Author

Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com - page 1882. (Read 3049501 times)

legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1019
Be A Digital Miner
August 06, 2013, 10:26:05 AM
On a serious note though; what's the latest on KNC's progress?
Does the October shipping date seem likely?
We have no reason to believe they won't hit their ship-date at this point. The only evidence we have that they will is their claim that they are on time with everything so far.
Yes that is true, but for that kind of project they are really quiet about their project schedule. (Yes, I know: "The competitors!" Wink )
You seem pretty smart.   Can you tell me what possibly a competitor could do by knowing that you have finished your tape out?   How would that help them do anything?   Or that you have populated your board and are testing?   What would that information do for a competitor?   Would it help them get their design done faster?   Would it help them test their design?   Would it help them move up in the line at the foundry?
"competitors":  Everytime I read that I think "LIARS".  "BULLSHITTERS"
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1019
Be A Digital Miner
August 06, 2013, 10:18:48 AM
Well ... actually ... you should hear from ckolivas and myself well before the end of September ... unless ... hmm
... still no reply from them to the last email ... 4.5 days ago ...
But we cannot trust Kano because he was the guy that kept accusing yifu of mining with batch II and we all know that Yifu said he was shipping next week back in May and there was NO WAY yifu would do that to all of us....
oh wait.   Now I remember why i read kano's posts.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
August 06, 2013, 10:06:14 AM
Once these vendors get the pre-order money flowing they stop communicating in any meaningful way(or outright lying). This has been the case with bfl, avalon, & btcfpga...only time will tell if knc will be any different.
Activity: 360
August 06, 2013, 09:56:46 AM

Somewhere between jittery and downright paranoid describes my ASIC state of mind right now -- I think there are a lot of KnC customers coming from similar situations. KnC could do themselves a world of good by treading lightly on those who have invested a fair amount of money in their success. We still assume they are on track for a timely delivery, but a little reassurance couldn't hurt.
+1
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001
August 06, 2013, 09:37:22 AM
...It's a PCB board and some chips...

Then if everything is on track, when can we realistically expect to see a prototype board and chips hashing? Unless KnC is running significantly behind, or even ahead of schedule, this is not an unreasonable request...

Reading about kncminer:
Plug and play

The idea behind these boxes is to make them as simple as possible to run, he says. Closer to the shipment date, he plans to contact customers in the queue, and ask them for details including a bitcoin address. KnCMiner will then configure each device to sent bits automatically to that address when mining. It would also test each device against that wallet with those details. “Then you ship the device to them, and they plug it in, and turn it on, and walk away,” he says.
http://www.coindesk.com/a-look-inside-kncminer/

As such I would consider it more than just boards and chips, it takes time to just source simple items like cases, fans, heat syns and PSU correctly sized and in volume.  One would think if you were just waiting for chips to arrive and then be doing assembly and shipping within 2 months you'd already have some cases sitting waiting no?

I know that companies like BFL have gone too far the other way, spending mass effort on 3d rendered mockups, custom cases, even custom printed packing boxes...but KNC seems to the other end of the spectrum.
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
August 06, 2013, 09:32:19 AM
After having been a newbie victim of BFL, I was thankfully able to sell my preorder. I then ordered some loose chips via one of the Avalon group buys... Their chips were a proven technology, already out there in the wild, all they had to do was tape out and ship them, right? ... and now those are running 5 weeks late with ROI disappearing and Yifu has gone incommunicado.

Somewhere between jittery and downright paranoid describes my ASIC state of mind right now -- I think there are a lot of KnC customers coming from similar situations. KnC could do themselves a world of good by treading lightly on those who have invested a fair amount of money in their success. We still assume they are on track for a timely delivery, but a little reassurance couldn't hurt.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
- - -Caveat Aleo- - -
August 06, 2013, 09:17:05 AM
Good luck.  It took about 100 forum posts just for them to admit they are post tape-out.
August 06, 2013, 09:13:20 AM
...It's a PCB board and some chips...

Then if everything is on track, when can we realistically expect to see a prototype board and chips hashing? Unless KnC is running significantly behind, or even ahead of schedule, this is not an unreasonable request...
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
- - -Caveat Aleo- - -
August 06, 2013, 09:08:21 AM
Can I buy stuff from Bezos at Avalon.com now?
Activity: 532
August 06, 2013, 09:03:42 AM
When the chips come back from the fab, it's out of their hands till then. If you've followed BFL or Amazon, or anyone else that's done this before you should be well accustomed to their lead times. When they do have something to say there will be a flurry of info. Till then it's a waiting game, as you well know it is...

Amazon is now into mining  Grin Tongue

Pahaha Apple's spellcheck strikes again!! Well spotted, I spend more time rectifying that spellcheck then I do typing. Wink
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014
August 06, 2013, 09:01:38 AM
When the chips come back from the fab, it's out of their hands till then. If you've followed BFL or Amazon, or anyone else that's done this before you should be well accustomed to their lead times. When they do have something to say there will be a flurry of info. Till then it's a waiting game, as you well know it is...

Amazon is now into mining  Grin Tongue
August 06, 2013, 08:59:58 AM
When can we realistically expect to see a prototype running?

It seems like its time for a significant update from KnC to include a more definitive timeline with specific milestones -- the way difficulty is going, Sept. 1 is a lot different from Sept. 30.

I'm hoping KnC continues to set the bar high with regard to customer communication.

August 06, 2013, 08:57:47 AM

We have no reason to believe they won't hit their ship-date at this point. The only evidence we have that they will is their claim that they are on time with everything so far.

Yes that is true, but for that kind of project they are really quiet about their project schedule. (Yes, I know: "The competitors!" Wink )

They communicated only one concrete milestone
"Start of delivery: end of September (latest 30th September)"

(Tape-Out done "some time ago" does not count as a concrete milestone. What does "some time ago" mean? 2 minutes? Wink )

They stated several times that they are on track for the September target. But anything else until then will be a black box.
So you have to trust them and they have to trust several 3rd parties that they deliver on time.
There are some quite complex manufacturing steps (besides pure 28nm wafer manufacturing) which have to be first time right to meet the target, which are not completely under their control.

Does not feel really comfortable, but it is probably the only thing you will get until end of September.

Just seems a bit odd that they are going to start delivery in less than 2 months, but all they have on the site are a few sketchup drawings of what the box might look like.

Their products tick all the boxes and I'd love to get a hold of a Jupiter, but i think I'm going to wait until delivery starts and just be a bit behind.

Dave, there's nothing odd about it, unless you haven't read up on why that is. Once in a while we get a newbie stating something of that effect in all these new ASIC manufacturer's threads, but sketchups or fully cad rendered pretty pics, they're all the same as the products are being developed in a race against eachother to market. The only place you'll see anything more is in Avalon, BFL or ASICminer threads, the rest are 'artists impressions' until we see something of substance from somewhere. It's a PCB board and some chips, it requires nothing more than a sketchup, be more wary of pretty CAD, and nothing else behind it as housing for these boxes are the last things you need to consider. Speak to Butterfly Labs about that, they learn't that the hard way Wink
August 06, 2013, 08:55:41 AM
When can we realistically expect to see a prototype running?

It seems like its time for a significant update from KnC to include a more definitive timeline with specific milestones -- the way difficulty is going, Sept. 1 is a lot different from Sept. 30.

I'm hoping KnC continues to set the bar high with regard to customer communication.
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001
August 06, 2013, 08:50:55 AM

(Tape-Out done "some time ago" does not count as a concrete milestone. What does "some time ago" mean? 2 minutes? Wink )

They stated several times that they are on track for the September target. But anything else until then will be a black box.
So you have to trust them and they have to trust several 3rd parties that they deliver on time.
There are some quite complex manufacturing steps (besides pure 28nm wafer manufacturing) which have to be first time right to meet the target, which are not completely under their control.

Does not feel really comfortable, but it is probably the only thing you will get until end of September.

Just seems a bit odd that they are going to start delivery in less than 2 months, but all they have on the site are a few sketchup drawings of what the box might look like.

Their products tick all the boxes and I'd love to get a hold of a Jupiter, but i think I'm going to wait until delivery starts and just be a bit behind.
August 06, 2013, 08:06:19 AM
Well ... actually ... you should hear from ckolivas and myself well before the end of September ... unless ... hmm

Well 2.5 business days ago :-) Unless it was actually 4.5 business days.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
August 06, 2013, 07:43:40 AM

This.
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
August 06, 2013, 07:02:10 AM
Activity: 129
Merit: 100
August 06, 2013, 04:45:40 AM

Activity: 252
August 06, 2013, 04:28:26 AM

Jump to: