Pages:
Author

Topic: The Log Chart Myth - page 2. (Read 4891 times)

legendary
Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010
September 06, 2011, 09:07:27 PM

If it's already mapped to a log scale, and it STILL looks parabolic, then you know it's probably oversold.  Silver did this earlier this year, then corrected.

Now, that doesn't mean bitcoin still won't go down, though, but this hasn't been tulip mania just yet.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
September 06, 2011, 09:06:41 PM
awsome you posted the same pic twice in two different threads.
Welcome to my shitlist  Grin
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
September 06, 2011, 08:58:02 PM
I find the hostility towards it very amusing and that all the naysayers come up with comparisons our the fiat money world even more so.  Grin

Since I am the one who has drawn this trend lines you deserve at least some explanation: Wink
These lines will obviously be broken at some point but when is irrelevant since you cant put a real world value on the entire potential supply of USD. Alot of emotional detachment is needed to view this trend with a rational mind.

So to make it easier for you just replace the USD with bytes of computer memory, if you think about it a little you know what I mean  Tongue

legendary
September 06, 2011, 08:46:14 PM
I find the hostility towards it very amusing and that all the naysayers come up with comparisons our the fiat money world even more so.  Grin

Since I am the one who has drawn this trend lines you deserve at least some explanation: Wink
These lines will obviously be broken at some point but when is irrelevant since you cant put a real world value on the entire potential supply of USD. Alot of emotional detachment is needed to view this trend with a rational mind.

So to make it easier for you just replace the USD with bytes of computer memory, if you think about it a little you know what I mean  Tongue
Activity: 461
Merit: 251
September 06, 2011, 08:44:54 PM
The log chart is distorted as it includes essentially irrelevant data when bitcoins were worth a few cents each.  While it's valid to include the data (it's factual) it's also irrelevant to bitcoin users today.  So what that the price now is still 1000 times higher than it was a year ago?  It doesn't change the fact that bitcoin's value is down almost 75% from its peak. 
Does this one make you happier?
legendary
Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018
September 06, 2011, 08:26:56 PM
The log chart is distorted as it includes essentially irrelevant data when bitcoins were worth a few cents each.  While it's valid to include the data (it's factual) it's also irrelevant to bitcoin users today.  So what that the price now is still 1000 times higher than it was a year ago?  It doesn't change the fact that bitcoin's value is down almost 75% from its peak. 

Maybe the Japanese can use log graphs of the Nikkei Index starting from the 1970s to make themselves feel better.  They are still in a bull market today!  Roll Eyes
Activity: 265
Merit: 250
September 06, 2011, 08:12:00 PM
You don't need to use a log chart. Simply view the standard price chart

http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/mtgoxUSD#rg60zvztgSzm1g10zm2g25 > set axis to 6-months

Now, you simply apply a Milton-Keynesian correction transform to the market data, like so:

Using this metric it is clear the value of bitcoin has stabilised on the horizontal. BUY BUY BUY
That made my laugh harder than it should.

That caught me off guard to. Seems funnier the more I look at it.
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
September 06, 2011, 07:54:53 PM

http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/mtgoxUSD#rg60zvztgSzm1g10zm2g25 > set axis to 6-months

Now, you simply apply a Milton-Keynesian correction transform to the market data, like so:

Using this metric it is clear the value of bitcoin has stabilised on the horizontal. BUY BUY BUY
That made my laugh harder than it should.
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
September 06, 2011, 07:51:39 PM

http://i.imgur.com/qqtEf.png

Activity: 210
Merit: 100
September 06, 2011, 07:38:42 PM
September 06, 2011, 04:49:00 PM
are you guys just drawing lines with paint, or are you actually fitting to some curve or something? nothing's properly labeled so I can't tell, but it seems like you're just making this shit up
Mostly just having fun with some math.

I wouldn't place much confidence in the predictive power of this model.  Too many significant hurdles yet to be overcome to say it's just a simple matter of spreading the word.
September 06, 2011, 04:43:04 PM
Log chartist reporting.

What's up?  Cool

srsly what's your problem, just thing of it this way: Blow up the chart to 2030 or so and draw a tanh() funtion over it.
It only behaves linearly (or exponential on a linear chart) because we are looking at a small fraction of it.
Are you modelling the diffusion of Bitcoin with the logistic differential equation?  Is that why you used tanh?
I'm sorry I have no idea what you are talking about   Tongue

But you might be on to something here  Wink
Oh.  If you're interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusion_of_innovations.  Notice the graph at the top of the page, and the "logistic function" link underneath.

thanks, I've already looked it up, pretty interesting.

But we have a problem: Scaling the function to the actual data would be quite a demanding task, and would require skillfull programming instead of naive curve drawing by hand  Grin
lol

Plus, I think you'd want to use the linear scaling when fitting the logistic function.  Would be a pretty bad fit, then Smiley
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
September 06, 2011, 04:42:07 PM
are you guys just drawing lines with paint, or are you actually fitting to some curve or something? nothing's properly labeled so I can't tell, but it seems like you're just making this shit up

Welcome to Bitcoin.

Please purchase your tokens now.
Activity: 15
Merit: 0
September 06, 2011, 04:40:39 PM
legendary
September 06, 2011, 04:08:15 PM
Log chartist reporting.

What's up?  Cool

srsly what's your problem, just thing of it this way: Blow up the chart to 2030 or so and draw a tanh() funtion over it.
It only behaves linearly (or exponential on a linear chart) because we are looking at a small fraction of it.
Are you modelling the diffusion of Bitcoin with the logistic differential equation?  Is that why you used tanh?

Oh.  If you're interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusion_of_innovations.  Notice the graph at the top of the page, and the "logistic function" link underneath.

thanks, I've already looked it up, pretty interesting.

But we have a problem: Scaling the function to the actual data would be quite a demanding task, and would require skillfull programming instead of naive curve drawing by hand  Grin
September 06, 2011, 04:02:18 PM
Log chartist reporting.

What's up?  Cool

legendary
September 06, 2011, 03:44:02 PM
Log chartist reporting.

What's up?  Cool

September 06, 2011, 03:42:26 PM
Log chartist reporting.

What's up?  Cool

Are you modelling the diffusion of Bitcoin with the logistic differential equation?  Is that why you used tanh?
legendary
September 06, 2011, 03:36:31 PM
I scrolled to the end of that huge picture in hope there was a funny ending to it.

There wasn't.   Sad
k fixed

Sorry not very creative  Undecided
Activity: 938
Merit: 1009
September 06, 2011, 03:27:30 PM
I scrolled to the end of that huge picture in hope there was a funny ending to it.

There wasn't.   Sad
Pages:
Jump to: