Pages:
Author

Topic: The FinderOuter, a bitcoin recovery tool (v0.16.0 2022-09-19) - page 4. (Read 3882 times)

legendary
Activity: 1039
Merit: 2783
Bitcoin and C♯ Enthusiast
i noticed that with some lets say 17 characters
amount of total keys to check as with 16 characters missing, stayed the same.
It shouldn't be the same. We simply compute 58missCount using BigInteger (has no size limit) and report that as the total number of keys to check. So the result should always be different if the number of missing characters are different.
https://github.com/Coding-Enthusiast/FinderOuter/blob/26e3de339f56c702ddcfadaa8483dcc7ad1ea9c6/Src/FinderOuter/Services/Base58Sevice.cs#L106
Activity: 1
Merit: 0
I also have a plan to let the user limit the search space if that's what you meant. For example in mnemonic recovery user would be able to set a smaller range of words (like 5) to set in place of a particular missing word instead of using the entire 2048 words. This requires some major refactor so I'm putting it off for now.

That would be great. For missing characters inside a private key choosing options like "numbers only" or "letters only" or putting a range of potential characters that you would remember can be realy useful and a time changer.
Activity: 427
Merit: 105
thanks for the fast response, and yes that was a bit with the "puzzle" thing in mind,
like the range 8000000-fffffff or like with the numbers 1-160? great thanks noticing all the
changes you applying to you'r  newer versions. i noticed that with some lets say 17 characters
amount of total keys to check as with 16 characters missing, stayed the same.

but anyway a 110% release. and good luck so far.
legendary
thanks a lot for another greater release.
You're welcome.

i have a question, could you make it search in a specific bit range=x
If you mean something similar to the "puzzle solving" projects where they go from 2n to 2n+1 to find the private key to an address/pubkey then I don't think I'll ever add such an option to FinderOuter since the purpose of this tool is to help users recover their coins not to solve puzzles.
But in some ways FinderOuter is essentially doing the same thing (although it needs more optimization), each option with a missing base58, base16 or mnemonic is searching within a fixed range.

I also have a plan to let the user limit the search space if that's what you meant. For example in mnemonic recovery user would be able to set a smaller range of words (like 5) to set in place of a particular missing word instead of using the entire 2048 words. This requires some major refactor so I'm putting it off for now.
Activity: 427
Merit: 105
thanks a lot for another greater release.
i have a question, could you make it search in a specific bit range=x
thanks a lot.
legendary
Version 0.7.0 is released.
https://github.com/Coding-Enthusiast/FinderOuter/releases/tag/v0.7.0.0
See changelog for details.
  • General user interface improvements
  • AvaloniaUI is updated to version 0.10
  • Progressbar now shows the progress percentage
  • A warning is added to MainWindow to inform those who build from source and forget to use -release (ie. if they run FinderOuter in Debug mode by mistake)
  • Menu (help and about windows) is removed
  • Examples are improved, some new ones are added and the button is now showing the count and current example index
  • Recovery option descriptions are slightly improved
  • Fixed a bug in mnemonic recovery option when user entered a mnemonic with no missing words

FinderOuter is 1 year old
Activity: 8
thanks,

But a wallet have not a lot of adress in it ?

in the past i go explore with python my wallet.dat and there was 50 or 100 adress in it...
legendary
Does it work with Wallet.dat ?
No.

i have a wallet.dat and btc never arrived to it...
That is not a problem that a "recovery tool" can solve.
Activity: 8
Hi,

Does it work with Wallet.dat ?

i have a wallet.dat and btc never arrived to it...
legendary
Does it skip non-valid checksum mnemonics?
Of course it does. Example for 24 words

On electrum it takes much less time than on BIP39. Why does that happen?
It is because the slowest part of the code is SetBip32(...) method and it is only called when the checksum of the created mnemonic is valid. When we call it less times, the speed is going to be a lot higher.
The number of times checksum is valid depends on the size of the checksum, the bigger it is the less collision occurs and SetBip32() is called less times.
A 12-words BIP39 mnemonic only has a 4-bit checksum while a 12-word Electrum mnemonic has at least 8 bits of checksum (8 bits for standard type, 12 bits for other types).

Back to our 5th example
Code:
duck firm october practice soccer * result regret unveil * uncle ginger
child private key: L5fdNeFhX5Kgqnmbn6urPVt77eUocpbCF9f2ScEMu2HZwiFL3Viw
path m/0'/ (has to be the same for all for time comparison)
index: 1' (in order to make it fail and search the whole space in all cases)
(no passphrase)
                   SetBip32() call count         time
BIP39                    261,774                00:02:44
Electrum-Standard         16,464                00:00:12
Electrum-SegWit            1,064                00:00:02
Electrum-Legacy2FA         1,057                00:00:02
Electrum-SegWit2FA         1,015                00:00:02

The reason why the last 3 numbers are slightly different despite having the same checksum size is based on luck.

Another question, are there wallets that generate non-valid checksum mnemonics?
Not that I know of.
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 6415
Farewell, Leo
About the BIP39 option: Does it skip non-valid checksum mnemonics? I was wondering, because it would make brute forcing much faster. On electrum it takes much less time than on BIP39. Why does that happen?

Another question, are there wallets that generate non-valid checksum mnemonics?
legendary
Farewell, Leo
Switch to Released mode and you will experience a much faster run.
I switched it, built it and ran it from FinderOuter\Src\FinderOuter\bin\Release\net5.0\FinderOuter.exe. I tried the 5th example again. It should take few minutes, but still, it takes long.
legendary
I believe your CPU is slower than mine but the main reason is that you are adding bottlenecks that are significantly slowing down the application.
First and biggest one is that you are running it in Debug mode which doesn't have a lot of the optimization. Switch to Released mode and you will experience a much faster run.

Additionally when you run any application through V.S. it automatically attaches a debugger that will consume some CPU power and can slightly slow down the application.
If you want to run it without V.S. then you either have to install .net or publish the application. Here is a walk-through: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/core/tutorials/publishing-with-visual-studio
legendary
Farewell, Leo
Is your CPU older than mine? Or are you running FinderOuter in some sandbox/virtual machine that could limiting the CPU usage?

If I'm not mistaken I have I-Duo Core. I'm running FinderOuter from Visual studio. The purpose is that I can't open the executable.

Once I click "Yes", nothing happens. That's why I run it from visual studio.
legendary
It most likely going to take more than 2 hours. I don't get why it only takes you 3 minutes to do that on BIP39. (On electrum it takes a minute to me)
Is your CPU older than mine? Or are you running FinderOuter in some sandbox/virtual machine that could limiting the CPU usage?

If in example 5 I switch BIP39 to Electrum and change the path from m/0 back to m/0' then it only takes 11 seconds to check all combinations.
legendary
Farewell, Leo
To compare your PC speed with mine in the most optimal case check out the fifth example. On my corei3 CPU it barely takes 3 min (0:02:40) to check the 4.1 million cases.
https://imgur.com/a/uRHbDef

This is me when I try the fifth example:

It most likely going to take more than 2 hours. I don't get why it only takes you 3 minutes to do that on BIP39. (On electrum it takes a minute to me)
legendary
I've noticed that this works only if you've chosen "Electrum". This is what happens on BIP39:
Whenever there is an "additional info" textbox in any of the recovery options, the result is always checked against that and the loop will break as soon as the comparison was successful.

What? Why should this be true? Am I missing anything? Besides, I tried it and it goes terribly slow, just like before.
Each depth adds another round of HMACSHA512 and some small math for all index types, but also adds another EC point multiplication if the index wasn't hardened.
For example m/0 only performs one additional EC mult and one HMACSHA512 compared to m/0/0/0/0 which has to perform 4 which makes it 4 times slower.

Have you tried the 5th example? Just click on Example button 5 times, and it should only take a minute to solve.
legendary
Farewell, Leo
It will stop as soon as it finds the correct combination of words and prints the result.
I've noticed that this works only if you've chosen "Electrum". This is what happens on BIP39:

It should find the correct mnemonic on the first result. Instead it's starting this search that takes 1 day to finish.
Nevermind, I had to change path equal with m/84'/0'/0'/0

Generally speaking the shorter your path is (eg. m/0 vs m/0/0/0/0) the faster the recovery.
What? Why should this be true? Am I missing anything? Besides, I tried it and it goes terribly slow, just like before.
legendary
I must have a really slow PC.
Sorry I should have asked about your path first, BIP39 recovery speed depends a lot on the path, doubly so in my code that has a known issue with ECC.
Generally speaking the shorter your path is (eg. m/0 vs m/0/0/0/0) the faster the recovery.
The more hardened indexes the path has (eg. m/0'/0'/0'/0' vs m/0/0/0/0) the faster the recovery.
Additionally when the path is using hardened indexes it avoids the issue in FinderOuter so the speed goes up by a lot and it can also use the all CPU cores.

To compare your PC speed with mine in the most optimal case check out the fifth example. On my corei3 CPU it barely takes 3 min (0:02:40) to check the 4.1 million cases.
https://imgur.com/a/uRHbDef
legendary
Farewell, Leo
10 words out of how many? 2 missing out of 12 takes only an hour on my old PC, having 10 out of more like 24 is impossible to brute force.
Really? It just finished after 19 hours.

There are 12 words in the given mnemonic with 2 missing.
A total of 4,194,304 mnemonics should be checked.
Running in parallel.
Elapsed time: 19:02:45.5941064
k/s= 61

I must have a really slow PC.
Pages:
Jump to: