Pages:
Author

Topic: That feeling having your first merit on Bitcointalk - page 2. (Read 664 times)

legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1063
apart from that you can't even participate in signature campaign which is very bad because you can make extral cash by participating in signature campaign.
that's just how it is. if you really want to continue increasing your rank and join a campaign, look for inspiration, tips, etc... there are members here in the forum who registered after the merit system was introduced and is now legendary rank. if I remember correctly they have some advice to all members on what they should do to contribute to the forum and increase their rank at the same time.

The first day I got my first merit I was very happy and I knew that was just the beginning.
had the same feeling
legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 10532
There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain
Congratulations on your first merit <…>
Wow..  I am so much happy for you <…>
One of the things to try to do is to at least skim through most of the thread (except WO and such), to get a general composition on the flow of the conversation, besides the glimpse that the thread’s title may provide on it’s own. Halfway through the second page of this thread we discover that the OP was banned, rendering the joy for the OP’s first merit pretty stale in comparison to his (account’s) final outcome.

Seriously it is very annoying being a newbie without merit you can't really talk on bitcoin talk because people believe you are a new to the forum and your decisions those not count <…>
I didn’t perceive this, although the somebody referred to me as a newbie, it kind of felt like they’d taken me back to my teens. What’s logically true is that many accounts with a certain rank and presence on the forum will have gained specific knowledge over time that takes a while to achieve, thus helping to make their narrative more fluid on given matters. Of course, we’ll find plenty of counter-examples of illiterate high-ranked accounts, and seasoned newbie accounts.
Activity: 896
Merit: 653
Wow..  I am so much happy for you, but thou, there is always a first time for everything, and you just got your first merit, which I am hoping to get mine very soon... Cheers
Activity: 1344
Merit: 907
Seriously it is very annoying being a newbie without merit you can't really talk on bitcoin talk because people believe you are a new to the forum and your decisions those not count apart from that you can't even participate in signature campaign which is very bad because you can make extral cash by participating in signature campaign. The first day I got my first merit I was very happy and I knew that was just the beginning.
Activity: 45
Merit: 1

Congratulations on your first merit. Grin
I was very surprised when I got the merit for the first time. It was a kind of affirmation and encouragement.
I hope I can provide quality articles to the forum.
let's work hard together.
Activity: 48
Merit: 24
Welcome to this forum and congratulations for your first merit as well as the rank you have, Jr. member.

With that rank, you can post images but don't upload too much images. Some people with bad internet bandwith will get troubles with images upload and each page with images. If you want to upload images, resize them first.

[GUIDE] How to change desired image as Bitcointalk avatar size using app.

Merit does not decide your quality or your contributions. Indeed, your contributions and your post quality decide how many merits you will receive.

You're likely not a spammer so please keep up your good works and don't mind much about merit. Merit will find you.

As a newbie, I feel very warm and encouraging when I see your words. As long as I insist on doing valuable things, don't care too much about the number of merits.
If I could bloom like a flower, I am sure butterflies would all come to me.
Activity: 1064
Merit: 343
Hhampuz is the best manager
Quote from: jamyr link=topic=5337846.msg57553433#msg57553433 .

[/quote
I was very convinced OP is on the road to be doing good in this forum but then,

Thats why we have the rules and regulations to this forum in order to guide newbies awareness but some newbies did not  read thats why the resosn that some newbies got banned.

To the newbies who read this
I suggest to all newbie that you must read the instructions or the rules and regulations about to This forum. You can post here in beginners and help then ask a suggestion or ask for help

For Seniors we are model to newcomers so that we must help our newbie if they forgot to put a link on their thread we can reply to their thread and say you've forgot the link buddy you are plagiarizing please edit your thread and gave the resources. But in a 2-3 days they did not edited their Post and then we report it. At least we try our Best to help them.
Activity: 1750
Merit: 373
<------

Congratulations on your first merit. Yep, it can be really euphoric and it may lead you into posting better in hopes of gaining another merit.
Merit is addictive. lol

Come on, no offense but I don't think we can call this hard work.. 32 posts in total out of which 10 are in off-topic, 2 are bounty registrations and the majority of others are quite useless .. There's so much space left for you to grow, merits don't come from bounty registrations or useless posts!

Try to actively participate in the community with some useful stuff if you want merits. Read and learn new stuff about Bitcoin and whenever you see some newbie asking a question you know an answer to, jump in and help. If I were to count all your posts since December, you'd have about 6-7 posts per month.. that's 1, max 2 per week! How do you expect merits to come when you don't even post much at all? Cheesy

Good luck m8, but I really suggest you to spend more time here if you want to receive some merit Tongue

In my opinion, this is not the best way to encourage newcomers, as I think your comment belittles an achievement that he is very proud of. We must educate, not intimidate newcomers.

I was very convinced OP is on the road to be doing good in this forum but then,

<…>
Were it not for the fact that the OP is banned, probably for plagiarism as was stated here:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.57215380

Going from being overjoyed when receiving the first Merit, to being banned a few weeks later must be a bummer. "Pledging to create value" does conflict to a large extent with copying and pasting extracts, rather than trying to provide something more authentic (or at least adding the damn reference links ffs).

Seriously OP got banned? Man, what a roller coaster of emotions present in this thread.

There are lots of newbies who tried their very best to earn and receive merit but there are others who shortcut their way by plagiarizing articles without providing any links or sources. Unfortunately, if you want to earn a merit, you have to be original. Like what I previously mentioned, those who shortcut the process often suffers the consequences- as for OP, he deserved to be banned due to his plagiarism.

That's why now I'm skeptical of meriting newbies. A few weeks back, it happened to one guy that I merited; from Jr to Member. Within the next few hours, he blatantly plagiarized the contents of a crypto term page. *facepalm*

I think the reason on why you merit someone is highly due to the fact of the post/thread they contributed and not purely because of their rank. Although I do understand it is slightly a waste to send merits to someone who gets subsequently banned, the fact still remains that they've contributed something useful and that should be the redeeming factor.

Very disappointing to see somebody who pledged to add something of value to the table then all of a sudden got the hammer for just missing citing reference. Grrrrr.

Merit must have given the OP something that felt very good that he resorted into stealing other works just for another dose. lol
Activity: 2212
Merit: 786
<…>
Were it not for the fact that the OP is banned, probably for plagiarism as was stated here:

Going from being overjoyed when receiving the first Merit, to being banned a few weeks later must be a bummer. "Pledging to create value" does conflict to a large extent with copying and pasting extracts, rather than trying to provide something more authentic (or at least adding the damn reference links ffs).

Seriously OP got banned? Man, what a roller coaster of emotions present in this thread.

There are lots of newbies who tried their very best to earn and receive merit but there are others who shortcut their way by plagiarizing articles without providing any links or sources. Unfortunately, if you want to earn a merit, you have to be original. Like what I previously mentioned, those who shortcut the process often suffers the consequences- as for OP, he deserved to be banned due to his plagiarism.

That's why now I'm skeptical of meriting newbies. A few weeks back, it happened to one guy that I merited; from Jr to Member. Within the next few hours, he blatantly plagiarized the contents of a crypto term page. *facepalm*

I think the reason on why you merit someone is highly due to the fact of the post/thread they contributed and not purely because of their rank. Although I do understand it is slightly a waste to send merits to someone who gets subsequently banned, the fact still remains that they've contributed something useful and that should be the redeeming factor.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
You can always put the merit/s you intend to give to that newbie on hold if you are unsure if his post is original or not until you check it a bit more. Run a few sentences from it through a search engine and see if it comes back with anything. Or import the whole thing in a plagiarism checker and compare the results. If you are still in doubt, wait and see if he is still around one week or month from now.

But it's not really a big deal and it's not like anyone will get into trouble for meriting a user who eventually gets banned. If you check the list DdmrDdmr shared, you will see a lot of familiar names and many of them are high-ranked and merit sources. The general idea is to award good posts with merits but every now and then we end up meriting the wrong people and posts.       
I tend to be rather dubious if I see the style of a decent post being distant from the usual type of posts made by the poster, or if the content bears complicated terms or expressions that are not common to come-across.

Of course one may be looking at a certain post, and not be remotely aware of what lies in the prior posts (or post to come for that matter). Eventually, you come to terms with the idea of giving a brief scrutiny to unknown profiles, knowing that somebody will eventually likely catch the cheaters out at some point.

I’ve only merited 6 (later to be) permanently banned users over the last 180 days, which is not bad considering (see https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=merit;stats=topsendban). Can’t be too overzealous though …

Damnnn, our OG taking the lead Grin

Well, that's the problem with the newbies. While ranking up is easier for them, the same applies when it comes to (un)intentionally tripping the plagiarism flag.

Not to mention that they primarily try to grab some Merits, which they eventually leave should they fail.

In my opinion some newbies are spontaneous it comes to posting, because they know that if they can make a thread there is possible that they can earn merit . Without farther knowledge here in Forum, they post what comes up to their mind then they make a Thread with a common topic.
Then if they don't know what to do next or to put next on their topic they search it to Google then copy and paste to their thread without knowing they plagiarized already cause some newbie did not read the rules and regulations  in this Forum.
then after they post their, someone reported them so that they got banned.
Activity: 1988
Merit: 527
FREE passive income eBook @ tinyurl.com/PIA10
I tend to be rather dubious if I see the style of a decent post being distant from the usual type of posts made by the poster, or if the content bears complicated terms or expressions that are not common to come-across.

Of course one may be looking at a certain post, and not be remotely aware of what lies in the prior posts (or post to come for that matter). Eventually, you come to terms with the idea of giving a brief scrutiny to unknown profiles, knowing that somebody will eventually likely catch the cheaters out at some point.

I’ve only merited 6 (later to be) permanently banned users over the last 180 days, which is not bad considering (see https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=merit;stats=topsendban). Can’t be too overzealous though …

Damnnn, our OG taking the lead Grin

Well, that's the problem with the newbies. While ranking up is easier for them, the same applies when it comes to (un)intentionally tripping the plagiarism flag.

Not to mention that they primarily try to grab some Merits, which they eventually leave should they fail.
legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 527
FREE passive income eBook @ tinyurl.com/PIA10
<…>

legendary
<…>

Congratulations man for your first merit and you must Thankful for Ratimov for sending for it. Hope you motivate your self to work hard. Keep it up bruh
Activity: 1400
Merit: 655
Bitcoin is achievement
You can't be patient for long and still eat Bone's, keep the quality post coming and in a short while you'll get it naturally.
The feeling is like winning the Champions League for the very first time..... you'll want to keep memories of that post and that day always.
My advice to newbies is to keep it going for the growth of bitcointalk community and forum, working hard and smart,been creative and avoiding plagiarism... getting merits for the first time motivates one to be more engrossed in improvement of his /her quality post reading books not just books bitcoin related books expands ones knowledge on bitcoin.
Activity: 334
Merit: 275
I have the same feeling that I had the first time for every merit I receive not because it helps rank up but because you know someone else appreciated your reply which works it worth it when you spend a lot of time on them. 
Activity: 1400
Merit: 655
Bitcoin is achievement
I am no exception of the joy and happiness it brings been merited your very first merit on the forum bitcointalk after series of hardwork and due research in the cryptosphere. Because I feel very very much happy right now beyond bounds because it's just like a dream come true finally. And I have no other way to express my happiness but to come share it
See op, Merit award is the evidence of been hard working and also Making a contribution that can render help to the forum entirely, the ideology of the user is really a welcomed development because it can bring another innovation to the community which any one can equally adopt, in actual sense when merit is been awarded to newly admitted user in the forum  the user always happens to be excited, meaning that his or her post or comment is been valued, from this scenario, i think newbies have to follow the methods of existing user before it will lead them to community penalty.
copper member
Activity: 168
Merit: 4
It's a great thing to be recognized on Bitcoin talk, isn't it, it's a recognition of your achievements on the forum, I'm new to Bitcoin talk and am still learning this platform thoroughly to become a contributors to this platform.
Pages:
Jump to: