Pages:
Author

Topic: (Suggestion) New sub-forum for novelty coins - page 3. (Read 3016 times)

legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 6403
Blackjack.fun
December 25, 2013, 02:33:51 AM
Namecoin has the alternative dns thingy behind , so it has something special compared to any other coin.

Until somebody comes with something totally new rather than messing with block reward/time and it proves it works , I consider all the alts as day trading activity.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 2156
Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?
December 25, 2013, 02:29:23 AM
That goes back to the question, What makes a coin a novelty coin? Who would be the one to make the decision whether or not a coin is legitimate or not? Thats a position that no one can make, if you think a coin is a novelty coin, great. Others dont.

I agree that that goes to most altcoins, but a coin based off of an internet meme is clearly a novelty coin. I mean. The coin is based entirely on a joke. If that's not novelty, then I don't know what is. Same for Bernankoin. The coin is clearly satire as the dev would admit. Or KittehCoin. Another joke/meme coin. I get that with most coins the line is very unclear but you have to admit that these are very intended for novelty and fun. And ever since DOGE there has been lots of novelty coins popping out. They're taking lots of space from other alternate crypto. Altcoins already have a bad reputation but this is going even as far to make them into an actual joke. The biggest reason why I think a sub-forum is needed for these coins is that they can be seen as separate from other crypto (even though I think most of the "other crypto" is borderline novelty too). Altcoins have been pretty bad this year but now they're even worse and if this continues (which I believe will if nothing is done about it), they'll become even worse. This whole easy-going and fun mentality is also giving lots of room for more scamming and market manipulation. I'm not asking to make a sub-forum for whatever coins I think are bad, but for the coins that anyone can clearly see as novelty. If a coin is purely built around a joke, internet meme or satire then it is for novelty purposes. Even if it expands to getting traded and all, as long as it's main purpose and status remains around the joke, then it's still a non-serious coin, even if it makes serious profit for certain pumpers and lucky bystanders.

What about a joke coin with a higher market cap than Bitcoin? Someone was messing around and bought fractions of Dogecoins for something like $400 each, so the market caps were showing $3 Trillion USD. Even with that sort of fluke, whether its a joke or not, there is serious money being held in doge, which again brings use back to, how do you completely detirmine if a coin is a novelty or not. If there was Stupidcoin, but it had a new POW system, the coins were $1000 per coin, and had a huge userbase, would it still be considered a novelty coin?

Theres just no way to enforce a split between alt coins and novelty coins. Its completely up to ones own opinion.

You can do that easily by splitting the alt section into 3:

-Namecoin
-Litecoin
-Other.

Why bother separating garbage from junk?

That is opinion as well, what makes Litecoin or Namecoin special? Sure they are amongst the oldest alt coins, but the same goes with Solidcoin/Microcash, Peercoin, Freicoin, Yacoin, and a plethera of other slightly newer coins.

I decided a long time ago that I would not be the judge of a coins validity. If its a good idea, people will use it, if its a stupid coin, it will die. No more fair way than that. As long as the creator isn't putting malware into the wallet, I don't care if someone decides to make SUPERULTRABESTCOIN or anything else.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 6403
Blackjack.fun
December 25, 2013, 02:18:30 AM
You can do that easily by splitting the alt section into 3:

-Namecoin
-Litecoin
-Other.

Why bother separating garbage from junk?

Activity: 99
Merit: 10
I do not support TIX Tickets.
December 25, 2013, 02:11:03 AM
That goes back to the question, What makes a coin a novelty coin? Who would be the one to make the decision whether or not a coin is legitimate or not? Thats a position that no one can make, if you think a coin is a novelty coin, great. Others dont.

I agree that that goes to most altcoins, but a coin based off of an internet meme is clearly a novelty coin. I mean. The coin is based entirely on a joke. If that's not novelty, then I don't know what is. Same for Bernankoin. The coin is clearly satire as the dev would admit. Or KittehCoin. Another joke/meme coin. I get that with most coins the line is very unclear but you have to admit that these are very intended for novelty and fun. And ever since DOGE there has been lots of novelty coins popping out. They're taking lots of space from other alternate crypto. Altcoins already have a bad reputation but this is going even as far to make them into an actual joke. The biggest reason why I think a sub-forum is needed for these coins is that they can be seen as separate from other crypto (even though I think most of the "other crypto" is borderline novelty too). Altcoins have been pretty bad this year but now they're even worse and if this continues (which I believe will if nothing is done about it), they'll become even worse. This whole easy-going and fun mentality is also giving lots of room for more scamming and market manipulation. I'm not asking to make a sub-forum for whatever coins I think are bad, but for the coins that anyone can clearly see as novelty. If a coin is purely built around a joke, internet meme or satire then it is for novelty purposes. Even if it expands to getting traded and all, as long as it's main purpose and status remains around the joke, then it's still a non-serious coin, even if it makes serious profit for certain pumpers and lucky bystanders.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 2156
Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?
December 25, 2013, 01:55:18 AM
December 25, 2013, 01:34:30 AM
How do you tell the difference between a novelty-coin and an alt-coin?  To me they're pretty much the same thing except for maybe Litecoin and Namecoin.
Well. Even though I'd like to say that most altcoins are either stupid or novelty coins, I think the sub-forum should be enforced on coins that are clearly for novelty purposes. DOGE Dogecoin is a perfect example and it alone is taking so much space in the forum.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1004
Keep it real
December 24, 2013, 09:45:01 PM
How do you tell the difference between a novelty-coin and an alt-coin?  To me they're pretty much the same thing except for maybe Litecoin and Namecoin.
December 24, 2013, 08:14:44 PM
And I feel that all non-bitcoins should be removed from these forums!

Look at you're "unread posts since last visit" and see half of the page is Alternate Cryptocurrencies
This is the Bitcointalk forums!
True, but alternate cryptocurrencies don't get in the way of bitcoin discussion in any way since it keeps to its own sub-forum. Novelty coins on the other hand do get in the way of regular cryptocurrencies. As long as everything has its own sub-forum that doesn't leak, it's good to have a single central for all cryptocurrency discussion.
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001
Okey Dokey Lokey
December 24, 2013, 07:40:43 PM
And I feel that all non-bitcoins should be removed from these forums!

Look at your "unread posts since last visit" and see half of the page is Alternate Cryptocurrencies
This is the Bitcointalk forums!
December 24, 2013, 07:36:33 PM
The Alternate Cryptocurrencies sub-forum has been flooded with all these ridiculous novelty coins. I think Alternate Cryptocurrency forum should be dedicated to cryptocurrencies that actually try to be something more than a joke. Moving all novelty coins to their own forum would clean up the place a lot (most posts are about novelty coins or giveaways, pools, etc. for those coins) and leave more room for actual cryptocurrencies (even though a lot of them are scams but that's a bit harder to fix). Alternate cryptocurrencies are going to become an even bigger joke and the whole reputation of bitcoin and the bitcoin community will also suffer from it if the separation between obvious novelty coins and alternate cryptocurrencies is done.
Pages:
Jump to: