Pages:
Author

Topic: The Bitcoin Machine - page 3. (Read 724 times)

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 7340
Farewell, Leo
September 29, 2021, 12:45:58 PM
It looks cool, but I find it theft to sell the ability for one to run a Bitcoin & LN node with some extra (open source) goods for $429. I mean, come on, seriously? Is this how you'll encourage the average Joe interested in this field to run a node? That's a rip off.

It's quite expensive for a box that should just function as a bitcoin node and one would question why they needed to place a 1TB SSD inside the box when the blockchain isn't even half as large yet.
The applications it includes weight a lot. Take for instance the Electrum server. Not to mention that some people may want to try out the test net. You should cover those cases with at least 1TB of storage.
legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6231
Crypto Swap Exchange
September 29, 2021, 11:54:51 AM
Your router is also a black box and you use it every day.
I don't have to trust my router though. If it doesn't do it's job, I'll notice.

It can also do someone else's job:
https://blogs.juniper.net/en-us/security/freshly-disclosed-vulnerability-cve-2021-20090-exploited-in-the-wild
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/07/home-and-office-routers-come-under-attack-by-china-state-hackers-france-warns/

As for the device in OP, it is in the same price range that Fulmo sells the pre-built raspiblitz for and mynodebtc sells their pre-built unit for.
So, yes it's a lot more then if you did it yourself, but that is kind of the point. You are not doing it yourself, so you pay more.

To some people it's worth it, to others it will not be.

As for the security aspect of it. If you are running any of the 'node in a box' nodes you are taking some form of a leap of faith that the people who put the packages together and made the installers / configurations / etc. have not gone evil. So, I really don't know home much more of a leap it is to get the hardware prebuilt from them too.

-Dave
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
September 29, 2021, 11:38:47 AM
I don't have to trust my router though. If it doesn't do it's job, I'll notice.

This Umbrel software is all Open Source so you can check the code and assemble device yourself with Raspberry Pi
Let me put it this way: anything dedicated to Bitcoin usage is a magnet for abusers.

I would disagree that people don't need to have their own Bitcoin and LN node.
I'd argue I can use Bitcoin without my own node. Even though I have Bitcoin Core running, I don't use it for most of my transactions.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
September 29, 2021, 11:27:31 AM
I'm not a very trusting person when it comes to Bitcoin, I already have a hard time trusting a hardware wallet, so the first thing that comes to mind is having to trust all the software in this black box.
This Umbrel software is all Open Source so you can check the code and assemble device yourself with Raspberry Pi, and I would disagree that people don't need to have their own Bitcoin and LN node.

it seems like a waste if it's only running a bitcoin node.
Yeah, it's a shame it's not printing money and running cartoons 24/7  Roll Eyes
Average smartphone is about the same price and you can have lot of fun with it and even use it as vibrator and self-tracking device.
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 6660
bitcoincleanup.com / bitmixlist.org
September 29, 2021, 11:27:01 AM
It's quite expensive for a box that should just function as a bitcoin node and one would question why they needed to place a 1TB SSD inside the box when the blockchain isn't even half as large yet. If it were a box that could run other coins' nodes then I could understand this but it seems like a waste if it's only running a bitcoin node.
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
September 29, 2021, 11:23:23 AM
All you have to do it connect this device to your router with ethernet cable, turn the power on, and open umbrel.local.
I'm not a very trusting person when it comes to Bitcoin, I already have a hard time trusting a hardware wallet, so the first thing that comes to mind is having to trust all the software in this black box.

I know this is not for everyone
The "plug and play" design makes me think it's for beginners, but a beginner doesn't need their own nodes. It looks more like a cool gimmick for shops that accept Bitcoin.

It reminds me of The Internet.
legendary
Activity: 2366
Merit: 1206
September 29, 2021, 11:11:43 AM
The power of the Raspberry Pi product and now it can be used as Bitcoin Machine to run your own node.

It's always good to use Raspberry Pi, actually, I want to share this.  
I'm using the Raspberry Pi3 version for my vending machines like e-loading system and also retailing my internet connection (called us, Vendo machine) to my neighborhood.  It's all good.

You can assemble your own Bitcoin Machine if you want with following this instructions:
https://thebitcoinmachines.com/setup/
Thank you for sharing this I might try to build on my own machine and study how to run a node, I have a little knowledge and maybe I can apply it.  

BTW, a heatsink is enough to cool down the machine?  Because all machines that I have built have a small fan over the heatsink.
In that case, I just want to build my own custom board, I think we have a big discount and save a little amount of money than purchasing a finished product if we have DIY.
Activity: 882
Merit: 5829
not your keys, not your coins!
September 29, 2021, 10:28:54 AM
Looks good! I think last I checked, a Raspberry Pi setup with the best model 4, a 1TB SSD and nice case, power supply and SD card reached almost 300, so with 430 there's not a big margin. I think newbies will love this, since they have less stuff to worry about (building and setting it up correctly). I'd say it's a fair price to have it all built and ready to go.

However, I'm not sure this is the first such solution.

For example, the MyNode is basically the exact same thing from what I can see.

Edit: It seems prices have gone down a bit Cheesy Adding around 20% of VAT, depending on country, and around €80 for an SSD brings you to around €240. So $430 is almost double. I know it's a mess with GBP prices, but I calculated everything in EUR and it's €240 in total. Importing something from the US cost in vat and import fees around the same amount that is 'saved' by exchanging USD for EUR, so it'll be €430 for the Bitcoin Machine. But I'm sure there's a market for it.

If you add the case price difference of around €60, and are fine with DIYing it, you can build it yourself then for around €300. I like that they offer this option.
copper member
Activity: 2786
Merit: 1256
Try Gunbot for a month go to -> https://gunbot.ph
September 29, 2021, 10:23:14 AM
I like the idea of running your node to verify and run it for yourself. What I like about it is that it's dedicated to that use. You won't have to depend on other users to run a node for you anymore, and you can verify that it's accurate data from the network. Be a support to the network. That's the best way to show that you are all in with BTC.

Definitely for the non-tech savvy people who don't have a server to run 24/7 but still want to support the network.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
September 29, 2021, 10:17:40 AM
Non-technical users can now easily run their own Bitcoin and Lightning node with plug-and-play solution by Umbrel called The Bitcoin machine .
It has beautiful aluminum design with 1.8" display, Raspberry Pi4 with 8GB RAM and 1.6 Ghz quad-core CPU, Storage capacity 1TB or 2TB SSD and Umbrel OS.
All you have to do it connect this device to your router with ethernet cable, turn the power on, and open umbrel.local.

Price is $429 for 1TB SSD version and $559 for 2TB SSD version, and you can purchase it in five colors including orange. (Bitcoin is accepted for payment)

I know this is not for everyone, and yes you can get all this separate parts and run your own node much cheaper, or even use some old computer, but this is first easy solution for the masses.
Let's now check individual prices, Raspberry Pi4 with 8GB RAM is around $80, and 1 TB SSD drive is around $90 so I think that $429 is reasonable price for The Bitcoin Machine, and I expect other similar and cheaper options to show up in future.

https://thebitcoinmachines.com/

PS
Extra cools stuff is that sats/USD custom Bitcoin ticker is shown in display:
https://github.com/doidotech/TBM

You can assemble your own Bitcoin Machine if you want with following this instructions:
https://thebitcoinmachines.com/setup/

I am not affiliated with The Bitcoin Machine in any way.
Do your own research.
Pages:
Jump to: