Pages:
Author

Topic: "THE LIST" - page 15. (Read 27374 times)

legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1086
Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer
April 10, 2015, 03:11:16 PM
did you accidentally lock that thread?

No - what happened was that I was unable to "quote" any other post (gave an error) and then no-one was able to see any new posts via the Watchlist - so I locked it as there was simply no point to the topic.

Interesting how that happened maybe.
Activity: 333
Merit: 252
April 10, 2015, 03:07:08 PM
The whole "ad-sig" this has IMO become a major blight on this once useful forum (that is now mostly full of useless posts).

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/lets-see-if-there-are-any-forum-members-really-trying-to-defend-ad-sig-posting-1019792

did you accidentally lock that thread?

I really don't understand why  ad-sigs are allowed here. This is something very easy
to ban, so if there are people spending any time at all moderating this forum, they could
do it easily.

It might be that historically tipping and micropayments  was thought of as a nice
feature of Bitcoin and ad-sigs were a way to foster that. But the result is clearly
that the forum is drowned in crap.
Activity: 4
Merit: 0
April 10, 2015, 12:48:01 PM
IMO this thread is actually talking about user with rubbish posts, it doesnt mean that the rubbish post always comes from those with sig ads, it could be comes from those who are farming some account...

You make account farming sound like it's a bad thing.  I'm grazing this one even as we type, by adding my incisive commentary to this conversation.  As soon as this account is old enough and properly fattened, I'm going to sell it for a fraction of a coin in the digital goods section of this very forum.
...so that others could continue to contribute, but with paid signatures.

Cheers!
legendary
April 10, 2015, 12:18:57 PM
Admittedly I can't back up my 99% claim (so it could be vastly exaggerated) but I would be very surprised if the percentage of useless posts was under 50% (am not sure how we can prove this though).

Personally I am opposed to people getting paid to post at all but maybe that is also because I don't get paid to code (yet put in generally a hundred hours per week of coding effort).

And yes - I won't continue a discussion with an ad-sig poster any further (he is welcome to create an alt to join the other topic - but like most lazy ad-sig posters he won't bother).
Activity: 189
Merit: 100
April 10, 2015, 12:13:22 PM
If you were to discuss about rubbish post from the sig ads poster, it will be better if you open up a new thread with such title

It has been tried several times but unfortunately they get attacked by the ad-sig posters (which is why you have to self-moderate them) and by the mods themselves (yes - unfortunately most of the mods have ad-sigs).

... You point is invalid, if a forum team puts a signature ad then all your posts and fight are useless (IMHO). They should give to the community a better example and remove the sig ad (is this the thing that you want?).
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1002
Strange, yet attractive.
April 10, 2015, 12:13:12 PM
No problem you are welcome, however I don't prefer to add users to ignore list because it is better (in my honest opinion) to read all the posts instead to don't read them. In this way we can "learn" more about bitcoin and other things (I know it is really annoying to read a troll write the same thing , and spread FUD in all the topics .... but who care?).

It is. But in the last few months we've witnessed an enormous noise to signal increase, making technically impossible to read the information within a thread. For what it's worth, apart from the sockpuppets, I constantly unignore people from the list for a short time to revise my decision... Wink

PS: List updated. This thread seems to be a sockpuppet magnet Tongue

Yes (also) your opinion is valid, however I think also the personal list is a personal thing but maybe it could be possible to create a standard ignore list (of valid and obviously troll and sockpuppets). For example few users in your list are real sockpuppets but I am still quiet in read their posts.

As I previously stated, I'm open to suggestions. If you feel like removing one (or more) please state their nicknames. I will revise their posts and will remove them.

@CIYAM:
It seems to me your thesis has a point. But I'd categorize it in between "good" and "evil". You see, not everything in life is "black or white" - actually, most things are (more than) 50 shades of gray! Grin

I find your estimation of "only 1% of the sig posts are worthy" a bit exaggerating. There are plenty of posts that certify your canon, but under no circumstances there are 99%.

Last but not least, as I wrote on the OP, this is my personal ignore list that it's open to suggestions. If you feel like contributing in any way, please do so, you're very welcome.

Cheers.
legendary
April 10, 2015, 12:11:12 PM
If you were to discuss about rubbish post from the sig ads poster, it will be better if you open up a new thread with such title

It has been tried several times but unfortunately they get attacked by the ad-sig posters (which is why you have to self-moderate them) and by the mods themselves (yes - unfortunately most of the mods have ad-sigs).
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000
April 10, 2015, 12:09:12 PM
The whole "ad-sig" this has IMO become a major blight on this once useful forum (that is now mostly full of useless posts).

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/lets-see-if-there-are-any-forum-members-really-trying-to-defend-ad-sig-posting-1019792

Although there are some "ad-sig" posters that make decent posts the problem is that IMO that is about 1% at most (so the rest of us have to put up with a huge amount of rubbish to allow a small percentage of people who aren't posting rubbish "to make money").

It's actually hard to even understand why a forum dedicated to "open source software" even does this.

Would you guys really support that bitcoin.org was filled with ads and that all Bitcoin clients would display ad sigs in them also? (of course not - you'd scream bloody murder if they did that).

IMO this thread is actually talking about user with rubbish posts, it doesnt mean that the rubbish post always comes from those with sig ads, it could be comes from those who are farming some account , but I myself are aware that most of the sig ads participants could be one the major rubbish poster

legendary
Activity: 1778
Merit: 1043
#Free market
April 10, 2015, 12:05:20 PM
No problem you are welcome, however I don't prefer to add users to ignore list because it is better (in my honest opinion) to read all the posts instead to don't read them. In this way we can "learn" more about bitcoin and other things (I know it is really annoying to read a troll write the same thing , and spread FUD in all the topics .... but who care?).

It is. But in the last few months we've witnessed an enormous noise to signal increase, making technically impossible to read the information within a thread. For what it's worth, apart from the sockpuppets, I constantly unignore people from the list for a short time to revise my decision... Wink

Yes (also) your opinion is valid, however I think also the personal list is a personal thing but maybe it could be possible to create a standard ignore list (of valid and obviously troll and sockpuppets). For example few users in your list are real sockpuppets but I am still quiet in read their posts.
legendary
April 10, 2015, 12:02:21 PM

Although there are some "ad-sig" posters that make decent posts the problem is that IMO that is about 1% at most (so the rest of us have to put up with a huge amount of rubbish to allow a small percentage of people who aren't posting rubbish "to make money").

It's actually hard to even understand why a forum dedicated to "open source software" even does this.

Would you guys really support that bitcoin.org was filled with ads and that all Bitcoin clients would display ad sigs in them also? (of course not - you'd scream bloody murder if they did that).
legendary
Strange, yet attractive.
April 10, 2015, 11:58:30 AM
If only things were so simple. One single person cannot create a quality ignore list, he will always be biased and he can't get enough information, no matter who he is. People with paid signature are more likely to post low quality posts but that doesn't mean they will. There are both extremely high quality posts with signatures and garbage without any signature or reward of any kind. People can troll on one post and that doesn't mean they're always trolls and therefore should be ignored. They can be trolls and slowly grow up into top contributors of the community, or the other way around.

Because of this a list of this kind -if implemented at all- must be a hard work done by several trusted members of the forum. I suggested something like this before but even with these considerations it would be hard to maintain and it's very arguable whether it would help or not. Without a continuous team work I think it's not even worth considering it.

I totally agree on all points. I indulge you to work together and build something for everybody. I don't have anything against anyone here, I never provoked anyone, and certainly can change my decision about a person I accidentally added. If you feel like contributing, please do so. Two people are certainly better than one. We will eventually reach the "team" stage if we do it right.

Thanks for your ideas. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1469
April 10, 2015, 11:53:46 AM
If only things were so simple. One single person cannot create a quality ignore list, he will always be biased and he can't get enough information, no matter who he is. People with paid signature are more likely to post low quality posts but that doesn't mean they will. There are both extremely high quality posts with signatures and garbage without any signature or reward of any kind. People can troll on one post and that doesn't mean they're always trolls and therefore should be ignored. They can be trolls and slowly grow up into top contributors of the community, or the other way around.

Because of this a list of this kind -if implemented at all- must be a hard work done by several trusted members of the forum. I suggested something like this before but even with these considerations it would be hard to maintain and it's very arguable whether it would help or not. Without a continuous team work I think it's not even worth considering it.
Activity: 4
Merit: 0
April 10, 2015, 11:43:21 AM

Presto!
No more trolls!  Grin

What you are doing right now is called transference in the psychiatric trade; a defense mechanism allowing you to externalize your anger, macsga, to shift the blame from your own shoulders (where you will agree it correctly belongs, once you understand the mechanics of this pathology) onto others.

Fooling yourself into believing your current [tragic] predicament is, somehow, someone else's fault, only postpones the day of reckoning.
It's also pretty weak.
Undecided

He's not really sick.  He's just doing it to up his post count for his signature campaign.
legendary
Strange, yet attractive.
April 10, 2015, 11:41:38 AM

legendary
Activity: 1778
Merit: 1043
#Free market
April 10, 2015, 11:37:14 AM

This will only work for a specific (yours) profile Dogie. Sad

You should change the id number with your forum id. My ID is 211419 and yours ID is 19459.

Exactly. I only added the link to Profile. This is the same for every user.

Try with this direct link : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=;sa=ignprefs

Thanks for this. Seems to be working. I've added it directly.

legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049
┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴
April 10, 2015, 11:28:24 AM
crtl + F - marcotheminer

Yes! Not there Tongue
legendary
Strange, yet attractive.
April 10, 2015, 11:11:31 AM
a simpler way to filter:

- switch off "hide signatures" option (if you had it in on)
- Put on  Ignore everyone with an advertisement in the signature
(or  at least everyone who's not advertising their own projects).
- switch "hide signatures" back on

The reason is that these people are paid per post. So of course they post crap.

Nice info, but I beg to differ. Not everyone with signatures is posting crap. Plus; many serious campaigns have people who check on a daily basis what the members are posting. Besides, many people I know here, are using the funds from their ad campaigns for donations, supporting projects etc (I for one, I'm doing just that).

Cheers.

PS: One more added. Please update.  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
April 10, 2015, 11:00:14 AM

You should change the id number with your forum id. My ID is 211419 and yours ID is 19459.

Try with this direct link : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=;sa=ignprefs

Oh wut, I'm sure that's the one I copied! I must have got distracted and copied it again.
Activity: 333
Merit: 252
April 10, 2015, 11:00:12 AM
a simpler way to filter:

- switch off "hide signatures" option (if you had it in on)
- Put on  Ignore everyone with an advertisement in the signature
(or  at least everyone who's not advertising their own projects).
- switch "hide signatures" back on

The reason is that these people are paid per post. So of course they post crap.
legendary
Strange, yet attractive.
April 10, 2015, 10:59:59 AM

Thanks for this. Seems to be working. I've added it directly.
Pages:
Jump to: