Pages:
Author

Topic: "THE LIST" - page 12. (Read 27374 times)

legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1002
Strange, yet attractive.
April 13, 2015, 08:03:16 PM
^And what's worse is that he's continuously right. That must really get the mods' goat

It's not that hard to update The List; all the new sockpuppets are now added (left only 1 out just for the lolz, can you notice which is it?). Grin
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004
April 13, 2015, 12:36:36 PM
so if 10 people have to add him to their lists, or take 5 seconds retrieving your updated list, then it's a draw, and if more people do, he wins?
Eventually if he will notice that less and less people are willing to talk and discuss, and how easy it is for people to ignore him he will give up on this I think. People like him do it for the lols so if no one will notice him it will be over.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1029
April 13, 2015, 10:46:04 AM
so if 10 people have to add him to their lists, or take 5 seconds retrieving your updated list, then it's a draw, and if more people do, he wins?
legendary
Strange, yet attractive.
April 13, 2015, 09:53:51 AM
A nice list, but some of them like Lambchop are trolling from a new sock every week, so the list will need frequent updates.

As I wrote to him yesterday; "it takes 50 seconds to create a new account and only 5 seconds to add it to the list" Wink
I don't mind revising the list several times a day. Until he decides it's not worth it following the same tactics anymore. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1778
Merit: 1043
#Free market
April 13, 2015, 07:27:53 AM
I predict a new spam wave with the introduction of the "avatar campaign" maybe the unique valid solution is the "ignore function".

Unfortunately the "ignore" function is rather poor as you still see in your watchlist (or new replies to your post) the reply even if when you click on it the new post shows "this user is currently ignored" (i.e. it is like a known salesperson calling your phone where you can see that they are someone you don't want to talk to but you still had to be annoyed by your phone ringing in the first place).

I have prototyped with my own forum how to completely get rid of all ignored posters posts (so they don't even register at all) - hopefully maybe the new forum will do a better job of this (technically it isn't that hard to do).

Have you tried to propose your ignore function to theymos or contact the slickage team (for the new forum software version)? I agree with you, here the ignore function doesn't work properly so it cannot be called "ignore function".
legendary
Strange, yet attractive.
April 13, 2015, 06:52:17 AM
=snip=
 Besides, both Stolfi & Varoufakis are Economists (OK Yianis is first a Mathematician and he has my respect just for that); and they may don't want BTC to succeed; because this will render their job obsolete... Wink

You are talking about JorgeStolfi, right? His signature:

"Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success."

I think he is interested in Bitcoin's success.

Yes. I was referring to Jorge. I think too he's interested in BTC success (or failure for that matter). Not sure I can explain though, why he spends so much time in here.

@Spooderman:
I have the same feeling about him; I explained on the above post why I think this is happening.
legendary
April 13, 2015, 05:23:18 AM
I think he spends far too much time on this forum to be successful in any other field by this point.

I had a few debates with him after which I realised I was talking to a brick wall.

But I guess that was in the wall observer thread.....
Activity: 560
Merit: 509
I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!
April 13, 2015, 02:45:15 AM
=snip=
 Besides, both Stolfi & Varoufakis are Economists (OK Yianis is first a Mathematician and he has my respect just for that); and they may don't want BTC to succeed; because this will render their job obsolete... Wink

You are talking about JorgeStolfi, right? His signature:

"Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success."

I think he is interested in Bitcoin's success.
legendary
Strange, yet attractive.
April 12, 2015, 07:01:05 PM

If you think and try to reason why all these people come in here trying to disrupt a good idea for a better economic future; there's only one answer coming in mind. That is to gain a piece of the pie. What way? By trying to persuade others that their "solution" is not viable, it's not worth it, it's a Ponzi etc etc. Being in academia I like to think that Stolfi doesn't fall into that category though.

I've met many professors that are naive enough to believe that THEIR opinion is the only one which matters, no matter what you will do to convince them otherwise. That's not the way Scientists work. We tend to throw an idea and hope for a sane discussion that either will prove us right or wrong. It works in Physics, Chemistry, Biology even IT. It doesn't seem to be working for Economic Science though.

Not to mention I don't count Economics a "science" at all... Grin

Even though I don't read a single word he writes, he does make me wonder. He's an important fella in his field and surely has better things to do than write vast tracts on something he's convinced is out to get us all. Where does the time come from?

Ah well. I'm sure he's a delight to sit around a campfire with on Ipanema beach as long as you steer the subject away from that area.

He's not the only one you know. Even Yianis (Varoufakis) has the same opinion about BTC. He's convinced that due to its non-inflational properties it will never be able to be what's destined to. You know; maybe they're right; but this project, if you look deeper it incorporates more than one science and -up until now- it proves them wrong! What'll be? I don't know. Neither they do.

We humans are rather peculiar with change. We tend to oppose to it; we don't like new stuff messing around with our lives and disrupting our future to a way that (in this case) is unimaginable and probably totally unpredictable. That's the problem. Besides, both Stolfi & Varoufakis are Economists (OK Yianis is first a Mathematician and he has my respect just for that); and they may don't want BTC to succeed; because this will render their job obsolete... Wink
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
April 12, 2015, 06:48:44 PM

If you think and try to reason why all these people come in here trying to disrupt a good idea for a better economic future; there's only one answer coming in mind. That is to gain a piece of the pie. What way? By trying to persuade others that their "solution" is not viable, it's not worth it, it's a Ponzi etc etc. Being in academia I like to think that Stolfi doesn't fall into that category though.

I've met many professors that are naive enough to believe that THEIR opinion is the only one which matters, no matter what you will do to convince them otherwise. That's not the way Scientists work. We tend to throw an idea and hope for a sane discussion that either will prove us right or wrong. It works in Physics, Chemistry, Biology even IT. It doesn't seem to be working for Economic Science though.

Not to mention I don't count Economics a "science" at all... Grin

Even though I don't read a single word he writes, he does make me wonder. He's an important fella in his field and surely has better things to do than write vast tracts on something he's convinced is out to get us all. Where does the time come from?

Ah well. I'm sure he's a delight to sit around a campfire with on Ipanema beach as long as you steer the subject away from that area.
legendary
Strange, yet attractive.
April 12, 2015, 06:43:54 PM
the trolls on this forums are doing my head.

please tell me stolfi is in there?

He's not directly abusive or overwhelmingly pointless. Quite a few people do engage with him, though I've no idea why.

I have had him on ignore for an awful long time though and once I realised he was on Reddit I specifically downloaded an extension purely to ignore him.

Not A List candidate in the same way as most of those names though.

Not to mention I don't count Economics as a "science" at all... Grin
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
April 12, 2015, 06:42:09 PM
extensions for the Forum moderation  Huh
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
April 12, 2015, 06:33:39 PM

He's not directly abusive or overwhelmingly pointless. Quite a few people do engage with him, though I've no idea why.

I have had him on ignore for an awful long time though and once I realised he was on Reddit I specifically downloaded an extension purely to ignore him.

Not A List candidate in the same way as most of those names though.
legendary
Strange, yet attractive.
April 12, 2015, 06:32:20 PM

No; despite his erroneous and misleading posts, I find him amusing and sometimes (when I have the time) I like responding to him. He's not much of a troll really, I think that in order to prove his points he makes a great effort trying to reason the unreasonable. This alone amuses me...

If you want though, you can easily add him to your list...
legendary
April 12, 2015, 06:22:53 PM

April 12, 2015, 05:59:00 PM
good word for that  lol...so how does bitcointalk get rid of bots making stupid messages... i that that was a troll
legendary
Strange, yet attractive.
April 12, 2015, 05:18:05 PM
what is a troll??

troll
One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=troll
April 12, 2015, 04:42:38 PM
what is a troll??
legendary
Strange, yet attractive.
April 12, 2015, 03:13:23 PM
Thanks for the list @macsga.
I'm going to start checking that profiles to decide if it's appropriate (or not) adding them to my bitcointalk ignore list.

They're just sockpuppets accounts or something else?

Mostly sockpuppets and some offensive users there. It's been questioned if they will remain, or if the list will get bigger. Under no circumstances this is a list that will contain only "bears" or "bulls". This list is an effort to contain the spam & insultive posts of certain individuals and I decided to share it with you because it was a common thought into the Wall Observer thread (where is the place they tend to abuse more).

Cheers.
Activity: 560
Merit: 509
I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!
April 12, 2015, 02:46:01 PM
=snip=
Anyways, this post was about ignoring newbies and I need to stick to that only. I hope that newbie jail is implemented soon as they not only spam the forum but also misuse the trust rating.

Newbie Jail won't come back. It is useless and make "real" contributors to turn away from forum. Spammers will spam. AFAIK you only need to wait some hours to get out of the Jail and there won't be any limit thereafter. But the current time-limit is prettier than Newbie Jail as time-limit is there. It will help to decrease spam in a long run but Newbie Jail will only decrease spam at first, after they are out, they are free to make as many posts as they want without any time limit.

Well if you really want to filter the crap apart from the valuable ones, you really need to do some heavy work to achieve positive results. Campaign managers do a lot of work, but filtering and setting some standards before accepting users is a good way for them to save money, too. so why not add an extra effort in managing the said campaigns? Setting limits to the number of users who are eligible to join the campaign is just one way of reducing the number of crappy posts in this forum. If this is done by campaign managers, we could still see the valuable topics that should be discussed regarding bitcoins.

Most of them won't. Read CIYAM's post. In simple sentence, more posts = more advertisement.

Crap posts will be deleted, anyway and they don't want to pay for it but they may get some view before the crap gets deleted.
Pages:
Jump to: