Pages:
Author

Topic: Stolen bitcoins, help! - page 5. (Read 4566 times)

legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 4794
May 09, 2014, 02:41:43 PM
Is he physically sitting across the table from you?

Yes, literally physically.

We are sitting at a table together.  He is clearly in a bit of a panic over this.  This is quite clearly more bitcoins than he can afford to comfortably lose.  I'm doing what I can to help him, but its not a good situation.

He checked to make sure he had his bitcoins.  Then he handed me the cash.  Then he went to send the bitcoins from his blockchain.info wallet to some other address, and noticed that they were gone from his blockchain.info wallet.
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
May 09, 2014, 02:41:14 PM
Please ask your customer to scan his laptop/pc as soon as possible and he should change password of his accounts on a different pc which is safe.

I've already explained the importance of using a safer option (such as Armory, Electrum offline, or paper wallets created offline) for amounts that would be devastating to lose.

I've also already explained that he should avoid bitcoin completely until he is certain that he can keep them secure.

We looked through his laptop a bit, and didn't find much that would explain the theft.

The closest we could find was an IE addon called WebCake that neither of us knew what it was.

No Trolling: Did he open up any emails or anything sent to him? It is possible and very easy to disguise Keyloggers in attachments such as documents and even pictures(only if you download them though, viewing on google drive is safe) He might have a hidden keylogger on his computer.

Have him go through past emails/anything he downloaded from them, or even from the internet.
legendary
May 09, 2014, 02:39:12 PM
Please ask your customer to scan his laptop/pc as soon as possible and he should change password of his accounts on a different pc which is safe.

I've already explained the importance of using a safer option (such as Armory, Electrum offline, or paper wallets created offline) for amounts that would be devastating to lose.

I've also already explained that he should avoid bitcoin completely until he is certain that he can keep them secure.

We looked through his laptop a bit, and didn't find much that would explain the theft.

The closest we could find was an IE addon called WebCake that neither of us knew what it was.

Activity: 294
Merit: 250
May 09, 2014, 02:36:16 PM
His skype and email address: [email protected]

I'll try to talk to him.

Thanks.  I feel really bad for this guy.  He's sitting across the table from me in a bit of a panic, and I feel pretty helpless.

Is he physically sitting across the table from you?

No Trolling: There should be software to track down bitcoin addresses etc. *Heads up to software developers, make that software*
legendary
May 09, 2014, 02:35:21 PM

I'll try to talk to him.

Thanks.  I feel really bad for this guy.  He's sitting across the table from me in a bit of a panic, and I feel pretty helpless.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
May 09, 2014, 02:31:00 PM
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1008
Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political
May 09, 2014, 02:27:55 PM
man thats too bad... i hope the thief will have a change of heart and give back at least
some of those coins.
legendary
May 09, 2014, 02:23:00 PM

I'll try to talk to him.
legendary
May 09, 2014, 02:21:15 PM
Note:

The address 13CChHmYHDMCfFpVDjnpEPfsijUUjjcccc is the thief's address that the bitcoins were moved to.  That's why I was hoping the address might be familiar to someone.
legendary
May 09, 2014, 02:20:10 PM
Do you know which wallet receiver was using? and if it was blockchain.info wallet it's possible that his account/privatekeys got compromised.

Yes, he's using blockchain.info.

I'm pretty sure that his private keys are compromised.

I was hoping that just maybe it was compromised by a white-hat hacker, but I realize how unlikely that is.

He's in a bit of a panic, and I'm doing what I can to help him.

I understand how dire the situation is, but if there's any chance of getting these bitcoins back it would obviously be appreciated.
legendary
May 09, 2014, 02:17:50 PM
Do you know which wallet receiver was using? and if it was blockchain.info wallet it's possible that his account/privatekeys got compromised.

I found culprit
http://www.hackforums.net/showthread.php?tid=3973147&page=18

He's using Java drive by's so it might be possible that your client's PC got compromised if he was using Java.
legendary
May 09, 2014, 02:11:24 PM
I suppose this doesn't belong in this forum, but I need it to be seen quickly by a lot of people.  Feel free to move it to a better forum if necessary:

I just did a transaction with someone, (I was the sender) and the bitcoins were immediately transferred out of their wallet.

Does anyone recognize the address: 13CChHmYHDMCfFpVDjnpEPfsijUUjjcccc

Is there any chance of this being a white-hat hacker?

If we can get these 2.24422442 bitcoins back, it would really be appreciated.

-  Danny
Pages:
Jump to: