Pages:
Author

Topic: The Open Source Block Erupter Project - page 3. (Read 18899 times)

Activity: 770
Merit: 509
June 13, 2014, 03:43:30 PM
Just noticed that anyone who ordered an rxbox will receive extra hashrate after switching for rkboxes.

Looks like they paid ~$0.9/gh including psu and rpi.($0.83/gh at 480gh/s per)
Activity: 1372
Merit: 783
better everyday ♥
June 13, 2014, 03:33:02 PM
Does delayed = nonexistent?

Exactly.  No miner yet, just renders, cad drawings.

At least there's a physical picture of the RK-box, and Minersource is set to sell them July.

RXbox is anyone's guess still, no physical proof.

You don't know whether they have a working prototype or not.

Rockminer has working HW. And they are selling it for around $1.1/gh.

If $1.1/gh is overpriced, I'd love to know what you consider a good deal.

We'll see about Rxbox, for now anything involving that particular miner is pure speculation.

Rk-box is bulky, inefficient, noisy, full of wires everywhere, heavy and doesn't come with a power supply.  Not sure if it comes with a Pi either.

We shall see about "Rocket Box" when it finally launches, if it's up to spec and worth the price.
June 13, 2014, 03:24:18 PM

Exactly.  No miner yet, just renders, cad drawings.

At least there's a physical picture of the RK-box, and Minersource is set to sell them July.

You don't know whether they have a working prototype or not.

Rockminer has working HW. And they are selling it for around $1.1/gh.

If $1.1/gh is overpriced, I'd love to know what you consider a good deal.
better everyday ♥
June 13, 2014, 03:14:06 PM

Exactly.  No miner yet, just renders, cad drawings.

June 13, 2014, 03:11:36 PM

Is hardware from rockminer not being sold for $1.1/gh?
better everyday ♥
June 13, 2014, 03:03:17 PM
Rockminer RXBox doesn't exist, it's still pixie dust.  It's delayed.  It's only $1/gh in your imagination.

Only one that's shipping is the RK-BOX, which is pretty much an overpriced ugly POS.

.9 BTC or $540 for 450 GH/s or over your precious $1/gh threshold and doesn't even include the power supply.

Rxbox does in fact exist and it is not only around $1/gh in my imagination.

0.9btc is only $520 + $10 for a psu = $530 for up to 480gh/s or $1.1/gh.

Even less with preferential pricing.

No it doesn't.  Rxbox was just a render.  It does not exist, yet.  From the horse's mouth:

Rocket-BOX(RK-BOX) is diffrent to RX-BOX.

Rocket-BOX:48 BE200, short,450G~480G
RX-BOX:64 BE200,long,~600G

As RX-BOX is delayed,RK-BOX will shipped out first. And we will use RK-BOX for replacement of RX-BOX. 2RX-BOX=3RK-BOX.

Dam, you're always off or wrong with everything...
June 13, 2014, 02:38:00 PM
Rockminer RXBox doesn't exist, it's still pixie dust.  It's delayed.  It's only $1/gh in your imagination.

Only one that's shipping is the RK-BOX, which is pretty much an overpriced ugly POS.

.9 BTC or $540 for 450 GH/s or over your precious $1/gh threshold and doesn't even include the power supply.

Rxbox does in fact exist and it is not only around $1/gh in my imagination.

0.9btc is only $520 + $10 for a psu = $530 for up to 480gh/s or $1.1/gh.

Even less with preferential pricing.
Activity: 361
Merit: 250
June 13, 2014, 01:08:48 PM
Thanks Canary!

I take it that you'll be an official distributor when a product is finalized?
donator
Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060
between a rock and a block!
June 13, 2014, 01:03:13 PM
Friedcat,

Regarding the design for the new cube, will each boards of the cube require a power supply and Ethernet connection? Will the cubes need a stratum proxy to operate like your previous builds or are you updating the mining software?
it's up to the community to design this... fc released info needed for someone to jump in and start designing.  (the Cube specs to be released, will help simply create replacement blades in exciting cubes if it's designed by the community in this manner)
Activity: 361
Merit: 250
June 13, 2014, 12:59:42 PM
Friedcat,

Regarding the design for the new cube, will each boards of the cube require a power supply and Ethernet connection? Will the cubes need a stratum proxy to operate like your previous builds or are you updating the mining software?
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
June 13, 2014, 11:11:19 AM
I definitely think open sourcing the hardware is a good thing. Why waste money developing standard PCBs in parallel when that can be concentrated on developing more efficient chips?
better everyday ♥
June 13, 2014, 09:43:38 AM
Done our numbers and we are not building a cube.

Remember you are promoting this unit so the burden is on you to prove it not me. All I am saying is good luck nothing more or nothing less.

Let's see your numbers.

I don't need to prove anything as you are the one who is making such claims.

Anyone can tell that this miner would cost less to produce than hashratios $0.8/gh machines.

Have a look around plenty of examples of that happening right now with very similar designs. Be careful and good luck.

You mean like the rockminer rxbox which are being sold for around $1/gh?

Activity: 728
Merit: 500
June 12, 2014, 06:27:00 AM
Suggest you steer clear of Marto he has too many issues.
I suggest you do not write in treads about HW design, until you do something working
Tongue
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
June 12, 2014, 05:55:12 AM
Suggest you steer clear of Marto he has too many issues.
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
June 12, 2014, 05:53:12 AM
 Grin Cheesy Wink Smiley

good joke Bick
June 12, 2014, 05:36:28 AM

Remember you are promoting this unit so the burden is on you to prove it not me. All I am saying is good luck nothing more or nothing less.

Let's see your numbers.

Anyone can tell that this miner would cost less to produce than hashratios $0.8/gh machines.

Have a look around plenty of examples of that happening right now with very similar designs. Be careful and good luck.

Join the WPC and you can see all the numbers you want. Not my numbers to give. Again you are trying to sell a fabricator on this not me. So sell it. If you can prove it is profit worthy someone will jump on it.
June 12, 2014, 04:46:09 AM

Let's see your numbers.

June 12, 2014, 04:41:47 AM
I am talking about PCB costs, chip costs etc... you can't throw out difficulty projections and estimates of final miner costs and think that is the spreadsheet I am thinking of right? You need to do some due diligence. Time labour etc... just to get this all set up. Where will you source parts? Which PCB fab? Etc. Fabbed where? Shipped where? PSUs? etc etc.

There has be a factor for profit you will need before jumping in on this. Look at the nightmares already out there. Who you gonna call? And I do mean this seriously? Who?

I don't have to worry about all that. Whoever want's to sell these can find a fab.

Hashratios production cost on their bulky miner is less than $0.8/gh. Those are some real numbers.

Spondoolies material costs alone are $0.5/gh for the sp30. Also some real numbers.

If hashratio would simply switch to this more cost effective design I would guess they could eventually get production costs down to ~$0.7/gh.

It is all well and good to project the rosy numbers but in reality there are fewer and fewer people willing to build this sort of thing because it just isn't worth the effort.

That's just your opinion.

Where are some numbers to back your opinion?

Remember you are promoting this unit so the burden is on you to prove it not me. All I am saying is good luck nothing more or nothing less. Having a design doesn't mean it will be priced right. Lots of work needs to go into that if you want to make it profitable for the fabricator. That is where all your optimistic projections hit reality. What is the bottomline price. If it is too high then no one is going to buy it. Have a look around plenty of examples of that happening right now with very similar designs. Be careful and good luck.
June 12, 2014, 04:38:29 AM
I am talking about PCB costs, chip costs etc... you can't throw out difficulty projections and estimates of final miner costs and think that is the spreadsheet I am thinking of right? You need to do some due diligence. Time labour etc... just to get this all set up. Where will you source parts? Which PCB fab? Etc. Fabbed where? Shipped where? PSUs? etc etc.

There has be a factor for profit you will need before jumping in on this. Look at the nightmares already out there. Who you gonna call? And I do mean this seriously? Who?

I don't have to worry about all that. Whoever want's to sell these can find a fab.

Hashratios production cost on their bulky miner is less than $0.8/gh. Those are some real numbers.

Spondoolies material costs alone are $0.5/gh for the sp30. Also some real numbers.

If hashratio would simply switch to this more cost effective design I would guess they could eventually get production costs down to ~$0.7/gh.

It is all well and good to project the rosy numbers but in reality there are fewer and fewer people willing to build this sort of thing because it just isn't worth the effort.

That's just your opinion.

Where are some numbers to back your opinion?

There are already chips in design that will be out in August. I think your 5 - 7 month window is a bit myopic. Anyhow great you are big on the design. I hope it works out. I have serious reservations given the chip and the price of these units when you factor in everything. I will let you guys get back to working out who will fab out these designs up for you. Thanks for listening.

Which chips do you speak of?

I think the biggest competition will be bitfury and bitmain and I don't think those chips are due for a while. Maybe avalon too if they stop the exorbitant chip pricing.
June 12, 2014, 04:25:01 AM

It is all well and good to project the rosy numbers but in reality there are fewer and fewer people willing to build this sort of thing because it just isn't worth the effort especially when there are currently working designs that will probably beat this design with the next chip generation in much more datacenter friendly configuration that uses the same chips. Again seems like a lot of aluminum.

There are already chips in design that will be out in August. I think your 5 - 7 month window is a bit myopic. Anyhow great you are big on the design. I hope it works out. I have serious reservations given the chip and the price of these units when you factor in everything. I will let you guys get back to working out who will fab out these designs up for you. Thanks for listening.

Pages:
Jump to: