Pages:
Author

Topic: The Lightning Network FAQ - page 38. (Read 32053 times)

Activity: 650
Merit: 1489
June 28, 2021, 03:11:52 AM
In order to use L2, you need L1; does the same apply for L3 & L4?
I think so. In order to use L3, you need transaction batching feature, so some kind of Pedersen Commitments or things like that are needed. I guess in L3 you cannot join any transaction with any script type, just that transaction types when it will be enabled, for example only those with some kind of future Segwit version address or those with some kind of future-tapscript (because taproot is self-upgradeable).

Would L3 need L2 to operate?
Yes, because in other case it won't be L3, but just another L2.

To me, it seems that, by the way you wrote it, L3 is a L2 update (?).
I guess that garlonicon's way of thinking is "what needs to be outside". In Segwit, signatures are outside. In taproot, signatures are batched. In L2, transactions are outside. In L3, transactions will be batched. In L4, everything will be reduced to single commitment. So I guess in L5, commitments would be batched, for example instead of using one commitment per block, it could be one commitment per 2016 blocks.

If you want to create L3, you have to "push something outside" and because channel creation/destruction transactions are the only things that are present on-chain, then something related to that should be "outside". And batching is "pushing things outside", because in that case you can open some channel, you broadcast channel opening transaction to the "L2 mempool". Then, you do your L3 transactions, but "L2 mempool" is very congested. Finally, you close your L2 channel, but your channel opening transaction is not yet settled on L1. So, it can be reduced by using Pedersen Commitments or some other kind of transaction batching. Of course, to avoid double-spending, some kind of "honest batching proof" will be needed, because if Alice opened a channel with Bob, and Bob opened a channel with Charlie, it should be possible to close all channels and create a payment from Charlie to Alice without worrying if it should be from Charlie to Daniel.

Going further, if you have batched transactions on L3 and it is still not enough, then you have to "push something else outside". And the only thing I can think of is pushing transactions outside. For that, you collect all L3 transactions and create a 256-bit commitment. Going even further from L4 to L5, you have to "push something else outside". You have single 256-bit number per block. How to reduce that? Make one commitment per 2016 blocks. I still wonder how to create L6 by using that kind of logic, but it seems that L5 will be sufficient for a long time.
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 6415
Farewell, Leo
June 28, 2021, 02:12:11 AM
meaning all 8 billion people can now hold ~23 units of gold
But, still, only 6.77 billion can hold 28 grams of gold. No matter the number of people who own gold, the 28 grams' scarcity will remain the same. Only if the supply increased, the scarcity would decrease.

L2 does not work as intended, because when L1 is congested, then you cannot settle your L1 transactions. You cannot open and close channels without L1. You cannot send coins to someone who never used BTC when L1 is congested. You cannot close your L2 channel for one satoshi per byte when there are 100 MB other transactions waiting in mempool.
So L1 is the block chain and L2 is the Lightning Network, okay I got it. In order to use L2, you need L1; does the same apply for L3 & L4? Would L3 need L2 to operate? To me, it seems that, by the way you wrote it, L3 is a L2 update (?).
Activity: 789
Merit: 1909
June 28, 2021, 12:37:35 AM
Hi, would you, or anybody else, mind explaining me why there are so many layers of the lightning network? I googled it, but as always, I wasn't assisted properly. I'm a LN newbie BTW and willing to dive into the details now that I have some available time.
Simple, because when L1 does not work as intended, people created L2. When L2 still has problems, people will create L3. And when L3 will have another issues, people will create L4. If L1 would be good enough, people would never create L2, because it would never be needed (as you can see on many altcoins where you don't have L2 or where you will never see L2 by design).

L1 does not work as intended, because if you use BTC extensively and make many transactions, then they have to be stored forever. There is block size limit, so mempool is sometimes congested when there are too many transactions. For that reason L2 is needed. On BCH you have no L2, because they decided to do everything on L1 and they promise to never introduce L2.

L2 does not work as intended, because when L1 is congested, then you cannot settle your L1 transactions. You cannot open and close channels without L1. You cannot send coins to someone who never used BTC when L1 is congested. You cannot close your L2 channel for one satoshi per byte when there are 100 MB other transactions waiting in mempool.

L1 does everything on-chain. L2 does channel opening and closing on-chain and everything else off-chain. I guess L3 would batch matching channel opening and closing on-chain transactions into single on-chain transaction. From L1 it would look like channels will be closed before opening transaction will settle on-chain. I guess L4 would push some kind of 256-bit commitment to the nearest block and everything would happen off-chain. From L1 it would look like some coins are still part of the chain, but no L1 miner knows who owns what in L4 and how many channels are there, the only visible thing would be that there is X BTC locked in the whole L4 layer. But of course L3 and L4 design is just guessing and I am not 100% sure how it will work in practice.
legendary
Farewell, Leo
June 27, 2021, 03:57:15 PM
changing the 'must consume sats in whole units' sats rule.. to allowing slices of sats. is allowing more sharing and thus less scarcity
Why “thus less scarcity”? I don't get that. If I gave you 0.999999999999 ounces of gold, I wouldn't make 1 ounce less scarce just because I can cut it in smaller pieces.
legendary
Activity: 4186
Merit: 4385
June 27, 2021, 03:24:54 PM
however that then plays into  the 'shareable' units (scarcity) debate. of adding more shareable units available at the bottom end
Actually it doesn't; it'd have the same scarcity after all, whether we hard forked msats in the source code or not. The number 21,000,000 BTC would never be exceeded. It wouldn't even touch it.
sats have always been a shareable unit.
there have always been a rule that the circulation from 5000000000sats per block will halv after 210k blocks and cause a result near on 2100000000000000 sat total cap eventually
yep since day one only 2100000000000000 shareable units.
thats the real scarity

something is not more scarce because redefining 2100000000000000 parts into a buzzword for human eyes as 21m..
because sharing divisions of this buzzword has always been possible. the shareable potential still remains

heck if i created a new buzzword of just 21,000megabitcoins does not make it more scarce
because there is still currently still only 2100000000000000 shareable units (sats limit of future circulation)

however to increase the sharability reduces the scarcity.

imagine something is set in stone.. a round whole pizza can only be shared as a round whole pizza. a pizza is the smallest unit..
ordering 10 pizza's = only 10 people max can share
but but inventing sliced pizza..
means more can share and suddenly pizza is not as scarce as more then 10 can get a slice
(research share dilution.. same company. but more shares)
many people think bitcoin was invented from btc with decimal divisions being the temporary flimsy buzzwords that can change

when reality it was built from satoshi mutliples up where btc is the empty buzzword of just human visual
changing the 'must consume sats in whole units' sats rule.. to allowing slices of sats. is allowing more sharing and thus less scarcity

the funniest part is. i am a bitcoin(btc) maximalist. i dont want to go playing on other networks or made/forced to use other networks just to spend my value FAIRLY.
Why is this the funniest part and why are you forced to “spend your value” with LN?

the coding decisions making using bitcoin less useful and less fair, was done purposefully just to promote new features by swaying people "they save money by using new features".. while at code level its purposefully making old standard features more expensive and NOT making the new features cheaper then ever before... but just cheaper then the new recently added extra premium added to old feature

.take the vbyte to bytes that put legacy transactions at a premium 4x fee
 its never been a segwit is 4x cheaper then fee formulae of 2016
 its legacy is 4x more then 2016 and segwit is less then new legacy high premium

.take the lack of any tx fee formula to actually accurately gauge value/age of coin to set true
 premium/discount that has real purpose
 EG coins under 10 confirms should for efficiency purposes cost more then coins over 144 confirms..
 (as it makes spamming tx more expensive)
 someone moving $1billion pays the same fee as someone moving $20.. (thats bad methodology)
 someone moving a coin every block pays same as someone moving once a month (thats bad too)

.take having everyone pay more than 2016 levels .. as a lame excuse to deter spammers just makes everyone not want to use it as much

there are many websites that have turned off bitcoin support and moved to accepting altnet currencies just due to the fee cludgy decisions

after all if paypal started saying that people gotta pay $2+ each time they do something on ebay. people would pay for things using a different payment service

i avoid any ATM that has fees when there are other ATM's that dont. and thats the point
legendary
Farewell, Leo
June 27, 2021, 02:39:29 PM
Edit: The only "fractional" satoshi solution accepted by developers is decreasing transaction fee, for example to one satoshi per kilobyte (or one satoshi per transaction later if needed). But as there are no developers treating fractional satoshis on L1 seriously, they will never be introduced and if they would exist on L2, then they would exist on L3, L4, and so on, so they would never be needed on L1.
Hi, would you, or anybody else, mind explaining me why there are so many layers of the lightning network? I googled it, but as always, I wasn't assisted properly. I'm a LN newbie BTW and willing to dive into the details now that I have some available time.

however that then plays into  the 'shareable' units (scarcity) debate. of adding more shareable units available at the bottom end
Actually it doesn't; it'd have the same scarcity after all, whether we hard forked msats in the source code or not. The number 21,000,000 BTC would never be exceeded. It wouldn't even touch it.

the funniest part is. i am a bitcoin(btc) maximalist. i dont want to go playing on other networks or made/forced to use other networks just to spend my value FAIRLY.
Why is this the funniest part and why are you forced to “spend your value” with LN?
legendary
June 27, 2021, 11:13:20 AM
though bitcoin even since 2009 has always been denominated in satoshis. where every raw tx on the blockchain has always been in sats.
which is not easy to break out of, while remaining 'backward compatible'
(there are many ways but that involves having old nodes ignore/accept without validation new tx formats)

by the time it gets to about 2045 there may then and only then be a case to change the value denomination to sub satoshi levels as the block reward would soon then become
sats:                 year:
4882812.5   2049
2441406.25   2053
1220703.125   2057
610351.5625   2061
76293.94531   2073
9536.743164   2085
596.0464478   2101

Activity: 789
Merit: 1909
June 27, 2021, 12:40:29 AM
In the future, sooner or later, introducing fractional satoshis would be needed.

Edit: The only "fractional" satoshi solution accepted by developers is decreasing transaction fee, for example to one satoshi per kilobyte (or one satoshi per transaction later if needed). But as there are no developers treating fractional satoshis on L1 seriously, they will never be introduced and if they would exist on L2, then they would exist on L3, L4, and so on, so they would never be needed on L1.
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131
June 26, 2021, 07:08:31 PM
Let me throw in my two cents.

franky1 makes some good points. I am also a little bit concerned about large nodes which set the minimum channel funding value to ridiculously high values.

I don't agree with the statement that the Lightning Network as a whole consists of IOUs. I do agree that milisatoshis are backed only by trust, but...

I don't think that's a major issue. Putting the msats value aside, if you are the channel founder then you do not lose any money. The moment you decide to close the channel both balances are rounded down to whole satoshis and the remaining 1 satoshi is added to the transaction fee, which as a channel founder you have to pay anyway. If you are not the channel founder then... well, that's a negligible loss for you. By the time msats become valuable, the number of on-chain decimal places might have been already changed as a result of some hardfork.

when you can understand the concept of an payment in millisats(htlc).. being a separate thing to an exchange to a bitcoin transaction at a different time. then you might understand that the HTLC(msat) payment (agreement of who owes what) is not the same as a bitcoin transaction.

While it's true that HTLCs are denominated in msats, they are still enforceable on the blockchain. The moment you send/receive an HTLC to/from someone, you also need to sign a new commitment transaction. Commitment transactions can include not only the current balance of both parties but also offered and incoming HTLCs. Both of these (locked) outputs obviously need to be rounded down to whole satoshis in order for the transaction to be valid.

I think that we have had enough. Please, move to some other thread if you wish to discuss it further. Feel free to quote me there. I will be removing any IOU related posts from now on.
legendary
June 26, 2021, 07:04:17 PM
to anyone(sems theres a few above) still confused about a few truths of LN
lets just use one bit of code example that debunks their thoughts and clears up the issue quick

confusions of some people
a. LN is for bitcoin only 'cos bitcoin'
b. values in LN are measured in things that bitcoin recognises

// DefaultBitcoinStaticFeePerKW is the fee rate of 50 sat/vbyte
   // expressed in sat/kw.
   DefaultBitcoinStaticFeePerKW = chainfee.SatPerKWeight(12500)

// DefaultBitcoinStaticMinRelayFeeRate is the min relay fee used for
   // static estimators.
   DefaultBitcoinStaticMinRelayFeeRate = chainfee.FeePerKwFloor

// DefaultLitecoinStaticFeePerKW is the fee rate of 200 sat/vbyte
   // expressed in sat/kw.
   DefaultLitecoinStaticFeePerKW = chainfee.SatPerKWeight(50000)

// BtcToLtcConversionRate is a fixed ratio used in order to scale up
   // payments when running on the Litecoin chain.
   BtcToLtcConversionRate = 60

first note that it allows both pegging iou tokens to bitcoin and litecoin
then note that for:
bitcoin pegged iou
the measure of 50sat/vbyte is 125sat/byte = INSIDE LN 12500 msat tokens

litecoin pegged IOU
the measure of 200sat/vbyte is 50sat/byte = INSIDE LN 50000 msat tokens

heck github has soo many examples of the network being separate and functional for many pegs
and hundreds of examples of the tokens being a different denomination to the peg

atleast the liquid network can admit their tokens(L-BTC) are pegged tokens and not play the silly promo fluff of LN which pretends to be bitcoin itself

edit to respond to below
its not just that HTLC are in a different denomination.
but also requiring a separate contract(comitment) to make funds bitcoin network recognisable. where there is a separation between a 'commitment' and a 'HTLC'. where the HTLC is completely different and not bitcoin.

and then also the whole point of the 'dont trust zero confirms' of the commitment(settlement)
meaning a HTLC is 2 'layers' away from being a guaranteed settlement, and just a 'promise of 'i owe you x''

but the few trolls that think LN is bitcoin have also been saying that other altnets(crapcoins) which do have bitcoin compatible transactions that CAN BE REPLAYED on the bitcoin network, have been deemed NOT bitcoin.. very hypocritical and reveals they have no clue. and just trolling their hypocrisies by saying an altnet that CANT be direct replayed.. is bitcoin!!?.
legendary
Activity: 3626
Merit: 2209
💲🏎️💨🚓
June 26, 2021, 07:59:12 AM
The man is Hyperventilating - give him a brown paper bag and some room to breathe!

I'm pretty sure the whitepaper for Bitcoin alludes to having the capacity for more zeros being added onto the number (already at eight decimal places) that bitcoin can have.

Exchanges have for a while now have enabled traders to trade in bitcoin for alt crypto at nine and even ten decimal places - have you ever noticed those evil exchanges doing such a terrible thing??

Have you ever received a letter in the mail (usually from a council or utility (power/water etc)) and noticed that even in this day and age their franked stamp is in a tenth of a cent postage paid?

I'm sure there's other pesky examples out there how you're being diddled by extra zeros without even knowing it's occurring.
legendary
June 26, 2021, 07:11:31 AM
signing a contract that is measured in millisats is not signing a bitcoin transaction

having a bank note saying "we promise to pay the bearer 10pounds of silver" is not actually silver

but as you say doomad
having Kyat and exchanging it for a more valuable currency
is what happens in LN
have millisats and then exchange it for bitcoin
(converting a htlc into a close session bitcoin transaction)

when you can understand the concept of an payment in millisats(htlc).. being a separate thing to an exchange to a bitcoin transaction at a different time. then you might understand that the HTLC(msat) payment (agreement of who owes what) is not the same as a bitcoin transaction.

you seem soo obsessed to the point of being misleading by only wanting to point at the close session exchange and broadcast part.. and completely arrogantly and ignorantly not thinking about the IN LN payment part

but for once. accept this topic is about what happens WITH IN LN at the payment of HTLC

seems you have been mis-informing windfury about the onchain(btc) gold. being exchanged for an offchain
token(msat)
where a protocol is 'trusted' to convert/exchange.. however.. as with all bitcoin principles:
unconfirmed transactions are never guaranteed. never accept zero confirms..
definitely dont trust(think its guaranteed) payments in converted/exchanged units of measure bitcoin does not even understand

its actually much safer to tell people the truth about the flaws and isssues and risks of LN so people can make informed decisions about using it. rather then being hyped up to use it and learn the hard way
telling people the risks and letting them try it. is more trusting than fluffing up and misguiding them and seeing them fall fowl to the risks
legendary
Activity: 3724
Merit: 3063
Leave no FUD unchallenged
June 26, 2021, 06:52:57 AM
doomad can say all the BS he wants but i quoted something from the devs of a LN wallet from the LN wallet github that counters doomads fluff

so get the hint.. from the LN devs themselves: read it and weep
// MilliSatoshi are the native unit of the Lightning Network. A milli-satoshi
// is simply 1/1000th of a satoshi. There are 1000 milli-satoshis in a single
// satoshi. Within the network, all HTLC payments are denominated in
// milli-satoshis. As milli-satoshis aren't deliverable on the native
// blockchain, before settling to broadcasting, the values are rounded down to
// the nearest satoshi.

No one is disputing the existence of millisats.  You aren't "countering" anything.  We're disputing your total lack of logic in jumping to the completely flawed and asinine conclusion that a difference in the number of decimal places = IOUs.

Get hold of some Uzbekistani Som or Burmese Kyat and then try exchanging it for a more valuable currency.  Watch the rounding occur because there aren't enough decimal places to cope with the conversion.  Try and apply your same broken thinking there and your argument completely falls apart.
legendary
June 26, 2021, 06:40:18 AM
But it’s NOT the same. No one signed, and issued a worthless piece of paper in Lightning, trusting the counterparty’s ability to pay. In Lightning, you literally need an onchain transaction to open/fund a channel, so you are not sending anything worthless to the counterparty.

you mention words like trust and signed.
there are LN walets out their that create channels before a bitcoin transaction is confirmed and locked
there are probably wallets that are using elthree where the channels 'collateral' are not bitcoin transactions
but just purely a balance authorised by a factory where users have to request that balance to be converted to a bitcoin if they ever want to truly exit LN

friends in my neighbourhood know i have lots of funds and am good for it to give them money.
but i can sign anything and show them a bank statement that proves im worth it.
but what im signing is not actually the bank account.
there is still the trust that LATER i will pay what thy are OWED

a contract of whats owed is not the same as a confirmed settled onchain transaction

signing something measured in millisats is not signing a bitcoin transaction

you really do not know all the flaws do you.

devs can make LN wallets that can agree on any silly thing or ignore any silly thing they like. as LN is not a network wide audited payment system.. its just an agreement within the 2 individuals. where those and only those 2 individuals agree on their own terms

i could have channels of(im B)
     C  D
     | /
A--B--E
     | \
     G  F
where BA uses one protocol. where our agreements are measured in millisats
where BC uses another protocol where our IOU are measured in sats
where BD uses another protocol where our IOU are measured in bits
where BE uses another protocol where our IOU are measured in L-btc
where BF uses another protocol where our IOU are measured in furballs
where BG uses another protocol where out IOU are measured in memes

where by when its time to settle/exit LN then we convert the HTLC into a bitcoin transaction
much like HTLC converts millisats to sats

please learn about HTLC's it might really help you out

also each channel can do as many silly or trusted things between us as we can imagine.
as long as we agree on it.
heck it doesnt even matter if the 12 decimals are called millisats or kitten furballs..
it doesnt even have to be 12 decimals. we could use 24 if we wanted.

we dont even have to sign a htlc. we can instead decide to agree on using cat emoji's
the LN network of 32k peers is not auditing our payments within the channel
heck we could be using units of measure of kittyfluff if we want to.

secondly you obsess about the blockchain locks but you dont wish to understand the stuff happening inside LN

the in channel HTLC is not a bitcoin transaction. the denominations the format just dont fit into bitcoins onchain rules. try to understand that then all previous posts might make sense to you
HTLC do not and cannot be broadcast to the bitcoin network
please for the hundredth time.. learn this stuff

the other thing is take any historic IOU. 1890's bank notes dont need countersigning. but were an iou of gold
a cheque doesnt need countersigning. but until its cleared its not settled and thus an iou
even a unconfirmed bitcoin transaction is an IOU(spoiler dont accept zero confirms)

heck i have a raw TX here with gmaxwells address on it..
i signed my transaction..
but its not actually in any mempool or blockchain. soo the question "does it really exist and will gmax ever actually get it" (spoiler:no)
i know he might like to argue that on this forum i have just announced he is owed something.
but .. ofcourse.. not on blockchain=not real

lastly HTLC's get renegged all the time. thats the point. people renegotiate how much each other owes them without actually settling

im surprised it takes you years to even understand these basic concepts of trade, negotiations, contracts.. as its pretty common life stuff
legendary
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1818
June 26, 2021, 03:29:00 AM

as for the others debating the concept of IOU
its very simple.
a HTLC is not a bitcoin broadcastable tx.
the denominations will not be understood by bitcoin.
when travelling through routes its not measured in satoshis.

also
if i wrote you a raw tx that was broadcastable. i signed it.. but.. i have yet to broadcast it and thus its not a confirmed transaction on the blockchain.. can you claim the funds are yours now free and clear settled. or that you are possibly waiting and hoping for funds you now think i owe you..
the answer is. your still stuck at the IOU stage until its actually confirmed on the blockchain.

If Lightning transactions are made up of IOU’s, then what entity issued those IOUs? Or is it actually NOT the same as the IOUs in the real world that the issuer can NOT pay the holder of said IOU? Because, you are NOT sending anything worthless in Lightning. They are actually SIGNED TRANSACTIONS that have not been included in the blockchain yet.

when you are at a bar. and to do a favour for a friend.. you and the friend agree on an IOU.
however its an IOU and remains an IOU until its actually 'paid up' and settled..

But it’s NOT the same. No one signed, and issued a worthless piece of paper in Lightning, trusting the counterparty’s ability to pay. In Lightning, you literally need an onchain transaction to open/fund a channel, so you are not sending anything worthless to the counterparty.
legendary
June 25, 2021, 06:02:14 PM
when you are at a bar. and to do a favour for a friend.. you and the friend agree on an IOU.
however its an IOU and remains an IOU until its actually 'paid up' and settled..
I like this analogy, but you got it slightly wrong. In LN, you hold collateral over your friend. If he doesn't fulfill his IOU, it will cost him more, so he has a reason to be honest and it's very unlikely for you to lose your money.

so as you say IN LN you hold IOU

as for asking me about my LN usage
i am not a fangirl that uses LN for its intended use with its limited scope of trying to show off how it works
EG making penny value transactions for silly forum avatars just to show off LN
instead i have used it to see where the flaws are. i have looked at the code i have studied it and i have done many things.

unlike some

the bitcoin funds on the blockchain that are locked are the collateral
the millisats on LN or the L-BTC tokens on liquid are just pegged tokens and not the collateral.

EG 1950's bank notes were not the collateral of gold.. gold is the collateral of gold. and bank notes are just the IOU that can be redeemed for gold 70 years ago

there are no bitcoins in LN or liquid

atleast most liquid devs can be honest about calling the tokens, tokens. shame some people in this topic like doomad and windfury who are not even devs cant grasp the concept

the IN LN payments have no penalties..
what doomad and windfury keep talking about is the settling up/close session stuff

ill give them another example
you WIRE TRANSFER funds into paypal. and then you make paypal balance payments to ebay
when they can understand the paypal-ebay balance stuff is not the same as a bank wire deposit/withdrawal
then you might understand the differences between inside LN and outside LN

seems too many people are too hard pressed to either admit the difference or understand or even see the difference between a bitcoin transaction and a LN payment

so its no wonder they have no understanding

as for doomads usual superman to the rescue defence of windfury.. yet again doomad flew in too fast and tried to throw punches too fast without realising what he was doing.

so one more time
THIS IS NOT ABOUT THE BITCOIN ONCHAIN SETTLING TRANSACTIONS

this is about the IN LN PAYMENTS
they are measured in millisats and those contracts CAN BE RENEGGED ON in multiple ways
hense the IOU
an IOU is a contract that has not been settled

why.. well thats easy ..because the LN HTLC IN MILLISATS are not the same format or denomination as a bitcoin settlement transaction. and the funds are not settled/cleared/guaranteed to clear
there are many ways to reneg on the IOU
not just within LN
not just at the countersign of the settlement
not just at the broadcast
not just at the mempool

doomad can say all the BS he wants but i quoted something from the devs of a LN wallet from the LN wallet github that counters doomads fluff

so get the hint.. from the LN devs themselves: read it and weep
// the nearest satoshi.
[/quote]

if you are still unsure.. try reading the code first. there are many examples but i showed the most layman version because it seems alot of people cannot read  anything more difficult that a glossy promotional advert graphic

and yes even i cant believe that doomad after 4 years is still saying the same fluff without checking
its as if he doesnt want to be truthfull. he just wants to be loyal to his wife windfury
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
June 25, 2021, 11:51:41 AM
I like this analogy, but you got it slightly wrong. In LN, you hold collateral over your friend. If he doesn't fulfill his IOU, it will cost him more, so he has a reason to be honest and it's very unlikely for you to lose your money.

its like writing a cheque. yes you signed it.... yes you might also have a debit card thats used as a 'cheque guarantee card' to prove you have worth.. but knowing the cheque is not going to be cleared that same hour. allows the other party to mess around and spend his funds elsewhere. making what you are owed.. not arrive in the end
Bad comparison: back when we still used checks, they had a guaranteed amount. Why else would anyone accept it?

where msat units 4 significant figures different than bitcoin sats
You mean 3: the "m" is a standard metric prefix for 1/1000th.

if you cannot tell the difference between an Msat and an sat. then dont reply
M stands for 106, m stands for 10-3, and you use both in the wrong way. Talk about irony.

@franky1: how often have you actually used the LN to make payments? Maybe you should just try it a few more times, and see for yourself that all the things you worry about aren't happening.
Activity: 266
Merit: 20
June 25, 2021, 11:43:09 AM
IOUs can be reneged upon.  Cheques can be reneged upon.  

And LN hubs can refuse transactions.

It was one of the attacks listed in my post, that Rath deleted just because LoyceV called me a troll and asked to have my post deleted. If you want to know now, google it.

Any Offchain transaction is an IOU, until confirmed ONCHAIN.
Denying that is intellectually dishonest.

legendary
Activity: 3724
Merit: 3063
Leave no FUD unchallenged
June 25, 2021, 11:08:39 AM
Same old story

I guess it couldn't last, you're back to spouting nonsense again.  There's a crucial distinction you appear to be neglecting.  Whether that's deliberate on your part or not, I suppose only you will know for sure.  

IOUs can be reneged upon.  Cheques can be reneged upon.  This is not the case when you receive a payment via LN.  Once the other channel participant has signed over a transaction and you have acknowledged it, the only way they can possibly back out on that payment is by attempting to spend from an outdated commitment state, which puts them at serious risk of losing their entire balance within the channel.  Provided you are online to monitor it and don't make any mistakes, you will be able to redeem any balance sent to you via LN.

If the other party became unresponsive before signing over their transaction, then that's equivalent to them becoming unresponsive before sending an on-chain transaction.  Either way, you don't get paid.  Yet you keep insinuating other people can use LN to withhold funds from you in a way they can't do on-chain, but this is untrue.  You can close the channel and broadcast it to the blockchain at any time, providing you are using the latest commitment state.

In fact, the bigger issue is if they become unresponsive when you are trying to pay them.  If that situation arises, you may have to wait for the timelock to expire before you use those same funds to make another payment to a different merchant/business/service/whatever.

I'm pretty sure you know all this by now, since I've been telling you the same thing for what feels like half a decade now, so why continue to be so disingenuous with your choice of words?  It's not an IOU.  It's not anything like an IOU.  You can certainly continue to call it one, but I'll continue to insult your intelligence/integrity (still honestly can't tell which one I'm supposed to be calling into question, perhaps you'll clarify that one day?).

No doubt you'll reply with "bUt FaCtOrIeS!!!111", but will once again neglect to mention that those will be completely optional for those who may wish to utilise them.  And "bUt MiLlIsAtS!!!111", but you seem to be the only person who has ever somehow perceived that as a problem in the history of ever, so yeah, who cares?  I'm going to be laughing if we ever do have a hardfork that increases the number of decimal places in the base protocol.  What would you rant about then?

Just stop.  Please.  You're an embarrassment to yourself and the entire community.  
legendary
June 25, 2021, 08:38:11 AM

as for the others debating the concept of IOU
its very simple.
a HTLC is not a bitcoin broadcastable tx.
the denominations will not be understood by bitcoin.
when travelling through routes its not measured in satoshis.

also
if i wrote you a raw tx that was broadcastable. i signed it.. but.. i have yet to broadcast it and thus its not a confirmed transaction on the blockchain.. can you claim the funds are yours now free and clear settled. or that you are possibly waiting and hoping for funds you now think i owe you..
the answer is. your still stuck at the IOU stage until its actually confirmed on the blockchain.

If Lightning transactions are made up of IOU’s, then what entity issued those IOUs? Or is it actually NOT the same as the IOUs in the real world that the issuer can NOT pay the holder of said IOU? Because, you are NOT sending anything worthless in Lightning. They are actually SIGNED TRANSACTIONS that have not been included in the blockchain yet.

heck other factors you need to consider(as its obvious you have avoided)
regarding the close session transactions
everything unconfirmed in a mempool is just waiting to be settled but no guarantee it will confirm
again. dont accept zero confirms. is a principal thats been around forever in bitcoin

its like writing a cheque. yes you signed it.... yes you might also have a debit card thats used as a 'cheque guarantee card' to prove you have worth.. but knowing the cheque is not going to be cleared that same hour. allows the other party to mess around and spend his funds elsewhere. making what you are owed.. not arrive in the end

now take a breath. because the bit below is about the internal payments within LN. which are not to be confused with the close channel transactions.
note:
a close session/commitment transaction or htlc. are not the same thing.
payments within LN use Msat
where they do not conform to the bitcoin network format

where msat units 4 significant figures different than bitcoin sats
and where a payment using msats wont be accepted by the bitcoin network
then you realise that doing payments in msats wont get confirmed. until you later convert the iou into something bitcoin will accept(msat divide by 1000)

if you cannot tell the difference between an Msat and an sat. then dont reply
// the nearest satoshi.
msats. aka LN denominated tokens are not bitcoin satoshi's
LN payments on the LN network use Msats
before settling to broadcast.
a LN tokened payment needs to be converted to a bitcoin native sat amount.

in short and in very layman terms
a LN payment in Msat. is an IOU. that needs to be converted into a different 'note' that can then be settled
Pages:
Jump to: