Pages:
Author

Topic: The Critical Importance Of Cryptocurrencies - What's your take? - page 2. (Read 3794 times)

legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004
Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political
however it is not hard to see that anarchy can't last long.
quickly turns to mob rule and then you have a new ruler.

I find that very hard to see.

In fact, the argument reminds me of: "Bitcoins might have value today, but they can't have value for very long.  Soon enough, everyone will want to sell and then bitcoins will become worthless."

The bitcoin argument you just posted is baseless and has nothing to do with
my point. There is a reason why anarchy doesn't work and it's
because the power hungry turn to violence and organized crime.

Nature abhors a vacuum.  

If you find that hard to see, just look at places like Detroit where
gang activity is on the rise.

I'm not saying communities can't organize and protect themselves from gangs,
But then what you have is essentially local government...not anarchy.

All you've successfully managed to argue here is that I should add you to my ignore list.

In a lawless society, how long do you think it would be before you
get a nice visit from goons selling "protection services"?   I'd love
to hear your answer to that, Mr. anarchist.

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU
It's nothing short of epochal shift that's taking place.  And it can't be stopped.
This person speaks wisely, and displays great foresight.
Activity: 21
Merit: 0
I like the idea that the cryptocurrency is decentralised. I think the real problem is that it might take a while for the mainstream society to adopt the benefits. I feel that mainstream media hates anything that is not under their control. I would literally waste time arguing to my family that Bitcoin is not "dead" nor "bankrupt" nor "worthless" out in the public. 
legendary
Activity: 1246

In fact, the argument reminds me of: "Bitcoins might have value today, but they can't have value for very long.  Soon enough, everyone will want to sell and then bitcoins will become worthless."

my point. There is a reason why anarchy doesn't work and it's

Nature abhors a vacuum.  

All you've successfully managed to argue here is that I should add you to my ignore list.
legendary

In fact, the argument reminds me of: "Bitcoins might have value today, but they can't have value for very long.  Soon enough, everyone will want to sell and then bitcoins will become worthless."

my point.  There is a reason why anarchy doesn't work and it's

Nature abhors a vacuum. 

legendary

In fact, the argument reminds me of: "Bitcoins might have value today, but they can't have value for very long.  Soon enough, everyone will want to sell and then bitcoins will become worthless."
legendary
From the blog:
However, there has been a fundamental flaw in our systems of commerce since inception – the privileged few exercising control over the most basic needs of the rest of us. We all know that this doesn’t work, but why is that so?
(emphasis mine)

I don't.  In fact, I think that it does work.
legendary
Government is needed in some form to protect individual rights ( The only valid purpose of government)

Otherwise you will have anarchy.
Truly, government is the biggest killer.

And anarchy is quite literally nothing but 'absence of any ruler'. That does not seem so bad.

yes government is biggest killer.

So, the rule of law isn't a bad thing in of itself.
legendary
Activity: 3024
Merit: 1640
lose: unfind ... loose: untight
Government is needed in some form to protect individual rights ( The only valid purpose of government)

Truly, government is the biggest killer.

And anarchy is quite literally nothing but 'absence of any ruler'. That does not seem so bad.
legendary
Eventually, many police and military will quit and join private services to get paid in crypto, and then you can kiss government goodbye forever.

Governments have an extremely poor track record of protecting rights. They have a great track record of death and destruction and violating people's rights.

You have a lot to learn.

I never said government was doing a great job.
I said its needed in some form to avoid anarchy. 
Apparently you disagree and advocate anarchy,
judging by your remarks and username.   Cool, whatever...

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
Bitcoin can solve a lot of problems that protects the seller on eBay, but it has larger implications in anonymity and protection of private information from merchants.
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003
Eventually, many police and military will quit and join private services to get paid in crypto, and then you can kiss government goodbye forever.

Governments have an extremely poor track record of protecting rights. They have a great track record of death and destruction and violating people's rights.

You have a lot to learn.
legendary

legendary
Activity: 4270
Merit: 4534
I cannot agree that money are the most influential and pervasive man-made influences on the human race today.

sex/procreation is the ultimate drive of humans. money comes just after that
legendary
Activity: 4270
Merit: 4534
1 not having to fill in paperwork, have credit checks and supply identification, purely for third parties to hold your wealth
2 not having to use these same third parties to move your wealth and be told that there are limits on how much or how often you can do it.
3 bitcoin trading between people cannot be stopped by governments. (unlike mastercard in russia)
4 anything you can do with FIAT (pay labour, buy products, invest) can be done with bitcoin. without the limitations of points 1,2&3 above.
5 bitcoin is rare, but at the same time weightless, so it is better then gold in many ways for transactions(excluding manufacturing)
Activity: 25
I cannot agree that money are the most influential and pervasive man-made influences on the human race today.
legendary
Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021
I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.
Activity: 30
The single most important action you must do is choose the correct design for your crypto-currency, as I explained at the following short post:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.5749208

All the promotion and hoopla is meaningless if your design is broken in a way that will give it all back to the power vacuum. And Bitcoin is so broken.

You are correct, it depends on the specific design. But there are many competing designs.

But Bitcoin is far from broken. It just works. It has it's flaws, but to me they are not that obtrusive. The system just works beautifully...BUT one must understand HOW it works, or they risk losing their funds. A perfect example of this is wallet maintenance and backups. People think certain wallet backups are still good but in fact are useless. People load up a paper wallet, spend a few coins, then just cross off say "50 BTC" and replace it with "45 BTC" and put the paper wallet away, forgetting about the wallet they've created on their PC or their web based wallet...and ended up with a rude shock after discovering later that they've lost the remainder of the balance on their paper wallet because they didn't understand change addresses.

The design that interests me the most is the design of Quarkcoin. Some call it a scam, but I beg to differ. 5/6ths of the coins that will be minted over the next 50 years were minted in a 6 month period. This gives it a huge stability advantage to those who are new to the cryptocurrency market. Most other cryptos are still being mined with an eventual finite supply.

To me a finite supply will eventually cause the Zilger-Hubermann loss-pattern-diffusion effect whereby the critical mass will reach its threshold much sooner than expected, and then subsequently collapse. Think the South Sea bubble. People assign Bitcoin value, so therefore it has value. But if it becomes virtually impossible to obtain new coins after a certain time frame passes, then it may well become useless. With Bitcoin and it's very finite supply of probably LESS than 20M coins (we can claim that more than 1M coins were destroyed through HDD failures, newbies who didn't understand change addresses, forgotten passphrases to encrypted wallets, lost wallet files, backup mistakes, formatted hard drives with forgotten wallets, or indeed anything that results in irrevocable loss of private keys, you could even add lost/damaged paper wallets to this list). A loss of 1M coins, you can almost bank on that. I'd be willing to bet everything I have that 1 million bitcoins were irrevocably lost by mistakes ranging from the common and simple to the rare and complex.

Bitcoin is definitely flawed. I make no bones about it. But so is virtually every one of the other cryptocurrencies...even Quarkcoin, which is my favourite crypto, is flawed in some way...but it depends on whether those flaws will affect the long-term appreciation and adoption into the mainstream usage over time.

To me, the ultimate cryptocurrency will have every feature required of a cryptocurrency for every individual ranging from the dumbest to the smartest - that is, all features FULLY open source, password protection options, wallet encryption options, backup options, paper wallet and key print out options, HD deterministic wallets that only require ONE master private key to secure and maintain, mining features fully built in that are fully optional to any user, and with programmable access to direct banking features, such as exchanges and peer-to-peer financial systems, such as p2p banks and of course bitcoin, but where one can sell or purchase this cryptocurrency with full fiat exchange.

If one could achieve this in a cryptocurrency, Bitcoin would be in an uphill battle against this new cryptocurrency. That's the truth and for bitcoiners it might be terrifying, but those are the facts. C'est la vie. I'm sure bitcoiners could produce something such as what I've described above. And in fact, with Armory and Electrum, they've done just that to a certain extent, but we still have a long way to go before we could say that Bitcoin is a completely finished product. It's still a ways to go, but I am certain we will get there, but it will be a slow process, with many hurdles to cross, and of course this will happen over time.

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU
This is the exact reason reason why people are jumping on the cryptocoin wagon, but some will be overtaken by greed.
The current fiat system is on purpose designed to enslave people through interest and at the end of it will fall so that many people loose their material life.
Interest is forbidden by God/Allah since it is an injustice system, and so are illegal collected taxes - I mean they are both from the same source (the Illuminati of whatever name you wanna give them).
Poor people are taken advantage of and the [antisemitism redacted] bankers and governments get richer and enjoy seeing people fail miserably.
Quoted for truth.
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
Crypto cannot replace fiat in foreseeable future, currently it's just payment method, not a currency. We buy/sell an item using BTC but we think about the equivalent price in fiat.

Only because many resources are held by the same people that run the fiat system and used it to get those resources. Once the price of crypto goes up another ten-fold, the greed factor will kick in for more retailers - its a bottom up process.

I see Costco as the next BIG domino to fall. Once that happens, you can buy FOOD with Bitcoin. Then, only utilities will be left. These are owned exclusively by the masonic power structure and will absolutely refuse to accept bitcoin until the bitter end. Before that happens, and after food is available for bitcoin, I think you will see dramatic reductions in government revenue as people hide money from the IRS in various blockchains. Government freebies will be reduced, while while the gov prints even more money to keep funding to the services that keep their power (military and police). This inflation will draw even more to cryptocoins, and the cycle will go faster and faster. Eventually, many police and military will quit and join private services to get paid in crypto, and then you can kiss government goodbye forever.

I read a few days ago that a Dutch energy company is starting to accept Bitcoin.
Pages:
Jump to: