Pages:
Author

Topic: Successful Test of Cold Fusion Device - Customer (DARPA?) pays 2 million$. - page 3. (Read 7438 times)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10
That's true because almost every time in the past that somebody has successfully developed such a device they are either threatened, bought off, arrested or killed.

Please do elaborate on these.
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
As far as I have been able to figure out these kind of devices do not work ...
Precisely.

People, use your critical thinking faculties.

All we have is Rossi's own claim that his customer is satisfied enough to buy the device. During the demonstration, they didn't even disconnect the external power cable, which is supposedly only needed while the device is being started up. If the device really worked, they would have been happy to disconnect the external power supply.

[edit: it seems they didn't even turn the diesel generator off during this so-called test!]

That reminded me of this scene from Primer.

thanks for the tip cruikshank  Cheesy , didn't know a series like that existed

@Mageant we all know it happens, proof is all around internet Sad , the day some anon person releases 9 page doc to build an ingenious yet simple and small device, that harnesses energy from the empty space we're surrounded, we will have a real breakthrough. We could even use bitcoin to stay anon if we ever wanted to sell ready built devices to other peers and make some profit
legendary
Activity: 1145
Merit: 1001
Sorry for the long post but i had to say all this.
Now that you've got that off your chest, you could ponder why the "inventors" of these impossible devices always refuse to give a simple unambiguous demonstration that they work.

Because "We are prohibited even experimenting with free energy devices..."  Duh.

That's true because almost every time in the past that somebody has successfully developed such a device they are either threatened, bought off, arrested or killed.
As far as I have been able to figure out these kind of devices do not work ...
Precisely.

People, use your critical thinking faculties.

All we have is Rossi's own claim that his customer is satisfied enough to buy the device. During the demonstration, they didn't even disconnect the external power cable, which is supposedly only needed while the device is being started up. If the device really worked, they would have been happy to disconnect the external power supply.

[edit: it seems they didn't even turn the diesel generator off during this so-called test!]

That reminded me of this scene from Primer.
Activity: 714
Merit: 504
^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.
Nickel is cheap but in case this technology is adopted could be the next "fossil fuel" if you ask me with all the bad things that will bring.
Well, in this case the nickel is consumed, but in return you get a more valuable metal; copper. If this is not viable as a power generator, then it might still be profitable to have more copper than we have now.
You may be right that this is not a long term solution. But if it works well, it might be a medium term solution, and will teach us about cold fusion catalysis, so we can maybe go to full hydrogen-hydrogen fusing in the future. At least it's better than mining coal/oil, and exploding fission reactors.

About thermodynamics:
This is not a "free energy device" or a "perpetuum mobile". The fusion of a hydrogen atom with a nickel one does actually produce energy, and this is not energy "from nothing". As such, there is no thermodynamics being violated.

This has been going on for longer though. An interesting article from April, that says a small version was shown to work by (amongst others) the chairman of the Swedish Skeptics Society:
http://pesn.com/2011/04/07/9501805_Rossi_Cold_Fusion_Validated_by_Swedish_Skeptics_Society/
Note: The article seems a bit biased towards believing.
Some quotes from it:
Kullander and Essen also ruled out that the energy could be coming from a chemical source. They stated, "Any chemical process for producing 25 kWh from any fuel in a 50 cm3 container can be ruled out. The only alternative explanation is that there is some kind of a nuclear process that gives rise to the measured energy production." This statement is VERY significant coming from a report written not only by professional scientists, but also by the chairman of a skeptical society!
A sample of fresh nickel powder and a sample of nickel powder that had been in an active E-Cat for two and a half months was given to Kullander and Essen. Elemental and isotopic analysis was performed on the samples utilizing both X-ray Fluorescence and Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry. The result was that the fresh nickel powder was almost totally pure nickel, but the nickel powder that had been in an E-Cat contained 10% copper and 11% iron. Two of the copper isotopes detected were Cu63 and Cu65. Kullander has stated this is proof of nuclear reactions taking place in the reactor.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
Now that you've got that off your chest, you could ponder why the "inventors" of these impossible devices always refuse to give a simple unambiguous demonstration that they work.

Because "We are prohibited even experimenting with free energy devices..."  Duh.
donator
Activity: 826
Merit: 1060
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
I'm not skeptical at all, i believe it's possible it works and can be a revolutionary technology but i refuse to use another "device" that creates it's energy based on some material element, few grams of nickel is used by this cold fusion device. Nickel is cheap but in case this technology is adopted could be the next "fossil fuel" if you ask me with all the bad things that will bring.

We already have inventions that create lots more and don't have to use nothing in the process, they are being kept secret by gov all over the world, and seeing a device like this being publicized should rise some alerts for ppl. We are prohibited even experimenting with free energy devices and scientists all over the world, funded by big business, spend most of their time bashing and denying it's existence with their flawed laws and shit.
The first and second laws of thermodynamics are valid and will be forever but are mistakenly interpreted or applied, you have to look at the "big" picture when measuring energy put into and output of a device. The vacuum is full of "static" energy that enters freely in every device we make. The basic principle in every OU device, mechanic, electric or chem, is a very efficient oscillator (pendulum) or swing that you have to "push" at it's resonant frequency to have it build huge amounts of energy that you can have for free. We see free energy devices all day long in the parks but don't stop to think how they really work Tongue

Activity: 812
-
In his latest press release, Rossi explained how his device works.

It's actually not cold fusion. It turns out that the device consumes as much electrical power as the heat it releases, but as a side-effect the device generates enough bitcoins to pay for the power consumed, so Rossi has been ignoring the electricity input in his energy calculations.

Ingenious, I should call a press conference and show them how I produce enough heat for free to heat my house. All at one time cost of a bunch of 5970s. Electricity is free after that since it is being paid for by bitcoins.

Here is an idea of a device which would compete with Rossi's cold fusion. 6990 based space heater. It is only 1000£ per 1kW, you connect it to the grid and to the net. There will be a service that takes your bitcoins and sells it for fiat which are being paid direct to you electricity company. Free heat, here we go.

donator
In his latest press release, Rossi explained how his device works.

It's actually not cold fusion. It turns out that the device consumes as much electrical power as the heat it releases, but as a side-effect the device generates enough bitcoins to pay for the power consumed, so Rossi has been ignoring the electricity input in his energy calculations.
Activity: 812
-
"... a group of unknown, unverifiable people carried out tests which cannot be checked." (Wired). Forgive me for remaining sceptical.

Moreover, laws of thermodynamic has not been disproved so far. Rossi claims that he can mass produce these space heaters at 100$ per kW. Let's just all of us buy a dozen... global warming here we come... free energy! yea right...

Now if any of t his is true than at today's electricity prices these 100$/kW babeis would pay itself off in 42 days. It is way better then even bitcoin mining rigs in its heydays.

Unknown customer, according to Rossi, is happy that that box produces all that energy and do not pay attention to that fat cable from power grid to our kettle it does not contribute any power. Yea, right... the "customer" sez it's fine.

Even at current 1000$/kW Rossi could have juts engaged in building power plants and selling electricity to the grid. It is juts so easy to build a viable biz model once you have free energy. Why is it Rossy instead of selling energy engages into all those scammy demos instead? Something is fishy here...

Occam's Razor would suggest that this is a scam as this would be the simplest explanation of all the facts.
legendary
Activity: 1145
Did you know that it took about 4 years for the press and scientists to recognize the successful flights of the Wright Brothers:

"... The only photos of the flights of 1904–1905 were taken by the brothers. (A few photos were damaged in the Great Dayton Flood of 1913, but most survived intact.) In 1904 Ohio beekeeping businessman Amos Root, a technology enthusiast, saw a few flights including the first circle. Articles he wrote for his beekeeping magazine were the only published eyewitness reports of the Huffman Prairie flights, except for the unimpressive early hop local newsmen saw. Root offered a report to Scientific American magazine, but the editor turned it down. As a result, the news was not widely known outside of Ohio, and was often met with skepticism. The Paris edition of the Herald Tribune headlined a 1906 article on the Wrights "FLYERS OR LIARS?"

In years to come Dayton newspapers would proudly celebrate the hometown Wright brothers as national heroes, but the local reporters somehow missed one of the most important stories in history as it was happening a few miles from their doorstep. James M. Cox, publisher at that time of the Dayton Daily News (later governor of Ohio and Democratic presidential nominee in 1920), expressed the attitude of newspapermen—and the public—in those days when he admitted years later, "Frankly, none of us believed it."[62]
The Dayton Daily News reported the October 5 flight on page 9, with agriculture and business news.[N 2]

A few newspapers published articles about the long flights, but no reporters or photographers had been there. The lack of splashy eyewitness press coverage was a major reason for disbelief in Washington, D.C. and Europe and in journals like Scientific American, whose editors doubted the "alleged experiments" and asked how U.S. newspapers, "alert as they are, allowed these sensational performances to escape their notice." ..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wright_brothers

Seems like the mainstream media is again missing one of the big stories.
It's the same "Catch-22" argument: "If it were real, we would know about it."
So someone claims to have discovered cold fusion, and their first thought isn't to fly to Norway to flaunt it to the Noble Prize committee?
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
I don't see how any sort of "catalyst" can fuse two or more protons together. Until proven otherwise, I will keep believing that the only thing inside those hot foil wrapped tubes are just hot baked potatoes. That way my hopes won't be shattered too much if it turns out not to be potatoes (even if I do really love baked potatoes).

To me, it looks like the whole machine could fit on a coffee table. You didn't, by chance, loan it to anyone, did you Rassah? That sure the hell would explain how the heat was generated.
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
What is for research may take a very long time before it can translate into part of our daily lives.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
I don't see how any sort of "catalyst" can fuse two or more protons together. Until proven otherwise, I will keep believing that the only thing inside those hot foil wrapped tubes are just hot baked potatoes. That way my hopes won't be shattered too much if it turns out not to be potatoes (even if I do really love baked potatoes).
Red
Activity: 210
Merit: 115
Thanks!

The big thing to note is Rossi hopes to have small scale units available for $100 per kW, or just 5% of conventional generation capacity.

I know! It would be pretty game changing. I really want someone to talk me out of getting my hopes up. I'm usually pretty pessimistic about such things.

The odd (talking out my ass) pattern I keep reading is physicists speculating about nano-scale atomic geometries having something to do with these reactions. (Lattices and so forth.) I can't say I really understand any of it at a deep level. But there has already been lots of nano-engineering research lately. (Graphene, nano-tubules, atomic-scale motors) Geometrically, it all seems pretty basic so far. But if someone can come up with a theory of how atomic geometries of nickel facilitate nuclear reactions (or paladium etc.), that ability to push atoms into regular patterns could really start to get useful fast.
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
Just curious. Where did you get those figures?

Generation cost number come from my day job - but they are around in various published reports.  You local energy regulator probably has them in some form on their web site.

The big thing to note is Rossi hopes to have small scale units available for $100 per kW, or just 5% of conventional generation capacity.
Red
Activity: 210
Merit: 115
Now I'm not saying he is not a scammer. Normally I would say that without a doubt he is. But I keep stumbling on more and more instances of people claiming to produce excess heat using similar experiments.
http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-18560_162-4952167.html

There was a documentary linked about the inventor. I clearly pointed out that he has done unsuccessful, almost scam like, things in the past. But there are also interviews with others purported to be swiss (swede?) experts in the field. They seem convinced something is happening.

I saw your comments on venting heat. You very well could be right. I was thinking of it as a metal box containing 4,700 hundred watt lightbulbs. That makes one hell of an Easy Bake Oven!

The following pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject.
http://xkcd.com/955/

donator
... If they really were generating 470 Kwh of heat in that little shipping container something needed to circulate the water and vent that heat outside
A simple pipe can vent 470kW of steam without difficulty, and a simple pipe can deliver cold water. With a 1MW electrical generator running, I can easily produce 470kW of steam with simple resistive elements.
Pages:
Jump to: