Pages:
Author

Topic: The First Seastead is in the water - page 2. (Read 1088 times)

Activity: 1491
Merit: 320
🐪
March 02, 2019, 04:28:07 AM
~

One is build. The one that should be fit on the spar yesterday.  As you can read here https://ocean.builders/seasteading/   when 20 people will apply and pay those 20 new will get produced.   I dont believe there will be many enrollment before Elwar will at least partially finished his. But I could be wrong.
Wish the best luck for project and hope that we will get to see more pictures/videos how it looks in reality.

Here is the first video in a series of videos we're doing about the seastead.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=tTXhgcXA1pM

Thanks for the update. Hope that it will be fully functional soon Smiley Nice to see how enthusiastic are people behind the project!
Activity: 281
Merit: 77
You got questions? We got answers. coinclarity.com
March 02, 2019, 03:01:43 AM

Very cool. I'm sold! Looking forward to the future videos and what the end product looks like.

How long is a boat trip to the mainland from where you are? It sounds like Phuket province is the closest urbanized area. Don't forget to load up on plenty of sunscreen!
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
February 28, 2019, 07:14:45 AM
~

One is build. The one that should be fit on the spar yesterday.  As you can read here https://ocean.builders/seasteading/   when 20 people will apply and pay those 20 new will get produced.   I dont believe there will be many enrollment before Elwar will at least partially finished his. But I could be wrong.
Wish the best luck for project and hope that we will get to see more pictures/videos how it looks in reality.

legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
February 05, 2019, 04:58:01 PM
Better move faster if you want to win. Think of a floating tunnel between nations... around the world... in the oceans. Submerged only 100 feet, it's going to be a hazard to some seasteads.

Crossing Norway's fjords is going to get easier with world's first submerged floating tunnel

Highway E39 in Norway is one of the most beautiful drives in the world, hugging the country's rugged west coast from Kristiansand to Trondheim.

It is 684 miles of unending scenery, including rivers and lakes, waterfalls and mountains and numerous fjords.

But if you look carefully at a road map, E39 is something of a dotted line. Each of the breaks occurs at seven fjords -- where drivers must put their cars on a ferry to get across.

This stop-and-start, sea-and-land journey takes 21 hours.

But the government of Norway has a plan.

Cool
🐪
February 04, 2019, 03:06:51 PM
~

legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288
February 04, 2019, 01:21:29 PM
I am fascinated by your project!

I have few questions about your project:

How many seasteads are built already? How much do you plan to build?

What is the cost of one seastead?

How big is the living space in one seastead compared to apartment?

What are location requirements for your seastead (minimum and max. sea depth, can it be installed in the middle of the ocean?)

legendary
February 03, 2019, 08:51:23 PM
I wonder how many different Seasteading groups exist out there.

When I went to https://www.seasteading.org/, their main picture at the top of the page was entirely different than those that Elwar is showing us of his seastead construction. Also, I received my monthly email from Joe's group (the link above), and there didn't seem to be any mention of Elwar's project, but at least one other project was mentioned.

It seems that there are several different serious groups doing this, and most of them don't have a big way of advertising (or don't want to) so that we don't even know that they exist.

Cool
🐪
February 03, 2019, 02:35:36 PM
I am fascinated by your project!

I have few questions about your project:

How many seasteads are built already? How much do you plan to build?

What is the cost of one seastead?

How big is the living space in one seastead compared to apartment?

What are location requirements for your seastead (minimum and max. sea depth, can it be installed in the middle of the ocean?)
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288
February 03, 2019, 02:13:31 PM
Will this Community of Seasteaders have their own rules to follow?  If so isn't that part of the problem that you are trying to leave behind ? Rules,Laws ,Restrictions etc. etc.

More general thread about seasteading is here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1814814.100

So if I read on forum right plan was to set seastead this weekend. That already passed in Thailand. Did it happened or weather was still bad?

legendary
Activity: 2744
Merit: 1174
January 31, 2019, 03:00:20 PM
Will this Community of Seasteaders have their own rules to follow?  If so isn't that part of the problem that you are trying to leave behind ? Rules,Laws ,Restrictions etc. etc.

Community? We're building homes on the sea. Who said anything about building a community?

Your questions imply that I plan on just living in my seastead alone like a hermit just to escape laws.

The point is to grow a community. That's why we are selling the first 20 at cost. We want this to grow. We want to have a society out on the sea.

The sovereignty allows for a clean slate in starting many different societies. I don't want to have a single seastead nation evolve from this. I want hundreds of small communities to choose from. Each with its own benefits. But each so much better than anything on land.

The production versions will have active mooring which will allow you to move your home as you see fit. If you don't like your neighbors...just move.

As for initially being occupied. My gf and I will have plenty to do. We lived in a small bungalow in Tahiti and spent most of our time there. Her cooking and me on the 'net or reading.

We can go SCUBA diving and swimming. I plan on growing a coral garden on the spar and raising reef fish. Drone fishing...

Most importantly we have Internet so I'll never get bored.

And we can go into town. Either to Phuket or one of the islands.

But I imagine as people begin moving out there we will be very busy helping the newcomers get adjusted and enjoy a growing community.

You did Smiley

I like this project, it's a great idea, as long as you find living in a tiny house comfortable.
legendary
January 31, 2019, 09:59:15 AM
^^^ What do you mean? China built, like, 20 gigantic cities in different areas of China. They are barely inhabited if they are at all. You are going to float a bunch of "houses" on the ocean?

Cool
legendary
Viva Ut Vivas
January 30, 2019, 09:31:01 PM

Community? We're building homes on the sea. Who said anything about building a community?
Activity: 270
Merit: 17
January 30, 2019, 06:55:53 PM
legendary
January 30, 2019, 06:46:31 PM
Is the concept of creating permanent dwellings at sea.

Very humid.     Cool
Activity: 38
Merit: 0
January 30, 2019, 06:36:08 PM
Is the concept of creating permanent dwellings at sea.
legendary
January 28, 2019, 06:12:47 AM
I went to your link at seasteadtalk.org. It is very interesting. How is Joe Quirk hooked up to you, or are you two different groups?

Cool

Joe came out last month and spent about 3 weeks with us. He was able to watch the platform go in the water.

He is putting full support of the seasteading institute behind it because it's the first actual seastead being built.

Good (I think). A project like this is more basic than Sealand. It needs more working together than simply refurbishing something that was already there. Stick together, and don't get into arguments that could destroy your collaboration.

Cool
legendary
Viva Ut Vivas
January 28, 2019, 12:23:24 AM
I went to your link at seasteadtalk.org. It is very interesting. How is Joe Quirk hooked up to you, or are you two different groups?

Cool

Joe came out last month and spent about 3 weeks with us. He was able to watch the platform go in the water.

He is putting full support of the seasteading institute behind it because it's the first actual seastead being built.
legendary
January 27, 2019, 10:33:45 PM

Cool
legendary
Viva Ut Vivas
January 27, 2019, 09:35:55 PM
Could you post a blueprint of your spar or just its dimensions and a description of it's features such as ballast and containment areas?
Also could you say what the spar is costing you to make and what source materials you are using to make it?

I am most interested in the construction of the spar because I do that sort of thing (metalwork, fabrication) and I think I might have a lot of 2nd hand source material perfect for making such a thing local to me that can be had very cheap and have all of the tools at my disposal..

I have even had a "real job" making similar contraptions from raw materials from rolling sheet metal to finished tanks including cutting and welding, installing fittings, pressure testing, you name it. From blueprint to finished product.
I also have experience pressure testing and pumping well over 10,000 psi.
I have plasma and oxyacetylene cutting tools available and many types of welding machines and very competent welders.

I might be able to make these things very competitively with logical delivery to the gulf of mexico or the Atlantic by New York..

Just to kick around ideas..

I have most of the specs here:
https://www.seasteadtalk.org/forum/engineering-discussion/51-xlii-specs

The spar is rolled steel tubes about 1.5 meters each welded together to get to the 20 meters. 14mm thick steel.

Ballast area on the bottom is about 1.5 meters walled off then filled with concrete. We also added about 10 tons of sand to the main area that became ballast when we flipped it.

Initial cost was around $30k but being a prototype and never having done this before we had to pay another $10k or so for incidentals.

Now that we have the process down we will likely be making mass steel purchases from China to bring that cost down for the production version, while ramping up the quality.

If you're up for seasteading we are hoping to move most of the metal and fiberglass work to the seastead so that we can grow the economy of the seastead by building seasteads.
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 2262
BTC or BUST
January 27, 2019, 07:27:04 PM
Could you post a blueprint of your spar or just its dimensions and a description of it's features such as ballast and containment areas?
Also could you say what the spar is costing you to make and what source materials you are using to make it?

I am most interested in the construction of the spar because I do that sort of thing (metalwork, fabrication) and I think I might have a lot of 2nd hand source material perfect for making such a thing local to me that can be had very cheap and have all of the tools at my disposal..

I have even had a "real job" making similar contraptions from raw materials from rolling sheet metal to finished tanks including cutting and welding, installing fittings, pressure testing, you name it. From blueprint to finished product.
I also have experience pressure testing and pumping well over 10,000 psi.
I have plasma and oxyacetylene cutting tools available and many types of welding machines and very competent welders.

I might be able to make these things very competitively with logical delivery to the gulf of mexico or the Atlantic by New York..

Just to kick around ideas..
Pages:
Jump to: