Pages:
Author

Topic: The First Seastead is in the water - page 3. (Read 1088 times)

legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958
First Exclusion Ever
January 27, 2019, 11:52:07 AM
Would love to see your system in action.

Well it is not "my system", but rather some simple mechanical energy storage and generation methods you would be smart to take advantage of given the location and "off grid" requirements. You could do a scaled down version with some 50 gallon drums, and some small pumps which could run off of solar/wind etc during peak generation times. This potential energy in the form of stored water pressure could also be tapped for fire suppression in an emergency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObvQFX6noDw

This is a way scaled up version of what I am talking about, but it is an effective demonstration of concept.

Some other interesting energy solutions that might interest you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO3ab-IK2dI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktup6CAvfGo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM2nNyaZ_Do
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
January 27, 2019, 10:51:04 AM
How much of the structure is flammable and is there any built in fire suppression, like at least a pump to the ocean with hose connections internally for fire fighting?

For regular guy reading about fire in the middle of ocean this might sound silly but Actually this is a really important question but fire is ships biggest enemy. Structure should be as inflammable as possible and there should be ways to detect and put off fire fast.

How many catamarans in the ocean have water pumps for fire suppression? The platform I'm in is close to the living space of a large catamaran (at a much lower price).

A fire extinguisher should be fine.

You know keeping a fresh water reservoir of some kind could be used as ballast as well as for fire suppression, especially if you had a smaller elevated tank. Pumping the water up would also be a viable method of storing any extra energy you collect to then later use the potential energy to run a generator via gravity flow. I know you are trying to keep it minimal, but some times good design will do everything you need and more.

Well...we have the hose in the kitchen sink to fresh water. And the bathroom. Only other room is the bedroom.

This isn't a Blue Frontiers seastead where we theorize about all sorts of tech that has been done in some lab somewhere. We buy stuff at the store and use it.

This isn't cutting edge theoretical technology here. Not sure what you imagine I mean, but I imagine you have some kind of renewable energy system that includes batteries, in which case this could increase that capacity for energy storage for use off of peak generation times using simple pumps, tubes, and tubs. Not sure how you expect to grow with this kind of attitude, but was just trying to be constructive. I suppose I can go back to just ignoring this again... 

Would love to see your system in action.
legendary
First Exclusion Ever
January 27, 2019, 10:47:50 AM
How much of the structure is flammable and is there any built in fire suppression, like at least a pump to the ocean with hose connections internally for fire fighting?

For regular guy reading about fire in the middle of ocean this might sound silly but Actually this is a really important question but fire is ships biggest enemy. Structure should be as inflammable as possible and there should be ways to detect and put off fire fast.

How many catamarans in the ocean have water pumps for fire suppression? The platform I'm in is close to the living space of a large catamaran (at a much lower price).

You know keeping a fresh water reservoir of some kind could be used as ballast as well as for fire suppression, especially if you had a smaller elevated tank. Pumping the water up would also be a viable method of storing any extra energy you collect to then later use the potential energy to run a generator via gravity flow. I know you are trying to keep it minimal, but some times good design will do everything you need and more.

Well...we have the hose in the kitchen sink to fresh water. And the bathroom. Only other room is the bedroom.

This isn't a Blue Frontiers seastead where we theorize about all sorts of tech that has been done in some lab somewhere. We buy stuff at the store and use it.

This isn't cutting edge theoretical technology here. Not sure what you imagine I mean, but I imagine you have some kind of renewable energy system that includes batteries, in which case this could increase that capacity for energy storage for use off of peak generation times using simple pumps, tubes, and tubs. Not sure how you expect to grow with this kind of attitude, but was just trying to be constructive. I suppose I can go back to just ignoring this again... 
legendary
Viva Ut Vivas
January 27, 2019, 10:45:43 AM

Google "graphene salt water filter" to see that it won't be long before anybody will be able to have his own seawater to fresh water filter at a reasonable price. Of course, we will be able to flood the Sahara, etc. Will anybody still be interested in Seasteading when dry lands are opened up for habitation?

However, regarding Seasteading in general, look at what the Revelation in the Bible says, Revelation 13:1:
The dragon stood on the shore of the sea. And I saw a beast coming out of the sea. It had ten horns and seven heads, with ten crowns on its horns, and on each head a blasphemous name.

Is this what Seasteading is going to turn into? And maybe because of graphene seawater filters upsetting Seasteaders. Cheesy

Cool

I like graphene but it has been found that it could be deadly to humans.

It is so small and strong that if it gets into your body it tears your cells to shreds. I am reluctant to drink from a filter that may have many tiny graphene particles in it that will dice up my cells.

If it works then that would be great. Cheaper water makers for the seasteads.
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
January 27, 2019, 09:44:57 AM

Google "graphene salt water filter" to see that it won't be long before anybody will be able to have his own seawater to fresh water filter at a reasonable price. Of course, we will be able to flood the Sahara, etc. Will anybody still be interested in Seasteading when dry lands are opened up for habitation?

However, regarding Seasteading in general, look at what the Revelation in the Bible says, Revelation 13:1:
The dragon stood on the shore of the sea. And I saw a beast coming out of the sea. It had ten horns and seven heads, with ten crowns on its horns, and on each head a blasphemous name.

Is this what Seasteading is going to turn into? And maybe because of graphene seawater filters upsetting Seasteaders. Cheesy

Cool
legendary
Viva Ut Vivas
January 27, 2019, 06:20:24 AM

legendary
First Exclusion Ever
January 27, 2019, 06:01:10 AM

legendary
Viva Ut Vivas
January 27, 2019, 05:06:10 AM

legendary
January 26, 2019, 05:30:30 PM

Concrete hulled boats don't burn easily. If the hull is made of concrete, why not the rest of the boat? Sure, there will be lots of "stuff" that seasteaders own that will burn - like clothing, and fuel. But there are fires on boats right now. All that need be done is to apply boat safety to the Seasteads.

Cool
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288
January 26, 2019, 05:12:12 PM

legendary
Viva Ut Vivas
January 26, 2019, 09:41:15 AM

The question is - in simple terms, without reading Joe's book - what are the advantages of Seasteading over joined-houseboat living or something else?

Cool

Sovereignty.

Not just in the aspect of individuals being sovereign, but starting from sovereignty and growing from there. Meaning any community that forms starts from scratch when it comes to laws.

You can put some house boats together and have your own laws. But those are in addition to the nation whose harbor you are sitting in. So you are basically the same as boaters in a marina with some additional marina regulations.

Technically, is there any reason why people in boats can't build a boat in international waters? If they do, wouldn't their boat be a "sovereign" boat?

Sure, it wouldn't be able to land at any port of any nation, but that's simply because the nations aren't sovereign, originally... because they MUST have only registered boats land at their ports, by treaty with other nations.

Cool

Sure a boat can be built in international waters, it's the living on the boat in international waters part that is the most difficult.

A boat is built so that it needs to continue moving forward in waves for stability.

This was the plan of former seastead project Blueseed. They wanted to buy a large boat and just continue to drive in a figure 8 pattern perpetually. Figuring people would pay for the gas in exchange for the benefit of living on the seastead. Solar would require too much energy. They could do nuclear like submarines.

But to stay in one place you need different technology from a boat. It's closer to an oil platform than a boat. So you use the tech of oil platforms instead of boat tech.
legendary
January 25, 2019, 01:21:25 PM

The question is - in simple terms, without reading Joe's book - what are the advantages of Seasteading over joined-houseboat living or something else?

Cool

Sovereignty.

Not just in the aspect of individuals being sovereign, but starting from sovereignty and growing from there. Meaning any community that forms starts from scratch when it comes to laws.

You can put some house boats together and have your own laws. But those are in addition to the nation whose harbor you are sitting in. So you are basically the same as boaters in a marina with some additional marina regulations.

Technically, is there any reason why people in boats can't build a boat in international waters? If they do, wouldn't their boat be a "sovereign" boat?

Sure, it wouldn't be able to land at any port of any nation, but that's simply because the nations aren't sovereign, originally... because they MUST have only registered boats land at their ports, by treaty with other nations.

Cool
legendary
Viva Ut Vivas
January 25, 2019, 11:42:47 AM
I think the idea and concept is pretty neat.  I couldn't imagine living on one of these things personally. 

Do these things come equipped with those space station toilets that recycle human waste back to water and then feed plants with the "nutrients"?

Why does everyone automatically think a seastead has to have some super expensive space technology? It's mostly boat like. We use boat tech. A toilet that pumps water like on a boat. Water maker like on a boat. As flammable as a boat. We have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen.

No flying cars or 2 million dollar submarines.No hydrofoil boats for commuting.

We use solar for electricity with gas generator backup and propane for cooking. No nuclear power or thorium power plant.

Where does the waste go, directly into the ocean or into a holding tank like a boat?  I guess shit floating around your house isn't a big deal?  What if I am having a swim and a neighbour flushes a big turd?

Honestly space toilets, hydrofoil boat cars and a thorium power plant sounds way cooler!  Wink

Production versions will likely use composting toilets. Fertilizer can be used for plants on the deck or tossed overboard.

The ocean is kinda big. Fish, whales, dolphins poop in it all the time. If you want the nasty truth...pooping into the ocean is a good thing. The fish and micro-organisms eat that stuff right up and thrive.

Right! I mean, how many people on the beach don't pee in the water now and again? But you don't find it washed up on shore very often, right? Cheesy

Cool

Sovereignty.

legendary
January 25, 2019, 10:40:49 AM
I think the idea and concept is pretty neat.  I couldn't imagine living on one of these things personally. 

Do these things come equipped with those space station toilets that recycle human waste back to water and then feed plants with the "nutrients"?

Why does everyone automatically think a seastead has to have some super expensive space technology? It's mostly boat like. We use boat tech. A toilet that pumps water like on a boat. Water maker like on a boat. As flammable as a boat. We have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen.

We use solar for electricity with gas generator backup and propane for cooking. No nuclear power or thorium power plant.

Where does the waste go, directly into the ocean or into a holding tank like a boat?  I guess shit floating around your house isn't a big deal?  What if I am having a swim and a neighbour flushes a big turd?

Honestly space toilets, hydrofoil boat cars and a thorium power plant sounds way cooler!  Wink

Production versions will likely use composting toilets. Fertilizer can be used for plants on the deck or tossed overboard.

The ocean is kinda big. Fish, whales, dolphins poop in it all the time. If you want the nasty truth...pooping into the ocean is a good thing. The fish and micro-organisms eat that stuff right up and thrive.

Right! I mean, how many people on the beach don't pee in the water now and again? But you don't find it washed up on shore very often, right? Cheesy

Cool
legendary
Viva Ut Vivas
January 25, 2019, 10:21:32 AM

legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1756
Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!
January 23, 2019, 09:43:49 PM

legendary
Viva Ut Vivas
January 23, 2019, 07:56:54 PM
The difference from a boat is the sovereignty part.

That is what I figured..
As far as I know, from very limited research, every boat has to be registered to some country. I guess your "seastead" somehow gets around this because it is "not a boat"?
Can you explain some about how that works?

So if your seastead is sovereign doesn't that make it a country like that oil platform country?
Does this give your country your 12 mile and other zones of sea around your country that your seastead country controls?

Do you get your zones like those?
Hypothetically, could you move your seastead next to an active oil platform that is in unclaimed international waters, to put it into your exclusive economical zone, and then tax the shit out of that oil company? lol

Could I register my sailboat to your seastead, or, could I buy my own seastead and register my own sailboat to my own seastead country and therefore have a sovereign sailboat while it is outside the zone of any other country?

I have no plans on becoming a nation. The first 20 owners will be laying the ground work for future governance. If they want to move in that direction then that will be the direction of seasteading in the near term.

Personally, I don't want to be a citizen of any country that would have me.
legendary
Viva Ut Vivas
January 23, 2019, 07:54:15 PM

legendary
January 23, 2019, 07:12:45 PM

What! Are you trying to sink the burning seastead?     Grin
Pages:
Jump to: