Pages:
Author

Topic: STOP!!! Do not buy that new ASIC ! And here's why... - page 2. (Read 15474 times)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100
heh this was a fun read in that my oct knc Jupiter has made 40 coins so far on slush (2/9/2014) and I expect to get 45 coins out of it lifetime more or less

Just curious, if you buy bitcoin directly on the same day you pay for your ASIC, how many bitcoin can you get with the same amount of fiat?

Mining will result in more bitcoins then what you can buy with the same amount of fiat at the time you place a order; this is true only for higher end machines.
copper member
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464
Clueless!
although  a truely smart noob woulda hedged bets with both (i was not such a noob but got lucky with a knc product)
You're not really hedging your bets. If Bitcoin goes down in price, you lose on both.

well I'm optimistic even if mining it would eventually go back up..or if not bitcoin is eventually doomed....but the point is
it would take quite the far sided noob to dump say 7K into just plain bitcoin speculation...(hey if it was easy people would do this
with gold/silver as noobs)

but people being people seems they have no problem dumping 7K into a bitcoin mining machine (or me anyway)

go figure

either camp mining or buying only or both....bitcoin has to rise at some kind of legit pace in regards to worth with other fiat dollars
or the whole thing kinda becomes moot to invest in either bitcoin or mining...as a transaction mechanism it has to be used and grow
it is not there yet in growth imho...

but then again what do I know I'm still waiting for my noob equipment I got (ordered april 2014) from Butterflylabs and due to no refund was forced to
upgrade the 65mm bricks I was supposed to get in May and would have got at thanksgiving  to future bricks as a hail mary pass
 ie  the monarch 600gh card bricks sometime in the future (they said dec then jan then feb now they say march....great racket....sell something
no one ever gets and don't refund)

don't listen to me imho

my 2c worth

Searing
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012
Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.
although  a truely smart noob woulda hedged bets with both (i was not such a noob but got lucky with a knc product)
You're not really hedging your bets. If Bitcoin goes down in price, you lose on both.
copper member
Clueless!
heh this was a fun read in that my oct knc Jupiter has made 40 coins so far on slush (2/9/2014) and I expect to get 45 coins out of it lifetime more or less

Just curious, if you buy bitcoin directly on the same day you pay for your ASIC, how many bitcoin can you get with the same amount of fiat?

I don't disagree...but i've yet to know a NOOB that has plunked 5k down on buying pure bitcoin..i do know NOOB's that have done the same for miners...its a noobie hedge

but yeah past has shown you are better off with just buying bitcoin

as to the future ..that is a logt more cloudy on mining anymore

Searing
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
....only if machines are replacing computing power ratings of 100's of GH/s with 100's of TH/s
Activity: 99
Merit: 10
mining is still profitable, and we will have the same exact discussion next year.
Activity: 27
Merit: 0
Rate of return is fairly easy to quantify in a spreadsheet; know your hashrates, return on hashrate, and determine on investment (fixed costs + variable costs)....  its all there...  The only damnable wildcards are the freakin' hardware providers (e.g. BFL, Avalon, VMC, etc...) that don't deliver in a timely manner.  I truly wish a real hardware company would step in and give us miners some reliable, predictable, and scalable hardware!!!   That is the true weakness in mining; unpredictable hardware!
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

copper member
Clueless!
I was just looking at the KNC site for their various miners, the high end Jupiter model hashes 550 Ghash for $4,995.00 .

I'm telling you, DO NOT BUY ONE OF ANY MODEL!

Why?  Simple economics.  Run the numbers with me:

At current BTC difficulty of 267 million, you'll get 1.03 BTC per day.  In a couple days when the difficulty jumps to ~400 million, you will only get 0.69 BTC per day.  And it'll only get worse as the difficulty continues to rise!

BTC is at $215.00 right now, and assuming it stays there (which it won't), and assuming you are mining 0.69 BTC per day (which will fall more and more), you'd have to mine for at least 34 days to break even, and if the BTC price drops, it'll be much longer.

If BTC dropped to $100, and assuming again that you were still somehow getting 0.69 BTC at the 400 million difficulty, which will rise, your break even time is now 72 days or longer.

And this does not take into account shipping costs or electricity costs.

And WHEN the difficulty rises, it'll be much longer.

Do you really want to be on pins and needles for 3 months or more, praying that your foolish purchase at least breaks even, much less makes a profit?

Save yourself the headache.

If you're that desperate to throw money away, PM me for my PayPal address.  

And I really had to LOL at how they list the Saturn version as the "more affordable" model.  50% of the hash rate for 60% of the price -- you're already losing money relative to buying the Jupiter version!

And this is not a rip on KNC specifically, this goes for any ASIC built by anyone.

there was a guy on knc forums it think it was got 10 knc jupiters (1 for free if you get ten) so a total of 11 Jupiters...he mortgaged the house I mean really really
drank the koolaide...he got his delivered about the same time as me...he has something like 500 plus btc by this point I'd imagine....probably will have 550 lifetime

take away elec costs etc...he is still probably sitting  on 450 coins btc

ah crap ..I shoulda /coulda gone 'all in'

hindsight maybe 20/20 but I'd feel really 'sad' if I took the advice above back in the day....

as to the future of asic mining as of feb 2014...well maybe he was just ahead of his time on this post

Searing
Activity: 26
Merit: 0
I was just looking at the KNC site for their various miners, the high end Jupiter model hashes 550 Ghash for $4,995.00 .

I'm telling you, DO NOT BUY ONE OF ANY MODEL!

Why?  Simple economics.  Run the numbers with me:

At current BTC difficulty of 267 million, you'll get 1.03 BTC per day.  In a couple days when the difficulty jumps to ~400 million, you will only get 0.69 BTC per day.  And it'll only get worse as the difficulty continues to rise!

BTC is at $215.00 right now, and assuming it stays there (which it won't), and assuming you are mining 0.69 BTC per day (which will fall more and more), you'd have to mine for at least 34 days to break even, and if the BTC price drops, it'll be much longer.

If BTC dropped to $100, and assuming again that you were still somehow getting 0.69 BTC at the 400 million difficulty, which will rise, your break even time is now 72 days or longer.

And this does not take into account shipping costs or electricity costs.

And WHEN the difficulty rises, it'll be much longer.

Do you really want to be on pins and needles for 3 months or more, praying that your foolish purchase at least breaks even, much less makes a profit?

Save yourself the headache.

If you're that desperate to throw money away, PM me for my PayPal address.  

And I really had to LOL at how they list the Saturn version as the "more affordable" model.  50% of the hash rate for 60% of the price -- you're already losing money relative to buying the Jupiter version!

And this is not a rip on KNC specifically, this goes for any ASIC built by anyone.

well a terra miner is 2 Th and 6000 dollars why I should get one of those?
Activity: 434
Merit: 251
the only way to get ur money back is by paying with fiat and not with bitcoin. However, it would be more profitable to buy bitcoin directly.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012
Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.
Mining is once again profitable =)
Only in the same sense that "buy Bitcoins with USD, send half of them to the Bitcoin eater, hold the rest and wait for them to go up" is profitable.
Activity: 381
Does the constant need to gain any gain Smiley
Activity: 728
Merit: 253
A Blockchain Mobile Operator With Token Rewards
People who say don't mine should have to do full disclosure as to what their current hashrate is. Lots of miners may see discouraging others as a way to try and sustain the value of their mining endeavor.

+1

Mining is once again profitable =)
Activity: 192
People who say don't mine should have to do full disclosure as to what their current hashrate is. Lots of miners may see discouraging others as a way to try and sustain the value of their mining endeavor.

+1
Activity: 194
TRADING BITCOINS ARE MORE FUN, JUST LIKE STOCKS
Activity: 448
I will try my best to convince everyone not to buy ASIC and I order one myself, Ya ASIC sux please don't buy....
Activity: 173
btcmy.net
WRONG! i bought ASICs for mining to validate the transaction and protect the network not to make a profit!
Activity: 952
Merit: 642
Magic
not everybody buys ASIC for Profit...
Activity: 364
Merit: 253
Just buy shares and sell if you need liquidity. Deposit a bucket withdraw trinkets.
Pages:
Jump to: