Pages:
Author

Topic: The Coming Fork(s) Safety For BItcoins - page 8. (Read 2736 times)

legendary
Activity: 854
Merit: 1000
October 14, 2017, 08:59:28 AM
First of all, be aware that coin-splits can be somewhat risky — especially controversial ones like the SegWit2x fork. While it seems unlikely for now, there is a chance some kind of cyber-battle will break out, perhaps even escalating to the point where all exchange rates drop sharply. If you want to make sure not to be caught in any crossfire, it’s best to not hold more value in bitcoin than you are willing to lose.
Activity: 518
Merit: 268
October 14, 2017, 08:56:15 AM
If you have your private key stored, you're perfectly fine.
You can import this any moment in any Bitcoin wallet client, make sure it is verified safe. You can find a whole list here: https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet. So uninstalling won't be a problem as long as you have your private key stored. The fork can not accidentally change your BTC to BTG, the fork is a copy of Bitcoin's current blockchain which will split after 25 October. Every BTC you have now will correspond to one BTG. Both wallets will have the same private key, so make sure you import it to a verified BTG client. Otherwise your key can get stolen. A good solution for this is sending your BTC to a new wallet after 25 October and then importing the old wallet key in a BTG client. The safest wallet is just personal preference, Armory is in my opinion the safest wallet. But it is quite complicated. Electrum or Core are more user friendly.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
October 14, 2017, 08:23:07 AM
Just wondering, as I am reading a lot about Fork risks especially with bitcoin gold.

I have the private keys (the 12 words) safely stored.

What if I simply uninstall the wallet that has my BTC (it is Jaxx by the way) before the fork, then reinstall later and recover from the 12 keywords. Would that be ok or will be risk?

Would my BTC remain BTC or can accidentally be changed to BTG?

What safest wallet?

Your help highly appreciated.
Pages:
Jump to: