Pages:
Author

Topic: Taproot proposal - page 9. (Read 11253 times)

legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 7410
Crypto Swap Exchange
May 28, 2021, 08:04:18 AM
Pre-taproot nodes (and miners) will not relay or mine taproot spends.

I forget the detail of backward compatibility, so i'll just ask it. Why pre-taproot won't relay taproot-transaction? Is it because the transaction missing witness and the (empty ?) script automatically treated as valid script?
staff
Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382
May 27, 2021, 06:22:00 PM
Up to that point if a majority of the miners downgraded (or never actually upgraded - just signalled) it would not manage to actually maintain the longest chain so if someone published a currently valid tx that was invalid under taproot we would have a chain split... (I think I am right on this?)
The purpose of the delayed activation is to give plenty of time for everyone to upgrade.

Bitcoin doesn't follow the longest chain, it follows the longest valid chain-- and at least to upgraded parties any taproot-invalid chain wouldn't be valid.  So the idea is that it doesn't even matter too much if such an invalid chain is created, as it'll just get ignored and the effect would just be some hashrate vanishing (until the losses cause them to wake up and fix their stuff Smiley).  And this holds no matter how much hashrate there is...

Of course, parties who aren't transacting and are asleep at the switch might not have upgraded but if they're not accepting transactions in realtime it doesn't much matter what chain they are on. Smiley

So I think that really takes the wind out of the chaos conspiracy theory. Tongue  But it's a good reason to get major exchanges and other influential parties that accept a lot of payments to confirm that they've upgraded prior to activation.

Also, "someone published" isn't sufficient.  Pre-taproot nodes (and miners) will not relay or mine taproot spends.  So the only way a block could be created with an invalid spend in it is if some miner intentionally did so (or at least lobotomized the protection out of their node), even if their software wasn't upgraded.
Activity: 438
Merit: 291
May 27, 2021, 05:56:22 PM
No one is saying it has locked in already.  They're saying we're on course to achieve lock in next period.

And technically even after it has locked in we have to wait till November before the 1st tx's and so the 1st Blocks with it in.

Up to that point if a majority of the miners downgraded (or never actually upgraded - just signalled) it would not manage to actually maintain the longest chain so if someone published a currently valid tx that was invalid under taproot we would have a chain split... (I think I am right on this?)

So if you enjoy a good conspiracy theory can run with that scenario... which really would be chaos... BitcoinCash/SV all over again but with Core having the lower hash rate - and nobody maintaining longest chains codebase!

legendary
Activity: 3724
Merit: 3063
Leave no FUD unchallenged
May 25, 2021, 11:51:51 AM
I request immediately gmaxwell and achow101 to address the following concerns regarding taproot:

Citizens of the United States of America pushing very hard for taproot, they go far as straight lying: https://twitter.com/adam3us/status/1396888227538145294

Neither this period nor the previous period reached 90% but in the USA everyone is celebrating the taproot lock-in.

Why I have that feeling that Bitcoin price is plummeted not because of Elon Musk, but because of Taproot?

People in the USA celebrating also that in China miners having a bad time, so how the hell they can celebrate taproot lock-in when those who signals the majority are Chinese miners.

I don't even wanna mention Foundry USA and Blockstream.

The moderator on this board achow101 is the main person who spreading fake news online regarding taproot.

You seem to be misinterpreting.

Quote from: achow101's Twitter
We now have ~95% the hashrate fully signaling for Taproot, so Taproot should lock in during the next signaling period.

No one is saying it has locked in already.  They're saying we're on course to achieve lock in next period.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 15144
Fully fledged Merit Cycler - Golden Feather 22-23
May 25, 2021, 06:10:35 AM

If the daily average continue to stays above 90%, taproot should be locked in on next period (about 18 days).

It would be important for the bitcoin community (whatever this means) to see universal supporto of a non controversial upgrade, while other subjects propose controversial agreements on different topics.

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
May 25, 2021, 04:07:27 AM
We see percentage hovering around 90%.
This bode well for next period, with all. the known caveats about how this website computes the harshpower!
Yes, but as I checked it recently, the percentage is now over 96%

BTC.com has signalled with all of their last 7 blocks!
I noticed Rawpool are signalling already, also most likely that BTC.com are fully signalling.
May 25, 2021, 03:13:01 AM
If their last block was a signalling block their 10% is included (so jumps to 94%) if their last block was not signalling they are not included so rate drops to 84%.

I think BTC.com said on twitter they should be signalling full time by end of this week. Assuming they do then is a dead cert for next period - otherwise will be very tight!

Looks like we are there!  Grin

BTC.com has signalled with all of their last 7 blocks!

So assuming no miner changes their mind will lockin around the Sat 12th June.
legendary
May 24, 2021, 02:59:45 AM
Nice addition to taproot.watch

They now added a "Stats" tab where you can look at the graph of Taproot activation percentage:

We see percentage hovering around 90%.
This bode well for next period, with all. the known caveats about how this website computes the harshpower!

legendary
Activity: 3122
Merit: 7618
Cashback 15%
May 24, 2021, 01:58:32 AM
yay Cool💪👌

Yesterday was the first full day with over 90% Taproot signalling blocks!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/nj1z6o/yesterday_was_the_first_full_day_with_over_90/

in addition, taproot.watch has now created a stats, in which you can better represent the signalling
https://taproot.watch/stats
staff
Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382
May 21, 2021, 06:50:52 PM
It's normal for pools to have multiple servers.  Some have upgraded partially for risk reduction reasons, presumably they'll go ahead and upgrade the rest when they're confident that the upgrade is stable.

Taproot.watch now has a "Potential" field, which counts all partially signaling pools as fully signaling pools all the time (instead of only when their latest block signaled).  It currently reads 95.61% --- meaning if BTC.com & others who are partially upgraded fully upgrade before the next window it is extremely likely that it will lock in during that window.

legendary
May 21, 2021, 06:42:49 PM
I don't know if the guys at Taproot.watch read this thread, but today they modified their website like the following:

So now they consider the %age of the hash rate currently signalling. Again, they look only at the last block, and the hashrate is considered all signalling, even if the actual percentage of "green" blocks amongst the ones mined by the pool is reduced. 
The potential hash rate is the sum of all the miners who have signalled at least one block.

Again, pretty creative, but in the end, the result doesn't change much: we are getting there.

legendary
Activity: 3122
Merit: 7618
Cashback 15%
May 21, 2021, 02:41:47 PM

1006 blocks out of 2016, 741 of which signaled. Looking decent. 74% at near the half-way mark, maybe that will improve.

https://twitter.com/BitcoinMemeHub/status/1388882687755227150

i think that the whole signaling procedure will find a positive and relatively quick end after all  Wink Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071
May 21, 2021, 12:06:44 PM
Price could drop to $1 and all the miners switch to Bitcoin Cash too and us never get to another reset period.. lots of things can still go wrong you are correct Wink

yeeeeesss... o_O

it's slightly more likely that more hashrate will be added/removed than those things though. slightly

May 21, 2021, 11:01:13 AM
hashrate can be added or removed at any time. So maybe. But it looks pretty positive.

Price could drop to $1 and all the miners switch to Bitcoin Cash too and us never get to another reset period.. lots of things can still go wrong you are correct Wink
legendary
May 21, 2021, 10:55:47 AM
Assuming they do then is a dead cert for next period - otherwise will be very tight!

hashrate can be added or removed at any time. So maybe. But it looks pretty positive.

1006 blocks out of 2016, 741 of which signaled. Looking decent. 74% at near the half-way mark, maybe that will improve.
May 21, 2021, 10:09:59 AM
I think the percentage on the taproot.watch site is calculated by looking at the percentage of blocks each pool has produced in this period (its % hash rate).

It then sums the % hash rate (over the current period) of all the pools that signalled on their LAST block.

So is effectively forward looking.

But annoyingly BTC.COM has only partly upgraded their infrastructure. So only about 1/3 of their blocks are signalling. They count for about 10% hash rate.

If their last block was a signalling block their 10% is included (so jumps to 94%) if their last block was not signalling they are not included so rate drops to 84%.

I think BTC.com said on twitter they should be signalling full time by end of this week. Assuming they do then is a dead cert for next period - otherwise will be very tight!
Activity: 204
Merit: 437
May 21, 2021, 06:57:09 AM

Percentage of recently (last 144) signaling blocks is 86.8% = 125/144

https://taproot.watch shows the percentage of current period (73.5% right now) above red/green blocks at the right, but for some reason only before it's clear that current period couldn't lock-in (before 202 non-signaling blocks).

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
May 21, 2021, 06:22:45 AM
I think you read the statistic incorrectly, if you think "count": 725, means 72.5% block signal Taproot, then it's incorrect. According to "help getblockchaininfo", it refers to number of block which signal taproot. CMIIW.

Code:
"taproot": {
      "type": "bip9",
      "bip9": {
        "status": "started",
        "bit": 2,
        "start_time": 1619222400,
        "timeout": 1628640000,
        "since": 681408,
        "statistics": {
          "period": 2016,
          "threshold": 1815,
          "elapsed": 987,
          "count": 725,
          "possible": false
        },
        "min_activation_height": 709632
      },
      "active": false
    }
  },

Code:
 "count" : n,                    (numeric) the number of blocks with the version bit set in the current period

no, I'm doing 725 / 987 = 0.7345 (see, I told you it was climbing Smiley )

my interpretation is that "count" signifies "blocks signalling taproot BIP9, in this 2016 block difficulty period" and that "elasped" signifies "total blocks mined out of this 2016 block difficulty period"

I think the difficulty period and the signalling period are synonymous, I'm just trying to simplify the details (plus I'm not sure either Tongue)

I am not running Bitcoin core or any full node, but with what I calculated from https://taproot.watch/, Carlton Banks is right as it is the same as my calculation here while used 726 signalling blocks and 262 non-signalling blocks.

From the site, I got this data

• 726 signalling blocks
  • 1028 upcoming blocks
  • 262 non-signalling blocks

But to know the present total percentage of the blocks that signalled, I excluded the upcoming blocks, so I used only signalling and non-signalling blocks for it.

Signalling blocks + non-signalling blocks = recent total blocks mined (2016 height)

726 + 262 = 988

Percentage of signalling blocks = signalling blocks divided by total recent block mined (within 2016 block height) multiply by 100

Percentage of signalling blocks = 726 ÷ 988 * 100 = 73.48

Percentage of recent signalling blocks = 73.48

legendary
May 21, 2021, 06:00:19 AM
I think you read the statistic incorrectly, if you think "count": 725, means 72.5% block signal Taproot, then it's incorrect. According to "help getblockchaininfo", it refers to number of block which signal taproot. CMIIW.

Code:
        },
      },
    }
  },

Code:
 "count" : n,                    (numeric) the number of blocks with the version bit set in the current period

no, I'm doing 725 / 987 = 0.7345 (see, I told you it was climbing Smiley )

my interpretation is that "count" signifies "blocks signalling taproot BIP9, in this 2016 block difficulty period" and that "elasped" signifies "total blocks mined out of this 2016 block difficulty period"

I think the difficulty period and the signalling period are synonymous, I'm just trying to simplify the details (plus I'm not sure either Tongue)
legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 7410
Crypto Swap Exchange
May 21, 2021, 05:34:01 AM
Taproot won’t be activated in this period.

As I write we are above 78.08%: only 12% missing. Not so bad  Wink

hmm, checking the stats on my node (using bitcoin-cli getblockchaininfo), only 72.5% of blocks have signalled this difficulty period. Maybe I'm reading it wrong?

whatever the true stats are, the number is clearly climbing.

Code:
        },
      },
    }
  },

Code:
 "count" : n,                    (numeric) the number of blocks with the version bit set in the current period
Pages:
Jump to: