Pages:
Author

Topic: The altcoin topic everyone wants to sweep under the rug - page 11. (Read 24377 times)

legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
ArticMine is correct that anyone that transferring money or money equivalents that is not for their own personal use is a MSB in terms of the FinCEN guidance. Period.

Any obfuscations Dash or BitShares try to claim won't help them escape culpability.

However I don't agree with ArticMine's claim that only the FinCEN has jurisdiction. FinCEN's jurisdiction is w.r.t. to money transmission, and the SEC has an orthogonal jurisdiction w.r.t. the Howey test for illegal unregistered investment securities (which was covered in detail upthread).

In order to pass the Howey test an necessary but not sufficient condition is the presence of a centralized administrator as per the FinCEN guidance. In short the virtual currency must be centralized and not de-centralized. This centralized administrator is needed to to provide the "depending solely on the efforts of a promoter or third party." part of the Howey test. There are already examples in decentralized virtual currencies where "depending solely on the efforts of a promoter or third party." part of the Howey test has failed. Bitcoin: the XT vs Core debate. Monero: Replacing the initial developer with the current team. Dashcoin (not to be confused with Dash): The developer "sold" the coin and the community simply ignored the sale and continued as if nothing had happened.

FinCEN guidance doesn't not apply to the Howey test. FinCEN is not tasked with protecting unsophisticated investors from fraud. FinCEN's job is to fight money laundering.

The Howey test is more nuanced than that, and if a group is promoting a coin for investment purposes they may be culpable under the Howey test. I covered this in detail upthread.

All cryptocoins that being primarily distributed to speculators with no significant users of the currency, are at risk IMHO. That includes Monero and Aeon.

Giving away coins for free and keeping a portion of the pre-mine to fund development is exactly what Ripple did and FinCEN came down hard. This does make the issuer an MSB. https://www.fincen.gov/news_room/nr/html/20150505.html

FinCEN came down on Ripple for being an exchanger and a centralized administrator that was processing money transfers for third parties without registering as an MSB and applying AML/KYC controls. The sales of XRP for fiat that are violations are because Ripple was also exchanging and also able to remove supply from the market.

The Guidance also defines an administrator of virtual currency as a person or entity “engaged as a business in issuing (putting into circulation) a virtual currency, and who has the authority to redeem (to withdraw from circulation) such virtual currency.”

I don't see any mention of Ripple being in violation because of sales of coins it gained during the time of distribution whether it be premine or otherwise. The mention of the premine was just a statement of facts, not a statement of a violation. It is the fact that Ripple was acting as an exchanger and centralized administrator that tainted any sales of XRP they made.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and am merely offering my opinion for argumentative purposes. Readers, consult your own attorney.

In the statement of facts https://www.fincen.gov/news_room/nr/pdf/Ripple_Facts.pdf which is linked form the FinCEN page I quoted the following quote is very relevant. Bold my emphasis.
ATTACHMENT A:  STATEMENT OF FACTS AND VIOLATIONS
I.
INTRODUCTION AND BACKGROUND
Ripple Labs Inc. (“Ripple Labs”) is a corporation registered in Delaware and headquartered in San Francisco, California.  NewCoin,
Inc. and OpenCoin, Inc. (“OpenCoin”) are the predecessors of Ripple Labs.
Ripple Labs facilitated transfers of virtual currency and provided virtual currency exchange transaction services.
The currency of the Ripple network, known as “XRP,” was pre-mined.  In other words, unlike some other virtual currencies, XRP was fully generated prior to its
distribution.  As of 2015, XRP is the second-largest cryptocurrency by market capitalization, after Bitcoin.  
XRP Fund II, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Ripple Labs, was incorporated in South Carolina on July 1, 2013.  On July 2, 2014, XRP Fund II changed its name to
XRP II, LLC.  During a portion of the relevant timeframe, the entity was named XRP Fund II, LLC, but it will be referred to as XRP II throughout this document.
It does not say transfer for compensation. There are other violations involving exchange service etc mentioned in the document. The question is why is pre-mined even relevant here? The answer is the the guidance that I quoted above and which Ripple ignored. From the same statement of facts.

Specifically, the Guidance defines an exchanger as a person or entity “engaged as a business in the exchange of virtual currency for real currency, funds, or other virtual currency.”  The Guidance also defines an administrator of virtual currency as a person or entity “engaged as a business in issuing (putting into circulation) a virtual currency, and who has the authority to redeem (to withdraw from circulation) such virtual currency.”  

Edit: I would not touch a pre-mine without legal advice.
Activity: 420
Merit: 262
FinCEN guidance doesn't not apply to the Howey test. FinCEN is not tasked with protecting unsophisticated investors from fraud. FinCEN's job is to fight money laundering.

Somewhat true but remember "money laundering" is expansive and includes transmission of money that is the proceeds of fraud or to facilitate fraud. As such Fincen's scope reaches anti-fraud and consumer protection, often in cooperation with other agencies.

Good point. In connection with fraudulent transfer of money, FinCEN would have jurisdiction also. So in one example if a premine was fraudulent or connected with other fraudulent activity, then selling it for real money, would also be within FinCEN's jurisdiction perhaps.

I find that usually FinCEN is taking action when MSB registration and controls are not being done where they should have been. Thus I still think the SEC is the more likely regulatory body for fraudulent investment schemes.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

Somewhat true but remember "money laundering" is expansive and includes transmission of money that is the proceeds of fraud or to facilitate fraud. As such Fincen's scope reaches anti-fraud and consumer protection, often in cooperation with other agencies.

ArticMine is correct that anyone that transferring money or money equivalents that is not for their own personal use is a MSB in terms of the FinCEN guidance. Period.

Any obfuscations Dash or BitShares try to claim won't help them escape culpability.

However I don't agree with ArticMine's claim that only the FinCEN has jurisdiction. FinCEN's jurisdiction is w.r.t. to money transmission, and the SEC has an orthogonal jurisdiction w.r.t. the Howey test for illegal unregistered investment securities (which was covered in detail upthread).

In order to pass the Howey test an necessary but not sufficient condition is the presence of a centralized administrator as per the FinCEN guidance. In short the virtual currency must be centralized and not de-centralized. This centralized administrator is needed to to provide the "depending solely on the efforts of a promoter or third party." part of the Howey test. There are already examples in decentralized virtual currencies where "depending solely on the efforts of a promoter or third party." part of the Howey test has failed. Bitcoin: the XT vs Core debate. Monero: Replacing the initial developer with the current team. Dashcoin (not to be confused with Dash): The developer "sold" the coin and the community simply ignored the sale and continued as if nothing had happened.

The Howey test is more nuanced than that, and if a group is promoting a coin for investment purposes they may be culpable under the Howey test. I covered this in detail upthread.

All cryptocoins that being primarily distributed to speculators with no significant users of the currency, are at risk IMHO. That includes Monero and Aeon.

Giving away coins for free and keeping a portion of the pre-mine to fund development is exactly what Ripple did and FinCEN came down hard. This does make the issuer an MSB. https://www.fincen.gov/news_room/nr/html/20150505.html

FinCEN came down on Ripple for being an exchanger and a centralized administrator that was processing money transfers for third parties without registering as an MSB and applying AML/KYC controls. The sales of XRP for fiat that are violations are because Ripple was also exchanging and also able to remove supply from the market.

The Guidance also defines an administrator of virtual currency as a person or entity “engaged as a business in issuing (putting into circulation) a virtual currency, and who has the authority to redeem (to withdraw from circulation) such virtual currency.”

I don't see any mention of Ripple being in violation because of sales of coins it gained during the time of distribution whether it be premine or otherwise. The mention of the premine was just a statement of facts, not a statement of a violation. It is the fact that Ripple was acting as an exchanger and centralized administrator that tainted any sales of XRP they made.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and am merely offering my opinion for argumentative purposes. Readers, consult your own attorney.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team

And all this just for a zero chance to charge 50'000 USD penalty?

In the sister thread of my securities law thread, someone who claimed to be often consulting with securities law attorneys pointed out that Erik Voorhees escaped severe criminal proceedings only because he refunded all the money to the investors before the SEC could finalize their actions.

So it was much more costly than some $50,000 fine. The level of financial culpability apparently depends on the level of losses and investmentparticipation you are creating. The culpability for jail time is not so limited, especially if someone willfully violates securities law. Again no specific allegations of your case (IANAL). Erik got lucky. Maybe because his scheme was not so willfully snubbing the regulators. Yet you have CfB here acting like his Romanian cohort Mircea Popescu, who I (as AnonyMint) warned the USG will eventually "burn his finger tips up to his armpits".

Hey Putin is part of the same globalist club and this current charade is only temporary and then we will all fall into the NWO together. That is when they will burn your ass over there in Belarus.

Don't forget it was Larry Summers who was over there in Russia after the fall of the USSR to organize the distribution of the nationalized assets to the selected oligarchs who are loyal to the globalist club. Do a Youtube search on Anthony Sutton. Also "Princess of the Orient".

Don't forget who funded the Bolshevik revolution. The globalists are running the show.
I don't want to get in a fight with you. I have nothing against your project. My only concern is that all of us are getting into trouble with the law w.r.t. to unregistered investment securities. I am concerned for you guys too as well as for investors and all of us. You may be getting really poor legal advice (lawyers can make more money getting you into more trouble).

Could you please have your lawyers come debate me in my thread about what constitutes an unregistered investment security. I want to pick their brains and see who is correct. They can debate me anonymously, so they have no legal culpability.

Rather than just appeal to authority, have them come in my thread and prove their superior knowledge. All of us would surely love to see more input from real lawyers. For some reason, they are afraid to post at this forum (even anonymously).
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
Please stop lying and misrepresenting. If we're going to continue this discussion I am going to demand your full name so I can have my lawyer contact you incase you choose to continue spreading lies and slander. Back up your own words now or stop lying.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011
FUD Philanthropist™
To put this topic to bed once and for all, the head of the SEC, Ms. Kara Stein came out today and spoke positively of "blockchain technology".   

http://www.coindesk.com/sec-commissioner-kara-stein-blockchain-technology/

Nothing and absolutely nothing in her statements absolves culpability under the USA Securities law and Howey test.

You seem to completely misunderstand (and conflate) that statements about the potential of technology speak to nothing about legal implications of the rollout of technologies to investors.

Again I have warned you all that virtually all of the altcoins are ILLEGAL unregistered investment securities and by trading in them, you speculators are potentially setting yourselves up to be culpable, especially those of you who have prominent roles in the community and make statements about speculation.

Proceed at your own peril. And do consult your attorney, because IANAL.

This sounds like a healthy dose of common sense even of your a kid or noob etc.
Be careful out there guys.. all kinds of things could happen any time.

And NO TPTB_need_war since you asked i am NOT a girl LOL
I wish they got it made.. i'd find me a rich man  Cool
Activity: 770
Merit: 504

Looking at the worst offenders in cryptocurrency and would be closing in further on our unofficial “top ten” list of which Cryptsy and Project Investors will find itself to be in the Top 5.

Yes, project 'investors' and companies that outright scam their customers and fail to protect them.  

The SEC is very upset at shit this GAW and Paycon: http://www.coindesk.com/sec-files-suit-against-brother-of-gaw-miners-ceo-amid-investigation/  

I don't think they are going to take the time to go after programmers and moderators of communities of new currencies that clearly state the risk involved.  If I have ever made misleading statements (that weren't outright jokes) about any of the projects I am involved with, please refer me to them.  

The original bitcoin was treading on strange & unexplored ground, just like new altcoin currencies are treading on strange and unexplored ground.  That being said, so far US Government agencies have taken a suprisingly fair and refreshing stance on online currencies: as long as you are not hyping outright ponzis, selling shares in something that is clearly stated as a security, trying to deliberately scam money from people, or selling illegal things online they don't seem to mind.  

Both the FBI and the SEC should be commended for this - I can just as easily imagine a world where the hammer came down on every instance of "digital money" starting in 2011 and forced the whole movement underground for decades (where it would have still inevitably won, just on a longer time scale).  
from the article:

A wide variety of federal agencies have taken an interest in cryptocurrency companies over the last year, with many preparing for administrative actions and even criminal charges in early 2016. These agencies have been seen cooperating on several levels. One agent with the Securities and Exchange Commission told Coin Fire that they were,

Looking at the worst offenders in cryptocurrency and would be closing in further on our unofficial “top ten” list of which Cryptsy and Project Investors will find itself to be in the Top 5.
Activity: 19
Merit: 0
To put this topic to bed once and for all, the head of the SEC, Ms. Kara Stein came out today and spoke positively of "blockchain technology".  

Now just Chuck Rosenberg left to speak positively about Bitcoin so that we can free Ross.
Activity: 19
Merit: 0
Bitshares have made themselves legal in the eyes of the SEC by calling things what they are not.

They must have great lawyers to come up with that.

Nothing and absolutely nothing in her statements absolves culpability under the USA Securities law and Howey test.

You seem to completely misunderstand (and conflate) that statements about the potential of technology speak to nothing about legal implications of the rollout of technologies to investors.

Again I have warned you all that virtually all of the altcoins are ILLEGAL unregistered investment securities and by trading in them, you speculators are potentially setting yourselves up to be culpable, especially those of you who have prominent roles in the community and make statements about speculation.

Proceed at your own peril. And do consult your attorney, because IANAL.

You're going to launch your coin and not tell anybody about it and try to avoid [all] people knowing about it!?

I didn't write that.

I'll tell you right now, removing the speculatory and early-adopter incentives from your coin is going to absolutely destroy any economic velocity it might ever hope to have.

Observe and be schooled in marketing.

If people are not incentivized to use your currency in increasing numbers, why would they ever start using it at all?

Investors don't use a currency. I told you that up thread, but now you make me repeat it again. Everything for you looks like a nail, because you've only got a hammer.

As well, the fact that you are going to make efforts to keep 'a lid' on the launch and creation of your coin is going to absolutely ruin any chance of people later growing interested in your coin (no matter how good the protocol).

Actually it is quite the opposite.

By your logic, Bytecoin should be considered the 'true' implementation of Cryptonote since they claim to have had a 'token' for two years before it became public knowledge and people began speculating on it through exchanges.

And ~0 usership.

Rethink your strategy, as well as your legal analysis of the situation.

You need that advice, not me.

No issuance to investors. No public announcement nor offering will be made to investors. No representations nor promotions will be made to investors. That already suffices to be exempt for the Howey test in my opinion.

There will likely be no exchange for as long as I can prevent one from existing hopefully at least 6 months after coins have been issued to users, although I think this requirement is not strictly necessary since the prior paragraph is sufficient.

Ok,  Cheesy Cheesy CheesyCheesy Cheesy

Just.... please stop.  You're killing me.   Cheesy 

You're going to launch your coin and not tell anybody about it and try to avoid people knowing about it!? 

I'll tell you right now, removing the speculatory and early-adopter incentives from your coin is going to absolutely destroy any economic velocity it might ever hope to have.  If people are not incentivized to use your currency in increasing numbers, why would they ever start using it at all?  As well, the fact that you are going to make efforts to keep 'a lid' on the launch and creation of your coin is going to absolutely ruin any chance of people later growing interested in your coin (no matter how good the protocol).  By your logic, Bytecoin should be considered the 'true' implementation of Cryptonote since they claim to have had a 'token' for two years before it became public knowledge and people began speculating on it through exchanges.  Nevermind that no one had ever heard about it and 80% of it was mined by the time it was announced. 

Rethink your strategy, as well as your legal analysis of the situation.

Pages:
Jump to: