune system to other bugs. Either way if this person isn't savvy enough to keep his machine free from basic viruses then that explains why he is likely easy picking.
legendary
May 09, 2014, 02:48:07 PM

Was he using IE to access blockchain.info?

Yes.  This was the first time he used IE to access his blockchain.info wallet.  In the past he has always used Chrome.
Activity: 854
Merit: 1000
Bitcoin: The People's Bailout
May 09, 2014, 02:47:09 PM

Was he using IE to access blockchain.info?
Activity: 622
Merit: 500
www.cryptobetfair.com
legendary
May 09, 2014, 02:44:32 PM
He might have a hidden keylogger on his computer.

Yes, he might.  I'm not sure how to tell if he does or not.

He and I had a transaction about 3 weeks ago with no problem.  He claims he hasn't installed anything since, and that he ran a virus scan yesterday.

Regardless, it is clear that the bitcoins were taken.  Finding out how is secondary.  Finding out if we can get them back (or finding out who) is the primary goal.  If he can figure out who, he might just be angry enough to employ a rubber hose collection technique.
Pages:
Jump to: