Pages:
Author

Topic: The Lightning Network node experience - page 10. (Read 3480 times)

Activity: 130
Merit: 58
November 06, 2021, 01:35:34 PM

I am running a lightning node (LND) for a long time.
But I didn't look too much into details of its operation
but I actually would like to do that if it does not take too much effort.

Are there any tools available to diagnose the performance of an LND node in some detail ?
(usage history of channels etc.)
Probably there are. Can anybody provide any info on that ?

Thanks in advance, A.
legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6231
Crypto Swap Exchange
November 06, 2021, 08:20:11 AM
No, I hardly ever route payments lower than 10k satoshi. There is usually an interval of a few hours between them.

I think the largest I ever routed was in the low 30k range. Most of mine seem to be in the 1500 sat or lower range.
On the other hand I have under 150 failed routing attempts combined since the beginning of the year.

Guess it's just what other nodes we are connected to and how much is in the channels.

That or nobody loves me :-(

Will be interesting to see what other people have seen with their nodes.

-Dave

legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131
November 06, 2021, 07:08:35 AM
Most of my fees are 1 or 2 sat. I have it set to minimum.

I have recently set my fees to 0/0 for some of my channels because they become totally unbalanced. I usually keep my fee rates around 15-30 ppm with one exception - the channel with bfx-lnd1 node. I routed quite a few transactions through it with a fee rate > 90 ppm. All of my channels have 0 msat base fee now.

Are you seeing any bursts like this?:

No, I hardly ever route payments lower than 10k satoshi. There is usually an interval of a few hours between them.
legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6231
Crypto Swap Exchange
November 05, 2021, 10:07:12 PM
Quoting myself from earlier today:
...I have seen a major uptick in transactions routing through my nodes over the last few weeks. Not a major amount, but where my 3 nodes would do 5 a month I have been averaging about 7 or 8 a week since mid October. Anyone else seeing this?

-Dave

So you seem to be both routing and charging a lot more on average then me.
Most of my fees are 1 or 2 sat. I have it set to minimum.

Are you seeing any bursts like this?:

I posted about it back in January and still see these kind of transactions in bursts, then they stop again.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.56082955

-Dave
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131
November 05, 2021, 09:44:32 PM
Note: This thread is self-moderated to prevent it from being derailed. Please, keep the discussion on Lightning implementations and your experience of running a node. Any related questions are welcome.

I have been running my current c-lightning node for over 4 months now so I would like to share some data with you. I would appreciate if other node operators could share their experience, thoughts and anything else like plugins, fee strategy, third-party software.

My node's URI is 0273da0a525390c36857841e208f1d289275c76ebfa7ecfde697c6cbf4f235b4f5@fjpmf23cd2c6sqp7e4wzexa6ixkttl3jabivldakwq733tw634ymjbid.onion:9735

My node has successfully routed 143 payments (until the 31st October) with ~0.09 BTC capacity and 5 active channels. Here's a breakdown of my earnings from payment routing into each month:

July: 539.54 sat/17 forwards

August: 114.64 sat/34 forwards

September: 161.75 sat/28 forwards

October: 75.56 sat/64 forwards

The largest payment I have ever routed was 960,320 satoshi and I got paid 77.825 satoshi for it. The highest fee I have ever charged was 91.476 satoshi for a 952,385 satoshi payment. 23 forwards were free of charge. As you can see, I made the highest profit in July. That's probably because I was adjusting my fee policy for each channel manually every few days unlike the other months - I adjusted my fee policy only at the beginning and at the end of each month. I haven't used any fee auto-adjusting plugins yet.

While it's true that earnings from my Lightning node do not cover the electricity cost of my server (which I also use for other projects anyway), I have already earned back the fees I paid to open my channels. Note that some of my channels were not opened by me which means that I did not have to pay anything for them. Also, I saved some money by opening more than one channel in a single transaction and opening dual-funded channels so that I would not have to worry about using paid third-party services to balance my channels.

You might be surprised by the number of failed forwards - 389 payments. Why are there so many of them? More than 95% of them failed at some further point in the route. It's difficult to tell how many of them were legitimate payments and not channel/route probing attempts. I used some website a couple of time to probe routes from/to my node and each time I would get another three failed payments.
Pages:
Jump to: