Pages:
Author

Topic: Switzerland to vote on $2,800 monthly ‘basic income’ for adults - page 2. (Read 7996 times)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250
Is this the first country doing this?
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007
if that ever goes through, then Switzerland soon won't be a neutral country anymore
Activity: 609
Merit: 501
peace
This upcoming initiative is even better and can't happen soon enough:
http://www.vollgeld-initiative.ch/english.html?&L=1

Interesting turning.

No wonder the gang is trying to stifle the direct democracy mechanism with such prospects. And we get to see the true colours of most if not all political parties in Switzerland.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1131

Interesting turning.
Activity: 609
Merit: 501
peace

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
minds.com/Wilikon
No more free money... And I was ready get fed on chocolate and cheese for life. Time to unpack... Wink

With almost all votes counted, it looks like Switzerland--which never joined the European Union (EU)--is set to reintroduce measures that would significantly reduce the free movement of people across its borders with the EU.
While the political and media establishments have argued that Switzerland's freedom of movement agreements with the European Union are crucial to the country's trade and employment figures, the Swiss people appear to have narrowly rejected the premise.
Around 51 percent are said to have voted in favour of measures which would see an effective end to the treaties that Switzerland and the European Union currently abide by, which allows any European Union citizen to move to the non-EU country.
The new rules would impose an absolute limit on the number allowed to settle in Switzerland, a move which some have argued would be detrimental to business interests in the country.
Hans Hess, the head of a Swiss electrical company said, "Innovation is the driver of the Swiss economy. That's why we need highly qualified workers inside Switzerland and from abroad."
But Independent politician Thomas Minder said, "I don't want to live like a sardine in a tin can." Minder supports the initiative, while Georg Lutz, professor of political science at the University of Lausanne Georg, told Reuters: "Many people feel this is challenging their identity, even if there isn't any concrete economic impact on a personal level."
Last year, 80,000 people moved to Switzerland from the European Union. The country has a foreign population of over 23 percent, and its unemployment rate is just 3.2 percent, compared with an EU average of 10.9 percent.
Turnout is reported to be 56.5 percent.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2014/02/09/Switzerland-votes-to-reintroduce-limits-on-immigration
Still looks like a paradise, I live in EU country with 30% unemployment among young people and minimal net wage ~$350. The situation in Europe is getting worse.

The only solution for the EU, if they keep their policy, will be to pay people not to go insane in the streets.
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
Small Red and Bad
No more free money... And I was ready get fed on chocolate and cheese for life. Time to unpack... Wink

With almost all votes counted, it looks like Switzerland--which never joined the European Union (EU)--is set to reintroduce measures that would significantly reduce the free movement of people across its borders with the EU.
While the political and media establishments have argued that Switzerland's freedom of movement agreements with the European Union are crucial to the country's trade and employment figures, the Swiss people appear to have narrowly rejected the premise.
Around 51 percent are said to have voted in favour of measures which would see an effective end to the treaties that Switzerland and the European Union currently abide by, which allows any European Union citizen to move to the non-EU country.
The new rules would impose an absolute limit on the number allowed to settle in Switzerland, a move which some have argued would be detrimental to business interests in the country.
Hans Hess, the head of a Swiss electrical company said, "Innovation is the driver of the Swiss economy. That's why we need highly qualified workers inside Switzerland and from abroad."
But Independent politician Thomas Minder said, "I don't want to live like a sardine in a tin can." Minder supports the initiative, while Georg Lutz, professor of political science at the University of Lausanne Georg, told Reuters: "Many people feel this is challenging their identity, even if there isn't any concrete economic impact on a personal level."
Last year, 80,000 people moved to Switzerland from the European Union. The country has a foreign population of over 23 percent, and its unemployment rate is just 3.2 percent, compared with an EU average of 10.9 percent.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2014/02/09/Switzerland-votes-to-reintroduce-limits-on-immigration
Still looks like a paradise, I live in EU country with 30% unemployment among young people and minimal net wage ~$350. The situation in Europe is getting worse.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
minds.com/Wilikon

Activity: 255
Merit: 250
The total taxable revenue for the entire Switzerland is around $300 billion, of which some $120 b is already being collected as tax.

Bullshit. Tax revenue as a percentage of GDP in Switzerland is about 30%. With a GDP of $646bn that makes out to $193.8bn.

edit: enlarged quote
legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 1217
Nobody likes traitors.And , no matter what he did and what good will come out of it , he is a traitor.
Simply put:

“I love treason but hate a traitor.”
― Julius Caesar

Snowden is a traitor for you? May be you are from the USA. For those outside the US, he is very much a hero who exposed the dirty tactics played by the US administration on other governments.
legendary
Activity: 2562
Merit: 1071
Nobody likes traitors.And , no matter what he did and what good will come out of it , he is a traitor.
Simply put:

― Julius Caesar

I think the word you're looking for is whistleblower. He exposed wrongdoing, widespread abuses and outright illegal activities. Following the cases of William Binney, Thomas Drake, John Kiriakou, Chelsea Manning, etc, it's pretty obvious what happens when you go through channels. What more do you want? He sacrificed a lot to reveal what he knew; should he also have given his life?
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
Wait till he tries to get out of Russia. This is going to be so funny , when he understands where he is.
They won't let him go that easily. And they will turn to all that your have said above to get all the info from him.

Well yes, Russia isn't exactly a great example of freedom and democracy, to say the least, but what does it say about the West that his best option was to stay there?

Simply put:

― Julius Caesar
legendary
Gerard Depardieu was a great actor , but how he started praising Russian , I will not look at him as a man with the same eyes.
Like Snowden , fighting for the freedom of speech and ending up hugging Putin.

If I was in Gerard Depardieu's place, I'd do the same.

I will never ever pay 75% tax. Even if that means losing some of my assets, I'd migrate to some other country having saner tax rules. And why you want to single out Depardieu? Hundreds of French VHNWIs have migrated to other European nations such as Monaco and Germany. No need to single out Depardieu because he chose the East. 

And regarding Snowden, I support whatever he has done. The amount of courage shown by him was immense. And Putin was the only ruler with balls to grant him refugee status.
legendary
Wait till he tries to get out of Russia. This is going to be so funny , when he understands where he is.
They won't let him go that easily. And they will turn to all that your have said above to get all the info from him.

Well yes, Russia isn't exactly a great example of freedom and democracy, to say the least, but what does it say about the West that his best option was to stay there?
Gerard Depardieu was a great actor , but how he started praising Russian , I will not look at him as a man with the same eyes.

I don't know about Depardieu, but if Snowden's only options are either staying in Russia or being sent to the US to be jailed, held incommunicado, possibly tortured, and having to wait for months before he even has a chance of appearing before a trial like Manning, I'd say Russia looks good by comparison.

legendary

I don't know about Depardieu, but if Snowden's only options are either staying in Russia or being sent to the US to be jailed, held incommunicado, possibly tortured, and having to wait for months before he even has a chance of appearing before a trial like Manning, I'd say Russia looks good by comparison.

legendary
You make 10 million a year and you got to work because unless you go , you're gonna end up losing them.
If you would be be making 10 millions but the state is taking 9.8 to give it to the idiot next door , why should you even bother?

Rather than stop working, I'd pack my bags and move to some saner country. Just like what Gerard Depardieu did after Hollande raised taxes to 75%.  Grin
Activity: 40
HONEY BOO BOO

money isnt shit. sorry about the language. but money isnt shit. money is to land as gas is to a car. people wont live well, people wont be able to live free-er. what can you do with gas and no car.. NOTHING.

think about at. immediately after the population has extra money to spend, they will all approach a higher cost of living. after all why would money be needed if people were living their ideal living situation..? SO, after people start living in their higher cost of living, (RENT, PAYMENTS, CONSUMER GOODS) the demand for all these things will up, and so will the price. ARGUMENT OVER.

every post on this thread discussing:  would you continue working? , 2.8k to stop working...,  is it fair?, how much is too much? ......... ALL OF IT IS BESIDES THE POINT

granting people a monthly income is no different than raising the minimum wage. supply and demand / and inflation will quickly inhibit their purchasing power.

if some sort of safety net is the ideal situation to have establish, then government back resources is that answer. keeping our governments accountable for a basic well being & the wealth of people is where its at.

i prefer the idea about the 1:12 pay ratio an employer can pay themselves.  wages need to be tided in with profits & losses and with relation of percentages. this could still be taken advantage of by a bureaucratic system, with fines and fees, but the issues within the government and within the workplace have always been two separate issues.

Strange you all presume the only reason people work is because they have to.

If that were true nobody would be running the world anyway. You make 10 million a year you know what you do? You get up early every morning and go to work.

Seems the confusion is believing people should either work somewhere they hate or starve to death.

Really this whole argument is about dishwashers and status. You want someone to wash your dishes and not get paid shit for it. So you need a starving class. If they all make 2,800 a month they won't wash the dishes for 8 bucks an hour.

I think it is too high but aside from that it's the right way to go. People will still work, they just won't have to, make a better world for sure. And don't tell me about the budget/allocation whatever all the money is fake anyway.

Bitcoin excepted.

You make 10 million a year and you got to work because unless you go , you're gonna end up losing them.
If you would be be making 10 millions but the state is taking 9.8 to give it to the idiot next door , why should you even bother?
Pages:
Jump to: