Author

Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com - page 1682. (Read 3049501 times)

donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
September 11, 2013, 09:19:15 AM
IS a rig that didn't get delivered on time because it doesn't yet exist "intangible"?

No the product being sold is tangible.  If it isn't delivered due to fraud that doesn't make it intangible.  Intangible product would be things like steam game code, virtual currency, webhosting, development work, etc.
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
September 11, 2013, 09:13:24 AM

My theory is this: They won't announce anything. They'll simply start providing tracking numbers to customers. Let the customers spread the word like fire to a pinetree farm. That'll be the best announcement which could ever be made.

Paul Revere's ride would hold nothing compared to KNC customers screaming they have tracking numbers.

You had me at hello....this would be an awesome way to let the news drop.

We'll actually see our units hashing on our pool accounts before they send them.

I don't think so.

Remember they stated that they ship on the day of production.
Put in a tracking-number for a day1 order, then you'll see  'Shipping on day 1 of production'
for ex. http://i43.tinypic.com/29e6p8p.jpg (found via google)

They will tell us some days before they start shipping, to ensure everyone can take a day off in order to be at home when the postman rings the bell.

I think it's likely they'll at least make sure the boxes connect to the pools and hash for a minute or 2 without HW errors. They're programming the mining info into the boxes prior to shipment, so I'd imagine it wouldn't take much more effort to test. Unless they're using SD cards or similar storage to hold the mining stuff, and someone will simply be doing that ala text file
Activity: 1176
Merit: 265
September 11, 2013, 09:12:29 AM
Paypal just sent me an email about their policy update. https://cms.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/?&cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/upcoming_policies_full

Interesting stuff about payment protection changes in there.

Suspension of eligibility

We may suspend your eligibility for PayPal seller protection if, over the past 30 days:

the total monetary amount of “Buyer Returns” (being Chargebacks, Claims, and (as they relate to Unauthorised Payments only) Reversals) issued against your PayPal Account (no matter where the transaction takes place and whether on or outside of eBay) was equal to or greater than 1% of the total monetary amount of payments received in your PayPal Account during that 30 day period; and

at least 100 Buyer Returns were issued against your PayPal Account.

We will lift the suspension after 90 days, provided that, over the past 90 days:

the monetary amount of Buyer Returns issued against your PayPal Account was below 1% of the total monetary amount of payments received in your PayPal Account during that time; and

fewer than 300 Buyer Returns were issued against your PayPal Account.

We will notify you by e-mail if we suspend or lift the suspension of your eligibility for PayPal seller protection.

…

11.10 What are examples of items/transactions/cases that are not eligible for PayPal seller protection?

Intangible items, licenses for digital content, and services.

Items that you deliver (or are picked up) in person (except for items for which you received payment through the PayPal Location Based Payments Functionality).

Transactions made through Zong, Website Payment Pro (PayPal Direct Payment and Virtual Terminal).

Claims, Chargebacks and Reversals for Significantly Not as Described; and/ or claims filed directly with eBay.

PayPal Business Payments."

IS a rig that didn't get delivered on time because it doesn't yet exist "intangible"?

I'd imagine if BFL took PP there's going to be some problems over there, not so much here hopefully but it's good to know these changes to small print you rarely read before it becomes crucial I think.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
September 11, 2013, 09:06:19 AM
either board would be fine, but I would prefer the "Beaglebone Black" just for convenience and would be cool to have monitor attached (even a 7 inch mini monitor) 24/7

The "non-black" version of BB is double the cost and they don't need any of the capabilities it brings.  I doubt they would use a $100 host when the $45 one fits their needs better.  Also notice in the KNC host photo there is no PMIC expansion connector (black rectangle) between the ethernet & power connectors.  That connector is present on the BB "standard" and not on the BB black.

KNC Host:

BeagleBone

BeagleBone Black

Activity: 322
Merit: 250
September 11, 2013, 08:52:09 AM
Okay, so that was quick:

"We wanted to provide more headroom to be able to push our chips beyond our current quoted performance approximations, and therefore we needed a faster processor.

/M"

Even faster...
Margins upon margins upon margins.

Under Promise.
Over Deliver.
Activity: 476
let's have some fun
September 11, 2013, 08:01:22 AM

My theory is this: They won't announce anything. They'll simply start providing tracking numbers to customers. Let the customers spread the word like fire to a pinetree farm. That'll be the best announcement which could ever be made.

Paul Revere's ride would hold nothing compared to KNC customers screaming they have tracking numbers.

You had me at hello....this would be an awesome way to let the news drop.

We'll actually see our units hashing on our pool accounts before they send them.

I don't think so.

Remember they stated that they ship on the day of production.
Put in a tracking-number for a day1 order, then you'll see  'Shipping on day 1 of production'
for ex. http://i43.tinypic.com/29e6p8p.jpg (found via google)

They will tell us some days before they start shipping, to ensure everyone can take a day off in order to be at home when the postman rings the bell.
Activity: 532
September 11, 2013, 07:50:29 AM
Okay, so that was quick:

"We wanted to provide more headroom to be able to push our chips beyond our current quoted performance approximations, and therefore we needed a faster processor.

/M"
Activity: 574
1.21 GIGA WATTS
September 11, 2013, 07:25:46 AM
(asked also @KnC forum)

the miner will come with a beaglebone (0) or with a beaglebone black (1)?

sorry for being pedantic but I just want to be sure since the two are quite different in terms of spec

(0) http://beagleboard.org/Products/BeagleBone
(1) http://beagleboard.org/Products/BeagleBone%20Black

true but why should it really matter. as long as they work.. and get you a miner when they say they do is what matters!

sure you're right the main things is that the miner has to mine Tongue

but regarding your "why" this is one of the b/c :

If you have to troubleshoot network connection problems and need to see startup logs and/or change settings, then a keyboard and monitor will be important.

another one that I can add is that the more powerful the linux controller will be the better will be for miner usability.
e.g. let say you want to add a vpn client (like  this one: http://www.ntop.org/products/n2n/) to monitor remotely your miner, I'd dare to say that you will have a higher probability to  succeed in case KnC have taken the BB black route

either board would be fine, but I would prefer the "Beaglebone Black" just for convenience and would be cool to have monitor attached (even a 7 inch mini monitor) 24/7

with the "Beaglebone" not the "Black" version, it seems to have an "USB to virtual Ethernet" so you can connect directly through USB to configure and troubleshooting.

see link: http://beagleboard.org/Getting%20Started#step2

PS. would be wise to brush up on some basic Linux commands before getting your KnCminer.
September 11, 2013, 07:22:14 AM
I stand corrected regarding the SO-DIMM.

fwiw I can say that I was sure they would have used the a SO-DIMM device developed by OrSoC...

That's my fault. I said they would be using their ORSoC SO-DIMM based on the fact they told me they were doing so at the open-day. I'll fire Marcus a mail, and see if he responds with the reason behind what ditching their own Linux based controller for the Beaglebone was. It's got to be cost, and/or performance related.

If I get a response, i'll share it here. Wink

Could be a really good move, especially for the HDMI-out as another member pointed out. This would definitely put this into a high class mining group. If I had money I'd order Jupiters haha, I love the simple/efficient design, and it seems like every change is always for the better. This is why I love working with engineers so much.. it's always an improvement.
September 11, 2013, 07:19:13 AM
[12:06 AM]   Searing : although kncminer and others offerting regular credit card stuff etc plus paypal etc may have to be addressed by bfl someday ....people are (less monarch upgrades who are stuck ) are gonna be cautions on pre-orders from now on and use cc imhjo
[12:06 AM]   BFL_Josh : We'll see if they are still in business in 6 months.

I'm sure BFL will still be in the business of scamming n00bs in six months, which is sad.

It's kind of amazing he doesn't even believe it's possible for a company to just say what it's going to do, when it's going to do it, and then actually deliver.

I question if BFL will be open in a year's time to even be taking orders, though I'm sure they'll do their best to continue taking preorders from court even while sitting at their hearing. Enough complaints are piling up that it's reaching the right legal ears. More folks need to file official complaints to break the dam. Their entire production line has all but come to a halt over the past 13 days (minus a rig or two), and it's gotten even some stalwart BFL supporters worried.

Maybe I missed it, but there shouldn't be a bitbet on KNC delivering, it should be on how long until the folks at BFL are hauled off to court, and their location shut down.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
September 11, 2013, 06:31:26 AM

fwiw I can say that I was sure they would have used the a SO-DIMM device developed by OrSoC...

That's my fault. I said they would be using their ORSoC SO-DIMM based on the fact they told me they were doing so at the open-day. I'll fire Marcus a mail, and see if he responds with the reason behind what ditching their own Linux based controller for the Beaglebone was. It's got to be cost, and/or performance related.

don't worry bro and thanks for sending the email, and of course for sharing the response (if any)

Activity: 532
September 11, 2013, 06:28:29 AM

Mining for the hell of it.
September 11, 2013, 06:17:45 AM
another one that I can add is that the more powerful the linux controller will be the better will be for miner usability.
e.g. let say you want to add a vpn client (like  this one: http://www.ntop.org/products/n2n/) to monitor remotely your miner, I'd dare to say that you will have a higher probability to  succeed in case KnC have taken the BB black route

Okay however if they have a web/gui it may have the logs in it to help with said causes.
Activity: 262
September 11, 2013, 06:14:50 AM

Some earlier slide had a picture of the orsoc dimm. Did they replace it or is the bb in addition to the dimm?
Activity: 1176
Merit: 265
September 11, 2013, 05:55:39 AM
[12:06 AM]   Searing : although kncminer and others offerting regular credit card stuff etc plus paypal etc may have to be addressed by bfl someday ....people are (less monarch upgrades who are stuck ) are gonna be cautions on pre-orders from now on and use cc imhjo
[12:06 AM]   BFL_Josh : We'll see if they are still in business in 6 months.

I'm sure BFL will still be in the business of scamming n00bs in six months, which is sad.

It's kind of amazing he doesn't even believe it's possible for a company to just say what it's going to do, when it's going to do it, and then actually deliver.

If KnC succeed (which I'm feeling good about), you're likely to be wrong there mate, a side effect of being on time and honest as a company will destroy the business of scamming noobs...why would anyone take a risk with a company like BFL once it's proven that KnC do things right? Other companies will have to deliver or die from the day the KnC rigs arrive on time (and over spec most likely).

The back of Joshes underpants must look like the grid at Monza after all the news from KnC about things being on schedule. Smiley
legendary
September 11, 2013, 05:52:09 AM

Activity: 386
September 11, 2013, 05:33:08 AM
legendary
September 11, 2013, 05:30:46 AM
(asked also @KnC forum)

sorry for being pedantic but I just want to be sure since the two are quite different in terms of spec

true but why should it really matter. as long as they work.. and get you a miner when they say they do is what matters!

sure you're right the main things is that the miner has to mine Tongue

but regarding your "why" this is one of the b/c :

If you have to troubleshoot network connection problems and need to see startup logs and/or change settings, then a keyboard and monitor will be important.

Mining for the hell of it.
September 11, 2013, 05:16:15 AM
(asked also @KnC forum)

legendary
September 11, 2013, 05:09:07 AM
(asked also @KnC forum)

Jump to: