Pages:
Author

Topic: Study says being rich is determined by chance rather than intelligence or talent - page 25. (Read 2986 times)

Activity: 728
Merit: 502
Determination is highly needed when a person wants to become successful in life. If you are.determined to do what you want, then it is not impossible for you to become successful. If a person is not an intelligent  or a talented and have a determination to become one, then it is not impossible. Action speaks louder than words. Determination + Hardwork is equals to SUCCESS.
There are many other factors which are necessary to look after besides determination, because determination alone cannot take you anywhere and it has to mix up with other things like knowledge, skill, experience, attitude, self analysis and above all your luck factor. The way you approach the problems you face, the way you prioritize them and the way you handle them certainly take you to the success of anything.
Activity: 2912
Merit: 642
Hey, say sorry. You will hit a lot of person here for that kind of argument.

They think they are all genius specially with the English language but they are stucked when it comes to how much money they have.

That is their problem, they dont want to give way to others and would want to always be on top and yet they fall easily and cannot stay on top for a long time because of their behaviour.
It is not really chance. It is the way your lifestyle will stay instead of being so boastful of everything you do.
Activity: 462
Merit: 515
“It is evident that the most successful individuals are also the luckiest ones,” they say. “And the less successful individuals are also the unluckiest ones.”

This is true, but only to an extent. For example there are individuals who have become rich by robbing their own people while holding positions of ministers, lawmakers and other governmental officials. Almost all of them are very rich although they are definitely not very talented. But can we call them "the luckiest ones"? I don't think so. Can you imagine saying "He was so lucky to have the opportunity to lay his hands on the money instead of transfering it to children's hospital!"?
IMO a great percentage of the richest people in the world are either the ones I described or their genetic relatives, and unfortunately the study doesn't cover this at all.

I tend to disagree with you on this one. Unless you have a favor of an influential figure or come from a prominent family, you should be exceptionally lucky to get into a position on your own where you can "lay your hands on the money". I think the competition in the "field" should be even more cut-throatish than anywhere else. It doesn't mean that it is not possible, but there is always something which we don't know and maybe don't even want to know behind some random dude rising to power.

And just to survive in a revolution you should be twice as lucky. Revolutions devour their children.

I agree with you. I even think that no luck can help you to get into that position and then stay there unless you have connections to an influential family. Random people who were lucky enough to get there either get killed or put in prison pretty quickly. Hence, those who can stay there for a long time are from high-profile families mostly, and being neither smart nor lucky they are still rich.

Yeah, this is why we need powerful and mighty clans to back us up if we want to survive in politics. The Bush family in the US seems to be the most notorious example as of recent, and probably of all times, where you can be just plain stupid ("if we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure") and still become a US president if you have an influential family propping you up.

"I believe God wants me to be president."
Activity: 3052
Merit: 606
if I agree with this statement, what about most people who build their wealth from zero and with hard work without despair? What about the difference of difficulty to get $ 100 between undergraduate and primary school graduate. Indeed, there is a small percentage of people who achieve fortune by chance, but we can not conclude that if we are not lucky then we will not be rich.

You're definitely correct. Many people will depends on their chance which will rely on their luck just like playing lottery. As far as I know most of people winning on lottery are those people who are just ordinary people, not as talented nor intelligent which means only luck can tell everything. On the other hand, those talented and intelligent people use their skills in order to earn much more money by their hard work and effort which they can be proud.
I think intelligence,talent and chance should all work together for a person to be called rich.I really don't believe people will eventually become rich just for a chance.Of course they do it with all their hardworks and sacrifices.Plus the fact that man inborn has its own talent and skill,it just need to be discover by a chance.And if that chance were perfectly utilized,then being rich would mean so close already.
Activity: 109
Merit: 0
Intelligent people do things to consider more than the spirit of adventure!

Activity: 396
Merit: 252
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
Determined people is way more apart to the intelligent or talented person because the way a determined person works amd do the things he is more focus and works almost all his time to make his goal become real or to achieved it. Whatever talent you have if you are not determined you will not going to succeed in life.
Activity: 182
Merit: 10
so many factors that cause people to become rich, and not just coincidence that makes people become rich, 1. people get rich from the inheritance of their parents. 2. the luck of life will become someone getting rich. 3. in one's life is always active in this work will also make someone become rich.and what if lazing where might make him become rich.
Activity: 210
The revolutionary trading ecosystem
Yes, I do I believe that being rich is determined by chance. Now a days they are a lot of chance that you can get rich. Some of them are coming in multi-level marketing, some is pure luck to game shows, billiard tournament and overseas worker. This kind of people are those who are lack of money to study. They are the most determine people who are just not going to give up in their dreams. Not losing hope that there is a chance to get rich. Base in observation most of them comes from poverty. They are the ones who knows well of being poor. Desperate to change the way they live. That's why when it comes to money matter they are the most who knows well to handle money. They are the ones that will think more than twice or even trice before spending. Just a thought.
Activity: 910
Merit: 254
See i am not saying your luck or fate doesn't matter in your life they do matter and play  a vital role in one's life but depending completely on them is wrong. We have many exanples where a man or woman who grew up in medium class who dont have resources and oppurtunities to rise in future have worked hard and changed their destiny and have lived a levishful life.So you need to work hard because success doesn't come in a single day or by waiting for it to come. Stop blaiming god for your bad life but get up and tell everyone what you are capable of.Bill gates one qouted "If you are born poor it's not your mistake but our you die poor it's your mistake."
Activity: 308
Merit: 128
They say that chance only knock ones you have to grab it but also you have to do something you have to work on it wisely. Chance combined it with intelligence it will be better a chance to be rich.

I already experience that situation, way back 10 years ago my grand mother give me a chance to fulfill my dream but I didn't take it seriously, until I realized that I've just throw this kind of opportunity,  but I believe that those undergrad. People are more gumptious, than a four year grad,  so as long as you have the determination to achieve your goals don't stop striving until you succeed.
Activity: 364
Merit: 130
if I agree with this statement, what about most people who build their wealth from zero and with hard work without despair? What about the difference of difficulty to get $ 100 between undergraduate and primary school graduate. Indeed, there is a small percentage of people who achieve fortune by chance, but we can not conclude that if we are not lucky then we will not be rich.
legendary
Activity: 3374
Merit: 2198
I stand with Ukraine.
“It is evident that the most successful individuals are also the luckiest ones,” they say. “And the less successful individuals are also the unluckiest ones.”

This is true, but only to an extent. For example there are individuals who have become rich by robbing their own people while holding positions of ministers, lawmakers and other governmental officials. Almost all of them are very rich although they are definitely not very talented. But can we call them "the luckiest ones"? I don't think so. Can you imagine saying "He was so lucky to have the opportunity to lay his hands on the money instead of transfering it to children's hospital!"?
IMO a great percentage of the richest people in the world are either the ones I described or their genetic relatives, and unfortunately the study doesn't cover this at all.

I tend to disagree with you on this one. Unless you have a favor of an influential figure or come from a prominent family, you should be exceptionally lucky to get into a position on your own where you can "lay your hands on the money". I think the competition in the "field" should be even more cut-throatish than anywhere else. It doesn't mean that it is not possible, but there is always something which we don't know and maybe don't even want to know behind some random dude rising to power.

And just to survive in a revolution you should be twice as lucky. Revolutions devour their children.

I agree with you. I even think that no luck can help you to get into that position and then stay there unless you have connections to an influential family. Random people who were lucky enough to get there either get killed or put in prison pretty quickly. Hence, those who can stay there for a long time are from high-profile families mostly, and being neither smart nor lucky they are still rich.
Yes i will definitely agree that being rich is sometimes determined by chance. But we all know that rich people nowadays are those who came from a wealthy clan. There are also chances that a certain people become rich because of luck and some other people get rich because of their hardwork and determination to get what they want in life. Another thing to consider is the skills, techniques and the talent that is being used  plus the resources to be use to start a business and become succeesful someday.

In addition, the wealthy don't like what is called "new money" because it is a direct threat to their wealth. We all know about companies that had been highly successful in the past but got out of business just because someone was quick to jump at the opportunity to employ innovations that these companies were too big and slow to embrace in time. Kodak and Polaroid (the latter was declared bankrupt in 2001) come to mind instantly but they are certainly not the only examples of this phenomenon. Therefore, if you are "new money" or aim to become it, you need even more luck because you will have to fight with multinational corporations.
Activity: 518
Merit: 145
Yes, the most successful people are not the most talented, just the luckiest. But luck, by itself, doesn’t control all aspects. Some of the richest people in the world today (founders of Google, Facebook, Yahoo etc) got that way because they really worked hard to make their vision come true. Yes, they got lucky by finding the right people, getting funding at the right time etc but they also made their own luck.

I disagree a little bit with what you have said, because in one way or the other, everything still balls down to chance. One thing I want to point out here is that the intelligent people you have mentioned are just the few of the ones, who really got a chance to see their products make it to the limelight and of course got successful, but you have forgotten the number of THE OTHERS that are as intelligent as this, came up with their own ideas and products, but one way or the other, life did not just give them a CHANCE as much as it gave those ones. Remember Facebook was really not the first social media platform to have ever been created.

So, whether we like it or not, chance still has a huge role to play but of course, we cannot be waiting for chance before we make it, we still have to try our best and utilize every opportunity to see if we get to meet ourselves there.
Activity: 252
WPP ENERGY - BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN
Determination is highly needed when a person wants to become successful in life. If you are.determined to do what you want, then it is not impossible for you to become successful. If a person is not an intelligent  or a talented and have a determination to become one, then it is not impossible. Action speaks louder than words. Determination + Hardwork is equals to SUCCESS.
Activity: 420
Merit: 266
Yes, the most successful people are not the most talented, just the luckiest. But luck, by itself, doesn’t control all aspects. Some of the richest people in the world today (founders of Google, Facebook, Yahoo etc) got that way because they really worked hard to make their vision come true. Yes, they got lucky by finding the right people, getting funding at the right time etc but they also made their own luck.
Activity: 560
Merit: 101
Yes i will definitely agree that being rich is sometimes determined by chance. But we all know that rich people nowadays are those who came from a wealthy clan. There are also chances that a certain people become rich because of luck and some other people get rich because of their hardwork and determination to get what they want in life. Another thing to consider is the skills, techniques and the talent that is being used  plus the resources to be use to start a business and become succeesful someday.
But there is a problem with this idea: while wealth distribution follows a power law, the distribution of human skills generally follows a normal distribution that is symmetric about an average value. For example, intelligence, as measured by IQ tests, follows this pattern. Average IQ is 100, but nobody has an IQ of 1,000 or 10,000.

The same is true of effort, as measured by hours worked. Some people work more hours than average and some work less, but nobody works a billion times more hours than anybody else.

These two aspects are particularly troubling about the methodology and logic of the argument. The logical argument made is that nobody should naturally have thousands of times more wealth than anyone else because nobody can have an IQ thousands of times higher than average or be thousands of times taller. First, there's no logical link there. Second, where the author faults nobody having an IQ of 10,000, it ignores the fact that an IQ can't even be 10,000, which is why nobody has achieved it. Similarly, nobody can be as tall as a skyscraper because it isn't physically possible. By using as a model the fact that these things don't happen as a guidepost for what should happen in wealth distribution naturally, it seems the author is comparing two things that can't be compared, and attributing the difference to luck.

Bill Gates isn't rich because he was the smartest man in the world, or because he was lucky. He's rich because he built a product that hundreds of millions of people found useful and paid for. The main driver of wealth isn't luck or intelligence (although either isn't going to hurt), the determining factor is market utility of what you do.

I wouldn't write off luck completely here. I don't deny that it is market utility of what you do that determines your success in the market at the end of the day but it is not very much different from saying that your wealth is determined by how much money you have or earn. Essentially, what you say is sort of tautology. Many people try to get that market utility but only few succeed. Huge corporations are spending billions on R&D to get there too. So how is it fundamentally different from the same people trying to become rich and wealthy? You still need luck to hit the jackpot with that elusive utility. You are simply revealing the specific mechanism or route by which luck makes wealth these days.

The market itself decides what has market utility and what doesn't. The fact that everyone tries for the most market utility for their products in pursuit of wealth and not everyone achieves it is proof that the market picks the winners and losers. If you re-read what I wrote, I haven't written off lucky completely, I said it doesn't hurt. But ultimately, market utility of your product and not luck determines the wealth you take from it. Indeed it is NOT very different from saying that your wealth is determined by how much money you have and earn, because that's literally the definition of wealth. I'm just saying that the wealth comes from the market utility of what you as an individual create, not luck.

In this manner, it could be just as well said that it is not market utility per se, which produces wealth, but rather money which people pay for a product or service marketed. And what does it take from my argument? I think nothing. Or do you think that market utility, or customers money, for that matter, comes on its own? You also need plenty of luck to find a bestseller idea that you can make money on. So how is it actually different from saying that you still need luck, plenty of luck, to become wealthy nowadays?

When Bill Gates built Microsoft, it wasn't luck that he built a tool that everyone just happened to find useful. He built a tool that everyone found useful because he surmised (correctly) that everyone needed it.

Microsoft had been a no-name until they stroke a contract with IBM, which was thanks to his mother being a friend of an IBM CEO. They had nothing apart from a shitty version of a shitty computer language.
Activity: 203
Merit: 100
Was that was it was?
Yes I think so as well, being rich may be determined by chance rather than those traits but it doesn't mean that we must rely on chances, I'd rather use those intelligence and talent than to rely on those odds. With the right amount of intelligence and talent with lots of hard work, I'm pretty sure I will live a better life, may or may not be rich, but surely a better life.
Activity: 280
I would have to agree with this. Most of the school dropouts end up being a millionaire or even billionaires. Steve Jobs of Apple, Bill Gates of Microsoft, Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook and Michael Dell of Dell laptops to name a few. These are all dropouts who managed to become rich despite not having to finish school.

Not finishing school or university because you have a better opportunity is not only a sign of talent, but a sign of one of their ability to take risks and prioritise their time.
It is up to the per son that after finishing the school what they choose fro them as some people will go for the investment of the bitcoin and some use to make other business with bitcoin, it is good to learn about bitcoin for them as it is the early age learning and it will be good for them to have better life forever. Being rich is not only the chance but it is about your skills and your way of earning that how you have the spirit to deal with the rise and fall of bitcoin price and how you go through it, so be determined and then earn the highest profit ever.
Pages:
Jump to: